PDA

View Full Version : Hellblazer?

SamTheCleric
2008-07-03, 07:21 AM
Is this book any good? I've always wanted to check it out, but never gotten around to it.

Zencao
2008-07-03, 10:13 AM
In my opinion? Hell yes. But it's quality can range wildly between writers.

At best it's a witty well written comic that has great twists and very interesting plots acted out by strangely lovable characters (See 'bad habits' and 'reasons to be cheerful') at worst it's a slow paced and pretty boring when writers try to be edgy and witty but end up being confusing.

Overall I'd definitely recommend it, the writers that suck usually have very short runs before they get replaced by someone who knows what they're doing.

And what other comic let's you watch one of the biggest badass magnificent bastards ever outwit demons angels satan and at one point god himself.

Voshkod
2008-07-03, 10:24 AM
The Garth Ennis period is the best. Fantastic stuff. Nosedived after that.

John Constantine is one of the best characters out there.

Zencao
2008-07-03, 10:38 AM
I think Mike Carey's run was close to bringing back the awesomeness, but quality has dipped lately.

I'd say atleast give it a torrent, that way you can read from the very beginning and judge for yourself when it dives.

SamTheCleric
2008-07-03, 12:30 PM
I'll see if someone has the first trade in thier personal library... looks promising enough to try out.

Dryken
2008-07-05, 12:29 AM
I absolutely adore John Constantine. He's one of my favorite comic characters.

The early stuff is well written but the art is kind of...bad. And I find it kind of distracting in areas. But it's just amazing. Prepare for a commitment though. it's been going since the early 80s!

comicshorse
2008-07-05, 08:10 AM
But you can skip Brian Azzarello's run (146-174). It was just terrible.