PDA

View Full Version : What Made You Choose Your Username?

Ethrael
2008-07-01, 01:03 AM
What made you chose your name? What inspired you? Who inspired you?

I don't know if this has been done already, but here you can state and discuss your reasons for choosing your username, so others could possibly delve into your personality from a different perspective.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-01, 01:10 AM
My username is pretty much a description of my personality. The "fennac" part refers to my usually polite friendly exterious appearance, while the "tempest" part refers to my usually chaotic thought processes. The whole name is also refering to my tendancy to try to do things as quickly as possible. I only spell "fennec" with an "ac" at the end in regards to my username because I prefer that spelling (my legal name can be spelt in a couple of different ways, so I can't see any reason why my username can't be spelt a different way as well).

RTGoodman
2008-07-01, 01:17 AM
Well, when I first registered I didn't figure I'd be around that much so I didn't put much thought into picking a username that people would remember. I tried a few that I've used elsewhere (and a couple of D&D characters' names) but they were all taken, so I just went with the login that I had to use for every single thing related to my university.

I feel kinda bad now that I don't have a cool username, but I don't really care to change it at this point.

Em Blackleaf
2008-07-01, 01:29 AM
Krimm Blackleaf made me choose my username. :smalltongue:
Really. He was like "Hey, join this forum."
So I said, "Okay. I need a username..."
He said, "Well, my username is Krimm Blackleaf, so put Blackleaf in it."
He wants people to know we're related, I guess. :smalltongue:
So I used Em, because Emily is my real first name and Em is the shortened version of it. Which proved to be a good idea, because I was already used to people calling me Em!

Now I use Em Blackleaf for everything. Except photobucket, because it was already taken (o.O), so I used EmilyBlackleaf instead.

Zakama
2008-07-01, 01:53 AM
I just made it up... Not to fond of it now. >_>

Haruki-kun
2008-07-01, 02:05 AM
babynames.com, after a friend of mine tried to give me a Japanese name because she was bored. I don't remember what it wa,s but I remember not liking it, so I went to babynames and got me a new one. I found Haruki, which supposedly means "Shining Brightly".

When I joined the forum, I had another name planned, but I ended up going with Haruki-kun, just because. I wasn't very fond of it at first, but I really love it now, I've been using it for everything since then. :smalltongue:

Paragon Badger
2008-07-01, 02:14 AM
There be Badgers.

Badgers?

We don't need no stinkin' Badgers!

Look at the bones!

Seriously. Badgers will eff you up. Especcially Paragon Badgers.

Solo
2008-07-01, 02:27 AM
I just made it up... Not to fond of it now. >_>

Take heed the moral of this tale
Be not a casual name chooser.
Or else your happiness will fail
And then you'll wish you weren't a loser.

Zakaaa-ma,
Zakaaa-ma,
He decided rather fast.
Zakaaa-ma,
Zakaaa-ma,
He regrets his unwise past.

:smallwink:

Many people have speculated aobut my user name, but the truth is GIANT FROG!

skywalker
2008-07-01, 02:39 AM
My real name is Luke.

I've been told many times that I look like the sky walker. In fact, I met someone but didn't tell him my name for a while. Upon finally telling him my name, he told me that he'd been thinking of me(and referring to me to others) as Luke, due to my jedi-like appearance.

I think it's just a cool name. Something about "skywalker," you know? I've always thought "Luke Skywalker" was one of the best hero names ever. It also, as a screenname, conveys a few things about me. One, I'm probably a Star Wars fan. Two, I probably find myself comparable to Luke Skywalker, and thus think highly of myself. Three, it might convey that my name is Luke(It did this more before the Star Wars prequels came out.)

The only thing I'm upset about is that I somehow forgot my shift key, which made it "skywalker," not "Skywalker." I'm not sure why that happened. It's a little bit annoying sometimes, but mostly I don't notice it.

Since I joined the forum, I've been using "skywalker" everywhere, to create a sort of cross-web identity for myself. Of course, most places already have a "skywalker" so I usually use "skywalkert65b." Which is, of course, skywalker, plus the model number of the X-Wing fighter.

Ganurath
2008-07-01, 02:56 AM
I first came up with the name... a LONG time ago, back during the first season of Justice League. I was trying to remember the name of the demon guy with yellow skin.

Zakama
2008-07-01, 04:03 AM
Take heed the moral of this tale
Be not a casual name chooser.
Or else your happiness will fail
And then you'll wish you weren't a loser.

Zakaaa-ma,
Zakaaa-ma,
He decided rather fast.
Zakaaa-ma,
Zakaaa-ma,

Many people have speculated aobut my user name, but the truth is GIANT FROG!

:smalleek:

I'm flattered. :smallbiggrin:

Hoplite
2008-07-01, 04:18 AM
One of mods had me choose a new one, when my old one was against the rules....

Although I am not to happy with this one, I am okey with it.

The Rose Dragon
2008-07-01, 04:23 AM
The Rose Dragon is the royal title of one of my characters. Rose because of his beauty, and Dragon because his given name is Lung and he can command dragons.

Jazzpirate
2008-07-01, 04:24 AM
I got the nick simultaniously from several people when I started wearing pirate-like bandanas as hair-tie subtitutes. Next logical thing was to buy the respective .com-domaine et voilà... :biggrin:

loopy
2008-07-01, 04:25 AM
'loopy' (small 'L') has been my moniker for the majority of my life. Most of my friends know me as loopy, some don't even know my real name. Thus, it was only natural to continue calling myself by that alias online.

Victor Thorian
2008-07-01, 04:25 AM
I've been Viktor Korpashev for over 5 years. But I'm also known as "fuluks" too.
There's no real backstory there, I wanted a name and I found one.

Victor Thorian is just the name I got when my friends wouldn't accept Korpashev as their family name at ultima online, about the same time I found Korpashev.

Agamid
2008-07-01, 04:33 AM
If you know anything about me then this wikipedia should answer everything --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agamidae :smallsmile:

I am an Agamid.

H. Zee
2008-07-01, 04:39 AM
My thought processes upon making up my username:

1) I want something memorable.
2) I like Bleach.
3) Zaraki Kenpachi is cool.
4) 'Hollow Zaraki' sounds cool.
5) I'm hungry.
6) I wonder what's for lunch?

So as you can see, I didn't put too much thought into it... But it's okay, I guess, though if I were able to change it I'd become plain old 'Zaraki.'

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 04:48 AM
Totallly randomnly chosen.

And apparently, its easy to remember as well.:smalltongue:

randman22222
2008-07-01, 04:50 AM
I got the nick simultaniously from several people when I started wearing pirate-like bandanas as hair-tie subtitutes. Next logical thing was to buy the respective .com-domaine et voilà... :biggrin:

You're from Garmisch! You must be full of awesome.

Anyway, when I was little, my first experience with online gaming was when a friend told me about Runescape. Back in those days, typing @ran@ would make the text flicker all sorts of colours. My name starts with D, so I made my name @ran@D. Man. Runescape backhanded me across the face, and took away the sparkly text, the first @, and made anything not a letter into a space. Thus I was ran d man. That was taken when I tried to make a Yahoo account, and so was randman, but it suggested I use randman22222. So I did. And now I keep using this name, along with randman, ran d man, Pulsar, Pu|5ar, Pu15ar, and other variants. Just because I think pulsars are cool.

Castaras
2008-07-01, 05:04 AM
Runescape name startup here also. :smallbiggrin:

I used Aslandle, but then forgot the password. Up came Castaras, a random combination of letters that sounded cool.

8 months of using it <everywhere>, and I google Castaras, to see where I've been.

...Castaras is also a spanish town. They stoled my name. :smallfrown: :smalltongue:

I will go there one day. Castaras in Castaras, that'll be cool. :smallbiggrin:

Emperor Ing
2008-07-01, 05:09 AM
I really have no idea. :smallsmile:

randman22222
2008-07-01, 05:11 AM
Runescape name startup here also. :smallbiggrin:

I used Aslandle, but then forgot the password. Up came Castaras, a random combination of letters that sounded cool.

8 months of using it <everywhere>, and I google Castaras, to see where I've been.

...Castaras is also a spanish town. They stoled my name. :smallfrown: :smalltongue:

I will go there one day. Castaras in Castaras, that'll be cool. :smallbiggrin:

Ooooh. I just looked at your name, and noticed for the first time that it's Castaras, and not Casataras.
Ya learn something new every day.

Castaras
2008-07-01, 05:18 AM
Ooooh. I just looked at your name, and noticed for the first time that it's Castaras, and not Casataras.
Ya learn something new every day.

Lol. Everyone seems to put in either too many "a"s, or too many "s"s. Hard to spell name FTW? Or FTL?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 05:22 AM
Nope, just simple Castaras. Blimey if I misspelled it.

Usernames in chronic order(by time, earliest first and last last)
Maxx
TC_maxx
Beriothien
Dwarfwarlord
TCBH-maxx
Khazad-Maxx
Dallas-Dakota.

Ones I still actively use(in order of activeness)
Dallas-Dakota
Beriothien
Dwarfwarlord
Maxx

And if I remember it right, I derived Maxx from a tv show when I was eight...

potatocubed
2008-07-01, 06:21 AM
Ages ago, I was choosing a new email address. I wanted 'potatopotatopotato' but it was taken.

Hence 'potatocubed', which is now my internet-wide name.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-01, 06:42 AM
Zakaaa-ma,
Zakaaa-ma,
He decided rather fast.
Zakaaa-ma,
Zakaaa-ma,

Blackaaaaaader
Blackaaaaaader
You horrid little maaaaaaaan

Me?
I'm female, so: Girl.
I have a cat (who is my kittencat even though she's prolly ten), Also, it's an ironic twist on how I hate my name to be said, so: Kit
And my hair is (despite what everyone says) is curly, also it suits me and sounded unique, so: Curly.

And now when I google CurlyKitGirl I get posts by me. Hurray for unique monikers!

randman22222
2008-07-01, 06:45 AM
<snip>
And now when I google CurlyKitGirl I get posts by me. Hurray for unique monikers!

Ooooh! Neat! I tried it with my name, and got posts by me.

EDIT: And a page that is tracking my name (randman22222) over the internet.

CREEPY.

DigoDragon
2008-07-01, 06:49 AM
Digo is my nickname as my real name seems complicated to pronounce by a lot of people not familiar with spanish vowels. Also, I like dragons.
1 + 2 + 2 + 1 is... :smallsmile:

Mustiado
2008-07-01, 06:54 AM
I think I stole it from FF Tactics back in the day when I needed a user name for Battle.Net, and couldn't come up with anything.

I've been using it (wrongly) ever since. ?:)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 06:56 AM
*googles names*
Dallas-Dakota : Stuff about me.
First results are about me, and then I get This? (http://annaleerosekeejick.myknet.org/) Weird...
Beriothien : First two not from me, third is. And most likely some other stuff on the first page.
Dwarfwarlord : Sixth is mine, can't see any else in direct screen.
Maxx : Nothing:smallfrown:
TC_maxx : one result, ME!
TCBH-Maxx : No results:smallfrown:

Charity
2008-07-01, 07:04 AM
Plz send checks payable to Cash to
[email protected]

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 07:05 AM
Plz send checks payable to Cash to
[email protected]

:smallconfused:

T'ze'hai
2008-07-01, 07:21 AM
T'ze'hai is Amharic (state-language of Ethiopia) for Sun. It's the name the people in Bahar Dar (city in Ethiopia) gave me when I lived there for my research. And for dark people with dark hair, a fair girl with ginger hair might actually look like a second sun :smallcool:

randman22222
2008-07-01, 07:39 AM
T'ze'hai is Amharic (state-language of Ethiopia) for Sun. It's the name the people in Bahar Dar (city in Ethiopia) gave me when I lived there for my research. And for dark people with dark hair, a fair girl with ginger hair might actually look like a second sun :smallcool:

Now there's an interesting name.

Sir_Norbert
2008-07-01, 07:40 AM
A convoluted and silly story.

Sir Norbert the Paladin was a character in one of the Sonic the Hedgehog novels. I shamelessly ripped off the name for my first D&D character, but since he wasn't a paladin, I just called him Norbert without the Sir. Then for my forum name I decided to use "Sir Norbert" as kind of a halfway house between the two versions.

Serpentine
2008-07-01, 07:59 AM
T'ze, I had something similar: A bunch of aboriginal guys I hung out with once called me "Kata", or Sun (or so they said).

Serpentine's just a word I love. I use it for everything - internet, fantasies, whatever.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 08:00 AM
Serp, because it stands for Serpents and is an actual shade of purple?

KoDT69
2008-07-01, 08:02 AM
Knights of the Dinner Table :smallsmile:
"Dude, we totally wasted that gazebo"
"Yah it reminds me of that time we lynched the davenport!"

and 69 always reminds me of that scene from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure:
"If you guys are really us, then what number are we thinking of?"
"69 dudes!"

Ceska
2008-07-01, 08:07 AM
I like the word Serpentine, reminds me of the Karawanken.

Mine's not completely random, but random enough for me to disassociate and see it more as a role I play.

Serpentine
2008-07-01, 08:09 AM
I like the word Serpentine, reminds me of the Karawanken.Hur hur, wanken.
Serpentine = Purple? :smallconfused:
Snakes, slitheryness, winding, a pretty stone...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 08:13 AM
Serpentine = Purple? :smallconfused:

While most people don't know it, it is an actual shade of purple.

Serpentine
2008-07-01, 08:16 AM
Awesome if true, but I can't find anything to support it.

Ceska
2008-07-01, 08:16 AM
Hur hur, wanken.
The Karawanken are a mountain range between Austria and Italy/Slovenia. Serpentine is the German word for a winding mountain path.

Jack Squat
2008-07-01, 08:18 AM
Mine's one of the nick names given to me that I actually liked. How I got it was I was in gym dealing out poker, and I was wearing a shirt with a nametag printed on that says "Hello: My name is Jack Squat don't expect too much." Some ditzy girl called me that because she thought it was my actual name, and it stuck for a month or two.

I'll actually answer to Jack in real life, which confuses some of my friends who don't know that nick name.

Thufir
2008-07-01, 08:24 AM
Well, I'd been lurking on the forum for a while before deciding to register, but I couldn't think of a username. A few weeks later I read Dune, and I thought 'Man, I could totally be a mentat with proper training!'. But 'Mentat' would be a boring username, so I went with Thufir.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 08:29 AM
I have a friend, whose dad is a professional freelance painter and he told me so when I asked him.

Shadowcaller
2008-07-01, 09:14 AM
Sadly my username is inspried (okay copied) from my character in Wow (World of Warcraft) can it be more cheesy?

randman22222
2008-07-01, 09:35 AM
Sadly my username is inspried (okay copied) from my character in Wow (World of Warcraft) can it be more cheesy?

Names do get cheesier.

My corporation's name in Eve is Eve's Brothers of Destiny.

1-up'd in the realm of cheesiness.

Player_Zero
2008-07-01, 09:38 AM
I am a player of games. A player less than player one and a nothing by definition.

It also links into my other pseudonym, Zero_Of_Hearts, referring to both my like of card games, in that the zero of hearts would be the card before the ace of hearts, and the fact I am a loser.

Here is diagram:
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/7379/106399404804fb9.jpg

randman22222
2008-07-01, 09:40 AM
I am a player of games. A player less than player one and a nothing by definition.

It also links into my other pseudonym, Zero_Of_Hearts, referring to both my like of card games, in that the zero of hearts would be the card before the ace of hearts, and the fact I am a loser.

Ace is 1. But the ace of spades is filler text.

Player_Zero
2008-07-01, 09:41 AM

...Yes. Zero comes before one. Your point?

TwoBitWriter
2008-07-01, 09:42 AM
My original Bnet and C&C Red Alert handle was Darkfox. That was when I was 13 and I thought it sounded cool.
Then I switched to Captain Fox for everything I did. I always liked foxes, they are my favorite animal.

Course, the furries had to come and ruin everything. I kept getting messages from people asking if I was a furry or not. And I got tired of it.

I am a writer, by trade, but I have only been published in very small-time publications which didn't pay much. I thought it would be clever to start going by TwoBitWriter. Two bits as in "Shave and a haircut..." which I believe to be equivalent to $0.25 in old-timey talk.

If I had used the nickname that my friends call me (My real name is Richard...) I would likely have been banned from the forums.

Otempora
2008-07-01, 09:45 AM
Otempora is Latin for "What times we live in!". Which is pretty much the world in general. Plus it sounds cool. :D

randman22222
2008-07-01, 09:49 AM

...Yes. Zero comes before one. Your point?

Ehh... Misread your post. Nevermind...

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-01, 09:54 AM
Name of a character in a story I wrote Freshman year of college. It kinda stuck as a nickname for a while and it's unique enough that I can use it pretty much everywhere I have to log in.

If you see a Cristo Meyers somewhere, it's most likely me. I like that.

(...and if anyone sees on that isn't me, let me know...I'll have to kill the imposter...) :smallwink:

Flickerdart
2008-07-01, 11:11 AM
Flickerdart the Sly, my first Guild Wars character. I think I have 500 deaths on him. Assassins are squishy.

Prophaniti
2008-07-01, 12:09 PM
I took my name from a Daemon in a WH40k novel by Dan Abnett, one of the few instances of using a deliberately misspelled word as your name that doesn't bug the crap out of me. It's blatant plagiarism, I know, but no one's sued me over it yet... Also, I'm surprised pretty often by the strange places that this username is or is not taken yet. This is one of the few sites I use it on, so if you run into a Prophaniti on another forum or site, odds are pretty good it's not me.

Mx.Silver
2008-07-01, 01:16 PM
Because I'm male and own nothing made of silver?

Because I wanted to try using an M to start a username for once?

Who can say. I just kind of liked it.

WalkingTarget
2008-07-01, 01:58 PM
Several years ago I started playing City of Heroes. In said game, my first character was a Tanker with a large bullseye on his chest known as The Walking Target (as his job was to be the one enemies were attacking instead of the squishy guys over there throwing fireballs and whatnot).

After a while, even after I stopped playing CoH, I decided that the name works well enough as a screen name that I just went with it on several different forums.

Headless_Ninja
2008-07-01, 02:36 PM
In a historical mashup game, I played an oriental assassin. He had his head torn off by a mutant bear. Hence username!

FireFox
2008-07-01, 02:37 PM
When I was a kid I always liked the Starfox games. Later on, when I needed a username, I thought back to that and decided to combine my two favorite things: Fire and Foxes. It was around two weeks after that when I learned about the browser Firefox. But I kept it...

EvilElitest
2008-07-01, 02:57 PM
I think my user name is generally easy to figure out, the misspelling is on purpose, a joke as Elitist should be able to spell. laugh now please
from
EE

Jazzpirate
2008-07-01, 03:44 PM
You're from Garmisch! You must be full of awesome.
I don't get it, can't think of anything less awesome than garmisch, I'm so happy to be out of there :biggrin:

randman22222
2008-07-01, 03:48 PM
I don't get it, can't think of anything less awesome than garmisch, I'm so happy to be out of there :biggrin:

...Verrückt... I love going to Garmisch. The mountains are beautiful, so is the Eibsee. I love it there.

Dr. Bath
2008-07-01, 03:52 PM
Welp. Basically, I was going for the incompetent supervillain look. Y'know, Dr. Octopus, Dr. Doom and so on. 'Cept this villain was too lazy to get out his bath. Hence Dr. Bath. I'd been doodling such a character for a good few weeks prior to joining the forums, so there you go.

When I asked for an avatar to fit my username I got the current one, which seems to have cemented an image of an educated medical practitioner. Who happens to be a bathtub. C'est la vie.

sktarq
2008-07-01, 03:57 PM
SK are my initials

Tarq is short for Tarquin which is what my Father wanted to name me. Some of my friend found out about this and started using it as my nickname (with about 300 others....literally I counted). My dad got it from Hamlet, He was the last King of Rome. Overthrown in the rebelion led by Brutus and all that (and THAT is why Brutus is so important in his killing Ceasar BTW).

So yeah my name would actually be said
Ess-Kay-Tark

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-07-01, 04:24 PM
Well, I'm a fan of horrible puns.

Need I say more? :smallbiggrin:

randman22222
2008-07-01, 04:31 PM
Well, I'm a fan of horrible puns.

Need I say more? :smallbiggrin:

...And Douglas Adams...

Beholder1995
2008-07-01, 04:36 PM
What can I say? I like Beholders. The number just came because I couldn't use TheBeholder, apparently.

Philistine
2008-07-01, 04:37 PM
A long time ago, on an internet forum far, far away, there was a long and energetic (not to say "heated") discussion of art and The Arts. At one point someone called me a philistine because they considered my views on the subject* to be borderline heretical. I decided I liked it. :smallsmile:

On that particular forum, changing your username was a quick and easy matter and people did so whenever the whim struck them (and username was maintained separately from user ID on the site, so that everyone could still keep track of who had posted what); so my very next post went in as being from "Philistine," and I've used the name ever since. I've also used "Phillip Stein" or other near approximations on occasion when "Philistine" wasn't available.

* My argument was, basically, "Art is a form of communication; expression without communication is meaningless wankery. So if your intended audience needs a guidebook to figure out what message you're trying to convey, then you're not much of an artist."

Jazzpirate
2008-07-01, 04:43 PM
...Verrückt... I love going to Garmisch. The mountains are beautiful, so is the Eibsee. I love it there.

Yeah, well, I think you'd see that very different if you grew up there, especially once you're a teenager and want to party and stuff (or if you're a musician with more aspiration than playing in one of the 5 local punk bands *g*)

But it's a nice place for holidays, I guess...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-07-01, 05:07 PM
...And Douglas Adams...

Well yes...but I honestly don't remember seeing that pun in any of his works. Maybe I just missed it.

randman22222
2008-07-01, 05:16 PM
Well yes...but I honestly don't remember seeing that pun in any of his works. Maybe I just missed it.

It is a curious fact, and one to which no one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85 percent of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonnyx, or gee-N-N-T'N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand or more variations on the same phonetic theme.

Okay, my memory failed me. I thought they had one about djinn in tonic.

Creeps
2008-07-01, 06:32 PM
Creeps has been my longstanding internet handle. I use either that or my e-mail for most forums I haunt.

As to why I chose it, I love creepy stuff. Ambulatory dead people make me happy. Creepy stuff in general makes me happy. I am a cheerful and morbid weirdo :D

Zarrexaij
2008-07-01, 06:40 PM
I took my moniker for roleplaying on the official Elder Scrolls forum around three or four years ago. It sounded Daedric, and I was roleplaying a Daedric character. I noticed subconsciously I took "zarre" from the word "bizarre," which is amusingly concidental in a variety of ways. :smallbiggrin:

The other part is just random crap tacked onto the end.

By the way, I pronounce it "Zarre-CAGE." Zarre is pronounced like the end of bizarre and xaij is, well, pronounced like the word cage.

I think it sounds exotic and very intimidating. Not evil, but it sounds like I could beat someone up through the internet.

Apparently it's masculine as well. :smallannoyed:

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-07-01, 06:44 PM
Well, mine's from the CCG, "Legend of the Five Rings". The first part, Yoritomo, is a reference to the Mantis Clan, my favourite faction. The second part, Himeko, means "little princess". I just picked that name because it fit with Yoritomo.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-01, 06:57 PM
Gwyn ap Nud. Google it.

He was a character in Welsh Mythology. Edit: Indeed, he was lord of the underworld. Not a meany lord of the underworld; Gwyn means light, blessed.
I stole it.

AceOfFools
2008-07-01, 07:11 PM
Ace is 1.

It also means "First" or "exemplary," (Ace pilot) which is why I use it.

"of Fools" because

0. Ace is always taken.
1. I like Jesters, and wish to be associated with them irregardless of any actual resemblance.
2. I am often foolish
3. If there is one thing I am an Ace at it is saying foolish things (stupid, silly, or both; I have this policy of not thinking before I speak because interesting things come out, although I don't follow this policy online).
4. I like card games.
5. I like the layers of meaning.
6. Most people don't like being called a fool, so AceofFools is usually free, not that I've registered that many places.

Fridesgerte
2008-07-01, 09:06 PM
Fridesgerte is the name of my first (and only) 3.5 character, so when I joined these forums it seemed reasonable. I mostly use it or my SCA name online.

Fridesgerte is made up, but I created it when I was looking for a 12th century Anglo-Norman woman's name to use in the SCA. Many of the names I found sounded like Gertesfrida or Fridigunda, and were not what I wanted for my persona.

But when I stated playing D&D, Fridesgerte sounded like a great name for my WIS 8 greatsword fighter (two years into the campaign and still going strong :smallbiggrin:).

EvilElitest
2008-07-01, 09:49 PM
Well, mine's from the CCG, "Legend of the Five Rings". The first part, Yoritomo, is a reference to the Mantis Clan, my favourite faction. The second part, Himeko, means "little princess". I just picked that name because it fit with Yoritomo.

oh nicely done
from
EE

Recaiden
2008-07-01, 10:04 PM
When i signed up for Gleemax, i used Reco, and then forgot my password. I signed up a new acount, combining 2 of my names: Reco and Aiden. I just chose those 2 because i liked the sound, before i ever heard of them being used as names. I would have used Xen Dorian, but i didn't want people to know who i was.

When i google it, i get half Turkish You-Tube videos, and half posts by me.

Zaragon
2008-07-01, 11:13 PM
Mine was a big bad in a D&D game I ran way back in college...only, he turned out not to be the big bad but just a crazy Chaotic Neutral time travelling drow wizard. With guns. And a motorcycle.

Good to have on your side when you're trying to stop a dead evil god from returning... or at least, not against you. Most of the time. When he feels like it.

I've used the name on and off ever since, which has been for... hmmm...14 years now.

Edit: I am, for some reason, vastly amused that Cristo and I are both using names from characters from our college years.

Ethrael
2008-07-02, 12:44 AM
Ok, well then I'll post mine too. :smallsmile:

I write a little every now and then, and one of the characters in one of my stories is actually called Ecthraelsa. Its shorter name is Ethrael. I like both, but obviously Ethrael is easier to use that Ecthraelsa. I'm the only one that I know who can spell it.:smalltongue:

Agamid
2008-07-02, 04:29 AM

this is the only colour called serpentine that i've ever come across:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/2630852302_01bd016b84_o.png

DigoDragon
2008-07-02, 07:00 AM

Wow... that's... that's pretty epic right there. :smallsmile:
My name background seems so boring now. :smallbiggrin:

B-Man
2008-07-02, 10:37 AM
I wasn't really made to choose this username, it was a natural selection. In Grade 7 when I returned to an old elementary school that I attended, people started calling me by my family name (which begins with a B). Eventually they started calling me B-Man (because I told them to, it sounded cool dammit :smallcool:). People in real life (that have known me for a while) still call me by my family name or B at least. There are a select few that call me B-Man.

Flash forward to May 2005, my biological father stopped contacting me. My alias took a new meaning. My surname begins with "Man", so the meaning of B-Man kind of became an emotional statement I made for myself. I was removing myself from my father's side of the family.

And that's the dark secret origin of the name B-Man.

thubby
2008-07-02, 02:32 PM
simple, it's the name of my, my group's, and anyone who has ever known about him's favorite character. the CG troll barb/fighter with a heart of gold :smallbiggrin:

Purple Cloak
2008-07-02, 07:10 PM
Well mine was kind of down to the fact I like purple, I think red cloaks an awesome charicter and I like cloaks.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, less so now though. :smalltongue:

Logalmier
2008-07-02, 09:53 PM
I was trying to think up of something cool, at first I had a couple of names that I could fall back on if the others didn't work. But as time went on I found that I was running out of names fast-so I resorted to a computer game called The Battle of Wesnoth, which has a bunch of cool names for all of your troops. If you look up my name on Google you'll find that it mainly turns up as posts by me and a history of an elvish lord called Logalmier on http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CharactersStorys.
So now you know, and knowing is half the battle!:smallcool:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2008-07-02, 11:44 PM
I wasn't going to post this, but now that I've thought about it, Doctor Gunsforhands actually has a pretty rich history that I hadn't completely considered until the sight of this thread spurred me on. Obviously, it's nothing near as cool T'Ze'Hai's story, but here it is anyway:

The name dates back at least 5 years ago, to a website that once linked off of NuklearPower, AKA "the site that hosts 8-bit Theater." Run by the same fellow who wrote the Red Mage column (and now, 5 years later, is apparently starting to write it again), this site in turn hosted a random group of semi-comics drawn in MSpaint using crude stick figures. This comic, entitled "The True-life Adventures of Brian and Sosa," had the title characters doing such things as absentmindedly handing knives to zombies and dealing with the infamous Giant Spider that was Also a Wealthy Industrialist.

In addition to these exceedingly random antics were occasionally added the even more random antics of one Doctor Gunsforhands, a simple cut-and-paste stick figure with a doctor's reflector strapped to his head and little handguns drawn on the ends of his little stick-arms instead of hands. His first, most memorable appearance went something like this:

Nurse: Doctor Gunsforhands, we have a cancer patient!

Dr. G: I'll fix 'im!

*BANG! BANG! BANG!*

Nurse: Doctor Gunsforhands, we have a gunshot victim!

Dr.G: I'll fix 'im!

Such is the origin of the name, and how it first entered my brain. That's not the entire story, however.

Fast-forward a year or two later. I was now getting into these goofy little games with the dice and the books and the funny forms meant for describing fictional characters with numbers, and as such was making a 3rd-edition Shadowrun character. Now, in these days, Shadowrun allowed Riggers like mine to have ginormous piles of money to spend, but not to hold on to much of it. (They can't exactly go and open a legit bank account, you see...) As such, even after buying a souped-up, cannon-covered bus and an army-surplus attack helicopter, there was quite a bit left over for Contacts, which were then bought with money. My favorite of these little creations was a man named Shoe, a fixer that typically fixed us up with missions. He dressed like inverted-color **** Tracy (meaning black hat with a yellow stripe), insisted on conducting business in a coffee shop and used an old-school laptop rather than the standard-issue commlink of the future. The newfangled devices didn't run Diablo 2.

This campaign soon died, as most do. More recently, however, following the release of 4th Ed. Shadowrun, I joined a few friends in a new one. I made a hilariously nerdy mage and brought Shoe back, again as a contact. This version takes place even further in the future, and so he now owns a commlink or nine and even has a few good computer skills, but he still uses his lame terminal (mainly for some open-source World of Warcraft variant) and conducts business from a coffee shop. The group later made another set of characters for the same campaign, with their own set of contacts, including a street doc that goes by the name of Doctor Gunsforhands, which fit nicely into the setting and amused me at the time.

Then, the person who played the party hacker created an interesting RP forum dedicated to a certain subplot within the setting. Said subplot involves a subject of interest mostly to the setting's hackers and computer geeks, but I still wanted in on it, so I quickly tried to think up a character concept that would fit in. Shoe was known by now to be a decent hopper of the nodeynets, but he was still fairly shallow at the time - not quite awesome enough to qualify as a Shadowrun PC. My other option was the Doctor, who was also clearly undeveloped. As I discussed this with my friends, one of them came up with the suggestion that I use both of them, combining their awesomeness to form a single, multi-talented character.

Dr. Shoe Gunsforhands was born. This become my username on that particular forum.

Previously, my alias on non-RP forums was typically Señor Random, but the ñ was looked down upon by some of their character sets, much to my disappointment. This new name seems like a nice, humorous substitute, so I'm going to gradually push towards that.

See how long that story was? So long that I'm going to guess that most of you are going to skip it, heh. Ah well.

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-03, 09:13 AM
pancakes are incredible... especially cinammon pancakes.

so why not

Don Julio Anejo
2008-07-03, 09:09 PM
What Made You Choose Your Username?
Tequila. Very good tequila to be precise and lengthen my post.

Gem Flower
2008-07-03, 09:12 PM
One of my favourite DnD characters ever!:smallbiggrin:

sometime
2008-07-03, 09:18 PM
because i can only post some of the time

(otherwise too busy)

Jade Falcon
2008-07-03, 09:28 PM
Clan Jade Falcon, Battletech :smallwink:

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-03, 09:33 PM
Back when I was in the SCA in college, I dearly wanted to attain knighthood. Unfortunately, doing so takes years, years I didn't have. I wanted to take the vows partly as a restraint on my temper; I thought that giving myself a set of vows I cared about would be an effective restraint on some of my wilder tendencies.

So before leaving, I took the oaths of knighthood, but without a lord to take the oaths to because none knighted me; I bound myself instead directly to the virtues of knighthood. Hence, a renegade paladin, so to speak. :smalltongue:

RobotPerfomance
2008-07-03, 10:09 PM
Well this maybe a bit lame, but I was at work at around 11pm on a Friday night trying to get the customers system ready for the big upgrade and we found a user in the background named RobotPerformance. The customer kept saying that I was RobotPerformance which wasn't true but it became an on going joke for me and some co-coworkers and that is the story behind that.

Mauve Shirt
2008-07-03, 10:18 PM
Tv tropes article of the same name.

Coplantor
2008-07-03, 10:25 PM
My latest DnD character. And the one with the best name. The campaign was actually going to be a short one but we loved the characters, I needed a quick name so I looked around me and combined words, coplantor is actually "Corridor + Plants = Coplantor", because all i could see at that moment was just a yellow lemon tree, no wait, it was not a lemon tree, it was a corridor full of plants, silly me...

*stabs myself for the stupid joke*

DoranLiadon
2008-07-04, 01:14 AM
Mine was my D&D character's name which i just pulled out of the blue. Nothing special...

Project_Mayhem
2008-07-04, 06:08 AM
the misspelling is on purpose, a joke as Elitist should be able to spell

You say that, but I'm not sure I believe you ...

If you don't get the film reference in my username then you shouldn't be allowed on the internet. Sooner or later I'm going to get round to requesting a Tyler Durden Avatar.

Eredo
2008-07-04, 06:40 AM
Mines nice and simple, it's my DnD character name.

Dunesen
2008-07-04, 07:07 AM
SK are my initials

Tarq is short for Tarquin which is what my Father wanted to name me. Some of my friend found out about this and started using it as my nickname (with about 300 others....literally I counted). My dad got it from Hamlet, He was the last King of Rome. Overthrown in the rebelion led by Brutus and all that (and THAT is why Brutus is so important in his killing Ceasar BTW).

So yeah my name would actually be said
Ess-Kay-Tark

Hamlet or Julius Caesar?

Dunesen
2008-07-04, 11:18 AM
Short answer: It's a D&D character I'm creating.

Longer answer with useless exposition:

Last year when I was in basic training I made friends with a guy that's really into fantasy books and games, and he taught me some very general basics of creating characters. Nothing specific, like what feats, stats and skills are, but just an idea of which classes are easier to use as a beginner (that's me!) and which are harder. I came up with little backstories for a couple characters I wanted to make, a human female rogue and a human male ranger. The rogue was going to be named Cyath Dunesen and she'd be from a desert port city (although now I've learned the 4e PHB doesn't mention any desert lands), and the ranger would be Richard Sealsbed, from the northern lands.

When I got out of basic I discovered my old email address had lapsed, and rather than pay Earthlink for services I wouldn't use myself for quite a while, I decided to get a free account from another provider. Dunesen just sounded cooler than Sealsbed or anything else I had used as names before (ethabhae, Phantom Cresta), so I used that as my new account (even though it was meant to be a female character).

Then when I first got my forum account here last year (that I used for all of two weeks before moving onto other stuff), it made sense b/c a) it was my email (and thus regular internet) handle, and b) the D&D aspect would actually be appropriate here.

It was well over a year (closer to 16 months) before I finally got the 4e core manuals a couple weeks ago and could start building my characters. Since I've been using Dunesen this whole time I decided I'd rather have them be male than female (so I have to come up with a new background story). I also changed them from human to tiefling, and Cyath has become Cyak. The desert port origin stays the same.

Then I also changed Sealsbed into a human female cleric named Frey-Niar Falx, still from the northern lands.

Arokh
2008-07-04, 04:27 PM
Well, a few year ago, a german game-magazine contained a user-made game, the name of which I do no longer remember. The default character name was
"Arokh von Silberstein", which I found pretty cool, except for the 'von'.
==> Cut the 'von', stole the name.

And since "Arokh Silberstein" is way to long for this forum, it had to be shorted.
And since "Aoh Slesen" or "Rk Ibrti" are a tiny bit to strange for my taste, the surname got cut. Tada.
(And, apparently, there is also a dragon of the same name in another, professionally made game I have never played.)

So long, Arokh.

Silence
2008-07-04, 04:48 PM
Ok, so my first username was eragon546. Extremely generic, dumb sounding, so I changed it to Silentsouless. Very cheesy, so I changed it to something recognizable that it's the same person, but much better sounding.

Lex-Kat
2008-07-10, 01:35 AM
About five years ago, I was trying to come up with a name for my female alter-ego. So I wrote down ten names that I really liked:

Alexia
Alyssa
Brandi
Christina
Erica
Jessica
Katarina
Melissa
Tatanya
Tiffany

I asked all my friends at work, which three names they liked the best. The vast majority liked Alexia and Katarina, almost equally. So I decided to use them together, Alexia Katarina Almy (my real last name :smalltongue:) or A.K.A.

Since then, I started using Lex-kat as a login name almost everywhere. It's unique.

Bronathair
2008-07-10, 01:57 AM
We were scaling everest, my comrades and I. We had trained vigorously for this day and we ne'er thought the time would finally come. But indeed it had. It was me in front of the line, Dr. Harold behind me, a woman after him, and Spricket in the back. Spricket was such a whimsical fellow! But I digress.

Suddenly we were jumped by yetis... hundreds of yetis. We all fought bravely, but only I survived. The yetis brought me to the Great Matriarch. She told me I would be spared if I told her she wasn't fat. I did so. She granted me the privilege of living... with the new yeti name of Bronathair.

... yes that was all total BS. My screen name is from my webcomic.

Dave Rapp
2008-07-10, 02:02 AM
We were scaling everest, my comrades and I. We had trained vigorously for this day and we ne'er thought the time would finally come. But indeed it had. It was me in front of the line, Dr. Harold behind me, a woman after him, and Spricket in the back. Spricket was such a whimsical fellow! But I digress.

Suddenly we were jumped by yetis... hundreds of yetis. We all fought bravely, but only I survived. The yetis brought me to the Great Matriarch. She told me I would be spared if I told her she wasn't fat. I did so. She granted me the privilege of living... with the new yeti name of Bronathair.

... yes that was all total BS. My screen name is from my webcomic.

EPIC.

My username is my real name/pen name/nickname. It fits, so meh.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-10, 02:11 AM
Me and one of my friends would commonly draw random stick figure comics in Algebra class during out freshman year of high school. At one point, he drew a pirate who looked suspiciously like Jesus. I put a halo on him and boom! PirateJesus was born.

Athaniar
2008-07-10, 02:45 PM
Well, for those who didn't know (read: those of you who aren't Warcraft lore nerds), Lord Xavius was a character in the Warcraft universe, a night elf who became the first satyr after he... Ah, read it for yourselves. (http://WWW.WoWWiki.com/Xavius)

The reason I came to take this username was that I wanted to make a point on the Xavius discussion page, and I decided to use that very name as my username (but now, after that strange thing they did, I am now apparently "WoWWiki-Xavius"). These two places (WoWWiki and GitP) are mostly where I am active and using that name. I'm "TheDalekEmperor" on YouTube ("Those words are blasphemy!"). Here is my WoWWiki profile, if anyone is interested. (http://WWW.WoWWiki.com/User:Xavius) Please do check out my work. I am currently writing a multi-part story called "Shadow Heritage".

Szilard
2008-07-10, 05:01 PM
It was just this cool name that popped out at me.
First name.
This is a cool thread by the way.

Griever
2008-07-10, 05:09 PM
Might as well throw my hat into the arena as well-

Was playing through the Final Fantasies (Started with VII, currently just finished X) and was working on VIII. Griever is the name of the pendant that the main character Squall wore. It also ties into a beast later on that I still don't understand, but I kinda liked the name Griever.

Also, in RL I tend to be extremely reserved with my emotions and thoughts, so one could almost mistake my apparent apathy for grieving, hence a suitable Username.

beeblebear
2008-07-10, 05:56 PM
It is the name of my two headed three armed teddy bear that goes everywhere with me including the internet.
It is also a name that is not usually taken in any given forum.

borninbones
2008-07-10, 06:37 PM
I am sure that someone is wondering where I got my character's name. A long time ago in a world long almost completely forgotten, I created my favorite character. Who pretty much remains my favorite to this day. Odd fact is though, despite all the campaigns.

Borninbones was my first Werewolf: The Apocolypse character. A Homid Uktena of the theurge persuation. Oh boy did I have fun playing him.

The campaign fizzled and died when the dm almost killed the entire party of 11 people. Too much interparty conflict, too many personal agendas.

I don't know why I switched from the handle I used for almost 20 years to Borninbones, but I have never regretted it.

Prior handle: Dire Hit

Groundhog
2008-07-10, 08:36 PM
My name come from my birthday, which is on Groundhog's Day. The 22 comes from the fact that plain "groundhog" is already taken on some sites. Of course "groundhog22" is already taken on some sites too, so then I have a few other random names.

Flying Elephant
2008-07-10, 09:10 PM
There was this one really, really weird little book, I think it was called The Elephant Book, and I have no idea where it came from and where it has gone since. In it were these dumb little jokes (I can't remember the Q's perfectly):

Q. What is big, gray, and flies?
A. A flying elephant.

Q. What is big, gray, flies, and is dangerous?
A. A flying elephant with a machine gun.

someonenonotyou
2008-07-10, 09:23 PM
my one i usally use was taken i cant remember what is was and i just thought it up but now i kinda use this one now i alwaly use this one

Arlynos
2008-07-10, 09:31 PM
Favorite Character name in D&D.

Ranna
2008-07-20, 05:22 PM
My name is from a childrens book called Sabriel by Garth Nix.

Ranna is the name of a bell that the main character uses and it puts people to sleep, its nickname is "The Sleeper" and sleeping is one thing that I am very proficient at, so I chose Ranna as my name.

Lupy
2008-07-20, 06:02 PM
When I was a kid we had this club at school called "The Lupy Brothers" that I was in, and since then it's been sort of like a connection to some friends I don't see anymore.

RS14
2008-07-20, 07:23 PM
I'm quite fond of the Fiat RS.14 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_RS.14)http://phlairline.com/ency_f/Fiat_RS14.jpg

I've also used variations on the name of the Piaggio P.108 on other sites, but lately, RS14 is my most common username.

Stormthorn
2008-07-21, 12:51 PM
My name goes back to creating a warlock on an RP server in WoW and trying to get inside the characters head for a name.

Warlocks are feared and disliked so i cant use my real name.
My name should be powerful and simple. People need to remember me and know who i am.
I am the man who stands on the mountain and tries to tame the storm that is the Legion. That storm is my weapon, the stormblade. But blades are the domain of warriors and are artificial things. I am a force of nature. I wield the stormthorn. I am my weapon. Thus, i will be known as Stormthorn.

And then for consistancy i continued to sue it elsewhere. I also go by Rosier and Typhoid tho.

Trog
2008-07-21, 07:54 PM
The gun pointed at my head.

SilentNight
2008-07-21, 08:02 PM
Well, earlier in the year, right when Halo 3 came out, a friend of mine was going to put together a team for tournaments and the like and wanted me to join. Why I can't imagine seeing as I had never played the game and was not a very big gamer. So I started thinking about what would sound cool, somehow I came up with "silent night" since it kind of suggests a stealthy ninja vibe, and is kind of off beat. The team never got off the ground but I liked the name so I used it when I joined the forums. I considered being "SilentKnight" for the pun but it sounded a little batmanny. Strangely, some people still quote me as SilentKnight.

UglyPanda
2008-07-21, 08:28 PM
I was rattling off a bunch of random oxymoron user names for various purposes. UglyPanda amused me because it is very difficult for a panda to be ugly. Out of the oxymoron names I used everywhere else, I decided to go with this one for these boards.

Siosilvar
2008-07-21, 08:29 PM
Just the first name of one of my most memorable D&D characters/concepts (even though he never saw any play time).

Hyozo
2008-07-21, 10:14 PM
Okay, let's see if I can remember...

I origionally created the name "Iceddragons" about four years ago as my Yahoo ID, specifically because I was thinking about white dragons from D&D. First I wanted Icedragon, taken, then I decided to pluarlize it as icedragons, taken, then i added the extra d, and it worked. Then, with the name fresh in my mind, I decided it would be fitting as a runescape character name, then I chose to use it on gameFAQs, then other sites, and now it's the name I impulsively type into any login screen.

I don't exactly like the name all that much any more, and I'm trying to use it less these days.

TigerHunter
2008-07-21, 10:19 PM
I wanted Tiger, but that was taken.

After some fiddling, I suffixed it with Hunter.

That's it.

SilverSheriff
2008-07-22, 01:19 AM
I only ever wear black pants and I am reasonably well-liked within my school, therefore "One of the Guys", I then started calling myself 'the Black Pants Guy' on Myspace and people started calling me that at school about a week after.

Black_Rat
2008-07-22, 01:24 AM
Well I was given Blackrat as a nickname by my old friends after some disastrous events some time ago. I've been using it on many forums since then and would have used here too but it was already taken. So that leaves to me this alternate form...

evisiron
2008-07-22, 01:43 AM
I liked Eviscerate as the word, but wanted to make more like a name. However, everyone pronounces it differently than I wanted them to (I know there should be a 'c' there to help, but too late now).

I keep getting called E-Viise-e-ron :smallfrown:

Ilena
2008-07-22, 08:16 AM
Well, my user name was created many years ago .. in a dark and stormy night ... well not really but one of my greatest wishes was to become a centaur, and i never really liked my real name if i were to be a centaur so i set about creating a name for my centaur body that hopefully someday ill have, and i looked at the centaur names in myth, and looked at chiron, and Crixon just came out of that ... when i say it it was like ... dam i like that name! (i am horrible at naming, i have a hard time coming up with normal names for anything!) and so i kept using it for everything online :P

d'Bwobsling
2008-07-22, 01:31 PM
I named one of my DnD characters Dbwobzling (this was after the DM made a rule that I had to be able to pronounce my name :smallannoyed:) and the name stuck. My original username was Willahad, but my account was accidentelly locked. I made a few tweeks to Dbwobsling, making it actually somewhat pronouncable before creating a new acount

Lance_Murdock
2008-07-22, 04:17 PM
I have no idea why I chose the. I think it go's back to my first month of college, I met this guy who played this game called 'Vampire the Masquerade' (VTM for short (Dose anyone else on this site play the game?)). I had finished making the character, but I needed to come up with a name. Then it just hit me, Lance Murdock. I've stuck with the name because I liked it & I haven't regretted it since.

Vespe Ratavo
2008-07-22, 05:13 PM
A couple of years back, I was thinking up random names for a Sonic the Hedgehog fan character (I'll wait for you to stop laughing), and out of the blue, I get the name "Vespe Ratavo." I liked it, I liked it a lot, but it didn't fit the genre. I later came up with "Shrapnelwolf," which despite evidently being hard to pronounce (according to Xbox Live gamers) is my name everywhere else on the internet. If you find Shrapnelwolf out there, it's most likely me. (the actual character was abandoned)

When I first discovered the OoTS forums, I knew I had to join. However, I decided I needed something more "fantasy-ish." This time, Vespe Ratavo fit like a glove. When I needed a custom avatar, the character of Vespe came into being. Interestingly, although I designed him to be a D&D-ish character, a year and a half later, I've still never managed to play a game with him as a character (although I shall soon).

Also, according to Wikipedia, I'm a Zoroastrian ceremony/collection of passages in a text.

The name Visperad is a contraction of Avestan vispe ratavo, with an ambiguous meaning. Subject to how ratu is translated, vispe ratavo may be translated as "(prayer to) all patrons" or "all masters" or the older and today less common "all chiefs." or "all lords."

Chunklets
2008-07-22, 05:38 PM
I got my name from the nickname we gave to the anonymous 2nd-century A.D. owner of a Roman villa I helped dig up. We noted that this fellow had removed, apparently deliberately, large chunks of some of the mosaics in the villa, and so he became, informally, Chunklets. I'd been working on some stuff for the site report when I first signed up to ENWorld, and decided on a whim to use "Chunklets." It's now pretty much my default internet identity, although anybody who was on the WotC boards years and years and years ago may remember Basaxerxes the First. That was also me.

The kobold thing actually came from these boards. I picked the kobold avatar when I first joined, and the whole thing has since taken on a life of its own!

Anyway, this is a very interesting thread - neat sources for a lot of the usernames itp!

Firestar27
2008-07-23, 09:46 PM

Ranna is the name of a bell that the main character uses and it puts people to sleep, its nickname is "The Sleeper" and sleeping is one thing that I am very proficient at, so I chose Ranna as my name.

It's a great book. That's two recommendations, so everyone must read it now. But I've always liked Astarael more. It's the bell that kills everyone who hears it, including the ringer. Its nickname is "The Sorrowful". (Oddly enough, in Aramaic, the root word of the verb that mean "to be sorrowful" sounds suspiciously like Astarael. Mosrael is based off the word that means to wake up. I think there was one other based on Aramaic or Hebrew. I would bet that the other bells are based off other languages).

My username came from the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. The character in question is Firestar. I've always liked that character, and I've always like fire, so it seemed to fit. Firestar is usually taken on most forums, so I always go with Firestar27. The "27" is Weird Al's number, so I use it. During the rare times that Firestar27 is taken, I might add an extra 27 to the name, or go with Fireheart27 (the name of Firestar before he became clan leader).

AWM
2008-07-24, 10:31 AM
Username = initials

I love the way my initials look spelled out, I’m deeply saddened that they don’t form a word that rolls well of the tongue (because I love to nickname my friends the words their initials form)

Oddly enough I’m constantly thinking about changing my last name because I don’t like it (but I would switch it to something that still starts with an “M”)
:smallbiggrin:

-awm

Kool-Aid
2008-07-24, 04:34 PM
Kool-aid is actually sort of a real-life nickname for me, my best friend started calling me it because 1. I like kool-aid and 2. I have a tendency to run screaming OH YEAH!!!!!!! seriously.....

Even when I try to be stealthy, such as playing hide and go seek with my little brother I run screaming OH YEAH, eventually it stuck.

arguskos
2008-07-24, 04:42 PM
Mine actually comes from a Magic: The Gathering card I misread when I still played. Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran, became Argus Kos in my eyes (must be my dad's dyslexia infecting me :smallwink:). I then shortened it to arguskos (one word, easier to type, etc...), then just argus, cause that's easier to say.

I also go by bloodydoves, from an inside joke with me and some friends, but that's pretty rare these days, though it never gets old to tell that name to folks, and see the blood drain from their face as they ask why they call me that. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: (I'm mean to my vegetarian friends)

-argus

Murska
2008-07-24, 10:24 PM
Well, I was like, iunno, very young. 8? I was choosing a playername for this one shooter, and couldn't for the life of me think of anything fitting. I kept thinking of corny and stupid-sounding things. Well, one of those was "Murskaaja", which was "Crusher" in english. Well, I thought of my actual skills at playing the game, and decided that it was more fitting to be "Murska" which is a word we have in finnish for stuff that's left after something has been crushed. Anyway, I chose Bestrafer_Fin that time(My big brother used that one in Delta Force(the original(yes I still have it(Oh, I added the _fin(Mostly since it was already in use))))), which is the name I'm still using in shooters BTW. Wanna play Soldat, anyone? :P

But later on, when I was registering to a forum, I thought of this one again and decided to take it. And kept it I have, since it's short, easy and most people don't get the reference, but it still usually allows finnish people to identify me.

Anyway, apart from some association to foodstuffs, it's been a fine name.

EDIT:
Username = initials

I love the way my initials look spelled out, I’m deeply saddened that they don’t form a word that rolls well of the tongue (because I love to nickname my friends the words their initials form)

Oddly enough I’m constantly thinking about changing my last name because I don’t like it (but I would switch it to something that still starts with an “M”)

-awm

Heh. My initials actually spell out SAS. That's awesome.

The series is awesome. :P

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-25, 10:44 AM
My initials spell out MTF.

No vowels :smallfrown:

dps
2008-07-25, 09:24 PM
Mine's just my initials. Not very creative, I know.

Shraik
2008-07-27, 11:52 AM
My name comes from my first D&D character, Shraik Al'Rai. He was a giant icy bug person! :smallbiggrin:
My other Forum names Include Jesus, to spite someone who paraded around as god.
The other one is TheCrazyDuro which is based off my favorite Star Wars character

Hannes
2008-07-27, 12:08 PM
I'm Hannes. I like my name. Hence, I am Hannes.

happyturtle
2008-07-27, 12:11 PM
I'm an introvert, and I retreat into my shell a lot. But I'm generally very happy, thanks to modern medicine. Whoever discovered SSRI's deserves a special place in heaven.

alchemyprime
2008-07-27, 01:06 PM
My first ever was RobDBlack. Because I am Robert D. Black.

Then I had SilverDigmon2000 because I always thought the digimon Digmon would look cooler silver. nd it was the year 2000.

Then there was Galvatron2.5, because Galvatron 2 sounded to normal.

Then we got Alchemyprime, because I liked FMA and Transformers.

Then BArdicAlchemist, because I lost my old password to alchemyprime for three months and pissed off a whole PbP rpg...

Then Galvatron42 when DeviantArt found I wasn't 18 yet.

And I've returned to Alchemyprime, because the first science was Alchemy and besides an Ultra, the highest Autobot rank is Prime.

So I use BardicAlchemist at myspace, Galvatron42 on DA and OkCupid (I useit for networking...), and Alchemyprime or Alchemyprime42 everywhere else (someone on gmail stole my name! Or maybe I made an account and forgot...)

AWM
2008-07-28, 04:03 PM
Heh. My initials actually spell out SAS. That's awesome.

That is awesome!

My initials spell out MTF.

No vowels

Vowels aren't everything:smallwink:

Mine's just my initials. Not very creative, I know.
It's clever enough, your name makes you a born gamer!Damage Per Second :smallcool:

-awm

Edge
2008-07-28, 04:27 PM
It's the name of my near-psychotic warforged barbarian with a sword. He used a sword (with an edge) and was on the edge mentally.

I thought it was a clever name. No else did. :smallfrown:

Gem Flower
2008-07-28, 04:30 PM
I quite probably have already posted this somewhere, but whatever. Gem Flower was the name of someone who was probably my all-time favourite D&D character. Fire-eating druid; fun times.:smallbiggrin:

randman22222
2008-07-28, 04:35 PM
Yup, mentioned that before. (My memory is whacked. It'll remember random things like that. :smalltongue:) I name my DnD people after composers.

I have a half orc named Dmitri Shostakovich. :smallbiggrin:

EndlessWrath
2008-07-28, 07:47 PM
Wrath is one of 7 Endlesses in the book i'm writing (and the campaign I just ended)... He's by far my favorite and closest resemblance of me in action (quiet until action is demanded), personality, and appearance (pony-tail, goatee, and almost 6ft tall =P)

Since I couldn't do something else for WC3 battlenet.. i chose EndlessWrath. The name has been my current username for most forums.

Piggyebil
2008-08-21, 07:07 PM
Well, if you ever beat the game Zelda: The Ocarina of Time...

The final boss is Ganon, who to me, looks like a pig.

ColonelFuster
2008-08-21, 07:31 PM
Hm, yes. True story.
I play rogues and bards quite often, and enjoy tumbling around to get into flanking positions. Therefore, I tend to get in the middle of combat where i am being attacked constantly. That's why I am "The Fuster Cluck," ...which went to just "Fuster" and the "Colonel" part was added in honor of my commanding High-charisma characters and a play on the word 'cluck,' which is the sound a chicken makes, and colonel sanders sells chicken.
Yep. Rather silly.
So now, when my characters jump into the middle of things and start dying, I say, "And that's why they call me Colonel Fuster."

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-21, 08:15 PM
What made me choose my name? The forums of course! I couldn't just be anon like on 4chan.

Uncle Festy
2008-08-21, 11:00 PM
Ok. Mine is sort of a complexicated story.
As some of you may know (and more of you might infer from the last line of my sig as well as my avatar), I'm a fan of Magic: The Gathering. There is a card called Festering Goblin, which I've taken a liking to and has become a lesser in-joke among those of my friends who play Magic. Anywho, I had the faint memory of an author on the official Magic site referring to Festering Goblin as Uncle Festy, which I thought sounded cool. (Since a search of the site using "uncle festy" brings up nothing, I'm forced to assume he actually wrote Uncle Fester.) Then, I was going to change it to Lord Festy so that it wouldn't be such a rip off, but… I forgotted.
And that's why Uncle Festy is a Goblin Zombie! :smallbiggrin:

Amazing book. But, Garth Nix is an amazing author. READ HIM.
Er, read his stuff, I mean.

mangosta71
2008-08-22, 01:14 AM
Mine dates back to the two years I spent in Santiago. As a gringo in South America, there were a lot of women chasing after me because everyone down there assumes that everyone up here is loaded. The guys I was with called these women snakes. As I was particularly adept at fending them off, I became "The Mongoose". Mangosta is Spanish for mongoose, and I tacked a 71 on there because I like prime numbers. I've been using mangosta71 since I came back to the States in '03.

fraud
2008-08-24, 12:23 AM
ha ha! This is a funny story:smallamused:
I was busy thinking up a username for this forum while two friends of mine were talking, I don't really know about what but one said to the other "actually according to Fraud, a man thinks about sleeping with his mom twice in one life." and when he said that I assumed it was someone on the forum, fraud because the name was kinda cool and unique. So when I asked him he told me that was a German professor, excited I could use it I quickly made my account and now here I am.:smallbiggrin:

Sneak
2008-08-24, 12:27 AM
My real name is Sneak.

True story.

black_Lizzard
2008-08-24, 10:13 AM
Don't quite remember exactly because i made it about 10 years ago, but i think it goes: I needed a username for Bnet (starcraft), in Heroes of might and magic 2 the black dragon is the ultimate creature, but that was my brother's username for UO, so i picked black_Lizzard. The underscore is because they didn't allow spaces in the name and the 2 "z"s is because i wasnt sure how to spell lizard, so i took "blizzard" and took off the "b." I keep it now, just because Lizzard looks better than lizard. (the "L" is capitalized just because it looks better that way)

burninnapalm
2008-08-24, 11:08 AM
funny story about my SN

i was playing an online tank game, and your SN is given to you when you get promoted to the rank of captain. because then you are of somebody of importance, and it gave you something to work for. well i would be notorious for firing my tank so that it would not hit the person i was aiming, but the surrounding players or barrels so they blew up spreading napalm onto the surrounding areas. and once i got started on a board, there was always at least some of it on fire. Hince the Burninnapalm.

it stuck because of every single message board and game that has required a SN for the part 7 years that i have been using it, It always clears on the first entry, so i dont have to worry about duplicate SNs to often.

Vaynor
2008-08-24, 02:57 PM
Name of my first D&D character, Vaynor - Gnome Druid!

Also, apparently, a town in Wales.