PDA

View Full Version : Computer Troubles: CD drive?

Icewalker
2008-07-03, 10:24 AM
I have been trying to get the game Diablo 2 (with expansion) to work on my computer. I own the discs, but they are too scratched up to use. I downloaded the cracked discs off the internet, which I believe is legal because I actually own the discs. So no worries with that.

I got a virtual cd drive, it accepted the discs, and it installed correctly. I added the expansion, and it installed correctly. Everything going fine.

But now when I try to play it it won't recognize the virtual drive as the drive with the disc, and keeps asking me to put the disc in. I have the virtual drive with the disc in it...when I try to start that, it gives me the little 'play/register/quit' box and I click play and it asks me to put in the disc.

Then, because I have the disc with me, I actually tried that, and it won't recognize the real disc either. However I suspect that this is no fault of the cracked disc installation, because my expansion play disc is HUGELY scratched up, and I wasn't expecting it to work.

So really what I'm trying to do is get my computer to think that my virtual G drive is the main drive, so that it recognizes the disc in there as the disc the game needs to run.

Success! I got it to work through the latest patch, without needing the disc. I think there is something wrong with the files on the expansion disc I downloaded, so the game probably won't have music. Eh. I was gonna play iTunes over it anyways. :smalltongue:

Thanks for the help.

Greenpepa
2008-07-03, 10:42 AM
I'm pretty sure most Blizzard games do not require the disc anymore if they are updated with the latest patch. That is what happened t my Starcraft and Warcraft 3 games at least. Try updating to the latest patch and running the game.

Icewalker
2008-07-03, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I just found that. Trying to get that to work now. Something during the install process has left my computer moving ridiculously slow, it's really annoying.