PDA

View Full Version : who's excellent at creating warforged

sleepybob
2008-07-03, 03:16 PM
ok, basicly, my DM is making a bran new campaign, in eberon, i think...

he wants me to play a big dumb warforged, like lenny in "of mice and men" or grundy from "justice leuge".

in addition to him being dumb, he was built primarily to be a mage slayer. the dm is going to give me some type of special armor and i dont know what it is yet.

what i guess i am asking for is what kind of class would power me up the most?

then what feats should i add to it.

the dm assumes that i will be a fighter. i dont mind and dont care either way. i have made two of my own characters before and they all seem to lack in abilities compared to the people i game with, which have been gaming since first edition.

if anybody can come up with a good combo for me to be THE TANK... that would be great.

thanks,
Sleepybob-:smallsmile:

Baxbart
2008-07-04, 08:29 AM
I'm currently away from my books... and the character sheet in question... but I have a big dumb Warforged sitting around somewhere who is practically unstoppable (currently ECL14 or 15, iirc).

Lemme see; he was more of an exercise in breaking the rules than anything else - and he's only ever been used as a theoretical character and a threat against any misbehaving PCs in my games.

I think I can remember the build. Something along the lines of Half-Dragon (Red) Warforged Barbarian (Spirit Lion Totem) 2/Fighter 2/Warblade 3/Warforged Juggernaut 5.... making him close to immune against almost all save or die/save or suck effects and the like. He doesn't age, sleep, eat, drink or tire... ever.

Then I stuck on top of that the Fast Healing draconic feat, the leap/attack shock trooper feat tree (with a Goliath Greathammer) and managed to shove his jump check into the mid 40s with some Tome of Battle help and some items. He can deal out over 1000 damage on a charge without too much trouble.

But... thats fairly irrelevant, since this thread should probably be a request in the general d20 gaming forums rather than homebrew.

Faithless
2008-07-04, 11:22 AM
Hey,

What sourcebooks do you have access to?

Usually when you create a specialized melee character you have to ask yourself what do you want to focus on.

AC
Health
Damage

In my opinion you can usually choose 2 of those and pursue them well.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-04, 12:04 PM
I hear House Cannith is pretty good at making warforged.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-04, 02:45 PM
I hear House Cannith is pretty good at making warforged.

I was hoping something like this would come up.

Also, I think it would be amusing to play a Big Dumb Warforged Paladin. I don't think it's actually viable, just amusing.

Te'Shen
2008-07-04, 10:55 PM
A warforged paladin with one or two of the substitution features from races of eberron and/or a few levels in the construct prc they have in the Eberron campaign setting could be nifty... but I don't really think he would qualify as a caster killer.

If you're dm waves favored class penalties, I think monk 2/society mind 18 with the tashalatora feat could work rather well... wait, they get a wisdom penalty... make that monk 2/shaper 18 with kung fu genius and tashalatora feats.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-07-05, 01:29 AM
Feats:

Mage Slayer (Complete Arcane, p81): Basically, you gain a minor bonus to Will saves...AND NO CASTER YOU THREATEN CAN CAST DEFENSIVELY.

Working with a Warforged, I'd suggest doing the following: Crusader 8/Warblade 1/Crusader 9. The Warblade level is only in there so you can get Iron Heart Surge for when you DO fail a save against a spell effect, and you can have it ready whenever (as opposed to having it granted via Crusader and two feats). Two good saves and the ability to re-roll a saving throw won't hurt either.

Pick up Island of Blades and, if you can swing a high enough intelligence (I don't know...maybe he acts stupider than he is?) you'll want Improved Trip, as then once you're next to a caster they either draw an AoO, fall, and draw an attack or they attempt to retreat, draw an AoO due to Island of Blades, fall, and draw an attack.

Alternatively, a spike chain works wonders, but that's a little cheesy (due to the inherent cheese of the spiked chain).

DiscipleofBob
2008-07-05, 01:34 AM
Occult Slayer from Complete Arcane (I think) might be a valid option. Probably not as good as some of the optimizers on this forum could suggest, but still an option.

kwanzaabot
2008-07-05, 06:58 AM
Your DM is making you play a Warforged? A big, dumb one?

Aren't the players supposed to decide what their characters are?

Bago!!!
2008-07-05, 07:45 AM
I agree with Kwanzaabot. No DM can make you play any character they really want. Its just a form of railroading, and if a DM railroads too much, then there will be hell to pay (Done it before, it ruined my entire campeign!). I would suggest you talk to your DM about playing something you really want to play.

If you (or rather the DM) still want to play the game as a warforge. Then I would suggest a few levels in Occult Slayer and maybe Warforged Juggernaut. Occult Slayer gives you very neat bonus' against spell casters. The Juggernaut will turn you into a construct, making you immune to mind affecting spells. As for base classes... Paladins could work, Crusaders I think may work, A Fighter and chain combination with that mage slayer feat could do help. Heck, I would go for a Warblade/Fighter with mage slayer feats (like the ones that let you hit past magical concealment), Chain weapon as a primary weapon, with trip and disarm feats. Maybe combat reflexes. Mithril body could do wonders, gives you alot of AC. This build (if you can call this jumble of meaningless sentances) basically lets you have great AC, good hit points, reach and a reserve of Attacks of Oppertunity, immunities, and tripping the casters is just plain fun :smallsmile:. I think at this point I am rabling, so I'll just leave it at that. Good luck to you.

PS: Might I suggest a Permanent Enlarge Person spell if you really want to get tripping? :smallamused:

DiscipleofBob
2008-07-05, 09:57 AM
I agree with Kwanzaabot. No DM can make you play any character they really want. Its just a form of railroading, and if a DM railroads too much, then there will be hell to pay (Done it before, it ruined my entire campeign!). I would suggest you talk to your DM about playing something you really want to play.

If you (or rather the DM) still want to play the game as a warforge. Then I would suggest a few levels in Occult Slayer and maybe Warforged Juggernaut. Occult Slayer gives you very neat bonus' against spell casters. The Juggernaut will turn you into a construct, making you immune to mind affecting spells. As for base classes... Paladins could work, Crusaders I think may work, A Fighter and chain combination with that mage slayer feat could do help. Heck, I would go for a Warblade/Fighter with mage slayer feats (like the ones that let you hit past magical concealment), Chain weapon as a primary weapon, with trip and disarm feats. Maybe combat reflexes. Mithril body could do wonders, gives you alot of AC. This build (if you can call this jumble of meaningless sentances) basically lets you have great AC, good hit points, reach and a reserve of Attacks of Oppertunity, immunities, and tripping the casters is just plain fun :smallsmile:. I think at this point I am rabling, so I'll just leave it at that. Good luck to you.

PS: Might I suggest a Permanent Enlarge Person spell if you really want to get tripping? :smallamused:

Very much seconded. If a Permanent Enlarge Person spell isn't available, however, you can get a Belt of Enlarge Person from the Magic Item Compendium. Not as good, but a little easier to manage. Though it would be amusing to see a warforged destroy EVERY wall or doorway he came across because he couldn't get through the door.

chiasaur11
2008-07-05, 12:56 PM

Agreed.
On the other hand...

Fill out an envelope with "Despite what was told to you at the beginning of the game, my warforged is an int 16 LE (class). Tell your DM to open it just after you backstab the party and take over the whatever. That advice comes from Aaron Williams's full frontal nerdity. (admittedly, it was a joke there, but...)

sleepybob
2008-07-06, 04:46 AM

ok, i have only played two or three other games... i have only played 3.5 the other players i play with have been with DND since vol. one.

i left it up to him to give me a character that would suit the environment of the game well.

so he said i should try warforged. i usually play the sneaky guy that grabs all the treasure and helps battles out in minor ways with my magic items.

this time i wanted to be the guy that smashes everything to bits. and on top of that it would help to just smash things because they were shiny, not because they were evil. so im playing a big dumb warforged.:smallsmile:

sleepybob
2008-07-06, 04:49 AM
Very much seconded. If a Permanent Enlarge Person spell isn't available, however, you can get a Belt of Enlarge Person from the Magic Item Compendium. Not as good, but a little easier to manage. Though it would be amusing to see a warforged destroy EVERY wall or doorway he came across because he couldn't get through the door.

that is good. enlarge person. smash walls. thats the kind of thing im looking for in a big dumb warforged.

sleepybob
2008-07-06, 05:03 AM
ok, basicly, my DM is making a bran new campaign, in eberon

he wants me to play a big dumb warforged, like lenny in "of mice and men" or grundy from "justice leuge".

thanks,
Sleepybob-:smallsmile:

ok, i dont have my sheet on me. i left it at my dms house.

anyways... i picked warforged.
i start off on lev. three.
he gave me starting armor that cannot be taken off (because it is part of my body) that is a plus three instead of a two. and it has runes on it that allow me to counterspell once per day ANY spell. then later he will upgrade it.

uh, he gave me a plus one bastard sword arm blade that is mage bane, ignoring the fact that im not proficient with that kind of weapon.

i think i got 17 strength and from the list it goes down 13, 12, 11, 11, and 11... for being a warforged i get plus two con to those scores... minus two for wisdom and intelegence or charisma... something like that. i get twenty eight hp to start with.

im a fighter class. at third lev. we figured i should have four feats by now. first feat being my special armor. second was improved grapple, third improved unarmed combat, and fourth being combat reflexes, i think.

i put six ranks in intimidate and three in spot and one in listen i think plus one each for knowlege arcana and maybe knowlege nature. i speak common and draconic.

thats about all i can remember.

according to players handbook two, i can retrain feats and skills and classes, so its not a big deal if you guys suggest i go somewhere else with this warforged. he did specify that it has to be a DTWENTY book that i get my modifications out of...

sleepybob
2008-07-07, 01:33 AM
Hey,

What sourcebooks do you have access to?

Usually when you create a specialized melee character you have to ask yourself what do you want to focus on.

AC
Health
Damage

In my opinion you can usually choose 2 of those and pursue them well.

i pretty much have access to any book. i get them via pdf file for free.

Icewalker
2008-07-07, 02:36 AM
Actually, you can't cast enlarge person on a warforged, I believe. They are constructs rather than humanoids, so they don't qualify for the spell. :smallfrown: