PDA

View Full Version : diablo (3?)-esque setting

fireinthedust
2008-07-02, 08:08 PM
So I've got a game I want to run. It's going to be dark, there's the mortal world at the center of a scheme of Fiendlords from the Dungeon Realms (lower planes) who're trying to be horrifically evil. Cultists running about sending out horrors, necromancers raiding graveyards, mage-clans fighting, barbarians leaping about smashing things, and sorceresses and amazons just. looking. fantastic. I get that.

Thing is, I don't want to just re-use Orcus or Diablo, by name, as the bbeg. Really like Orcus, and may go there, but still.
I want that sort of gist to them, but not re-use the availables currently published (so while Grzzt and certainly Yeenoghu, Baphomet, etc., may be around, I want a different bbeg).

I'm having trouble mostly with the name. Undead legions are important, fire and brimstone, hack and slash, and destroying the world. Probably looks a lot like the balrog from lotr. Guh.

Any suggestions? Or sources I can read/raid for ideas?

Actually, while I'm on it, what books go for this sort of setting? Are there diablo 2 books, etc.?

AmberVael
2008-07-02, 08:16 PM
How about Surtr/Surtur/Surt, the Norse fire giant who will end the world by consuming it in flames and overrunning it with his minions? While he may be too well known, you could definitely use some of his influence there...

LoopyZebra
2008-07-02, 08:22 PM
There was a Diablo 2 d20 game (campaign setting?) published by WotC a few years back, I believe. As Vael recommends, Surtur (or another Norse god involved in Ragnarok) might work well.

Diablo always had a Judeo-Christian vibe (with crosses and whatnot) to it, you may want to borrow names from that.

Here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_demons) a list of demon names (specific and not) from various sources. I used it recently to name an imp.

KillianHawkeye
2008-07-02, 10:16 PM
I was always a fan of Apollyon if you want an end-of-the-world sort of character. He is the archetypical Lord of the Bottomless Pit, the biblical "Beast", and is (or may be) the equivalent of Satan. In the Book of Revelations he comes up from the Pit with a swarm of locusts. His name is Greek meaning "destruction".

Chronos
2008-07-02, 10:20 PM
If you want to give your players a laugh, name the ultimate über-powerful demon lord "Rakanishu" or "Bishibosh".

LoopyZebra
2008-07-02, 10:23 PM
If you want to give your players a laugh, name the ultimate über-powerful demon lord "Rakanishu" or "Bishibosh".

Lol. That's good.

Deth Muncher
2008-07-02, 10:23 PM

*twitch*

I need to go play that game again specifically to go smash Bishibosh multiple times...

Da King
2008-07-02, 10:25 PM
I think I actually have that Diablo 2 d20 setting, I'll see if I can dig it up and get some information for you.

hamishspence
2008-07-03, 05:20 AM
I have one half: monsters & adventurers, in "To Hell and Back" Unffortunately I never found the other half: classes and items, in "Diablerie"

Bayar
2008-07-03, 07:11 AM
There was a Diablo 2 d20 game (campaign setting?) published by WotC a few years back, I believe.

It was for 3.0 ...would need a 3.5 patch.

hamishspence
2008-07-03, 07:24 AM
how to patch:
Remove skills that aren't there anymore (innuendo, intuit direction). Replace with something appropiate.
Adjust resistances to fit with 3.5 demons or devils.
Adjust DR to fit with 3.5: i.e lower, alignment, metals, not just Magic.

Check BAB and the like, if there was a significant change to the BAB of the monster type.
Check spell like abilites, if any no longer exist, use 3.5 equivalent.

this is the sort of thing needed to patch a 3rd ed product.

Godric
2008-07-03, 08:29 AM
I actually started one much like that! Here are some fun ideas

Fallen Ones obviously = goblins with fire resist 5. If you want to re-create a Fallen Shaman, simply take a hexer, remove vexing cloud and give him a resurrect minion (and only minion) immediate interrupt ability. Just re-fluff and away you go.

Goat Men = Hobgoblins. Trust me, this works out great.

Scavengers (diablo 1) are great as reflavoured kobolds. Up their speed to 7, give them a "while bloodied" or "while enemy is bloodied" ability and another ability (perhaps a knockback, they have wicked jumping power) and you're set.

And etc. Just flip through the MM and you'll find everything you need! :) As for the names, the demon name site is good. Otherwise I just shamelessly used the names and they didn't mind...they won't be facing them anytime soon anyhow.

fireinthedust
2008-07-03, 08:49 AM
Diablo 2 setting: I have the opposite! I grabbed Diablerie, but skipped "to hell and back" (though the store nearby has a pile of the rest, THAB and some other one).

Also, I'm using a different system than DnD, per say, tho d20. Barbarians, dark elves, dwarves, mages, necromancers, and some quasi-magical amazons. Should be good.

Name: thanks for the list! I've got acouple I'm thinking of now, between parts of one and one on the list.