PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Epic Action Points

CelestialStick
2008-06-28, 12:24 AM
Has anyone played with action points at epic levels? I've allowed them in the campaign, although people keep forgetting them and nobody's used them for quite a while. Now that they're epic level, I'm wondering whether to limit the dice to the 3d6 allowed at 20th level, or allow the dice to increase further. I as thinking about allowing 4d6 for levels 21-30, but it's not set in stone. Ideas? Thanks. :)

Lady Tialait
2008-06-28, 12:32 AM
First off, grats on getting to Epic. Secondly, go ahead and up the ante it won't hurt. Action Points won't hurt your gain in epics. Oh, and get read to hombrew ALOT...again grats.

CelestialStick
2008-06-28, 12:37 AM
First off, grats on getting to Epic. Secondly, go ahead and up the ante it won't hurt. Action Points won't hurt your gain in epics. Oh, and get read to hombrew ALOT...again grats.

Thanks, Tialait! I've been running this campaign for 6 years now, so it took a while for them to get to epic. I reward roleplaying and storyline material, so the player of the wizard has gotten his character a lot more experience than the guys who just hack and slash, and while their characters have reached only 21st and thus just become epic, his wizard actually just reached 24th, so he's been epic for a while now.

What do you mean by "get read to hombrew ALOT?" Are you suggesting that I read the Homebrew board here, or that I post to it, or something else entirely? I am actually using my own campaign world, which I started developing when I first started playing D&D back in 1978.

Thanks again! :smallsmile:

Lady Tialait
2008-06-28, 12:41 AM
there isn't a whole lot of Epic creatures and such to fight, you'll have to homebrew tons of it.

And the homebrewing takes longer, the bigger the numbers get. That is all I ment by that. I had a campagain that ran for 2 years and we got to level 35. The reason we stopped is I didn't have hours and hours to homebrew new challanges and then we just kinda dropped apart. Also, that epic of a campaign gets unfun after a while.

CelestialStick
2008-06-28, 12:48 AM
there isn't a whole lot of Epic creatures and such to fight, you'll have to homebrew tons of it.

And the homebrewing takes longer, the bigger the numbers get. That is all I ment by that. I had a campagain that ran for 2 years and we got to level 35. The reason we stopped is I didn't have hours and hours to homebrew new challanges and then we just kinda dropped apart. Also, that epic of a campaign gets unfun after a while.

Ah, I see. That's too bad about losing the fun and breaking up. Did you use action points?

I find that with templates and the rules on advancing creatures that there are plenty of monsters around for them to fight, although until two sessions ago they didn't have a combat for months, and just did mostly role-playing. That's part of why the wizard go so far ahead--he just did tons of role-playing. Anyway right now they're in the middle of a fight with a fiendish fully-advance dire shark, CR 23. It's swallowed one party member, who's half dead, and bit in half another one (with Devastating Critical) so he's all dead. :smallbiggrin: It's got a third member in its mouth and is now diving for the depths.

Of course among the best challenges are just other characters with class levels. There are some of those in the party's near-future too. I've also created a CR 25 abomination as the BBEG for the long side-quest they're pursuing. I might have to tweak him up to CR 26 by the time they get there. Anyway though it's loads of fun! :smallsmile:

Lady Tialait
2008-06-28, 01:10 AM
Sounds fun, my game's most memorable encounter was against a Phane, it scared the party from the start, and continued to Vex them.

The whole thing kinda peatered out after they all teamed up (a 6 person party at level 35) and stoped fighting eachother, then attacked Vecna...he had it coming, he kept messing with them..sense level 1....

CelestialStick
2008-06-28, 01:31 AM
Sounds fun, my game's most memorable encounter was against a Phane, it scared the party from the start, and continued to Vex them.

The whole thing kinda peatered out after they all teamed up (a 6 person party at level 35) and stoped fighting eachother, then attacked Vecna...he had it coming, he kept messing with them..sense level 1....

That's great! Vecna has been around since the Eldritch Wizardry supplement to original D&D. I played some in the last 2nd Ed module, Die Vecna, Die!, although I wasn't there for the final confrontation with Vecna. How well did your party do? Did Vecna kill them all? :-D

I think it's harder to make epic stuff for the 30s than for the 20s, I think, as you start to run out of things to advance that far. It's also harder to find things that make sense from a plot perspective and aren't just random monsters with epic powers.