PDA

View Full Version : Independence day

d'Bwobsling
2008-07-03, 02:31 PM
So for all playgrounders in America, Independecnce day is tomorow!
What do people usually do to celebrate in here

P.S forgive me if this thread is allready up

WalkingTarget
2008-07-03, 02:39 PM
Well, the 4th is also my dad's parents' anniversary, so there's generally a family thing (last year was their 60th and there was a big thing). This usually involves fireworks brought into the state by my uncle's family who lives in Texas (fireworks more complicated than sparklers can't be bought in Illinois).

This year, however, I have a friend who will be shipping to Afghanistan at the end of the month and this weekend is the last time when we're both free to do something before then, so I'll be heading down to his area after work today. We'll probably just hang out, play games, and/or go see a movie or two over the course of the weekend.

EmeraldRose
2008-07-03, 02:40 PM
Grilling and fireworks. :smallwink:

Lyesmith
2008-07-03, 02:41 PM
Plotting the downfall of you stupid colonials!
Ah ha ha ha haaaa!
*Sips tea and adjusts monocle in an evil fashion*

Oregano
2008-07-03, 02:44 PM
I'm going to be celebrating Independent day and listening to Feeder's cover of Public Image.

and sipping tea of course, because I wouldn't be british otherwise.

Mauve Shirt
2008-07-03, 02:44 PM
It looks likely that we're going to prepare picnic food and go see the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra concert & fireworks. Plans might change though.

UserClone
2008-07-03, 02:46 PM
Plotting the hostile takeover of the mother country!
BWAHAHAHAHA!
*Guzzles a beer, scarfs a hotdog, adjusts beer gut*

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-03, 02:48 PM
Probably drinking and writing (hopefully more of the latter than the former...but you never know)

If I'm lucky I'll be able to see fireworks from our apartment balcony.

Beholder1995
2008-07-03, 02:53 PM
Well, the 4th is also my dad's parents' anniversary, so there's generally a family thing.

That's one freaky coincidence. The 4th is also my Grandmother's Birthday, so in my family it's a triple-holiday.

wxdruid
2008-07-03, 03:51 PM
I'll be doing the typical weather career field thing...going to work on a federal holiday because the weather happens 24/7 and the 15th OWS is open 24/7. Other than that? Not much.

TwoBitWriter
2008-07-03, 04:20 PM
I am going on a three day backpacking/hiking trip around my native Oklahoma. Nothing but our tents on our backs and boots on our feet... Oh.. and food.

Out plan is to stop by the beautiful lake Murray to see some fireworks before hiking our way eastward a bit.

Meet up with a friend Sunday morning so he can drive us back to our cars at another friend's place (Don't want to walk all that way back, you know!)

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-03, 04:49 PM
Don't really have any family so it will likely just be me and a can of black powder.

RTGoodman
2008-07-03, 05:19 PM
This usually involves fireworks brought into the state by my uncle's family who lives in Texas (fireworks more complicated than sparklers can't be bought in Illinois).

Yeah, NC is the same way. We usually stockpile better stuff when we go to SC to the beach, but we haven't been and probably won't have anything special.

(Of course, my brother's birthday is the 12th, but we always do stuff for him on the 4th, meaning we'll have a cookout or something, at least.)

Icewalker
2008-07-03, 05:22 PM
I'm in Spain right now, traveling!

So, nothing here.

Pocketa
2008-07-04, 01:45 AM
I live in America, so I'm going to celebrate it, but I also celebrate Anzac Day by eating some Anzac cookies (it's hard to get past the first few bites, but then your mouth numbs so it's easier to force them down). I'm from NZ, but have lived in America most of my life. Parents are divorced, one in each country.

I went to a county fair and saw fireworks today. My boyfriend will take me to the fair again tomorrow and buy me some cute stuff (parasol to steam up, Keyblade full-size, Keyblade charm set, , go on some rides with me, and win me some and we'll stay till at least 11 (midnight closing). Or, I'll hang out with my bros and go to a barbecue or something at the local marina. 'Bros' as in close friends, and the friend of a close friend whom I'm in love with (the friend squared, not my friend).

Tomorrow's a big day...

Paladin29
2008-07-04, 06:39 AM
I'm in Spain right now, traveling!

So, nothing here.

You allways can go to the San Fermin in Pamplona (7th July).. I hope you enjoy your visit of my country :smallsmile:

Arameus
2008-07-04, 07:21 AM
On Independence Day, each and every American household sits on their backporch and drinks beer. They will them theorize what life would be like if they, themselves were their own independent naton. As they become more and more inebriated, this will sound better and better, until such independence is redeclared in honor of the occasion and in honor of the Glorious Nation of Smith, 324 Holbrook Lane.

Generally, such a state achieves nothing more historically notable than a noise violation and all-night festivities resulting in completely leveling the fledgling utopia. Thus, in the morning when the hangover is active and the sun is back up, July 5th is spent wordlessly rejoining our wonderful Union while vacuuming every room of the house sighingly lamenting the pair of trousers you can never again wear to work on account of your singing them with the illegal fireworks you bought just over the state border.

And that's pretty much the long and short of it.

Reinboom
2008-07-04, 07:37 AM
My 4th of July shall be celebrated by me:
Hating that the trax station opens late today.
Hoping that the store I want to go to isn't closed.
Playing random games that I would play on any other day.
Going to work.

It being a holiday is more of an inconvenience to me, I'm not fond of it.
I'm also not that fond of fireworks, either. One use items that don't do much significance other than give you memories of smacking mosquitoes all night. Oh, and the ability to read in the newspapers the next day about someone dying from them.

TheShadowSage
2008-07-04, 08:01 AM
That's one freaky coincidence. The 4th is also my Grandmother's Birthday, so in my family it's a triple-holiday.

That's even scarier, it's also my grandmother's birthday.

DraPrime
2008-07-04, 08:35 AM
Oh man it's cloudy. I really hope it doesn't rain during the fireworks.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-04, 10:26 AM
Happy Independence Day to our friends south of the Border! You have a great country!
I'm celebrating your independence day by buying myself an electric guitar. I was seriously considering the Dean U.S.A Dixie Rebel (http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_20&products_id=2908), but I'm going to end up with the Epiphone SG G-400 Custom (http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_20&products_id=1797)

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-04, 10:31 AM
Well, right now I'm going to break out my model rockets for the pre-fireworks air show. When it becomes dark, I'm heading out to a friend's to launch fireworks. :smallbiggrin:

Midnight Son
2008-07-04, 11:56 AM
I'm sick with a cold. I'm celebrating by staying home, snarfing Dayquil, and generally trying to avoid getting anyone else sick.http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/allalone.gifhttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/cry.gif

Collin152
2008-07-04, 12:08 PM
I hurt in organs I"m not sure I have.
But I plan to see a movie with friends, so wooh.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-07-04, 01:13 PM
Unlike Collin, who lives in the same area as me, yet we have yet to meet, I am going to hide in my cave away from the morons who insist on setting off fireworks in an area that rarely sees rain. And I will wait for Phoenix to burn itself to its foundations, and perhaps, like its name, rise from the ashes as a REAL city. :smallamused:

There are also too many morons to who think celebrating the 4th is a time to fire guns into the air, ignorant that physcis apply, and that those bullets must come down somewhere. Tomoorows news will be likely have that annual story of some poor individual who caught one of those falling bullets with a vital organ. :smalleek:

DraPrime
2008-07-04, 01:17 PM
If any of you are in Eastern Assachusetts then I recommend you come down to Boston. The fireworks over the Charles River are truly fantastic. I saw them 3 years ago, and I plan to see them again tonight.

Collin152
2008-07-04, 01:28 PM
Unlike Collin, who lives in the same area as me, yet we have yet to meet,

Just as well.
If you met me...
Well, I'd find out if you were a phoenix, anyways.

Dryken
2008-07-04, 01:39 PM
Just want to remind you Americans that the doors of Canada are always open to you when you eventually decide that we're far superior. :P

Happy Independence Day. Don't get destroyed by aliens and LISTEN to Jeff Goldblum!

Collin152
2008-07-04, 01:49 PM
In...duh...pen...dance?
It's the For'thajuly!

Apparently.

Semidi
2008-07-04, 02:00 PM
I'm going to clean my apartment, get some work done for school done, work on my novel, maybe watch the rest of lolita (I've been on a Stanley Kubrick addiction lately), and play diablo 2.

Wee...

I might even make pancakes.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-04, 02:42 PM
Play Rush really loudly, make fun of the government, plot the California Secession. :smallbiggrin:

Sewer_Bandito
2008-07-04, 02:52 PM
I'm going to:

a. Drive down to south Carolina to get the good stuff.

b. Drive back up here and set siad good stuff on fire.

I'm talking about fireworks, of course. :smallbiggrin:

SDF
2008-07-04, 07:42 PM
Boise is in a valley and my parents live in the hills overlooking the city so I can see all the fireworks from Boise to some of its farthest suburbs. BBQ ribs are to be had. Then my plans are to be selfish, drunken, vulgar, and lazy!

An Enemy Spy
2008-07-04, 08:34 PM
Blow up Seattle, Get drunk, Fight the Revolutionary War after forgetting what year this is, and wake up in a puddle of my own sick. God I love this country!

EvilElitest
2008-07-04, 09:30 PM
The true independence day is only in South Carolina, on wait a second i'm from North Carolina, never mind

Anyways, shall do my ancient family custom of

1) Get a air soft sniper rifle, and from my dorm room aim and take out each and every person wearing a red coat i see, and every person who i know to be from the UK or Germany. I shall fire warning shots a french people if they get too close, but i will beg for their help if i run out of bullets (also i refuse to listen to any british music for the entire day)
2) destroy a massive amount of tea
3) attempt to take back my ancestors land that was expanded into following the war, which never works

sadly, i love tea, so it is a hard day for me
From
EE

Collin152
2008-07-04, 09:34 PM
The true independence day is only in South Carolina, on wait a second i'm from North Carolina, never mind

Anyways, shall do my ancient family custom of

1) Get a air soft sniper rifle, and from my dorm room aim and take out each and every person wearing a red coat i see, and every person who i know to be from the UK or Germany. I shall fire warning shots a french people if they get too close, but i will beg for their help if i run out of bullets (also i refuse to listen to any british music for the entire day)
2) destroy a massive amount of tea
3) attempt to take back my ancestors land that was expanded into following the war, which never works

sadly, i love tea, so it is a hard day for me
From
EE
Don't forget the flowering autographs.
Send me a few, maybe.

EvilElitest
2008-07-04, 09:40 PM
Don't forget the flowering autographs.
Send me a few, maybe.

eh what now?
from
EE

Collin152
2008-07-04, 10:46 PM
eh what now?
from
EE

John Hancock.

An Enemy Spy
2008-07-04, 10:48 PM
He's talking about the signatures on the Declaration

Collin152
2008-07-04, 10:51 PM
He's talking about the signatures on the Declaration

Yes, and I forgot to mention, I'm King George.

EvilElitest
2008-07-04, 10:52 PM
ah ok then, well don't worry, you won't need to put on your glasses for me mr. George, i'll make sure you can read it
from
EE

Woot Spitum
2008-07-04, 10:59 PM
I will celebrate our independence by eating pie.

Collin152
2008-07-04, 11:03 PM
I will celebrate our independence by eating pie.

Apple-pie?

Player_Zero
2008-07-04, 11:08 PM
Yes, and I forgot to mention, I'm King George.

I'm Queen Victoria.

RobotPerfomance
2008-07-04, 11:12 PM
Watch the Fireworks and eat food with the family.

Collin152
2008-07-04, 11:16 PM
I'm Queen Victoria.

Wanna hook up?
I swear I'm nothing like Henry VIII.

EvilElitest
2008-07-04, 11:49 PM
Wanna hook up?

yeah, except after a while you go freaking bonkers. And your sit is an utter moron, but his butler is amazing
from
EE

Woot Spitum
2008-07-05, 12:11 AM
Apple-pie?Blueberry. Because it's better.

Waits for indignant rebuttals from the apple pie fans.:smallamused:

Griever
2008-07-05, 12:15 AM
Blueberry. Because it's better.

Waits for indignant rebuttals from the apple pie fans.:smallamused:

Actually... back when I was young(er), I loooved pumpkin pie best of all. However, yesterday I had the devine pleasure of trying rhubarb pie for the first time. I swear, that stuff is AMAZING!!!

Player_Zero
2008-07-05, 12:17 AM
Wanna hook up?

I lied. I'm not really Queen Victoria... I'm actually Princess Henry of Battenberg.

Fri
2008-07-05, 12:18 AM
Don't you guys have alien to fight or something in this day? Macbook for freedom!

Player_Zero
2008-07-05, 12:19 AM
Don't you guys have alien to fight or something in this day? Macbook for freedom!

Welcome to erf.

Purple Cloak
2008-07-05, 09:55 AM
You realise the way Britan is going we would probably have just given you your freedom like we did with the rest of our empire. :smalltongue:

But happy independence day and all that.

Collin152
2008-07-05, 12:22 PM
I lied. I'm not really Queen Victoria... I'm actually Princess Henry of Battenberg.

I'll still take that.

Midnight Son
2008-07-05, 12:24 PM
You realise the way Britan is going we would probably have just given you your freedom like we did with the rest of our empire. :smalltongue:

But happy independence day and all that.Ummm, in order for the dominoes to fall, the first one has to be pushed.

Purple Cloak
2008-07-05, 12:34 PM
Ummm, in order for the dominoes to fall, the first one has to be pushed.

Fair enough, at least you guys earned your freedom eh?
You have every reason to celebrate.

DraPrime
2008-07-05, 02:43 PM
Fair enough, at least you guys earned your freedom eh?
You have every reason to celebrate.

Indeed. We are quite proud of how outrageously un-British we are.