PDA

View Full Version : Game rules question

Ron Miel
2008-07-02, 02:42 PM
My RPG-ing was about 10 years ago, and anyway I mostly played other systems MERP, Rifts, Shadowrun, Traveller, and only a bit of D&D.

So, here's a question that has occurred to me recently: what happens if you cast a resurrection spell on a lich?

Does it come to life, so it can then be killed?

From reading OOTS, I see that the spell only works if the person wants to come back. But if he is already back, inhabiting his own dead body, can he refuse the spell?

Ninja
2008-07-02, 02:44 PM
But if he is already back, inhabiting his own dead body, can he refuse the spell?

corection.... undead body.... :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2008-07-02, 03:28 PM
The Raise Dead and Resurrection spells are specifically noted as not working if the person you're trying to raise has become any sort of undead, presumably in order to prevent somebody trying to rules-lawyer their way out of an encounter with a lich that way!

Fitzclowningham
2008-07-02, 06:08 PM
Even if it did work, I bet level-21+ Xykon would have a very easy save vs. Durkon.

FujinAkari
2008-07-02, 11:18 PM
Even if it did work, I bet level-21+ Xykon would have a very easy save vs. Durkon.

Plus Resurrection takes 60 rounds to cast, so you'd be MUCH better off just killing Xykon in the first place :P

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-03, 01:13 AM
I think someone told me a while back that he would be a Human while being the same age that he was when he was last a human if he was brought back to life (not that he'd let that happen).

King of Nowhere
2008-07-03, 07:22 AM
I think someone told me a while back that he would be a Human while being the same age that he was when he was last a human if he was brought back to life
I believe that a person who become a lich die in the process; therefore if the lich is destroied, and even the philactery is destroied, there are no impediments to resurrection, who works as if that person died in the moment he became a lich (which is exactly what happened).

hamishspence
2008-07-03, 07:40 AM
3.5 ed: Raise Dead and Reincarnate say: doesn't woork on someone who has turned into undead.
Ressurect and True ressurect say: does work on someone who has been turned into an undead and then destroyed. By implication, you need to destroy the undead before using the spell.

4th ed has its own answers: lich has soul stored in a box. There is nothing to reach with raise dead.

On the other hand, you can certainly raise someone who has become many other forms of undead, because the soul is still out there. And it doesn't affect the victim.

Might run like this: Person is killed by wraith, his spirit ("animus") (not soul) comes back as wraith. You cast raise dead on body, a a bit of body. Up he gets. Now, he has to face his own undead spirit.

Ron Miel
2008-07-03, 10:07 AM
Thanks, all. Guess this wouldn't work, then.

Siosilvar
2008-07-03, 11:13 AM
60 rounds? I think you're off by about 40 rounds.

Remember, it's 10 rounds to a minute, not 10 seconds to a round.

chibibar
2008-07-03, 12:44 PM
As someone else has stated before, you can't cast on undead until it is destroyed.

But as a personal rule (house rule) You have a choice to take a resurrection or not. I'm sure if Xykon were to be resurrected (somehow manage to cast the spell in 10 round without interruption). assuming the spell does not have the undead clause. The following might happen

1. Xykon can refuse and waste of a spell.
2. The soul is hidden away so the Lich is not endangered. This mean the spell can retrieve the soul and create a new body. The spell fails (against a Lich)

But since the comic is in v3.5, Xykon is safe from resurrection spell.