PDA

View Full Version : Bad puns- roleplaying style

Mercenary Pen
2008-07-02, 06:25 PM
This thread is intended to contain bad puns with a roleplaying slant to them.

Those used in either Order of the stick or Erfworld should not be posted here- it's easy enough to create a more appropriate thread for them...

These puns may be used as inspiration for other roleplayers and, should any of them make it into Order of the Stick, the poster will have my admiration as a bare minimum- though there is of course no reason to suspect Rich Burlew will even look at them...

Anyhow- pun suggestions:
Flogging an undead horse.
Don't let the bugbears bite.

More ideas forthcoming as and when they are thought of.

Conrad Poohs
2008-07-03, 12:58 AM
For shear awfulness it's difficult to surpass "dragon the chain" ...it doesn't even mean anything! :smalleek: ...begs the question why I thought of it actually...

...hmmm, that's sad, you'd think that after posting one that bad it would be only too easy to add something that's better in comparatison, but no :smallfrown:...

WalkingTarget
2008-07-03, 08:37 AM
I can't think of any examples right now, but my gaming group back in college had a standing rule that if you made the GM groan with the badness of a pun you got an extra unit of character advancement (one XP in White Wolf games, a point of Cthulhu Mythos in CoC, stuff like that).

Mercenary Pen
2008-07-03, 10:14 AM
You could always mistake something for a monster...

For example, someone holding a bee might be considered a 'Bee Holder'

That sort of trick could even be used to foil truth/falsehood spells (ideally when the bluffing party cannot be seen)

e.g.
Hobgoblin Cleric: Who goes there?
Haley: (Behind big heavy door) I'm a bee holder
Hobgoblin Cleric: Okay then, you're an evil creature, we don't have to stand in your way... (walks off with associated legion of hobgoblins).
Haley: (Bursts through door and sneak attacks departing hobgoblins)

Also- given the number of star wars references in Order of the Stick- I shall reveal that mightiest of weapons:

The Millennium Falchion

GenLee
2008-07-03, 07:51 PM
... my gaming group back in college had a standing rule that if you made the GM groan with the badness of a pun you got an extra unit of character advancement .

I was in an AD&D game with that rule. One session was totally sidetracked when the (female) thief was unable to open a locked chest. The (male) thief in the party said, "I'll go over and examine her chest."
Someone said, "Be sure to check for booby traps!"
It went downhill from there. I don't remember that group playing again after that.

Eredo
2008-07-04, 06:36 AM
I say "It's time to Buckle your Swash" a lot, I tell ya, the old ones are still the best!