PDA

View Full Version : Yet another take on Epic Vow of Povery. Help a poor brother out...

Philetus
2008-07-02, 03:37 PM
I am currently playing a Vow of Poverty druid in a campaign that is barreling toward level 20, so I starting looking around for epic level progressions of the feat. I found several, but didn’t really fall in love with any of them, so I decided to take a crack at reworking and combining a few of them (with a few of my own touches).

If you’re read threads on this before, you’re probably recognize large chunks of this -- and I wish I could remember everybody to credit, but it's bits and pieces from everywhere -- but any feedback would be helpful.

Epic Vow of Poverty (Epic, Exalted)
You have renewed your vow to forswear material possessions.

Prerequisites: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, character level 21+.

Benefit: You continue to gain bonuses to your armor class, attacks, ability scores and saving throws, as well as bonus feats, all depending on your character level. If you break your vow, you immediately and irrevocably lose the benefit of this feat. You may not take another feat to replace it.

Epic Vow of Poverty Benefits

AC Bonus (Su): An epic ascetic’s exalted bonus to AC continues to increase by +1 for every 4 character levels beyond 18th (+11 at 22nd level, +12 at 26th level, etc). This caps at +15 at 38.

Deflection (Su): An epic ascetic’s deflection bonus to AC increases by +1 at 24th level, and every 6 levels thereafter (+4 at level 24, +5 at level 30, etc). This caps at +10 at level 60.

Natural Armor (Ex): An epic ascetic’s natural armor bonus to AC increases by +1 for every 8 character levels beyond 16th (+3 at 24th, +4 at 32nd, etc). This caps at +10 at level 80.

Resistance (Ex): An epic ascetic’s resistance bonus to saving throws increases by +1 for every 4 character levels beyond 17th (+4 at 21st, +5 at 25th, etc). This caps at +10 at level 45.

Fortification (Ex): At 21th level, the ascetic gains light fortification. At 26th level, this becomes moderate fortification, and at 31th level, this becomes heavy fortification.

Spell Resistance (Su): At 21th level, the ascetic gains spell resistance equal to his level. If he has spell resistance from another class or feat, use the higher value. This caps at SR 35 at level 35.

Exalted Skill Bonus (Ex): At level 21 and every five levels thereafter, the ascetic may add a +10 bonus at any two skills, not to exceed a +30 bonus to any one skill.

Epic Sustenance (Ex): At level 22, an epic ascetic does not need to sleep and is immune to all natural and magical sleep effects, as long as he spends one hour a day in prayer or meditation. This time is also sufficient to allow a caster to replenish his spells.

Bonus Exalted Feats: An epic ascetic gains a bonus exalted feat every three levels over 20th (level 23, level 26, level 29, etc.).

Exalted Strike (Su): An epic ascetic’s exalted strike ability continues to increase as he gains levels. At 23rd level, any weapon the character wields effectively becomes a +6 weapon, and can overcome the damage reduction of a creature as though it were an epic weapon. For every three levels beyond 23, the ascetic may choose to add a material designator (silver, cold iron or adamantine), an additional +1 to attack and damage (not to exceed a total of +10) or additional properties (not at exceed the ascetic’s CHA modifier) to his weapon. Exalted Strike increases may be “stockpiled” for the purpose of adding +2 or +3 weapon properties. (A +10 weapon, with all three material designators and five additional plusses of properties, could be achieved at level 56). Also see Augmented Exalted Strike.

Ability Score Enhancement (Ex): An epic ascetic’s ability score enhancements continue to increase as per the non-epic progression through level 27. At 23rd level, his existing bonuses increase by +2 and he gains a +2 bonus to a fifth ability score (10/8/6/4/2). At 27th level, he gains a +2 bonus to those five scores and a +2 bonus to a sixth ability score (12/10/8/6/4/2). For every four levels after 27, the ascetic chooses two abilities to increase by +2, with no single score advancing past +12.

Damage Reduction (Su): At 24th level, the epic ascetic’s damage reduction improves to 10/epic and evil. At level 34, it increases to 15/epic and evil.

Energy Resistance (Ex): At 28th level, an epic ascetic’s energy resistance increases to 30. Beginning at 35th level, an epic ascetic chooses one energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire or sonic). The epic ascetic is now immune to that energy type. An epic ascetic chooses another energy immunity for every five levels beyond 35th (40th, 45th, 50th and 55th).

Path to Sainthood (Su): At level 30, the ascetic is considered for sainthood (as defined on page 29 of the Book of Exalted Deeds), if he has not previously been canonized. If he is found to have provided true and faithful service to his god, including but not limited to behaving at all times as an exemplary model of the exalted path, he is allowed to take on the saint template (BoED, pg 184). If he is found wanting, he will be considered for canonization every 10 levels until he is accepted, and is judged solely on his actions over the past 10 levels. The ascetic does not take the normal level adjustment for a saint if he is canonized through Path to Sainthood.

Special Exalted Abilities (Su): Upon reaching 35th level and every five levels thereafter, the epic ascetic chooses one ability from the following list: Exalted Attack; Exalted Banestrike; Exalted Dodge; Exalted Druid; Exalted Evasion; Exalted Monk; Exalted Paladin; Exalted Radiance; Exalted Sight; and Exalted Weapon Mastery.

Path to Godhood (Su): At level 45, or 15 levels after he receives canonization if this does not occur at level 30, the ascetic is judged by his god. If he is judged favorably, he is granted the slimmest spark of divinity, becoming a quasi-deity or hero and earning a divine rank of 0. This judgment falls solely on the DM, and should be judged in a very demanding light. If the ascetic’s god does not find him deserving of divinity at this time, he will reconsider in another 15 levels, but unlike the judgment for canonization, the second and final judgment of divinity will again be of the ascetic’s entire life.

Additional Exalted Feats

Exalted Grace (Exalted): The ascetic’s pre-epic base save bonuses increase to Fort +12, Ref +12, Will +12. Minimum level: 23.

Exalted Resurrection (Exalted): All raise dead and resurrection spells function as a true resurrection on the ascetic, and may be cast without material components. Also, once per month, if the deceased ascetic is placed in a shrine or temple to his god and prayed over by a PC or NPC priest of his alignment, he receives the benefit of a true resurrection spell. Minimum level: 23.

Holy Aura (Exalted): The ascetic is surrounded at all times by the effects of the holy aura spell. This aura provides all of the usual benefits of the spell to any good creature within 20 feet of the ascetic. Minimum level: 26

Augmented Exalted Strike (Exalted): This feat allows the ascetic’s Exalted Strike to operate at three levels higher, essentially adding one “plus” or material modifier to his weapon. This feat may be taken multiple times, but the bonuses may not increase past those stated in the Exalted Strike description. Minimum level: 26.

Exalted Lifespark (Exalted): You are constantly under the effects of death ward. Additionally, you may turn undead, as a cleric of half your level, a number of times each day equal to your charisma modifier. If you can already turn undead, you turn as if you were five levels higher in the class that granted the ability, and you receive extra turning as a bonus feat. Minimum level: 29.

Exalted Fast Healing (Exalted): The ascetic gains the fast healing ability, healing an amount of damage per round equal to (ascetic’s level -5)/5, rounded down, to a maximum of 10. This would be redundant if the ascetic achieved canonization at level 30. Minimum level: 32.

Exalted Swiftness (Exalted): The ascetic’s speed doubles (this does not stack with any magical or supernatural enhancements to speed) and he gains the evasion ability (as the monk class feature). Minimum level: 35.

Gift of Tongues (Exalted): An epic ascetic can communicate with any creature, as though under the effects of a tongues spell. This would be redundant if the ascetic achieved canonization at level 30. Minimum level: 38.

Aura of Menace (Exalted): A righteous aura surrounds the epic ascetic when he is in combat or angry. Any hostile creatures within a 20-foot radius of the ascetic must succeed on a Will save to resist its effects. The save DC is equal to 12 + half the ascetic’s character level + the ascetic’s Charisma modifier. Those who fail take a penalty on attacks, AC and saves equal to (ascetic’s level)/10, rounded down. This penalty lasts for 24 hours or until they successfully hit the ascetic. A creature that has successfully resisted or broken the effect cannot be affected again by the ascetic’s aura for 24 hours. Minimum level: 41. Prerequisite: Holy Aura.

Exalted Magic (Exalted): Any damaging spell the ascetic casts is treated as purified and consecrated, without increasing the casting time or using a higher-level spell slot. In addition, he receives a +2 bonus to overcome the spell resistance of evil creatures; this stacks with spell penetration and similar effects. The benefits of this power do not apply to any spell-like or supernatural abilities the Ascetic may possess. Minimum level: 41.

Special Abilities

Exalted Attack (Ex) – The ascetic’s base attack bonus increases to +20/+15/+10/+5. This increase is applied before Epic modifiers.

Exalted Banestrike (Su) – Any weapon the ascetic wields (including natural weapons or unarmed strikes) deals grievous damage to undead and evil outsiders. Against such foes, the ascetic’s attacks deal an extra 4d6 points of damage.

Exalted Dodge (Ex) – When struck by an opponent the ascetic has designated as the target of his Dodge feat, he may make a Reflex save (DC 10 + damage dealt) to negate all damage from the attack.

Exalted Druid (Su) – While in wild shape, the ascetic gains all the extraordinary and supernatural abilities of the creature whose form he adopts. In addition, the ascetic can assume the form of magical beasts.

Exalted Evasion (Su) – Any physical attack or individually targeted spell directed at the ascetic has a 20% miss chance. Area effects that include the ascetic have a similar chance to be ineffective. If an attack overcomes the miss chance, the ascetic still gets the benefit of a saving throw (if applicable).

Exalted Monk (Su) – The ascetic’s unarmed strikes are treated as slashing weapons with the keen, lawful and vorpal qualities. The ascetic can choose to deal bludgeoning damage instead of slashing damage, but the vorpal quality does not apply to the attack. In addition, the ascetic’s unarmed damage increases by one die step.

Exalted Paladin (Su) – The ascetic’s aura of courage grants a +8 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects and extends to all allies within 100 feet. In addition, the ascetic can smite evil an additional three times per day, and gets an extra three points of damage per class level on a successful smite.

Exalted Radiance (Su) – The ascetic automatically dispels any darkness effect that comes into contact with his nimbus of light. In addition, undead within the brightly lit area of the nimbus take an additional 2d8 points of holy damage each round with no save. Prerequisite: Nimbus of Light.

Exalted Sight (Su) – The ascetic is under the constant effects of a greater arcane sight spell.

Exalted Weapon Mastery (Ex) – When striking with a simple or natural weapon, the ascetic gains the benefits of the Epic Weapon Focus, Epic Weapon Specialization and Improved Critical feats.

Philetus
2008-08-28, 11:10 PM
Hate to bump my own stuff, but six weeks later, level 20 is creeping up on me and I'd like some expert opinions about this... Instead, I'll deal with any advice you guys can give (grin)...

Jack_Simth
2008-08-28, 11:18 PM
A couple of things....

1) Why the caps on level-based benefits? Epic spellcasting doesn't have them.
2) You'll either want to include a couple of repeating Exalted feats (ones with self-stacking effects that can be taken multiple times), or permit replacement of an Exalted feat with a normal Epic feat - otherwise, you'll eventually run out (assuming the campaign goes that long)
3) It's your DM that needs to evaluate this - not a bunch of random people on the internet. Your DM will have a rough idea of how much wealth the party will end up with - and can use that to get a rough idea of what kind of bonuses the party will be dealing with - and as the Vow of Poverty is fundamentally designed to replace the bonuses from wealth, this is the measure you need to look at - which we can't help you with.

Philetus
2008-08-28, 11:58 PM
(1) The caps are because some of the write-ups I have seen for taking Vow of Poverty to epic levels have just gotten silly. At some point, normal scaling bonuses would get beyond the value of anything a PC could buy in any realm or plane (to the best of my memory. for the life of me, i can't remember where the epic wealth charts are). Also, if memory serves, there was WotC errata about capping max damage for spells and tweaking failed saving throws on insta-death spells for very high-level play, but that may have been 3.0 or just a figment.

(2) There are, if my math is right, 10 new exalted feats here, plus one which may be taken multiply (but still not an unlimited number of) times, in addition to the ones in BoED. Also, I slowed the progression down to every three levels sted every two. If the game runs that long, I have no problem with the free exalted feats just running out. But that's just me.

(3) We're already talking about it, and he wants me to put the list together. Basically, I'm trying to make something that would be balanced (as balanced as epic can be) with the strength of the party. I have no real doubt that he will lop off parts of this and tweak others, but I want to be able to present him with something honest, and that's why I'm looking for feedback from people who generally know what they are talking about...

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-29, 05:33 PM
the permenant tounges ability is useless.
The DMG already has the polyglot feat, and there is another epic feat like it, with no int requirment.