PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Genius Loci Enslave DC

CelestialStick
2008-06-30, 12:46 PM
Page 190 of Epic Level Handbook gives the DC for the genius loci's enslave ability as 53. Does anyone know how the authors got a DC of 53? Page 73 says to treat an epic spell (like enslave) as a 10th-level spell where spell level matters. The genius loci has a Charisma score of 26, giving it a modifier of +8. So as I calculate the DC, it would be 10 + 10 + 8 = 28. Even if the DC ran off the genius loci's Constitution score (which doesn't makes sense to me for a mind-affecting ability) of 50, which gives a +20 modifier, I still calculate a DC of 10 + 10 + 20 = 40. Am I missing something? Thanks. :smallsmile:

CelestialStick
2008-06-30, 12:53 PM
Page 190 of Epic Level Handbook gives the DC for the genius loci's enslave ability as 53. Does anyone know how the authors got a DC of 53? Page 73 says to treat an epic spell (like enslave) as a 10th-level spell where spell level matters. The genius loci has a Charisma score of 26, giving it a modifier of +8. So as I calculate the DC, it would be 10 + 10 + 8 = 28. Even if the DC ran off the genius loci's Constitution score (which doesn't makes sense to me for a mind-affecting ability) of 50, which gives a +20 modifier, I still calculate a DC of 10 + 10 + 20 = 40. Am I missing something? Thanks. :smallsmile:

I'm having one of those "Wow! I coulda had a V8!" moments. Silly me. I was treating it as a a spell instead of a creature's special ability. Creatures get to add half their hit dice to the DC of their special abilities. :smallredface: