PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Shield Bash???

Crow
2008-07-03, 12:21 AM
Since there are no other stats for this, I am assuming that a shield bash would count as an improvised weapon. Would this be reasonable?

Speaking of improvised weapons:

Assuming a melee character was somehow separated from his weapon, would a shield used as an improvised weapon work with powers that require a melee weapon?

Does attacking with an improvised weapon provoke AoO's? (Couldn't find this anywhere, so wanted to be sure.)

DiscipleofBob
2008-07-03, 12:39 AM
As far as I can see, unarmed attacks and improvised weapons do not provoke AoO's, whether they be bottles, chairs, or halflings.

And yes, I'd count a shield as an improvised weapon to calculate damage with.

marjan
2008-07-03, 04:44 AM
Assuming a melee character was somehow separated from his weapon, would a shield used as an improvised weapon work with powers that require a melee weapon?

If you use it as a melee weapon it would work.

Crow
2008-07-03, 12:53 PM
Now what about powers that require you to be holding two weapons (like some ranger powers...they require you to be holding two weapons, but don't require an off-hand attack)? Would it be possible to consider a sword and shield as two melee weapons?

kirbsys
2008-07-03, 01:08 PM
I would say that in any given round the player must choose between using it offensively (as an improvised weapon) or defensively (as a shield) and it would count as such until he specified otherwise (and of course he must use it as such for the entire round, no switching between the two mid-round to gain the benefit of both).

TheOOB
2008-07-03, 07:48 PM
I would say that in any given round the player must choose between using it offensively (as an improvised weapon) or defensively (as a shield) and it would count as such until he specified otherwise (and of course he must use it as such for the entire round, no switching between the two mid-round to gain the benefit of both).

That would be the exact ruling I would make, and I would allow a heroic tier feat that allows you to do both, and another that lets you become proficient with it (+2 bonus). That would allow you to spend two feats to TWF with a sword and shield.

kirbsys
2008-07-04, 02:01 AM
In addition to this, I think that there's a power that involves shield bashing. Either a paladin or warlord one. I don't have my book nearby so I can't look it up, but I'm almost certain it exists.

Skyserpent
2008-07-04, 02:10 AM
In addition to this, I think that there's a power that involves shield bashing. Either a paladin or warlord one. I don't have my book nearby so I can't look it up, but I'm almost certain it exists.

Furious Smash the Warlord power suggests that a shield bash is utilized in the flavor text, that or a weapon or a shoulder but it's an idea...

TheOOB
2008-07-04, 02:17 AM
Well, a fighters Tide of Iron at-will power most likely involves a shield bash, on account of the fact that it requires a shield to use, though it's probably more of a shield push.