PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Your Epic Destinies

nepphi
2008-06-27, 09:05 PM
I've got a Paladin named Halan, whom I've just picked out my preferred epic destiny for. He's a Paladin of Sehanine, whose third tenet is; seek new horizons and experiences, let nothing tie you down.

I'm envisioning a wandering warrior, who journeys all over, to the point that it becomes his particular interpretation of the Demigod epic destiny. He ascends as Halan the Wayfinder, god of the Journey. As he walks down his last road and out of mortal realms, every pathway in the world lights with a glittering, luminous glow, giving everyone at least one tangible glimpse into the many opportunities they have to reach out and find a way in the world.

His clergy will have a standing joke that they don't often actually pray to the Wayfinder, because he's almost never in his realm to receive prayers, but rather journeying about.

His tenets I'm still hashing out, but I think this is an interesting bit of flavor text for an epic destiny of the demigod bent.

Who else has some ideas as to how they'd like to see a destiny pan out for one of their characters?

Halcyon_Dax
2008-06-27, 10:30 PM
Haha, thats great - he can marry Avandra :smallbiggrin:

I'm thinking my Dragonborn rogue may eventually choose Demigod and ascend as a god not often worshiped, a god whos mission it is to protect creation from the horrors and knowledge of the Far Realms.

Grey Watcher
2008-06-27, 10:45 PM
Well, admittedly, Amazon.com hasn't delivered my books yet, but based on the 3.5 E epic destinies on the website, I was actually interested in playing a Druid who takes the Force of Nature destiny. Maybe s/he'd settle down and become something like Caradhras. (Pesky adventurers!) Or maybe his zeal for stopping the encroachment of civilization would make him wander the world as a storm, wreaking havoc on civilization. Heck, maybe a pair of rival druids with different outlooks on civilization could become competing weather patterns!

Ned the undead
2008-06-27, 11:09 PM
I've always been enchanted with the idea of a Lich Necromancer in his epic levels settling down in a castle near a small village. The village becomes threatened by some moderately powerful force (another living Necromancer?)
The Necromancer, having taken the Archmage destiny, comes to the aid of the villagers (who previously were frightened of him) with a small contingent of very powerful advanced skeletons. He then proceeds to "adopt" the village and sets up powerful wards, leaves undead and golems to protect the village and bolster the townguards forces, and takes students under his tutelage teaching them of all magics instead of just necromancy as his lieutenant (an Advanced, Awankened Gnoll skeleton who has 12 levels in fighter and a ridic amount of templates and trails behind his master by only a few ECL's) teaches the townguards in the art of fighting. He comes out to deal with big threats as a powerful Orc tibe lives in the mountains and cults to various Demon and Devil lords dot the rather vast and empty landscape.

TheOOB
2008-06-28, 03:49 AM
I'm acually designing two epic destinies at the moment, that may or may not ever see the light of day(over half the home brew projects I start I never finish because they either suck or I simply lose interest). The first is a phoenix warrior, a powerful being who gains many of the traits of the majestic firebird, until they eventually die the final time and get reborn as a true phoenix, bringing a little more life and majesty to the world.

The other is the shadow master, the logical progression of the ninja paragon path I'm also working on. They gain increasing power of the shadow, eventually becoming a shadow themselves, their legend carried on by sudden dramatic appearances, for good or for ill, often years apart after which they meld back into the shadows, not to be seen again for ages.

Flickerdart
2008-06-28, 09:45 AM
Awankened Gnoll
Craft Disturbing Mental Image much?

Dalantia
2008-06-28, 09:50 AM
I've been kicking around ideas for what a godslayer epic destiny would be. Until I pin that down, I'd likely just use the demigod one - when the character ascends, he would begin wandering the planes, testing himself against the gods, finding which ones were worthy and which ones were not.

At some point, though, he'd probably come back and beat the hell out of anyone that directed prayers at him on general principle.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-06-28, 09:51 AM
In homebrew terms, I think there's a real gap for Martial characters. Some kind of Conqueror path (you just plain take over the world) would work quite nicely.

Charity
2008-06-28, 10:12 AM
I'm there with you Dan...

The Brain foundation

http://www.snowbooks.com/weblog/pinky_brain.jpg

Dan_Hemmens
2008-06-28, 10:16 AM
Actually, that's one of the things that bug me about the Epic Destinies, they all seem to be tied to the idea that you get really really powerful and then just ... vanish. Either you slip off into the Elemental Chaos, or vanish into shadow, or Ascend. There's no "carve a kingdom with your own hands" option.

Charity
2008-06-28, 10:41 AM
To be entirely honest i have found the epic destinies to be utterly uninspiring.
There is only 4 to chose from, two of those are pretty class specific leaving a choice of two...
and as you say they seem to be set up to usher the characters quietly off into the wings, I prefer the final cataclysmic battle style of ending.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-06-28, 10:45 AM
Four, of which two are class specific, and one is just a blender of the others (Eternal Seeker). So basically it's Demigod.

Fortunately, Demigod is actually fairly flexible. No matter what kind of guy you are, eventually becoming God Of The Sorts Of Guy You Are is going to make a fair amount of sense.

Ned the undead
2008-06-28, 12:28 PM
Craft Disturbing Mental Image much?

TYPOS FTW!!!!!

SadisticFishing
2008-06-28, 03:20 PM
Four, of which two are class specific, and one is just a blender of the others (Eternal Seeker). So basically it's Demigod.

Fortunately, Demigod is actually fairly flexible. No matter what kind of guy you are, eventually becoming God Of The Sorts Of Guy You Are is going to make a fair amount of sense.

Haha, it's true.

Eternity Seeker is the only thing that annoys me about Epic Destinies. 25% of epic destinies.. don't do anything on their own!? Sigh. Give us a REAL Epic destiny! Eternity Seeker is later.

disorder
2008-06-28, 04:06 PM
I would assume that Wizards plans to flesh out the Epic Destinies a lot in the future...think of these four as a sneak-preview sampler. Since most campaigns will be starting at lower levels, there's time for several more books to come out before Epic Destinies really come into play.

It also makes sense for DMs and players to collaborate to build a unique Epic Destiny for each character. Once the character has been in play for 20 levels, they should have a good idea of how to customize him/her for that last climactic part of the story.

nepphi
2008-06-29, 01:58 AM
This discussion really wasn't what I'd had in mind. I'm not asking for debate on the epic destinies and their merits, I'm curious what interpretations of the epic destinies (or even alternative destinies) people have come up with.

SadisticFishing
2008-06-29, 02:08 PM
Demigod: Pure power. +2 to two stats, and regeneration 25+? Works for me. Great class, all around.

Archmage: Very good for wizards. Very, very good. More Legion's Hold? Woopie. Immunity to death once per day? Sweet.

Deadly Trickster: Very cool. Rerolling 3 attack rolls a day, also very good.

Eternity Seeker: The action point thing is GREAT. The rest? Make it up yourself.

Mewtarthio
2008-06-30, 10:10 AM
Actually, that's one of the things that bug me about the Epic Destinies, they all seem to be tied to the idea that you get really really powerful and then just ... vanish. Either you slip off into the Elemental Chaos, or vanish into shadow, or Ascend. There's no "carve a kingdom with your own hands" option.

Well, the point of Epic Destinies is that they provide a nice epilogue to your story. You become truly immortal and acquire some sort of inextinguishable legacy. Carving a kingdom with your own hands doesn't really look like an epic destiny to me: Any epic character would find it child's play to build a kingdom of their own, and kingdoms are temporal things that have a tendancy to die and be forgotten.

Now, an epic destiny I would like to see is one in which you become your own kingdom. After your mortal death, your spirit lives on and guides the actions of your people. Obviously, the "people" in question would have to somehow be a part of your legacy (say, a kingdom you founded personally, or all the descendants of your seven sons and seven daughters).

Granted, there's always the risk of genocidal extermination of your legacy, but you can handwave something in about "descendants in spirits" or somesuch.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-06-30, 11:20 AM
This discussion really wasn't what I'd had in mind. I'm not asking for debate on the epic destinies and their merits, I'm curious what interpretations of the epic destinies (or even alternative destinies) people have come up with.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. I'm putting together a low-level game at the moment, so Epic destinies aren't likely to get much of a look in, but the whole thing has a strong ancestor/hero worship element, so the "Demigod" path becomes almost default: by the time you hit that level, you're pretty much a god by definition.

Mewtarthio
2008-06-30, 12:58 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. I'm putting together a low-level game at the moment, so Epic destinies aren't likely to get much of a look in, but the whole thing has a strong ancestor/hero worship element, so the "Demigod" path becomes almost default: by the time you hit that level, you're pretty much a god by definition.

Kind of makes you wish they'd updated the "Eternal Hero" destiny from that 3.5 article, doesn't it?

historycrusader
2008-06-30, 01:19 PM
In homebrew terms, I think there's a real gap for Martial characters. Some kind of Conqueror path (you just plain take over the world) would work quite nicely.

If you need a martial epic destiny, here's one and a half skeletons I just dug up:

Warrior of Legend: Your fame has reached the point where your name is synonymous with 'warrior'. (Hector)

Kingdom Builder: The kingdom you built may not endure forever, but your legend will. All who live in your realm's land are aware that in their darkest hour, you will be called back from your rest by brave and worthy heroes. You have become the archetype by which all future rulers will be called. (Thanks, Arthur)