PDA

View Full Version : A Complete Noob's Little OSRIC Question

DoomCup
2008-07-01, 10:49 PM
I've looked all up and down, but I can't seem to find how many spells Magic Users, Clerics, and the like can cast per day. Or can they cast however many spells as long as they memorize them first? How many can they have memorized at a time? etc. etc.

Kizara
2008-07-02, 02:59 AM
Ok, let me try to explain this to you.

1) Look at the cleric table in its class section.

2) Look at the table on page 8, and find your attribute for your casting stat (Wisdom for clerics).

Let's use a level 5 cleric with an 18 WIS as an example:

According to the table, you have spells-per-day:

5 0-level
3(+1) 1st-level
2(+1) 2nd-level
1(+1) 3rd-level

Now, the (+1) represents your domain spell. This is explained in the cleric's magic section. You can prepare one (and only 1) domain spell per spell level.

Now we look at the chart on page 8, we see that with an 18 WIS you get 1 bonus spell on many levels, but it only applies right now to your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-level spells.

Thus, after you factor in your bonus from ability score, your spells per-day look like this:

5 0-level
4(+1) 1st-level
3(+1) 2nd-level
2(+1) 3rd-level

If you were to get an on-going boost to your Wisdom to raise it to 20, your spells-per-day would increase to:

5 0-level
5(+1) 1st-level
3(+1) 2nd-level
2(+1) 3rd-level

Any more questions?

Project_Mayhem
2008-07-02, 05:39 AM
Of course he's talking about OSRIC, not 3.5 - Cleric spells per day are on page 12 - remember to add the extra spells you get through high wisdom, table on same page.

So Level 5 with 18 wisdom gets 5/5/2 (as the bonus spells are only added when you could cast that level anyway)

For magic users, it's simply the table on page 18, with no modifiers

So level 5 gets 4/2/1

Matthew
2008-07-02, 05:39 AM
Judging from the title, I think this is an OSRIC question, Kizara, not a D20 question...

Welcome aboard DoomCup!

Assuming you are looking at OSRIC 1.0...

A Cleric can memorise the number of spells indicated in the table on page 12, in addition they gain a number of bonus spells indicated by their wisdom score.

A Druid can memorise the number of spells indicated in the table on page 13, in addition they gain a number of bonus spells indicated by their wisdom score.

An Illusionist can memorise the number of spells indicated in the table on page 16.

A Magic User can memorise the number of spells indicated in the table on page 18.

The tables are each a function of Spell Level and Character Level. I hope that helps.

[Edit]
Beaten to the punch!

DoomCup
2008-07-02, 05:43 AM
You must have a different edition than I do, because the tables on page 8 don't include spell per day numbers, and the bonus spells are on the cleric's part on page 16.

Also, does it work the same way for magic users? Thanks.

Project_Mayhem
2008-07-02, 05:47 AM
You must have a different edition than I do, because the tables on page 8 don't include spell per day numbers, and the bonus spells are on the cleric's part on page 16.

Nah, Kizara thought you were talking about 3.5. It's as me and Matthew said.

Wow, I ninja'd Matthew about OSRIC

Matthew
2008-07-02, 05:51 AM

Also, does it work the same way for magic users? Thanks.

Ah, you're looking at OSRIC 1.06. No, it doesn't work the same way for Magic Users, though that is a reasonably common house rule. All of the spell per level information is embedded in the experience tables on pages 16, 18, 21 and 24..

Nah, Kizara thought you were talking about 3.5. It's as me and Matthew said.

Wow, I ninja'd Matthew about OSRIC

A truly happy moment... sniff. :smallbiggrin:

DoomCup
2008-07-02, 06:02 AM
So the spells by level are how many you can know AND how many I can cast a day? Or am I reading this completely wrong?

Matthew
2008-07-02, 06:30 AM
So the spells by level are how many you can know AND how many I can cast a day? Or am I reading this completely wrong?

I think that you are reading it wrong. They are just how many a character can cast per day. The number of spells a Magic User can know (as opposed to memorise) is governed by the Magic User Spell Acquisition Table immediately above the Magic User Level Advancement Table. Clerics and Druids have access to all the spells on their spell lists, Illusionists should use the same table as Magic Users.

So, for example, a Level 5 Magic User with intelligence 16 has the following:

65% chance to learn a spell; may learn a maximum of 11 spells per spell level (and a minimum of 7, if after the spell list is exhausted a Magic user has less than 7 spells, he may again try to learn spells he previously failed to acquire until the minimum is met; he may only memorise the spells in his spell book, however).

May cast 4 first level spells, 2 second level spells and 1 third level spell.

Zeta Kai
2008-07-02, 06:48 AM
You know, it took me a Google search & a Wiki search to find out what OSRIC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSRIC)was; I couldn't figure it out from context in the posts above & it wasn't in the Abbreviations thread. Oh, well. I'm wiser now, & I got to use my Gather Information ranks for once.

Matthew
2008-07-02, 07:02 AM
You know, it took me a Google search & a Wiki search to find out what OSRIC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSRIC)was; I couldn't figure it out from context in the posts above & it wasn't in the Abbreviations thread. Oh, well. I'm wiser now, & I got to use my Gather Information ranks for once.

Heh, heh. You just don't hang out in this part of the forum often enough.

Check out this thread: [OSRIC] Orcs' Nest Fastplay Module (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4445994), or have a wander over to my super cool Silver Blade Adventures (http://silverbladeadventures.blogspot.com/) Blog.

Kizara
2008-07-02, 03:43 PM
My appologies, I assumed OSRIC was some kind of term of internet lingo I was unfamiliar with. It seems its an entirely different (although similar from the responses I've seen) RPG game system.

So yes, my advice is inaccurate and not applicable to you, sorry to cause confusion. :)

Jayabalard
2008-07-02, 03:50 PM
as I recall, OSRIC = Old School Reference & Index Compendium. OSRIC is to 1e AD&D as the SRD is to 3.5 D&D.

DoomCup
2008-07-02, 06:48 PM
Okay, I understand now. Thanks a lot for clearing that up.

Matthew
2008-07-03, 08:26 AM
My appologies, I assumed OSRIC was some kind of term of internet lingo I was unfamiliar with. It seems its an entirely different (although similar from the responses I've seen) RPG game system.

So yes, my advice is inaccurate and not applicable to you, sorry to cause confusion. :)

as I recall, OSRIC = Old School Reference & Index Compendium. OSRIC is to 1e AD&D as the SRD is to 3.5 D&D.

Close. OSRIC is a restatement of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1e within the confines of what is allowed by the Open Game License. The text of OSRIC is not currently Open Game Content, but it is free to download. The only purpose of the original document was to enable the legal publication of material compatable with AD&D, though now an expanded document that can be used independently and instead of the PHB, DMG and MM is almost complete (which will also be available for free download, as I understand it).

Okay, I understand now. Thanks a lot for clearing that up.

No problem. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them.

nagora
2008-07-03, 01:01 PM
Close. OSRIC is a restatement of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1e within the confines of what is allowed by the Open Game License. The text of OSRIC is not currently Open Game Content, but it is free to download. The only purpose of the original document was to enable the legal publication of material compatable with AD&D, though now an expanded document that can be used independently and instead of the PHB, DMG and MM is almost complete (which will also be available for free download, as I understand it).
I know we've touched on this before, but since 1e AD&D is still available in the form of PDFs and second-hand hardbacks, is there any legal need for this?

I can see the need for a restatement of 1e AD&D to clarify certain sections of the DMG which are, shall we say, strangely worded, but is there any legal need and if there is can this help, given that 1e is not under the OGL?

Or has WotC offered an OGL version of 1e? (not that I would touch such a thing with a barge-pole).

Matthew
2008-07-03, 06:02 PM
I know we've touched on this before, but since 1e AD&D is still available in the form of PDFs and second-hand hardbacks, is there any legal need for this?

I can see the need for a restatement of 1e AD&D to clarify certain sections of the DMG which are, shall we say, strangely worded, but is there any legal need and if there is can this help, given that 1e is not under the OGL?

Or has WotC offered an OGL version of 1e? (not that I would touch such a thing with a barge-pole).

From what I understand, one of the problems that OSRIC encountered is that it has no rulebook currently in print ; publishers apparently desire one to promote general sales.

As far as legality is concerned, the second OSRIC document restates the rules in the source books as far as is possible under the [I]Open Game License. Wizards of the Coast have not offered an OGL version of 1e, though if they were to make the original three books available in stores this effort would be null and void.

I am by no means versed in the legalities of publishing. My understanding is that you could publish modules in the same way that Kenzer & Company did prior to their license agreement with WotC, or as Goodman Games did with their 1e releases, or as Rob Kuntz is doing. The only advantage OSRIC provides is that, as long as you operate within its terms, you don't have to take your own legal risks.

However, this is not a subject I am learned enough in law to discuss in any greater detail.