PDA

View Full Version : 4e Aasimar

stupnick
2008-07-02, 04:49 PM
Here is the new write up

The descendant of angels, an aasimar's racial heritage is written across his features for all to see. Whether by metallic hair or shining emerald skin, a featureless face or glowing eyes, the presence of a halo or great snowy wings, it is clear to all who see them that here is the child of a woman who played away with a servant of the gods. They retain some of their angelic ancestor's control over the searing light of the Astral Sea, though their contamination with base matter has robbed it of much of its power. An aasumar picks two distinct features that normally depict angels, and are listed above. (metallic hair, shining emerald skin, featureless face, glowing eyes, halo, wings)

Aasimar: +2 Cha, +2 Str
Move : 6
Vision: Low Light Vision

Skill: +2 Intimidate, +2 Insight
Angelic Presence: The aasimar gains a +1 bonus to all defenses as long as they are not bloodied
Angelic Radiance: Can use Angelic Radiance as an Encounter Power
Languages: Common, Supernal

Angelic Radiance
Encouter Radiance, Divine
Minor Close Burst 2
Target: All Creatures in Burst
Cha VS Will
Hit: All Enemies in the burst take 1d6+cha radiant damage
Effect: All Allies in the burst heal cha mod hp
At level 11 the damage increases to 2d6+cha. At 21 the damage increases to 3d6+cha.

FEATS

Heroic Tier:
Suggestion of Wings.
In strong light, or when you really need them, the suggestion of a pair of graceful wings can be seen emerging from your shoulders. They bear you up when you leap.
Once per day for one round you may move as if you had flight. Any move action must end with you on solid ground.

Extend Radiance
Your Angelic Radiance extends itself out to Close Burst 3

Path of Angelic Destiny
You begin to focus yourself down the path of your angelic heritage.
You choose your Path of Angelic Destiny, whether that be the path of Battle, Protection, Valor, or Vengeance. You may only have 1 at any time.

Battle: Once per day an aasimar down the path of battle can illuminate an enemy it hits with a melee attack, bathing the enemy in light as bright as a torch and granting the aasimar’s allies combat advantage against that enemy for the next attack.

Protection: The Aasimar who chooses this path gains an Angelic Shield aura. This aura is present only while the Aasimar’s Angelic Presence is in effect. All squares in the aura are considered difficult terrain for the aasimar’s enemies. When this feat is first taken it is an Aura 1.

Valor: Once per day as a minor action while bloodied the aasimar’s may sheath its weapon in holy fire. The weapon does radiance damage with a bonus equal to the aasimar’s charisma modifier. In addition to that, all the attacks target the enemies reflex defense instead of the listed one.

Vengeance: Upon taking this feat the Aasimar sacrifices his Angelic Presence ability. He instead gains Cloak of Vengeance. This ability works exactly the same, until bloodied any person attacking the aasimar takes a -2 penalty on his attack rolls. In addition to that, any melee attack that reduces the assimar to bloodied deals 1d2 cold and 1d2 fire damage plus the aasimar’s charisma modifier.

Paragon tier:
Wings of the Firmament. Prereq: Suggestion of Wings.
Your wings are visible all the time now, if only out of the corner of the eye.
Once per encounter, you may move as if you had flight. Any move action must end with you on solid ground.

Improved Path of Angelic Destiny. Prereq: Path of Angelic Destiny of the appropriate path.
Battle: Your Path of Angelic Destiny ability improves to once per encounter
Protection: Your Angelic Shield Aura now allows you to share your Angelic Presence with 1 adjacent ally.
Valor: Your Path of Angelic Destiny ability improves to once per encounter
Vengeance: Your Cloak of Vengeance ability improves to 1d4 fire and 1d4 cold plus charisma modifier damage

Epic tier:
Pinions of the Angel. Prereq: Wings of the Firmament.
When you will them to become solid, you have the wings of an angel.
Once per encounter, you may move as if you had flight. Any move action must end with you on solid ground. Sustain: minor

Superior Path of Angelic Destiny. Prereq: Improved Path of Angelic Destiny of the appropriate path.
Battle: Your Path of Angelic Destiny ability improves to once per round as a minor action.
Protection: Your Angelic Shield Aura improves to Aura 2
Valor: Your Path of Angelic Destiny ability improves to once per encounter, sustain: Minor
Vengeance: Your Cloak of Vengeance ability improves to 1d6 fire and 1d6 cold plus charisma modifier damage

AASIMAR. The descendant of angels, an aasimar's racial heritage is written across his features for all to see. Whether by metallic hair or shining emerald skin, a featureless face or glowing eyes, the presence of a halo or great snowy wings, it is clear to all who see them that here is the child of a woman who played away with a servant of the gods. They retain some of their angelic ancestor's control over the searing light of the Astral Sea, though their contamination with base matter has robbed it of much of its power.

Aasimar: +2 Cha, +2 Str (in 4e, angels went more midevil, and more destructive)

Skill: +2 Intimidate, +2 Insight (the only skills most angels have is intimidate and insight, therefor making it a choice for the aasimar, following in there path)
Angelic Presence: Attacks against the aasimar take a –2 penalty as long as the aasimar isn’t bloodied (1 ability instead of two)

Angelic Radiance
Encouter Radiance, Implement Divine
Minor Close Burst 2
Cha or Str or Wis VS Will
Hit: All Enemies in the burst take 1d6+cha damage
Effect: All Allies in the burst heal cha mod hp (effect might put it over the top, more than likely change this to a feat)

FEATS

Heroic tier:
Suggestion of Wings.
In strong light, or when you really need them, the suggestion of a pair of graceful wings can be seen emerging from your shoulders. They bear you up when you leap.
You are considered trained for Athletics checks for the purposes of jumping only. You ignore all armor check penalties and encumbrance for the purposes of jumping.

Path of Angelic Destiny
You choice your Path of Angelic Destiny, whether that be the path of Battle, Protection, Valor, or Vengeance.

Battle: Once per day an aasimar down the path of battle can illuminate an enemy it hits with a falchion attack, bathing the enemy in light as bright as a torch and granting the aasimar’s allies combat advantage against that enemy until the start of the aasimar’s next turn. At 11th level with the investing of a 2nd feat this improves to once per encounter, And at 21st level with investing a 3rd feat this improves to once per round as a free action.

Protection: The Aasimar who chooses this path gains an Angelic Shield aura. This aura is present only while the Aasimar’s Angelic Presence is in effect. All squares in the aura are considered difficult terrain for the aasimar’s enemies. When this feat is first taken it is an Aura 1, At 11th with the investing of a 2nd feat this improves to Aura 3, and at 21st with a 3rd feat invested this improves to Aura 5.

Valor: Once per day as a minor action while bloodied the aasimar’s may sheath its weapon in fire. The weapon does fire damage with a bonus equal to the aasimar’s charisma modifier. In addition to that, all the attacks target the enemies reflex save instead of the listed one. At 11th level with the investing of a 2nd feat this improves to once per encounter, And at 21st level with investing a 3rd feat this improves to once per round as a free action.

Vengeance: Upon taking this feat the Aasimar sacrifices his Angelic Presence ability. He instead gains Cloak of Vengeance. This ability works exactly the same, until bloodied any person attacking the aasimar takes a -2 penalty on his attack rolls. In addition to that, any melee attack that hits the assimar while his cloak of vengeance is in effect takes 1d4 cold and 1d4 fire damage. At 11th level with the investing of a 2nd feat this improves to 2d4 cold and fire damage. At 21st level with the investment of a 3rd feat this improves to 3d4 cold and fire damage.

Paragon tier:
Your wings are visible all the time now, if only out of the corner of the eye. They are under your conscious control, though they are not yet solid enough to allow true flight.
You divide all distances by four for the purposes of jumping (vertically or horizontally).
You also are able to glide while falling, for ever 10 feet you fall you may move up 15 feet horizontally

Epic tier:
You may replace one utility power with the Wizard spell, fly.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now i am not sure about the flight/wings feats. flying once per day at level 21 doesn't seem all that great for the investment of 3 feats. possibly using it more times per day, but not sure how to get that done w/o breaking it.

please let me know what you think about this, as i have a playing that is intersted in playing an aasimar

stupnick
2008-07-03, 12:16 PM
anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/opinions???

47 views no responses : (

my player is waiting for me to get this fleshed for him to play it

Hoplite
2008-07-03, 02:39 PM
I am not sure, only judging the stats, they seem to me as a bit overpowered. I must say though that I am quite new to 4e and I don't have my phb at the moment.

Angelic Presence is weird, I haven't seen any racial abilities that give penalties to others. Could work though.

I do think that Angelic Radiance is overpowered. The effect is a bit too much and even for an attack, it is stronger than the dragonborn power.

RTGoodman
2008-07-03, 03:23 PM
Well, off the top of my head I can tell you that a -2 to attacks against them is a pretty powerful ability. I'd decrease it to -1, or just say they have a +1 to defenses while non Bloodied.

I'd also maybe change up the ability score adjustments and skill bonuses - I mean, you've basically just written up the Dragonborn race, but with Insight instead of History. Maybe change the +2 Intimidate or +2 Insight to +2 Religion.

The healing with the Racial Power is probably a little over the top. Some other suggestions for the power: add that the damage is Radiant (or get rid of the Radiant keyword, though the first option makes more sense), maybe just let the ability be based off Cha (Str doesn't make sense, but Con or Wis could work I suppose), and make the damage increase at 11th and 21st level.

The Vengeance Path seems a little powerful to me. I'd say change it to something like, "Whenever an opponent uses a melee attack that renders the Aasimar Bloodied, that opponent takes Radiant damage equal 1d10 (or 1d8) + the Aasimar's Charisma modifier." Maybe increase it to 2d10 (or 2d8) at a higher level (21st, perhaps).

The Protection Path also seems way overpowered. I don't really know what to do, except maybe make it a Paragon level feat.

The Battle Path is overpowered at higher levels. You basically just gave them an attack as a free action that works out as good as or better than a lot of Warlord powers. I'd just give it as an encounter power, maybe based off the Drow's "Faerie Fire" power (or whatever it's called). Something like: Str vs. AC; Hit: [1]W + Cha modifier damage, and the target grants combat advantage to all allies until the end of your next turn; at 21st level, this damage becomes 2[W] + Cha modifier.

Regarding spending extra feats - I wouldn't do that. It just seems weird. If you really want them to spend extra feats, write out one that's called "Improved Path of Destiny" and lays out the benefits for each path, though you should consider how powerful some of them are at higher levels. Also, you should only be able to pick one Path, and I don't know if you've said that.

I don't know about the flight. It's sort of iffy in 4E, and I personally probably wouldn't give it as a racial ability just because it's usually limited to like 5 minutes at a time.

stupnick
2008-07-03, 03:57 PM
Well, off the top of my head I can tell you that a -2 to attacks against them is a pretty powerful ability. I'd decrease it to -1, or just say they have a +1 to defenses while non Bloodied.

I do understand where you are coming from with this. It does seem slightly more powerful that most of the other races, reason being, is because this race only gaines 1 ability, apart from there power. and other classes get 2-3. I got this ability from the angels in the monster manual, as they have this. But i can see where you are coming from, and in this addition -1 or +1 is alot bigger than 3.5

I'd also maybe change up the ability score adjustments and skill bonuses - I mean, you've basically just written up the Dragonborn race, but with Insight instead of History. Maybe change the +2 Intimidate or +2 Insight to +2 Religion.

It may seem like they are just a copy of the dragonborn in this aspect. But in the Monster Manual, all the angels have 1-2 skills trained. And those are intimidate, and a few have insight. so that was why i determained to use insight and intimidate for there class skills. i was debating doing intimidate and religion, but technically just because you are part angel doesn't mean you would know about religion, you may not even know what you are. but the race would help them with the other two skills.

The healing with the Racial Power is probably a little over the top. Some other suggestions for the power: add that the damage is Radiant (or get rid of the Radiant keyword, though the first option makes more sense), maybe just let the ability be based off Cha (Str doesn't make sense, but Con or Wis could work I suppose), and make the damage increase at 11th and 21st level.

yes it does deal radiant damage, i did forget to list that. Thank you. As far as basing it off charisma, i believe that would be the best choice. thank you.
as far as the healing, i am still debating that. the dragonborn get +2 to hit(+2 more per tier) and use con which is an important stat for damage. instead they use cha to healing. by the time you are level 11+ or 21+ it would do at most +6-10 healing to anyone next to you. while the dragonborn will hit alot more often with a +6 to hit. i believe this will avg itself out.

The Vengeance Path seems a little powerful to me. I'd say change it to something like, "Whenever an opponent uses a melee attack that renders the Aasimar Bloodied, that opponent takes Radiant damage equal 1d10 (or 1d8) + the Aasimar's Charisma modifier." Maybe increase it to 2d10 (or 2d8) at a higher level (21st, perhaps).

I actually like that change alot more, that what i had listed. maybe 1d4+cha, 2d4+cha, 3d4+cha tiers?

The Protection Path also seems way overpowered. I don't really know what to do, except maybe make it a Paragon level feat.

i believe lowering it down to aura 1/2/3 respectively would fix some issues.

The Battle Path is overpowered at higher levels. You basically just gave them an attack as a free action that works out as good as or better than a lot of Warlord powers. I'd just give it as an encounter power, maybe based off the Drow's "Faerie Fire" power (or whatever it's called). Something like: Str vs. AC; Hit: [1]W + Cha modifier damage, and the target grants combat advantage to all allies until the end of your next turn; at 21st level, this damage becomes 2[W] + Cha modifier.

i believe this should be changed to grant the next ally that attacks the enemy combat advangtage, and also changing the level 21+ to a minor action, which for most melee, those are important to keep

Regarding spending extra feats - I wouldn't do that. It just seems weird. If you really want them to spend extra feats, write out one that's called "Improved Path of Destiny" and lays out the benefits for each path, though you should consider how powerful some of them are at higher levels. Also, you should only be able to pick one Path, and I don't know if you've said that.

Yes, that is how i was picturing it, but just for simplicity sake i was doing it this way. i should state, but yes only 1 path is allowed. you also start developing a look depending on your path.

I don't know about the flight. It's sort of iffy in 4E, and I personally probably wouldn't give it as a racial ability just because it's usually limited to like 5 minutes at a time.

the listed is how someone else had it, i am not to happy with it as listed.
my idea just came up with is this:
heroic 1/day aasimar gains a luminecent set of wings that allows him to move as if he had flight, he must end any move action on the ground.
paragon 1/encounter the aasimar's luminencent wings are now always there, but same ability as above.
epic 1/encounter, sustain minor the aasimar grows a set of divine angelic wings, same as above

stupnick
2008-07-03, 04:18 PM
Here is the new write up

The descendant of angels, an aasimar's racial heritage is written across his features for all to see. Whether by metallic hair or shining emerald skin, a featureless face or glowing eyes, the presence of a halo or great snowy wings, it is clear to all who see them that here is the child of a woman who played away with a servant of the gods. They retain some of their angelic ancestor's control over the searing light of the Astral Sea, though their contamination with base matter has robbed it of much of its power. An aasumar picks two distinct features that normally depict angels, and are listed above. (metallic hair, shining emerald skin, featureless face, glowing eyes, halo, wings)

Aasimar: +2 Cha, +2 Str

Skill: +2 Intimidate, +2 Insight
Angelic Presence: The aasimar gains a +1 bonus to all defenses as long as they are not bloodied

Angelic Radiance
Encouter Radiance, Divine
Minor Close Burst 2
Cha VS Will
Hit: All Enemies in the burst take 1d6+cha radiant damage
Effect: All Allies in the burst heal cha mod hp
At level 11 the damage increases to 2d6+cha. At 21 the damage increases to 3d6+cha.

FEATS

Heroic Tier:
Suggestion of Wings.
Once per day for one round you may move as if you had flight. Any move action must end with you on solid ground.

Extend Radiance
Your Angelic Radiance extends itself out to Close Burst 3

Path of Angelic Destiny
You choose your Path of Angelic Destiny, whether that be the path of Battle, Protection, Valor, or Vengeance. You may only have 1 at any time.

Battle: Once per day an aasimar down the path of battle can illuminate an enemy it hits with a melee attack, bathing the enemy in light as bright as a torch and granting the aasimar’s allies combat advantage against that enemy for the next attack.

Protection: The Aasimar who chooses this path gains an Angelic Shield aura. This aura is present only while the Aasimar’s Angelic Presence is in effect. All squares in the aura are considered difficult terrain for the aasimar’s enemies. When this feat is first taken it is an Aura 1.

Valor: Once per day as a minor action while bloodied the aasimar’s may sheath its weapon in holy fire. The weapon does radiance damage with a bonus equal to the aasimar’s charisma modifier. In addition to that, all the attacks target the enemies reflex defense instead of the listed one.

Vengeance: Upon taking this feat the Aasimar sacrifices his Angelic Presence ability. He instead gains Cloak of Vengeance. This ability works exactly the same, until bloodied any person attacking the aasimar takes a -2 penalty on his attack rolls. In addition to that, any melee attack that reduces the assimar to bloodied deals 1d2 cold and 1d2 fire damage plus the aasimar’s charisma modifier.

Paragon tier:
Your wings are visible all the time now, if only out of the corner of the eye.
Once per encounter, you may move as if you had flight. Any move action must end with you on solid ground.

Improved Path of Angelic Destiny. Prereq: Path of Angelic Destiny of the appropriate path.
Battle: Your Path of Angelic Destiny ability improves to once per encounter
Protection: Your Angelic Shield Aura now allows you to share your Angelic Presence with 1 adjacent ally.
Valor: Your Path of Angelic Destiny ability improves to once per encounter
Vengeance: Your Cloak of Vengeance ability improves to 1d4 fire and 1d4 cold plus charisma modifier damage

Epic tier:
Once per encounter, you may move as if you had flight. Any move action must end with you on solid ground. Sustain: minor

Superior Path of Angelic Destiny. Prereq: Improved Path of Angelic Destiny of the appropriate path.
Battle: Your Path of Angelic Destiny ability improves to once per round as a minor action.
Protection: Your Angelic Shield Aura improves to Aura 2
Valor: Your Path of Angelic Destiny ability improves to once per encounter, sustain: Minor
Vengeance: Your Cloak of Vengeance ability improves to 1d6 fire and 1d6 cold plus charisma modifier damage

Shades of Gray
2008-07-03, 08:51 PM
Why don't you just update the first post?