PDA

View Full Version : Pre-published vs. Original Adventures (4e)

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-06-28, 02:59 PM
My brother and I are trying to set up a 4e campaign, but there is one issue that we are constantly arguing about. Whether or not to use pre-published adventures. I am the DM, and I would like to use some pre-published adventures so I get the practice of running an adventure and have an example to work from for future adventures. My brother adamantly refuses to play pre-published materials, saying that I'm just too lazy to come up with my own. We've been arguing about this for a while, and he's finally issued an ultimatum that we work with original material or he refuses to play and will tell his friends (who make up the rest of the group) not to play either. I don't want this group to fall apart before it even forms but he refuses to budge on this issue no matter what approach I try. Any suggestions?

Worira
2008-06-28, 03:01 PM
Tell your brother to DM.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-06-28, 03:02 PM
I forgot to mention that that's something else that he refuses to do. First off, he likes playing too much, and secondly he claims that despite how much I suck at DMing I'm better at it than he is.

Jerthanis
2008-06-28, 03:12 PM
Tell your brother to DM.

This can work.

Or. You can run "your own game" which is just a prepublished adventure with all the names changed. Just memorize the published adventure and put to paper what you can't memorize as "campaign notes" and see if they notice. If you're planning on taking the game in your own direction eventually, you can just use what's in a published adventure as a springboard and ignore it later. They never have to know.

SadisticFishing
2008-06-28, 03:24 PM
Tell him that you'd rather run a prepublished adventure, and that's final. They are actually very good, and interesting, and in depth. I mean, the writers are paid to do just that - write D&D adventures.

Why does he dislike the idea so much? It seems kind of ridiculous.

Glyphic
2008-06-28, 03:42 PM
...Play a prepublished game with his friends.

Daosus
2008-06-28, 03:47 PM
You are DM, you are putting in craploads of effort to run it. They do not get to make demands like where you get your adventures. I suggest one of two courses of action:

1. State you will run the published adventure. Ask him and the rest of the group to give it a try. Should they not like published adventures toward the end of the adventure, proceed to 2.

2. Don't DM. Ask your brother or ask one of the other people. I have found that groups where most of the people have DMed at least a couple of sessions tend to be much more forgiving of their DMs because they understand the time commitment involved.

I don't suggest you simply make these ultimatums. Instead point out how much time you are going to be spending making the game, and how his requiring you to use your own material is essentially requiring you to put more of your own time into the game. All he has to do is show up.

Also, you could try the route of mentioning that using pre-made modules can help with making the adventure more rich. If you're not spending time making stat blocks, you can spend that time working on the motivations and dialogue of the NPCs.

But really, you're DM, you CAN find a group. He's a player, all he has to do is show up. Him finding a group is much more difficult.

Antacid
2008-06-28, 04:16 PM
Yeah, you've got to put your foot down. I'd argue against running a module but changing the names of everything. That's just going to screw everything up if your brother gets suspicious. Everyone needs to know exactly what you're doing.

It's quite likely your brother is just attempting to impose his will on you because he can (perhaps you're the one who spent money on the books). If his friends are new to roleplaying, a relaxed first experience is what you're after, and that's definitely more likely if you didn't write the module yourself. You'll wind up DMing better with less pressure.

Artanis
2008-06-28, 04:30 PM
My brother and I are trying to set up a 4e campaign, but there is one issue that we are constantly arguing about. Whether or not to use pre-published adventures. I am the DM, and I would like to use some pre-published adventures so I get the practice of running an adventure and have an example to work from for future adventures. My brother adamantly refuses to play pre-published materials, saying that I'm just too lazy to come up with my own. We've been arguing about this for a while, and he's finally issued an ultimatum that we work with original material or he refuses to play and will tell his friends (who make up the rest of the group) not to play either. I don't want this group to fall apart before it even forms but he refuses to budge on this issue no matter what approach I try. Any suggestions?
Make an ultimatum of your own: "I'm going to GM the best campaign I can, and since I have no experience, that means a prepublished for now. If you're offended by me trying to make a campaign that's actually playable, you can go ahead and not play."

Fhaolan
2008-06-28, 05:06 PM
I forgot to mention that that's something else that he refuses to do. First off, he likes playing too much, and secondly he claims that despite how much I suck at DMing I'm better at it than he is.

Sorry about this, but it sounds like your brother needs a whack upside the head. Either that or just stop altogether. If you really want to play, go to a local game store and see if there's a bulletin board to post on to find another group It's really not worth you putting heart and soul into a campaign, when your brother is going to spend all his time sitting back and complaining about how much you suck.

Raum
2008-06-28, 05:16 PM
My brother and I are trying to set up a 4e campaign, but there is one issue that we are constantly arguing about. Whether or not to use pre-published adventures. I am the DM, and I would like to use some pre-published adventures so I get the practice of running an adventure and have an example to work from for future adventures. My brother adamantly refuses to play pre-published materials, saying that I'm just too lazy to come up with my own. We've been arguing about this for a while, and he's finally issued an ultimatum that we work with original material or he refuses to play and will tell his friends (who make up the rest of the group) not to play either. I don't want this group to fall apart before it even forms but he refuses to budge on this issue no matter what approach I try. Any suggestions?I agree with your brother...up to the point where he starts making ultimatums. While I generally dislike railroads, published or not, his ultimatum sounds more like juvenile jockeying for power within the group (or between siblings) than a reasoned request.

Tell him, and the group, what you'd like to run initially and why. Then sit back and listen while the group discusses it. Ask questions to find out what they want and why. Keep it reasonable, if it degenerates from a discussion to yelling simply say you'd like to play in one of their games for a change. Who knows, they might have enough reasons to convince you. Or you may convince them. Either way it's open and not 'telling someone not to play'.

erikun
2008-06-28, 05:32 PM
You can always chop up the prepublished adventures and just use parts in your original adventures... if you have time.

However, if you are pressed for time, don't be afraid to use a prepublished adventure. Make sure you make everyone aware of what you are running beforehand, though. As others have said, you're free to offer the DMing job to someone else, but by the sounds of things, this would mean you end up without any group.

Breltar
2008-06-28, 05:45 PM
Personally I wouldnt let him get away with it, because if he gets away with that, the next thing he will be doing is arguing over one of your judgments while playing.

Have him try it for one game. If the group as a whole doesnt like it then try an original.

shadow_archmagi
2008-06-28, 06:23 PM
If he won't play DM, and he won't play an adventure you didn't write, he's refusing to play altogether, now isn't he? So then, go on without him. My RL gaming group has never exceeded 3 (dm+2) and it isn't too bad.

tbarrie
2008-06-28, 07:01 PM
I'd recommend getting a new brother. How old are your parents?

brian c
2008-06-28, 07:42 PM

Alternatively, buy one at the orphanage. Or buy one from china, then he can farm gold for you in WoW

(obviously, I'm joking. Mostly)

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-06-28, 10:54 PM

Both turned 50 this year.

SCPRedMage
2008-06-29, 04:23 AM
Both turned 50 this year.
Hmm... sounds like the solution is still doable, but you'd need to do it soon... :smallamused: