PDA

View Full Version : 4E Vampire Race

Ceiling009
2008-07-02, 08:15 PM
So yes, I'm sure this has been brought up countless times (maybe a few), but this is my take on the vampire race versus something that well, is an undead vampire.. You can download it here. (http://lunespire.googlepages.com/PBVampire4e.pdf) Since I really don't want to mess with Formatting all over again, it's also amazing what you can do in MS Word... It's in PDF format.

Tell me what you guys think...

Tormsskull
2008-07-05, 05:35 PM
I don't have a good handle on the 4e mechanics yet, so I can't say if it is balanced or not, but you definitely need to work on your writing. The formatting and the image are really good, so just work on the writing and I think you have some solid here.

Ceiling009
2008-07-05, 05:48 PM
I, yeah, I do. In all seriousness, I write most of this in the wee hours of the morning, though I mean, it's not that late for me, since I have my sleeping schedule shifted like 6 hours up... But most of the time I'm just hashing out a lot of things, ideas, and what I think should be in there. I'm kinda anal about formatting. I'll see what I can do about my writing.

Devigod
2008-07-05, 10:48 PM
Alright, as for first impressions, flavorfully, I would try renaming Tied to Undead to something more akin to Unliving Resilience. Up to you, I just think that it has more of a ring to it.

Mechanically, it looks golden for game balance. I would suggest that you take away the additional -1 to AC that you take when you gain the blood frenzy feat. Another +1 to attack whenever a creature within 6 squares is bloodied should be fine. Feats rarely ever carry a further penalty.

As for Aura of the Beast, is the Beguiling Gaze prerequisite supposed to be Gaze of the Beast?

As for the last bit, I would suggest that you change Blood Drain to allow you to spend a healing surge, and probably take out Vampiric Gaze altogether. I just think that a healing surge is more fitting than siphoning just a little hp off of your foe.

If you're looking for more suggestions, might I suggest some Celerity powers? You know, ones that make them run faster? Hmm... other vampire powers... can't think of more at the moment (besides celerity.)

Other than that, it's looking really good. I might use it in my upcoming campaign. Good job!

mikeejimbo
2008-07-05, 11:29 PM
There's the commanding creatures of the night thing. Or the ability to turn into them, if you so desire.

Devigod
2008-07-05, 11:31 PM
There's the commanding creatures of the night thing. Or the ability to turn into them, if you so desire.

Yeah, but those ones don't seem quite as mechanically feasible... it had occurred to me, but it seemed tough to do.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-05, 11:57 PM
Very true. I suppose you could put something in about having to be invited into a residence but that seems unwieldy. :smalltongue:

Ceiling009
2008-07-06, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

I changed some of the things mentioned, thanks for the catch on beguiling gaze, it was a templating mistake from my work on the 4th edition satyxis from iron kingdoms...

Blood drain is based on the actual blood drain ability from the vampire template, though it probably makes more sense to spend a healing surge since you're a pc and not an npc. I took out vampiric gaze; though there is this really cool mention of a tiefling vampire being able to suck dry his victims from a distance and a gaze. I might re think that one later... it could be an Epic path...

I'm not really sure about more powers, though there could be more paragon paths, which then include more powers. But I'm not particularly sure what other paragon paths should stem from being a vampire. Though maybe some epic feats...