PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Using Sleight of Hand on PCs...

Sylvanus
2008-06-28, 01:06 AM
So my question isn't so much as how to use the skill - that's pretty straightforward. Instead, I'm curious if folks have ideas on how to inform an adventuring party that some of their gold has been pilfered under their noses. How do other DMs break the news to their players that their coinpurses are a bit lighter than they remember?

It just seems that there would be a much more eloquent way of expressing this other than "oh, by the way, instead of 236gp, you only have 188," when said PC is at Ye Olde General Store.

I insist the grounds for this question are for a good cause, but I don't want to disclose it in case my players are frequenting the forums (which they are - we don't work very hard in our laboratory).

kpenguin
2008-06-28, 01:07 AM
When they check how much gold they have on their character sheets, I tell them that they're missing some coins. The characters spend a few rounds in-game counting and I tell them the new amount.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-28, 01:12 AM
When they check how much gold they have on their character sheets, I tell them that they're missing some coins. The characters spend a few rounds in-game counting and I tell them the new amount.

That's a good one. Of particular use is if the PCs have a small, but vital object on their beings and they go to dig it out and you say "you can't find it" :smallbiggrin:

Be sure to give 'em a chance to notice it being stolen and so forth. Theft-by-plot-device is one of the lamer ways to do these things.

Revanmal
2008-06-28, 01:43 AM
Crowds are perfect for pickpockets. If the PCs are in a crowded marketplace, describe how people are jostling and bumping them and each other as they move about their business. A smart PC will think to him/herself "I'd better check my gold."

If not, it should become obvious to them just how it may have happened. :smallamused:

Sylvanus
2008-06-28, 01:47 AM
Be sure to give 'em a chance to notice it being stolen and so forth. Theft-by-plot-device is one of the lamer ways to do these things.

Yeah, I agree with that wholeheartedly. I've had NPCs steal plot-items from the party before and that just makes everyone sour. A few coins here and there though (for fluff purposes that become apparent to the party later) should be fine.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-28, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I agree with that wholeheartedly. I've had NPCs steal plot-items from the party before and that just makes everyone sour. A few coins here and there though (for fluff purposes that become apparent to the party later) should be fine.

Actually, having the NPC try to steal a plot-coupon, but maybe failing, is totally legitimate. The chase is fun, and can be a good plothook. Heck, you can even throw in a hint on a random NPC even if the pickpocket is missed:

DM:You are in the midst of the marketplace, crowded in the midday rush.
PC:Alright, I head over to the sword shop to buy a new greatsword.
(transactions, have the PC roll a spot check while haggling to see if he notices the pickpocket, he doesn't)
DM:With a smile, the shopkeep hands over your sword. As you turn to leave, you notice a striking woman with long red hair and an eyepatch vanish glide through the crowd. A moment later, and you've lost her.
PC:Huh, that was weird. Anyhow, back to the inn.
(later)
PC:I take out the map.
DM:You rummage through your pack, but you can't find it.
PC: WHAT?
DM: Yeah, the last time you remember having it was when you checked your pack to make sure you had enough gold for the Greatsword you bought this afternoon.
PC: *stunned silence* wait... that weird girl in the crowd! The spot checks! *facepalm*

These kinds of moments are priceless, and since the player can look back in retrospect and pinpoint when it happened, they don't feel cheated, so much as enraged at the NPC. :smallbiggrin:

Glyphic
2008-06-28, 01:58 AM
My money is that it wasn't the striking woman. Why draw attention to yourself?

I bet the Greatsword did it.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-28, 02:12 AM
My money is that it wasn't the striking woman. Why draw attention to yourself?

I bet the Greatsword did it.

I don't know what game you're playing, but when was the last time you saw a female thief not dressed in a provocative or distinct fashion?

Besides, the poor bastard just had his Map (tm) stolen! Best to give him a hook, rather than make him spend all day figuring out what happened eh? :smallwink:

kirbsys
2008-06-28, 02:17 AM
Male thieves wear shiny studded leather because bright metal studs are as sneaky as ninjas in orange jumpsuits that run around yelling "Believe It!!!"

Women of the thieving persuasion wear skin-tight leather because the best way to sneak somewhere unnoticed is by making sure every guy within line of sight is staring at you.

I honestly can't remember where that joke comes from...

Glyphic
2008-06-28, 02:22 AM
Besides, the poor bastard just had his Map (tm) stolen! Best to give him a hook, rather than make him spend all day figuring out what happened eh? :smallwink:

Why does the snap need a hook; did the map end up in the river?

This is the reason Bags of Alarm were invented in 2nd edition. "Help! Help! I am Being stolen!"

And Kribsys, you're looking at Fear the Boot. Undress for Success!

Male fighters envelop their bodies in bulky, clanking plate mail. Female fighters favor stiff metal underwear.

A male rogue will wear dark leather armor with little metal studs all over it, because nothing says "stealth" like a bunch of glittering bits of metal all over the place. Ladies in the same profession lean towards the skin-tight catsuit look, because the first step in being stealthy is apparently to make sure every able-bodied man within a hundred paces is staring at you with his mouth slightly open.

Male wizards wrap themselves in thick shapeless woolen robes that would - let's face it - collect odors at an astounding rate. These robes would most likely be heavy, and itch like a fiberglass jockstrap. On the other hand, females who practice the arcane arts wear little strips of translucent gauze over their naughty bits.

It's nice to see that when it comes to apparel, roleplaying games have a lot of equality: Everybody dresses like an idiot.

Chronicled
2008-06-28, 03:02 AM
Actually, having the NPC try to steal a plot-coupon, but maybe failing, is totally legitimate. The chase is fun, and can be a good plothook. Heck, you can even throw in a hint on a random NPC even if the pickpocket is missed:

DM:You are in the midst of the marketplace, crowded in the midday rush.
PC:Alright, I head over to the sword shop to buy a new greatsword.
(transactions, have the PC roll a spot check while haggling to see if he notices the pickpocket, he doesn't)
DM:With a smile, the shopkeep hands over your sword. As you turn to leave, you notice a striking woman with long red hair and an eyepatch vanish glide through the crowd. A moment later, and you've lost her.
PC:Huh, that was weird. Anyhow, back to the inn.
(later)
PC:I take out the map.
DM:You rummage through your pack, but you can't find it.
PC: WHAT?
DM: Yeah, the last time you remember having it was when you checked your pack to make sure you had enough gold for the Greatsword you bought this afternoon.
PC: *stunned silence* wait... that weird girl in the crowd! The spot checks! *facepalm*

These kinds of moments are priceless, and since the player can look back in retrospect and pinpoint when it happened, they don't feel cheated, so much as enraged at the NPC. :smallbiggrin:

Pshhh... that might happen in your group, but at least 1 of the people in my immediate group would go "NPC running off? She must be a thief! I waste her with my greatsword!" upon hearing that description. :smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2008-06-28, 08:35 AM
I favor full use of Sleight of Hand against the PCs, but only by a small number of NPCs with any real skill. Most of the attempts are going to be from street urchins with at most 2 ranks in SoH (cross-class maximum for a level 1 Commoner).

A few annoying losses of (usually) trivial possessions will make the PCs appreciate some of the values of containers, especially magical ones.

[Heward's] Handy Haversack

When the wearer reaches into it for a specific item, that item is always on top. Retrieving any specific item from a haversack is a move action, but it does not provoke the attacks of opportunity that retrieving a stored item usually does.
Action: Any Sleight of Hand check normally is a standard action. However, you may perform a Sleight of Hand check as a free action by taking a -20 penalty on the check. With a standard action to use the skill, plus a move action to retrieve something from a container, the common thief isn't going to get more than 5' away with the filched object in their hand. And they need to wait a round to use Sleight of Hand again to try to conceal the thing on their person -- giving a decent chance for the robbed PC to Spot the item.

Chronos
2008-06-28, 01:14 PM
I don't know what game you're playing, but when was the last time you saw a female thief not dressed in a provocative or distinct fashion?That's the whole point: You didn't see the accomplice who was dressed blandly.