PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a spotlight hog

valadil
2008-07-02, 11:10 PM
Hey folks. I'm finding myself bothered by another player because he has to be the main character in every situation in game. He always manages to find a way to barge in and talk over anyone else's character. It's completely ruined game sessions for myself and for other players.

I know the answer is to talk to him. If I read this post, that's what I'd be suggesting too. What I'd like to know is if anyone else has already dealt with similarly problematic players, and how that worked out for them. I don't want to stop the guy from coming to our game or anything like that, I just want him to pick up some kindergarten principles like sharing and taking turns. Everyone in the group is in their mid 20s, so this really shouldn't be a problem.

Revanmal
2008-07-02, 11:31 PM
The few times its happened, a simple little conversation calmed them down most of the time. Only in one case did it ever not work. In fact, it only escalated.

It was on an RP forum I mod, and one of the characters was playing a bit unfairly, hogging the limelight. Borderline godmodding at times. We asked him politely to be more careful, and he agreed... for about a week. Then he started progressively getting worse. He'd land blows without giving the opponent time to react, lie, make up character details. It came to a head when his character (an incredibly stupid one at that: A psychic chef who spent more time acting random than using powers or cooking) somehow spontaneously gained the ability to control time, which allowed him alone to destroy the BBEG in one post. He tried to justify it by saying it was a one-time thing, and that his character died from exhaustion, but we had none of it and banned him.

Sometimes you just have to put your foot down if it goes too far.

Chronicled
2008-07-02, 11:33 PM
Hey folks. I'm finding myself bothered by another player because he has to be the main character in every situation in game. He always manages to find a way to barge in and talk over anyone else's character. It's completely ruined game sessions for myself and for other players.

I know the answer is to talk to him. If I read this post, that's what I'd be suggesting too. What I'd like to know is if anyone else has already dealt with similarly problematic players, and how that worked out for them. I don't want to stop the guy from coming to our game or anything like that, I just want him to pick up some kindergarten principles like sharing and taking turns. Everyone in the group is in their mid 20s, so this really shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, I've had this problem. Yes, the correct answer is to talk to the DM and/or the player. If he's a problem for the other players, having them as backup when you politely confront him can be helpful. Don't blame the guy; I'd even suggest an easy "out" (Ex: we know you have some really awesome characters that you get into, and you probably just didn't notice that we didn't have a chance to talk either). Possibly even suggest a way for the group members to let him know when he's getting carried away (coughing politely, a specific knuckle tap on the table, etc).

RTGoodman
2008-07-03, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I have this player. He's got to be the main character, and feels like he deserves to be the party leader both in character and out (i.e., giving other characters orders, deciding things by himself, etc.). And, of course, this is the same guy who, in more than two or three years of playing, has yet to come up with character that isn't a very obvious rip-off of an anime character.

If I DM, I usually just ask other people (rather pointedly) what THEY or THEIR CHARACTER wants to do and try to let him get the idea. Others that DM just sort of let it happen. Well, for the most part. One of our players (and occasional DMs) has just taken to telling him straight up, "Hey, you're not the only one here. Let everyone else do something, and let them speak for their characters." Surprisingly (or not), that works. As long as we tell him that once or so per session, he stays in line.

DigoDragon
2008-07-03, 07:15 AM
I been there. Strength in numbers; usually I get the other players who share the same issue to also speak with him. Helps to get the point across better if multiple people have the same issue.

comicshorse
2008-07-03, 07:28 AM
Yeah we had a player like that in a 'Shadowrun' game. Always the one who talked to everybody, always his plan ( which usually involved everyone else getting the boring research or survelliance roles). End came when one of the P.C.s was fighting an enemy he'd been gunning for since the start of the game. A really, tense close fight. They were both seriously plus wounded on the Physical and Stun and you could just imagine this two battered enemies desperately attacking each other, then the Spotlight Hog walked up behind the Bad Guy and shot him in the back of the head.
Completely ruined the atmosphere and for the cheapest possible kill and a moment of attention. ( And permanently pissing off the other player)
We spoke to the G.M., she had a word with the guy, he threw a hissy fit and left.
We were all very relieved actually.
My point, other than ventng, is that it might not go well. Your player might not understand how he's annoying everybody in which case a gentle, polite talk will work. But he might be a git who thinks everything revolves around him. In that case you just have to bite the bullet and get the argument out the way.

valadil
2008-07-03, 09:09 AM
If I DM, I usually just ask other people (rather pointedly) what THEY or THEIR CHARACTER wants to do and try to let him get the idea.

I can deal with this sort of player as a DM. I make a point of watching everyone during gameplay, and giving attention/cookies to anyone who looks like they're not having fun. I think it's one of my better points as a DM.

As a player I can't control this as easily. Part of the problem is that the DM we have gets a little narrow sighted, and as long as the one or two players he focuses on are having fun, he thinks everyone else is too.

I don't mind a player with a dominant character. Characters who want to be leader are perfectly valid. What I have trouble with is the dominant player who talks over everyone else and inserts his own character in every situation. He's also the guy who tells you what dice to roll and adds the results for you. Truth be told I wouldn't mind if he left the game entirely. Maybe I should be a confrontational jerk about this.

(Oh, and for the record I know I'm not the only player bothered by this.)

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-03, 09:26 AM
just remind him that DnD isn't a game you win - but just enjoy. Hes gotta give people a chance to enjoy it too... infatc, if you suggest that he lets other PCs take control of things a bit more often, it may present new challenges and puzzles for him to work through that he wouldn't have encountered on his own.

If you wanted more harsher treatments, you could have NPCs having a bad reaction to his PCs rude attitude, butting in... manners are very important to some, after all. And it would re-inforce the idea that he just has to give other people a chance sometimes.

what character class is he anyway? If you want to be really harsh, and hes playing outside his stats (being charming with a CHA of 7), then slap an XP penalty on him. Unless you've got the stats of a demigod, you're not going to excell at everything

valadil
2008-07-03, 10:42 AM
what character class is he anyway? If you want to be really harsh, and hes playing outside his stats (being charming with a CHA of 7), then slap an XP penalty on him. Unless you've got the stats of a demigod, you're not going to excell at everything

It's not D&D actually but Deadlands. And the thing about it is, he plays his character very well. If he had a low charisma he'd roleplay a low charisma. I respect that. The problem is that he shoves everyone else out of the way so that he is always the main character. It's almost like he's competing for GM time. Nobody else in the group has that attitude so we all get stomped on.