PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Artificer beats out Bard for Arcane Leader

Crow
2008-07-03, 01:16 PM
Artificer Playtest (http://www.wizards.com/files/365_Artificer.pdf)

I have my own thoughts on this class, but I just wanted to get this post up quickly for now.

SamTheCleric
2008-07-03, 01:20 PM
Here's something interesting I found right off the bat....

What’s a Playtest Article
This article, presenting the artificer, is the first in a new semi-regular feature in Dragon. Every few months, we’re going to give you a sneak peek at content scheduled for release in a print product sometime in the coming year or so. That means this content is not finished. That’s right, you’re looking at something that’s still being worked on by our designers, developers, and editors.
In this case, we’re presenting the artificer, which is scheduled for release in 2009 in the Eberron Player’s Guide. This article presents a single build for the artificer, from 1st to 30th level. That means that not only is this content liable to change between now and when you see the class in print, but you’re only seeing a portion of the class’s eventual
suite of powers. Everything you see here is still eminently playable, so feel free to create your first artificer character and start playing.
Because this class isn’t done, though, we’re also asking for your feedback. If you have comments on the artificer, feel free to send them to [email protected]. Include the subject line “Artificer Playtest Feedback” in the subject line, and be specific!
If your comments are of the “I just don’t like it” or “I think it’s great” nature, that won’t help us make this class the best it can be. The more specific you are in the nature of your comments, the better. So dig deep and tap that inner game designer!

AKA_Bait
2008-07-03, 01:20 PM
Interesting.... although I wonder if they both might not end up in that role. There are already 2 Martial strikers after all and I suspect the artificer class is going to be eventually in the Ebr books, whereas I expect the Bard in a PHB or DDI release.

SamTheCleric
2008-07-03, 01:26 PM
As for the class itself... I like it. It seems like it has lots of flavor to its powers (limited as the selection may be) and a good mix of offense, defense and out of combat...

RTGoodman
2008-07-03, 01:42 PM
I'm torn! I strongly dislike Eberron and I've never like Artificers, but this class seems really cool! :smalleek:

Some of the powers seem kinda silly to me (that Springboard one, for instance), but some seem like they could be grabbed and used for other classes. Specifically, All-Consuming Missile (Daily 25) seems like you could just change it from Ranged Weapon to Ranged Implement and throw it in for Infernal Pact Warlocks (I mean, I'm sure Asmodeus would love to grant Warlocks some All-Consuming Hellfire that increases in damage every turn the opponent fails a save!).

Of course, I just noticed that in the "Hit" section of All-Consuming Missile, it never states that a Save ends the ongoing damage. It just says that the damage increases when they fail a save. Just a typo, but I guess that's the kinda thing they want folks to e-mail them about.

SamTheCleric
2008-07-03, 01:45 PM
Come on, the spring board was one of my favorites.... target gets free squares of movement equal to your con mod!

Ok, its a little silly ... but fun!

RTGoodman
2008-07-03, 01:54 PM
Come on, the spring board was one of my favorites.... target gets free squares of movement equal to your con mod!

Ok, its a little silly ... but fun!

You know why I find it kind of silly? I don't know if you've played Halo 3, but one of the items you can pick up is basically a portable grav-lift. You just throw it, it opens up, and it shoots you into the air when you walk over it. That's basically what the Springboard power is. :smalltongue:

Also, I'm intrigued by the mechanics of some of the magic items. Specifically, there are a few of them that let you expend a Arcane Daily or Encounter power to get a better effect. Is that new, or did I just miss that in the PHB? That seems like it could make for some interesting tactical choices.

Scintillatus
2008-07-03, 01:55 PM
CONJURE SPIRAL STAIRCASE!

Hell yes.

Easily my favorite class.

Tengu
2008-07-03, 02:07 PM
http://ffrpg.republika.pl/approve.PNG

The New Bruceski
2008-07-03, 02:27 PM
Also, I'm intrigued by the mechanics of some of the magic items. Specifically, there are a few of them that let you expend a Arcane Daily or Encounter power to get a better effect. Is that new, or did I just miss that in the PHB? That seems like it could make for some interesting tactical choices.

None currently do that, but they included power sources so that the option would be available later.

Skyserpent
2008-07-03, 03:53 PM
Bard might end up being shunted into "Primal" now that I think about it... I kinda like that direction for the fella...

AKA_Bait
2008-07-03, 04:17 PM
Bard might end up being shunted into "Primal" now that I think about it... I kinda like that direction for the fella...

Primal leader... humm... that... actually makes some sense for a bard. Never thought about it before, but I kinda like it too.

MammonAzrael
2008-07-03, 04:21 PM
I like the Artificer, and I think it's awesome they're giving us this as a preview and expecting responses. I hope that they'll really look hard at the constructive criticism they receive, and use it if it's a good idea.

A Primal Bard could be interesting...but a little odd, since one of their angles is the uber-urbanite. Personally, I don't think the Artificer will but the Bard out of the running, and I highly doubt WotC will wait until late 2009 before they release an Arcane Leader.

Artanis
2008-07-03, 04:40 PM
It looks really cool. It's especially interesting how some powers use Implements and some use Weapons, as it'll make for some interesting tactical and build choices (and a mental image of a guy dual wielding sticks with balls on the end, except that one is spiky and the other is glowy :smalltongue:)

There's definitely some "work in progress" spots I've noticed*, but they're generally either irrelevant or else pretty easy to smooth over using common sense.

*Non-Eberron deity names, Orbs being listed with used implements but not later in the "use X, Y, and Z, get its enhancement blah blah blah" part, and probably some stuff in the powers that I didn't notice due to just skimming over them.

RTGoodman
2008-07-03, 04:50 PM

I don't really see that. I mean, it's not like they're limited to one class for each Source-Role combination (cf. Ranger and Rogue, but Martial Strikers). I'd imagine Bard will continue to be an Arcane Leader, probably in PHB2, and that Artificer will ALSO be an Arcane Leader, albeit one printed in the Eberron Player's Guide (like the Swordmage begin printed in the FR Player's Guide).

Nonah_Me
2008-07-03, 05:24 PM
Bard was a sponteneous caster class, like sorc. Sorc is probably going to be Elemental, right? I figure Bard for the Elemental Leader.

Just a thought.

Kurald Galain
2008-07-03, 05:29 PM
Good powers, stupid fluff. Par for the course :smallsmile:

monty
2008-07-03, 05:34 PM
I don't care what it ends up being; bard fluff is just fun.

"I hit things with swords."
"I control the power of nature."
"I manipulate the very fabric of the universe."
"I sing."

CockroachTeaParty
2008-07-03, 05:39 PM
That looks like a barrel of laughs. 3rd edition artificers were fun, but they needed a LOT of bookkeeping, perhaps even more than wizards. It should be fun to play a 'gadgety' character with considerably more ease. And the arcane springboard is awesome.

Karaswanton
2008-07-03, 05:48 PM
Friggin awesome. I love gadgets.
Also, I've always had my bards be savage bards in my games, so bards being a Primal Leader makes sense to me. Bards kind of have to be Leaders.

Goober4473
2008-07-03, 07:19 PM
Anyone else find Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture really really powerful? It heals everyone all at once, plus temporary hit points.

Starsinger
2008-07-03, 07:22 PM
Anyone else find Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture really really powerful? It heals everyone all at once, plus temporary hit points.

That's because you're reading it wrong. It uses a healing sure to grant temporary hit points.

Goober4473
2008-07-03, 07:25 PM
Ahhh. That sounds much better.

Starsinger
2008-07-03, 07:28 PM
And of course, every use of that ability is a use of your healing spell that you can't use.

Dragonmuncher
2008-07-03, 08:53 PM
Really, the only thing I dislike is how short buffs last. I mean, a 16th level power gives you +4 to AC, for one round.

LoopyZebra
2008-07-03, 09:10 PM
You know why I find it kind of silly? I don't know if you've played Halo 3, but one of the items you can pick up is basically a portable grav-lift. You just throw it, it opens up, and it shoots you into the air when you walk over it. That's basically what the Springboard power is. :smalltongue:

Xbox 360: $400
Halo 3: $60
Killing your best friend when your Warthog lands on him because you were dumb enough to run it into the mancannon right after him: Priceless.

Bandaids for the beating he gave you afterwards: $5

As for something useful to say, I think it's cool that they are releasing preview content like this. I really liked their other preview content (Races and Classes, specifically), although this is far more mechanics based while R&C is mostly fluff based.

As for having multiple classes occupy the same role and power source: It's not a bad thing. So far, it hasn't been repetitive; rangers and rogues are throughly different. Having WotC pretend like the need to only put one entry in each power/role will create a false balance and some unwanted, silly classes.