PDA

View Full Version : Impostor spell[PEACH]

insecure
2008-06-27, 05:30 PM
I've made this spell for a npc in my campaign, and before i begins to use it in the campaign, i will post it here so i knows if it's too overpowered or something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steal identity
Transmutation [Mind-affecting]
Level: Sor/wiz 6, brd 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 30 minutes
Range: Personal
Target: A person/creature of the same type as your own.
Duration: 2 day/level (D)

Created by a sorcerer who was an impostor, infiltrator, and spy, her real name isn't known, a long time ago, this spell is still being used today, even though it's highly illegal.

This spell let's you transform into an other person, creating the perfect disguise. While casting the spell, you needs to have the person to transform into present at least for the first ten minutes of the casting. The person needs to be willing or helpless. The person does not need to be living, but the corpse must be intact.

When you change into the new person, your physical ability scores changes to the person the spell is based on, but your mental scores remain the same. Your mind will change so that you will act more like the person (eg. walking like the person does, using the same expressions, etc), but it will still remain your own. This lets you auto-succeed on any disguise checks versus spot checks to look through the disguise, except for spot checks by family members or others with an intimate relationship to the person your disguise is based on. And even then, the spell still gives a +20 competence bonus to disguise checks versus spot checks by family members to look through the disguise. This spell gives a +30 competence bonus on disguise checks to act in person, and a +15 competence bonus on bluff checks to convince other people that you are the person the spell is based on. The maximum HD of the assumed form can not be higher than your caster level, to a maximum of 20 HD at 20th caster level. The physical ability score total increase can not be more than your caster level.

Material component:
Some papers with a description of the person, some hair, nails, and such things from the person, and rare materials worth 500 gp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think?

insecure
2008-07-07, 05:44 PM
*Bump* And some filler text.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-07, 05:53 PM
I think it's good for an NPC-only spell, especially if the campaign is full of intrigue and mystery.

itsmeyouidiot
2008-07-27, 11:10 PM
Great trick for antagonists. It could also be used for spying, or for obtaining information.

It does seem a little bit overpowered for a 6th level spell, though. Maybe 7th or 8th level?

Baron Corm
2008-07-28, 01:44 AM
"The physical ability score total increase can not be more than your caster level." There ya go. Well, if you choose a creature with 20 more strength than you, you become a much better melee class than the fighter - same attack bonus, +10 damage to all attacks. Let's make that one physical ability score point per 2 caster levels. It is untyped.... maybe per 3 or 4 caster levels. Limit that part at least is my advice, heh.

insecure
2008-08-03, 03:21 PM
"The physical ability score total increase can not be more than your caster level." There ya go. Well, if you choose a creature with 20 more strength than you, you become a much better melee class than the fighter - same attack bonus, +10 damage to all attacks. Let's make that one physical ability score point per 2 caster levels. It is untyped.... maybe per 3 or 4 caster levels. Limit that part at least is my advice, heh.

I'll add that to the spell.