PDA

View Full Version : What after Earth Dreamer?

Adumbration
2008-07-02, 10:10 AM
I'm planning a heavy-spellcasting druid character for a PbP, at level 19. So far I have Druid 7 / Earth Dreamer 5, but I'm completely stumped on what to use after that. Druidic prestige classes with full spellcasting and good fluff seem very scarce. Any suggestions?

Malfunctioned
2008-07-02, 10:54 AM
If you have access to Complete Champion then what about the Holt Warden?

Adumbration
2008-07-02, 01:56 PM
I'll look into it. I have practically all the books, so that won't be problem.

*goes to check it*

I don't think I like the fluff in this case - going more for the earthy, elementalish type of guy, who's expert in underground situations.

Hmm. There really doesn't seem to be that many druid prestige classes with full casting. Maybe I should go with just plain druid... Though, if someone has a good idea, I'll look into it.

Another_Poet
2008-07-02, 02:51 PM
I don't think I like the fluff in this case - going more for the earthy, elementalish type of guy, who's expert in underground situations.

There's always Dungeon Delver.

*turns red and explodes in laughter*

Sorry I just couldn't keep a straight face.

ap

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-07-02, 02:53 PM
Seeker of the Misty Isle would be a good choice for a 1-4 level dip. Ruathar (RotW) is a good PrC for any primary spellcaster.

Arcane Heirophant (RotW) is superb for a caster-heavy build, and it doesn't really hurt your Druid abilities in certain builds, like Druid 8/ Suel Arcanamach 2/ Arcane Heirophant 10, using Elf or Outsider racial weapon proficiencies to qualify for SA. Maybe replace one or two AH levels with some other divine caster PrC like Seeker of the Misty Isle, which grants weapon proficiencies that will qualify you for Abjurant Champion in the epic levels, which will affect all of your spells of the Abjuration school including Druid spells.

The Complete Mage has a Druid variant in chapter 2 that will allow you to get an (Earth) Elemental in place of your animal companion. However, that variant specifically says that you lose your Animal Companion class feature in order to gain an Elemental Companion class feature, so you'd have to talk to your DM about whether this would be compatible with the Companion Familiar ability granted by Arcane Heirophant, as well as feats and other abilities specific to animal companions. If all goes well, you should take Companion Spellbond (PH2), and Natural Bond (CV) if you plan on taking any PrCs. If this would not be compatible with Animal Companion specific abilities and feats, maybe just go single-classed Druid with an Elemental Companion.

Person_Man
2008-07-02, 04:10 PM
If you want a caster heavy Druid, you might want to consider Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine instead. It's a spontaneous caster that uses the Druid spell list. Instead of an animal companion and Wildshape, it gets a Spirit Companion and various interesting special abilities. It's 19th level ability is ridiculously useful. Perform a ritual and spend 1,000 xp. Then if you drop below -10 hit points you automatically benefit from a heal spell (remove all negative effects and gain heal 150 hit points hit points).

If you stick with Druid/Earth Dreamer/Whatever PrC, then I suggest Divine Oracle or Stormcaster.

Chronos
2008-07-02, 06:05 PM
Hmm. There really doesn't seem to be that many druid prestige classes with full casting. Maybe I should go with just plain druid... Though, if someone has a good idea, I'll look into it.Personally, I'm of the opinion that "more druid" is one of the best druid PrCs out there. There aren't many class features worth giving up wildshape for, and I don't know of any sane PrCs which advance both spells and wildshape.

Yes, I know about that one, but it's not sane.

Adumbration
2008-07-03, 02:36 AM
Actually, thanks for reminding me about the Spirit Shaman. I had all but forgotten about it. I think I'll go with it.

CthulhuM
2008-07-03, 02:46 AM
If you're up for playing a shifter druid (and shifters actually make pretty awesome druids if you take the dreamsight shifter trait), Moonspeaker from Races of Eberron is a pretty good PrC. The flavor is a little bit Eberron-specific, but probably not all that hard to adapt.

Te'Shen
2008-07-03, 02:35 PM
Despite the fact that it loses one level of casting at level one, I think sandshaper from Sandstorm meshes well with earth dreamer.

Also depending on what elements you want to play up with your character, say if for instance his spelunking ways make him adverse to aberrations, consider the gatekeeper mystagogue (Player's Guide to Eberron)... or if favorable toward aberrations, consider a few levels of the impure prince (Magic of Eberron).

If you're still considering druid, planar shepherd (Faiths of Eberron) would be fine if you picked the elemental plane of earth... But the options become just plain wrong with certain planes.