PDA

View Full Version : Only in Dubai

Charity
2008-06-30, 10:33 AM
The dynamic tower

http://www.dailytech.com/New+Dubai+Skyscraper+Will+Shift+Shape+Dynamically/article12217.htm

"The tower will be 420 m tall at its time of completion making it among the tallest projects in the world it will also be 80 stories tall.

While those stats are impressive but not unusual, the construction approach is where things start to get weird. First the building is composed of a series of prefabricated units. Between each floor are arrays of wind turbines. The energy from these turbines is used to allow each unit to rotate on whim, creating an organic design in motion."

I love this

http://www.transworldnews.com/GetImg.aspx?id=4921&h=0&w=0&app=5

Pushing the boundaries is what we should all be about.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-30, 10:37 AM
I do not trust that building. Buildings that sway in place are one thing, buildings where every goddamn floor rotates separately and unpredictably are a recipe for Lovecraftian entities swarming out the windows.

Solo
2008-06-30, 10:38 AM
Pansy. :smallamused: Comeon, a little SAN damage isn't so bad. Embrace the madness, you won't be sane enough to regret it!

randman22222
2008-06-30, 10:40 AM
First off, what is SAN?

Secondly, I live just a couple hours form Dubai. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, I won't be here when it's completed...

skywalker
2008-06-30, 10:42 AM
How would you keep from getting sick? I'm sure rotating completely around is a lot different from swaying a la other buildings.

Lots of motion sick office workers, I suspect :smallfrown:

EDIT: SAN is another stat used in Call of Cthulhu to measure how sane someone is. Every time you see something horrific, you make a sanity check. If you pass, you take a comparably small amount of damage to your SAN score. If you fail, you take lots more damage, and if you take too much damage, you go temporarily or permanently insane. They're kinda like mental HP.

I'm da Rogue!
2008-06-30, 10:57 AM
The last picture is A LIE!

I think only the top floors can control the movement, and the rest of the floors just follow.

Telonius
2008-06-30, 11:00 AM
On the plus side, we could start the world's most frightening game of Jenga! :smalleek:

Charity
2008-06-30, 11:01 AM
IDR - read the article, they will be independant, they will have to suspend each floor off the central pillar. It will be quite a feat of engineering.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-06-30, 11:33 AM
to be honest, I'm not really surprised that this at all. I mean we are talking about the place that has the world's only 7 star hotel, the largest indoor ski slope in the world, and are making the world into islands off the coast.

Jibar
2008-06-30, 11:44 AM
Woah, woah woah woah woah woah.
Woah woah woah.
Woah.

Woah.

You might bungee jump of the top of that, only to get smacked in the face by a rotating floor.

Sweet.

SilverSheriff
2008-06-30, 11:44 AM
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!

this can only end badly.

Jack Squat
2008-06-30, 11:47 AM
I'm curious as to how people will get from floor to floor. stairs and elevators wouldn't really be able to be mobile, at least not without making things very, very interesting.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-30, 11:50 AM
I'm curious as to how people will get from floor to floor. stairs and elevators wouldn't really be able to be mobile, at least not without making things very, very interesting.

That's exactly what I was wondering. Presumably you have to go all the way to the middle in order to change floors? That's gonna be a pain in the arse. Or mayhaps there are certain times of the day when the floors stop moving and everyone makes a mad dash for the stairs. ;) Sounds like a fire hazard to me!

I'm da Rogue!
2008-06-30, 12:09 PM
IDR - read the article, they will be independant, they will have to suspend each floor off the central pillar. It will be quite a feat of engineering.

But I heard that in the news a couple of days ago.

Can't they make up their minds?:smallannoyed:

Moff Chumley
2008-06-30, 12:20 PM
K, the title 'Only in Dubai' is way to broad. That could apply to almost anything. :smallannoyed:

FoE
2008-06-30, 12:25 PM
To think: from this building, the great Gozer shall be summoned. The Traveller shall come! :smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2008-06-30, 12:31 PM
That's exactly what I was wondering. Presumably you have to go all the way to the middle in order to change floors? That's gonna be a pain in the arse. Or mayhaps there are certain times of the day when the floors stop moving and everyone makes a mad dash for the stairs. ;) Sounds like a fire hazard to me!

yeah, I was thinking about them being placed in the center area, probably the best option, although all I can think of is someone trying to make it to the stairs during gale force winds.

Also, what about plumbing/sewage?

Dr. Bath
2008-06-30, 12:43 PM
You will have to go to the central stairwell/lift shaft, but that's how basically every tall building is designed. It'll be no more of a pain than any other skyscraper.

Still: Hella cool. Even if you end up with businessmen walking round in circles muttering to themselves on the higher floors.

averagejoe
2008-06-30, 01:34 PM
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!

this can only end badly.

Why is it that whenever I see an idea and think, "Hey cool," somebody says something like this? :smallamused:

That's exactly what I was wondering. Presumably you have to go all the way to the middle in order to change floors? That's gonna be a pain in the arse.

I know, having to walk, like, half a block extra.

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!

Hazkali
2008-06-30, 02:08 PM
I simultaneously love and loathe this idea. From an architectural standpoint, I really don't like it, but then my idea of perfect architecture is anything made out of ruddy great lumps of stone. From a science and engineering perspective however, I love it. This will really push the boundaries in all of the related fields of science and engineering that touch it, and that makes up for the fact that it's just another plateglass tower (albeit a cool one).

Headless_Ninja
2008-06-30, 02:25 PM
THIS IS INCREDIBLE

A friend of mine's father has gone to Dubai to supervise building of some university buildings. Doubt it's anything as awesome as this though.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-30, 04:11 PM
I know, having to walk, like, half a block extra.

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!

Damn straight! Where I work I have a magic chair that instantly takes me anywhere in the building. Bloody well wouldn't work in this place, I assure you! Besides, surely the distance depends on how wide the tower is, which is one stat that I can't find.

One thing that caught my eye about this building is that it'll be powered by turbines and solar panels, creating quite a massive surplus as well apparently. I think that's pretty neat.

Jade Falcon
2008-06-30, 04:14 PM
These guys have seriously too much money

Archonic Energy
2008-06-30, 04:23 PM
stuff

i'm loving this building, i'm wondering how cabling is going to work!

CurlyKitGirl
2008-06-30, 04:31 PM
Bwuh?
So much can go wrong here but that'd be so cool.

Jack Squat
2008-06-30, 04:33 PM
i'm loving this building, i'm wondering how cabling is going to work!

Wires could be run up the middle column and attatched to rings. the connections from each floor could meet at these rings. Kinda like how a model train works. This may not be what they do, but it's one way.

as I said earlier, I'm more interested in how plumbing could be worked.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-30, 05:13 PM
Wires could be run up the middle column and attatched to rings. the connections from each floor could meet at these rings. Kinda like how a model train works. This may not be what they do, but it's one way.

I'm fairly sure that the plumbing will involve rings at some stage too.

this joke may be too crude for some people to get it...

Mr. Moon
2008-06-30, 05:16 PM
On the plus side, we could start the world's most frightening game of Jenga! :smalleek:

I'm up for a game if you are. :smallamused:

Serriously, though. I wonder who would be able to spend any time on the top floor and actualy get any work done. They'd be spining around preeeety fast, unless they're using some sort of resistor to build it.

Thiel
2008-06-30, 05:19 PM

External droptanks perhaps?

Anyway, I love the idea behind this building. It has that "What would happen if...?" smell to it.

TigerHunter
2008-06-30, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure whether I want to live in that building or never get within a mile of it...

I read in an article a while back about a billionare businessman there who was willing to spend up to 60 (or maybe it was just 6? it was a while ago) million dollars for the vanity license plate '1'. And it might have been sold for much higher than that...

UserClone
2008-06-30, 05:29 PM
Don't worry, those feelings are not mutually exclusive.

CrazedGoblin
2008-06-30, 05:59 PM
Woah, woah woah woah woah woah.
Woah woah woah.
Woah.

Woah.

You might bungee jump of the top of that, only to get smacked in the face by a rotating floor.

Sweet.

Giant Blender anyone??

The_Librarian
2008-07-01, 02:06 AM
I love the look of it - there was a vid of it moving on BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7472722.stm) too.

I wouldn't want to live there. I'd want to live maybe half a mile away from it so I could watch it! It's like an architectural lava lamp.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 04:51 AM
Only in Dubai, you have indoor-surfing.

Now, that is awesome.

Maxymiuk
2008-07-01, 05:51 AM
I'm anticipating a massive broken escalator syndrome effect. People walking into normal rooms and suddenly veering off to the side.

I'll be the one responsible for the giant cactus standing right there.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-01, 05:55 AM

Serriously, though. I wonder who would be able to spend any time on the top floor and actualy get any work done. They'd be spining around preeeety fast, unless they're using some sort of resistor to build it.

According to the Wiki article, it will actually cost 23% less than a normal skyscraper of equivilant size, and each floor will only rotate a maximum of 20 feet per minute.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 06:06 AM
According to the Wiki article, it will actually cost 23% less than a normal skyscraper of equivilant size, and each floor will only rotate a maximum of 20 feet per minute.

And don't forget how low the power costs will be when its finished...

Sahune
2008-07-01, 12:25 PM
Ok, so it looks like they'll have a heck of a time lowering anyone over the side at the top with all the turning going on.

The windows are self-washing, right?

EvilElitest
2008-07-01, 03:11 PM
coolest building ever. ......ever
from
EE