PDA

View Full Version : Did Bandai rip off OOTS?

Kato
2008-06-28, 11:50 AM
Okay... this one's not really serious... I'm just trying how much response I get :P

I assume at least a couple of you watched the latest Gundam season 00. So... someone once pointed out, s/he was going to watch it, for seeing V piloting a Gundam....
And it made me think... (I know, I have no life...) There are at least character wise some similarities... Tieria and V are just the most significant. They're both of questionable sex... I won't even start with Tieria's Gundam... Tieria's gender is known, at least in the manga, as far as I know... s/he is an some kind of humanoid android which was created from the cell's of the daughter of Aoelia... Probably made him a man (somehow) cause he's supposed to fight... Has no genitals, though...
Then there is Ari and Xykon... both crazy freaks, with near insane abilities, killing of the main cast and living only for their pleasure... (I could throw in B as well, but... no.)
There's no split personality guy in the Order, but Lockon has at least some thing's in common with Roy... On the other hand he probably has Elan's looks and chances with the girls... (He even is considered 'Stupid sexy Lockon')
What else... Elan's stupidity and uselessness are reborn in Patrick... even kind of overused...
And then i got the thought of Graham and Miko... Both hate the main cast, for their actions, but both have to be considered with good intentions... And they are probably the best of their kind... (Though, I like Graham in opposite to Miko. Maybe because he didn't kill an old man, but that's not the topic.)

Yeah, I DO know these are probably just tropes incarnated in different characters ^^' But I had to get it out of my mind. Maybe someone has some similar ideas as well...

Freshmeat
2008-06-28, 01:54 PM
I haven't seen Bandai, but you can probably attribute it to certain tropes simply being very common. If you go and read through the archives, you'll find that a lot of the (older) comics share a lot of similarities with those of 8-bit theater as well.
At least, such is the impression this troper forumgoer gets.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-28, 02:00 PM
psychotic unfeeling villians and ambigious male/female gender roles are prevelant in manga, read any other shounen-ai or mecha manga and i bet you you'll find at least one

turkishproverb
2008-06-28, 02:40 PM
psychotic unfeeling villians and ambigious male/female gender roles are prevelant in manga, read any other shounen-ai or mecha manga and i bet you you'll find at least one

At least a dozen.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-28, 02:46 PM
At least a dozen.

i was trying to be kind, really. Gundam(Heck, most mecha after Eva) is rife with this concept. And as far as the main cast getting killed off, again one of Gundam's biggest claims to fame is the death toll of major cast characters, i beleive ZZ or Seed sits at the winner(Unless one of the new ones which i havent bothered to watch as Seed disgusted me) has replaced it.

Mr. Scaly
2008-06-28, 04:39 PM
i was trying to be kind, really. Gundam(Heck, most mecha after Eva) is rife with this concept. And as far as the main cast getting killed off, again one of Gundam's biggest claims to fame is the death toll of major cast characters, i beleive ZZ or Seed sits at the winner(Unless one of the new ones which i havent bothered to watch as Seed disgusted me) has replaced it.

Are you kidding? What major characters got killed off in Seed? Natarle? Patrick Zala? Flay? ...Okay, that last one was soul crushing, but Rau?! The first two were largely irrelevent for the first half of the series and the last one was the main villain. Of course he was going to die.

But other than that, yes main cast tend to die in mangas.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-28, 09:32 PM
It still has one of the highest death tolls, and outside of the UC i think it does in fact have the highest death toll of any series. UC is pretty...unrelenting when it just off's a character. Not that i didnt cheer when they got rid of Lala, but if i knew then how...utterly mindlessly drug her death around, well i would have prefered her to live and never be mentioned again

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-28, 11:26 PM
SEED kills characters, just not any important ones. Quantity over quality.

I think I made the V=Tieria comment that inspired this thread, but from what I know of 00, the similarities with OotS are pretty coincidental. And if Lockon is supposed to be Roy, then where's the annoying, chirpy little useless person to represent...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/kingaeonflux/Haro2.jpg

Oh. Right. Carry on.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-28, 11:29 PM
Its not Gundam unless Haru rears its nasty little round...body....head....Curse you Amuro...curse you

BizzaroStormy
2008-06-29, 12:00 AM
lol, it would be so awesome to have one of those just so I could yell at it.

turkishproverb
2008-06-29, 12:35 AM

Zeta's the big winner for Gundam. For all giant robot anime, either Eva or Space Runaway Ideon is the winner

Haru? First time I've seen it spelled that way.

"Fa is Angry! ANGRY!" *PUNT*

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-29, 02:31 AM
You know, I realized something the other day. In Neon Genesis Evangelion, one named non-Angel character dies during the whole series.

One.

Five others die, but four are in flashback, and all but one of the five (or all but two depending on your personal Eva 00 fan theory) fail to stay dead. (So, two-three non-resurrections and two present-tense deaths, but only one that satisfies both). And there's all the death and destruction off-camera in the backstory, but that's not what we're talking about.

Now the movie is a far different story, but Neon Genesis Evangelion the television series has one of the lowest body counts in mecha anime history, and even counting the movie, I think Ideon wins both in main character deaths and implied casualties.

Anno prefers toying with his victims and breaking them emotionally, after all.

Kato
2008-06-29, 03:40 AM
Woohoo, didn't think there was that much response... though, most is general Gundam discussion, but anyway... I still have too watch too many of the old series for real comments, but...

Nerd-o-rama you just gave me another idea :smalltongue: Yeah, didn't have a creepy floating ball annyoing the audience from the beginning (though I think it is cute at times) but... Roy's Archon is at least a talking, floating ball (of light). Even if he has way more personality than Haro...

edit: Why only one? It was quite a while back but I think the boy from Shinji's school who was a one-ep-pilot died and Misako's (and Asuka's) love interest was shot off-screen... Though... may be wrong there.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-29, 11:17 AM
Touji lived, although he doesn't in the manga. He was just maimed for life. Kaji (Mr. Love Interest) is the one I was counting. Rei also died but, as I mentioned, failed to stay dead for long.

And the annoying chirpy thing following Roy I was refering to was Elan, although the archon is probably closer in terms of (lack of) personality.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-29, 11:58 AM
all things considered, Eva is a poor mecha anime(and i would submit a poor anime all togather with or without mecha involved) in general. So it can be forgiven its low death toll

As for Haru, ive seen both in fan subs, Haro and Haru, Haru has been the most..used. I find it destetable none the less

Gavin Sage
2008-06-29, 05:09 PM
I would like to smack the OP for being dumb. Since in some Gundam series we see a soldier in a red unifomr CLEARLY they are referencing Star Trek because its red and sci-fi there its not a coincidence. Nevermind that there is only marginal broader similarities and that there really are a finite number of ideas out there so thing inevitably show up more then once.

all things considered, Eva is a poor mecha anime(and i would submit a poor anime all togather with or without mecha involved) in general. So it can be forgiven its low death toll

Well given that there's only one mecha in the series I can understand that. :smallwink:

Dave Rapp
2008-06-29, 05:17 PM
All things aside, it wouldn't be terribly surprising if they actually had. Big company stealing inspiration from something on the 'net... never happened before. Of course, I don't think they'd expect the guy they're stealing from to have a freaking trademark, so that'd be a giant lawsuit right there. Can someone say ownage?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-29, 09:11 PM
Yeah...no. I'm positive that the writers of the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise can't even read English, let alone appreciate an obscure American webcomic. Observe their command of the language:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/OptimalMegatron/GundamRockOn.jpg

This thread is a joke at best.

Rogue 7
2008-06-30, 12:41 PM
That image is hilarious. I can see that being deliberate, just because it sounds really cool.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-30, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I mostly used that image because it's made of freaking win. Otherwise I would have tracked down the "Lieutenant Quattro, he is A CHAR" letter.

Kato
2008-06-30, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I mostly used that image because it's made of freaking win. Otherwise I would have tracked down the "Lieutenant Quattro, he is A CHAR" letter.

Hehe...and thus a legend was born...
Anyway, when talking about English and Gundam you have to consider Char's great choice for his alias... Bajina/Bageena or in it's latest game for the PSP even Vagina...... Spoken much like the...you know. Among fan's that one of the biggest jokes about this ace pilot (the other being about his pedophilia and how much more successful his clones are at this)