View Full Version : Vb Code Glitch?

SpikeFightwicky
2008-07-03, 02:41 PM
I was working on a message that contained some Vb code in it. One of the codes was [ br ] (without the spaces). When I previewed my post, it worked fine and skipped the line where present. However, in the message text after the preview, all [ br ] (w/o spaces) tags were converted to <br> tags that don't work (HTML tags).

The main reason I needed this was to make a 2-line single-row table.

Does this make sense? And if it does, is it something that's been brought up before? I couldn't find anything in the 'Search' tool.

Siosilvar
2008-07-03, 02:56 PM
I have no clue how to help, but to save you the trouble of typing in "without the spaces", use tags.

RTGoodman
2008-07-03, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure, but I think someone mentioned this before the answer was that the [br] code is an addition to the normal vB code and that's why it screws up.

What I do know is that the problem only occurs when you Preview or Edit posts, so you just have to fix them manually any time you do either of those things.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-07-03, 03:15 PM
It's called "BB Code." "VB code" is... an abomination.

SpikeFightwicky
2008-07-03, 03:36 PM
I have no clue how to help, but to save you the trouble of typing in "without the spaces", use tags.

Thanks! I spent an inordinate amount of time looking for just that tag :smallsmile:

It's called "BB Code." "VB code" is... an abomination.

I calls it as the FAQ tells it.

I'm not sure, but I think someone mentioned this before the answer was that the [br] code is an addition to the normal vB code and that's why it screws up.

What I do know is that the problem only occurs when you Preview or Edit posts, so you just have to fix them manually any time you do either of those things.

That may explain why it renders it into a plain HTML format. Looks like I'll have to use some Notepad-fu if I'm going to be doing some editing :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-04, 11:50 AM
This is a glitch I've mentioned a number of times.

It also affects the horizontal rule tag ("[hr]"). Any time the board code fetches those tags for you to edit, including when you Preview a post, the brackets are changed.

When previewing, I usually copy the code before hitting "Preview Post" and then paste it the box before trying to make my changes. Editing's a bit more of a pain, though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-07-05, 05:47 PM
Editing's a bit more of a pain, though.

Yup, especially when working with tables. :smallyuk: