PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ATLA Observation

Revlid
2008-06-29, 06:17 AM
I was browsing Tv Tropes recently, specifically this page. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WesternZodiac)

It seems to me that most of the main characters largely conform to one of these zodiac personalities. What interested me about this were the "Cardinal/Mutable/Fixed Air/Fire/Earth/Water" labels. Looking again, I realised that each of the zodiac personalities I placed the characters into were of the same element.

Aang: Aquarius, the Carrier – Fixed Air
Katara: Cancer, the Crab – Cardinal Water
Sokka: Scorpio, the Scorpion – Fixed Water
Toph: Taurus, the Bull – Fixed Earth
Zuko: Aries, the Ram – Cardinal Fire
Azula: Leo, the Lion – Fixed Fire
Iroh: Sagittarius, the Archer – Mutable Fire

Admittedly, each one has maybe one trait that doesn't fit (There's no zodiac for angsty, but if we ignore Playful, the rest of Cardinal Fire seems to fit Zuko. Same for Aang and Aloof), but it's still pretty cool, even if it was unintentional.

OR WAS IT? (dun dun dun!)

Terraoblivion
2008-06-29, 10:18 AM
Interesting that the classicaly heroic sign of Leo is villainous, while the classically villainous sign of Scorpio is heroic. Though i must admit i see nothing in the description of either sign to suggest why Leo is more heroic than other signs or Scorpio more villainous. Other than of course that lions are seen as rather cool, while scorpions are poisonous bugs of course.

Rogue 7
2008-06-29, 12:27 PM
Interesting, that. I've never heard of all this before in reference to Avatar, but it fits surprisingly well. I wonder if the creators had that in mind when they wrote up the character types.

Revlid
2008-06-30, 07:52 AM
Personally, I just find it weird that the Water-Carrier is an Air type - surely Water would be more appropriate.

Jet = Scorpio, the Scorpion - Fixed Water

The same as Sokka, but focusing more on the negative (grudge-bearing) than the positive (good detective skills).

Long Feng = Gemini, the Twins - Mutable Air

The element doesn't fit, but the description does.