PDA

View Full Version : Discworld's 25th anniversary (and don't I feel old)

dish
2008-07-03, 01:06 PM
I hadn't realised until I read this Neil Gaiman interview with Terry Pratchett (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/navigate.do?pPageID=1575), but apparently it's been twenty five years since The Colour of Magic was published.

I read it in paperback, so that was probably twenty three years ago. (Ow, ow, ow.)Oh well, Terry still seems very positive about the Alzheimer's, which is great news.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-03, 01:51 PM
25 years, 25 golden years.

Four years older then me.

Sigh.

Remember folks: He still ainted dead.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-03, 02:07 PM
25 years, 25 golden years.

Four years older then me.

Sigh.

Terry Pratchett is immortal!

Kato
2008-07-03, 02:43 PM
Terry Pratchett is immortal!

At least in our hearts, hehe...

anyway... I'm still way behind with reading all the books, damn it... Gotta get a new one soon, to catch up!

dish
2008-07-03, 02:58 PM

Indeed not. There's a new book (non-Discworld) coming out in the autumn. And another Discworld currently being written.

Selrahc
2008-07-03, 04:25 PM
I've been reading these books since I was nine(Back in 97). And when I think about it its crazy. I'm constantly gobsmacked by how fast he is at writing books. Especially given the great quality of Discworld. I'd hope for another another 25 years... but I think that may be being a bit optimistic. Still, I hope we've got a good few years of discworld left.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-03, 04:36 PM
How odd that I haven't seen Curly posting here yet, since it involves Pratchett...

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-03, 05:16 PM
Tch.
I was teaching my sister how to read properly. AKA with awareness of the thought the author put into each word. Which segues wonderfully into what I'm about to say.
I'm one of the most widely read people I know (heck, I'm even going to read an eleventh century Japanese novel soon) and Pratchett never ceases to amaze me. I was telling my sister about how the very best authors use the right word at the right time in the right place the ensuing perfection.
And I brought up the scene in Reaper Man. Everyone knows the one I mean, and I said, "I bet you read that line over and over because it felt o perfect." And then I helped her realise why it is such a perfect sentence and why it ties in with the ongoing metaphor and themes for the book.
You know what she did?
She burst out into a wide grin and said "I'm going to always read Terry Pratchett like that now because he impresses you and so many other smart people so much."
She is eleven. And I walked her through very advanced (for her) ways of analysing and she understood everything I said.

There's just something right about what he creates and children (I started reading Discworld at eight - it was Guards! guards!) and adults get entirely different levels out of him, and each level works flawlessly on thier own. But as you grow older you realise more and more of his ideas, word play and innuendo. Example: in Lords and Ladies there's a footnote after Nanny was thinking about broomsticks and maypoles being a mettyfor for sex and the footnote says: 'Of course, this is a phallasy(sp?)'. I only realised that after my third or forth reading.
So what I have told people so far? He's got such a wonderfully wide audience? Check.
His writing his nigh-flawless at imtes? Check. Oh, another example, the very last words (not including footnote) says "and from the hills, only the silence of the elve." paraphrase naturally. But it's those gems that you stumble upon thatmakes him stand out from most other writers.
He's hilarious? Check.

There are undoubtedly better writers; but none or at least very few of them craft characters that evlove so naturally and have such a wonderful mirror-world that just . . . works. Even if it shouldn't. And the frequency of when the books are produced does nothing to detract rom his world.
Pratchett, as much as one small review and one solitary fan can say anthing: I appluad you, your life, your work and I can only wish you the best and long life to you and the world you made.

Revlid
2008-07-04, 02:28 AM
*A fantastic illustration of why Terry Pratchett is one of the great authors of our time*

That is a fantastic illustration of why Terry Pratchett is one of the great authors of our time. Every time I read/re-read/re-re-read one of his books I pick up on something new.

I met him at a book signing just last month, and he's an amazing guy - we discussed Ravenholm from Half-Life 2.

Arameus
2008-07-04, 02:33 AM
AND THE WORLD SAID: *yawn*

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-04, 02:43 AM
Arameus, I think its a good idea to start running away, I can see Curly coming.

Also, *steals cookie and eatses it*

Rockphed
2008-07-04, 02:43 AM
And I brought up the scene in Reaper Man. Everyone knows the one I mean, and I said, "I bet you read that line over and over because it felt o perfect." And then I helped her realise why it is such a perfect sentence and why it ties in with the ongoing metaphor and themes for the book.

I'm sorry. I am tired and I haven't read that one in a while(though my brother owns it, so I can steal it if I want). What scene are you talking about?

Edit: At Arameus: And the True Believers hit the world with a half-brick in a sock(which is truly a fearsome weapon!)

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-04, 06:10 AM
I think the scene is the one with the death of universes and the line "WHAT ELSE CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR BUT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?"

Oh and Arameus, think fast!

(Blows bloat tipped dart at, before speaking.)

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-04, 09:52 AM
I think the scene is the one with the death of universes and the line "WHAT ELSE CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR BUT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?"

Yup.
That line.
*summons the Things to get Arameus*

dish
2008-07-04, 10:23 AM
I think Terry Pratchett is the Dickins of our time.

Of course we'll have to wait to see how history ends up viewing him, but there's the intensely-vivid characterisation, the humour, the sheer volume of output, the willingness to tackle important issues of the day, the fact that when he's good he's very very good, and when he's bad he's still pretty good.

Griffinwarrior
2008-07-04, 10:40 AM
And his books are still as awesome as ever!

Pronounceable
2008-07-04, 11:15 AM
Arameus, there's no place you can hide...

Of course we'll have to wait to see how history ends up viewing him

Nonsense! You don't need history, literary analysis from experts or the whole collection of his books to bow down before Pratchett (though the last one would help).

chiasaur11
2008-07-04, 01:38 PM

Because it stayed up past midnight reading "Hogfather" for the upteenth time?

Man, I gotta read Hogfather again. Death as Santa just doesn't get old.

Rockphed
2008-07-04, 02:01 PM
Man, I gotta read Hogfather again. Death as Santa just doesn't get old.

Correction: Death never gets old.

And thanks for pointing out that line EvilDM. It is a great line, but his books are full of great lines, so it is not quite unique enough for Curly's description to point it out.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-04, 02:21 PM

Kill 'im. Kill 'im till he's dead.

Happy 25th birthday, Luggage.

chiasaur11
2008-07-04, 02:23 PM
Correction: Death never gets old.

And thanks for pointing out that line EvilDM. It is a great line, but his books are full of great lines, so it is not quite unique enough for Curly's description to point it out.

Of course not. He'll outlive the universe, after all. Man, who doesn't love Death?

He's one of the top three deaths to get collected by in the history of fiction.

psycojester
2008-07-05, 07:33 AM

Personally i preferred

NO! NO CROWNS ONLY THE HARVEST!

Thufir
2008-07-05, 10:11 AM
Man, now my list of books to re-read has gone from about 5 to about 40.
I also started reading Discworld when I was 8. I didn't get as much out of it then as I do now, but nevertheless I think Discworld is the reason I became a bookworm (A regular one though, not a .303)

He's one of the top three deaths to get collected by in the history of fiction.

I'd put him in the top 2 with Death of the Endless. 3rd is Death from Good Omens. Anyone care to guess my 2 favourite authors?

Now, to dispose of Arameus... the Assassin's Guild are probably too expensive (My money can be better spent on books), so...
*Feeds Arameus to the Luggage*

chiasaur11
2008-07-05, 10:40 AM
Man, now my list of books to re-read has gone from about 5 to about 40.
I also started reading Discworld when I was 8. I didn't get as much out of it then as I do now, but nevertheless I think Discworld is the reason I became a bookworm (A regular one though, not a .303)

I'd put him in the top 2 with Death of the Endless. 3rd is Death from Good Omens. Anyone care to guess my 2 favourite authors?

Now, to dispose of Arameus... the Assassin's Guild are probably too expensive (My money can be better spent on books), so...
*Feeds Arameus to the Luggage*

Hey, don't get me wrong, as a character, he's Death numero uno. It's just other fiction has Deaths that are far easier to beat at Chess, checkers, tic tac toe, ect.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-05, 10:59 AM
Hey, don't get me wrong, as a character, he's Death numero uno. It's just other fiction has Deaths that are far easier to beat at Chess, checkers, tic tac toe, ect.

In GURPS Discworld it notes that Death must infact make checks to FAIL, because success is easy for him. He has a golf course and it is murder itself (metephoricaly of course) for him to even take 19 shots.

I include GURPS discworld in my personal cannon mostly for the conformation that Mr Teatime does indeed have a small crystal ball (running off genuine Discworld magic) in his FREAKING EYE SOCKET.

Thufir
2008-07-05, 11:30 AM

Easier to beat at chess?!

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW DO THE LITTLE HORSE SHAPED ONES MOVE?

chiasaur11
2008-07-05, 11:58 AM
Easier to beat at chess?!

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW DO THE LITTLE HORSE SHAPED ONES MOVE?

He still wins, though. I mean, that'd not just be fatal, but humiliating too.

Thufir
2008-07-05, 03:19 PM
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, nowhere in the book does it say that he wins. In fact, the line I just quoted is pretty much all we know of the game they played.

Eerie
2008-07-05, 03:59 PM
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, nowhere in the book does it say that he wins. In fact, the line I just quoted is pretty much all we know of the game they played.

He also lost a game once to Granny Weatherwax.

chiasaur11
2008-07-05, 04:07 PM

It also says at other points he always wins these things (don't have the page in front of me) and the Weatherwax one he one because she had 4 queens, and he only had four "ones".

H. Zee
2008-07-06, 02:05 AM
I've been a huge fan of Discworld for half my life and Pterry's books have been a huge influence on me. When I learnt of his Alzheimer's, it was like I'd taken a physical blow.

But now I'm inspired by the way he holds his head high and doesn't give up! It's really quite incredible, and listening to all his interviews and things, I've realised what a great man he is, not just for his brilliant writing skills, but for his upbeat attitude in the face of something which I for one wouldn't be able to handle.

So here's to you, Pterry, on your books' 25th birthday! *raises thimble of scumble*

Eredo
2008-07-07, 03:51 AM
Wow...25 years...and I've only been reading them for about 10 years...
A fantastic set of books, I hope Terry can make at least a few more :)

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-07, 09:21 AM
Proof the no matter how hard you wear out the words with your eyes you still miss stuff.

I am re-reading "Lords and Ladies." There is a passage describing Magrats attempts as embroidery to the effect that the sampler Bless This Hosue was abandoned. My mind fixed the spelling for me every time up until now so I had NEVER REALISED that there was an error. So latter when we get a footnote in the rules about who can vote in Lancre:

owning a hosue* worth more than

*Verance and Magrat are very alike in some ways.

I burst out laughing at the joke that I had missed all these times I have read the book.

BRC
2008-07-07, 09:25 AM
I prepose DEATH BY FEEGLE!

Anyway, I only started reading them last year, but I love them, all of them. My favorite is Night watch
"Tommorow, the sun's going to go up, and you won't find much truth. You'll be hard pressed for Justice, and I'm sure there won't be any freedom. But I might just get myself a hard boiled egg.

chiasaur11
2008-07-07, 12:06 PM
I prepose DEATH BY FEEGLE!

Anyway, I only started reading them last year, but I love them, all of them. My favorite is Night watch
"Tommorow, the sun's going to go up, and you won't find much truth. You'll be hard pressed for Justice, and I'm sure there won't be any freedom. But I might just get myself a hard boiled egg.

But...
He doesn't.

My third Discworld book. Only started reading last year. Already done with nearly everything.

dish
2008-07-08, 12:17 PM
Nonsense! You don't need history, literary analysis from experts or the whole collection of his books to bow down before Pratchett (though the last one would help).

Let me clarify: I already bow down before Pratchett's amazing imagination, humour, and writing ability. I was trying to say that we won't know if he becomes a 'classic' author along the lines of Dickens until we've given posterity a chance to judge him. Will his works still be relevant to future generations? I think it's highly likely, but sadly, I don't have second sight, and posterity has a tendency to make fools of us all. Luckily, posterity is best at making fools of the official literary critics - which only confirms my feeling that Terry has a very good chance of becoming a 'classic'.

I lost the entire Discworld collection (1983-2000) during a bad break-up with an ex, and I'm still bitter about it. (Losing the books, not the break-up - in retrospect that was very good for me.)

Thufir
2008-07-08, 09:29 PM
sadly, I don't have second sight

I do. I also have First Sight and Second Thoughts. And Third Thoughts I think.