PDA

View Full Version : Channeling touch attacks

Egill
2008-06-30, 10:01 AM
This is a multi-part question.

I am planning a battle sorc for an upcoming campaign, and I had a few questions about touch attacks.

1, This is more of a RAW question, can I use my weapon to deliver touch attacks.

2, If 1 is answered in the affirmative, do I have to spend one turn holding the charge in my weapon, then the second turn discharging it with a normal melee attack? I could accomplish this with a spell-storing weapon, but I am not sure if holding the charge for touch attacks works differently.

3, Are there any feats or one-level dips that allow for channeling touch attacks through my weapon (i.e. allow me to either accomplish what I stated above or cast a touch spell and deliver it with a melee blow in one round, I think the spellsword can accomplish this, but I am not sure what else).

If anyone has any input into this issue, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks.

Signmaker
2008-06-30, 10:12 AM
3 levels of Duskblade allows Arcane Channeling, which appears to be exactly what you're looking for. Depending how focused your Battle Sorcerer is on touch spells, it may actually be a better option. At 12th level, your touch spell can be used on multiple targets in a single round. See: Whippomancer.

Towards number 1, I don't believe so. Which is why Duskblades exist.

LatemYvaeh
2008-06-30, 10:18 AM
For touch spell attacks your touch is considered a weapon attack (IE does not provoke attacks just like a monks punch note the casting of the spell still may provoke)
Unless you have a feat, class feature or special weapon it is not channelled throught the weapon.
On the upside touch spell attacks remain active until you actually touch the target and you can crit with them on a natural 20

Person_Man
2008-06-30, 12:22 PM
You cannot do what you propose without a special class feature (Duskblade), feat (Smiting Spell, PHBII), or magic item (Spell Storing (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spell_Storing_(SRD_Weapon_Enhancement))).

If you take 3 levels of Duskblade, your touch attack becomes a melee attack (ie, harder then a touch attack). Doing so is a single standard action. It deals normal melee damage (including any modifiers, like Str or Power Attack) + spell. At 13 level, you can do this with a full attack (the exact mechanics of which are debated - some people say that the spell applies to everyone hit. Others say that it only applies to the first person hit).

If you take Smiting Spell, you cast a single spell into a weapon or piece of ammo. Then within one minute you make a normal melee or ranged attack with it. It deals normal damage (including mods) + the spell. If you fail to make an attack before that time, you lose the spell.

If you buy a weapon with the Spell Storing property, you cast a spell of 3rd level or less into a melee weapon. It stays there until you make a successful melee attack, dealing normal damage (including mods) + the spell.

In each case, you are making it much less likely that you will effect your enemy, but you gain whatever melee damage and mods it might have. It's generally a sub-optimal strategy (why hit stuff when you can Summon, Dominate, Solid Fog, etc?) But hey, hitting stuff is fun.

Burley
2008-06-30, 12:26 PM
What would be more expensive:
Enchanted Bracers of Spell Storing?
-or-
Enchanted Bracers of Spell Flower from Spell Compendium? (At least, I think that's what the spell is called...)

For a monk//sorc idea...