PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Kobold Cleric Balance Question

Marstead
2008-06-28, 12:14 AM
One of my group's players is really set on playing a kobold cleric, which is fine by me, although looking at the Kobold's PC race entry has me a little concerned about party balance. Shifty seems like a useful power, especially since it's at-wlill, but it hardly seems as good as any of the core PC powers. To make up for this, I'm considering giving the PC the Kobold Wyrmpriest's "Incite Faith" encounter power in addition to Shifty (since he happens to be a cleric). The power will be as follows (with "kobold alies" changed to just "allies"):

Incite Faith (minor; encounter)
Close burst 10, allies in the burst gain 5 temporary hit points and shift 1 square.

Is that over or under-powered, or should it work fine? The shifting part should be useful, but I don't want it to be too useful. It's great as a Leader addition, though.

Dark Tira
2008-06-28, 12:32 AM
I think you're drastically underestimating the usefulness of Shifty, it's amazing for disengaging from an enemy. Anyway, I don't think giving a Kobold Cleric Incite Faith would be overpowered simply because Kobolds make such underwhelming Clerics.

Gralamin
2008-06-28, 12:34 AM
I'd make it a feat he can grab as a sort of Channel Divinity ability.

Marstead
2008-06-28, 12:39 AM
I think you're drastically underestimating the usefulness of Shifty, it's amazing for disengaging from an enemy. Anyway, I don't think giving a Kobold Cleric Incite Faith would be overpowered simply because Kobolds make such underwhelming Clerics.

I have mostly just been preparing for this so far, I haven't really seen Shifty in action yet. I kind of assumed it would mostly just be used for adding an extra square of movement. Good point on the underwhelming cleric thing, though.

I actually really like the idea of giving him Incite Faith only as a feat he can take; it makes it a little more balanced. I'll talk to him about it. Thanks, guys!

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-28, 12:44 AM

True. And note that Temporary HP no longer stack - you just take the highest value.

SadisticFishing
2008-06-28, 12:58 AM

Excellent idea. I'd also have it stack - just add Wisdom, I guess. Channel Divinity feats tend to be underwhelming.

TheOOB
2008-06-28, 02:53 AM
Shifty is just as useful, if not more so, then almost any other racial power. Use it's effect isn't as powerful as the others, but you can't ignore the fact that it's at-will.

That said it's not as useful in the hands of a mage or cleric, who tend to use minor actions more.

The only real disadvantage kobolds have is a lack of racial feats.