PDA

View Full Version : The Dragon Queen of the West...

AceOfFools
2008-06-30, 06:39 PM
...Or where exactly is the Sunken Valley?

273 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html), establishes that Tiamat is one of the Western Gods.

Start of Darkness establishes that the gods can directly interfere in the life of mortals within their own sphere of influence, save by the action of their clerics and paladins

Or in other words, a Western Goddess cannot directly interfere in Northern or Southern Affairs

Those two things together would suggest that our favorite arrogant, orange bastard dwells in the Western Lands.

The other question, naturally, is is this even significant?

Grey Watcher
2008-06-30, 06:49 PM
Hmmm...

Maybe the Oracle has special dispensation within the agreement. That is, though he isn't actually a cleric, he IS a servant of Tiamat and, therefore, is regarded as a Cleric under the rules for Divine interference. I mean, people have to specifically come to him. Alternatively, his tower or even the whole Valley might be considered "Western Lands" despite not actually being connected geographically, economically, or politically to any of the Western Lands. Kind of like an Embassy, maybe?

David Argall
2008-07-01, 12:33 AM
Sunken Valley is in the Southern lands, within a week's walk of Azure City.

Since his latest prophecy didn't involve a picture of the godess, we should assume she is not involved enough to upset the Southern Gods.

factotum
2008-07-01, 02:02 AM
The Western Lands are across the ocean--no way the Oracle is within their boundaries. Besides, Tiamat is not directly interfering with lands outside her territory--she's doing it via a proxy in the form of the Oracle, which seems to be just fine under the rules.

AceOfFools
2008-07-02, 08:39 PM
Sunken Valley is in the Southern lands, within a week's walk of Azure City.

Since his latest prophecy didn't involve a picture of the godess, we should assume she is not involved enough to upset the Southern Gods.

Perhaps Tiamat isn't involved at all? His prayers and references and that are all just for show... that no one remembers?

But then what is the source of his kobold dust, and why the show?

I get the feeling that explanations will never be forthcoming. And Rich just needed there to be an oracle, so no real explanation is forthcoming?

The only other thing I can think of is special dispensation from the other gods, which comes with its own questions.

factotum
2008-07-03, 01:50 AM
Or, as I said, he counts as her proxy just as much as a cleric would. Clerics don't suddenly lose their powers as soon as they leave the territory controlled by their god, after all...

Ninja
2008-07-03, 08:31 AM

just because there was no picture doesn't mean he didn't go all "oh dragon queen" like last time.... last time her picture was only shown on the beggining and later when he answered their questions we didn't see her picture.... the fact that we don't see her now doesn't mean the picture isn't there....

AceOfFools
2008-07-05, 11:17 AM
Or, as I said, he counts as her proxy just as much as a cleric would. Clerics don't suddenly lose their powers as soon as they leave the territory controlled by their god, after all...

Well, yeah, but all the other deities' proxies have their powers rolled into their class abilities. Paladins, Clerics, Druids, etc.

It is a posibility.

hamishspence
2008-07-05, 11:20 AM
Proxy in Deities and Demigods has a very specific meaning: mortal granted a divine rank by the deity. Maybe T has Salient Divine Ability: See the Future, and has given it to the Oracle.

Or maybe not. Still, the term proxy does exist in D&D.