PDA

View Full Version : Chain Devils [3.5]

Enguhl
2008-06-30, 05:46 PM
In a campaign I have just started in this weekend (first time being a player in almost a year!) I decided to play a chain devil, since I have never played a race-class (the one in Planar Handbook). So I get this sweet ability Dancing Chains, awesome, I love it.
What can I do with it?
Obviously I can control (currently) two chains and attack with them, and turn them into spiked chains and extend their range 15 feet, cool. But what else can I do? I'm sure I get more control than just swinging them. Can I grapple? Do I get an equivalent of additional strength? Can I wrap things up? If the chain starts within 20 feet of me, but goes to 30, can I control the entire chain?
Any input is appreciated, thanks.

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-30, 06:50 PM
I don't have Planar Handbook in front of me, but...

Dancing Chains (Su)
A chain devil’s most awesome attack is its ability to control up to four chains within 20 feet as a standard action, making the chains dance or move as it wishes. In addition, a chain devil can increase these chains’ length by up to 15 feet and cause them to sprout razor-edged barbs. These chains attack as effectively as the devil itself. If a chain is in another creature’s possession, the creature can attempt a DC 15 Will save to break the chain devil’s power over that chain. If the save is successful, the kyton cannot attempt to control that particular chain again for 24 hours or until the chain leaves the creature’s possession. The save DC is Charisma-based.

A chain devil can climb chains it controls at its normal speed without making Climb checks. (emphasis added)

It doesn't say anything about gaining additional Strength (nor do I think there is a precedent for gaining effective Strength in the manner you suggest).

Take note of the bolded sentence, however. This basically means that whatever you can do with a spiked chain, you can do exactly the same with an animated chain. So certainly you can grapple, pin, and trip people with it.

And personally, I'd say you only control the portion of a chain that is within your ability's range, but check with your DM on this. Have fun!

Enguhl
2008-06-30, 09:09 PM
Awesome, I guess I overlooked that part. Thanks