PDA

View Full Version : Orcs and Half-Orcs

brian c
2008-07-03, 07:03 PM
Hey, I know this is long and there's a lot of information, but I'd really appreciate any feedback or comments, even if you just skim it over and give me a general impression

Okay, another pair of races re-done for my campaign setting. This is all 3.5, related stuff is in my sig, feel free to use anything, etc.

Comments would be greatly appreciated; if you like these, please check out my other stuff, particularly the other races.

Orcs

Personality: Orcish society has barely any concept of etiquette or hygiene, which predictably leads to poor interactions with other races. Orcs are also genetically predisposed to have short tempers, though some display a degree of control. Orcs rarely display much patience or willingness to compromise, and will quickly resort to violence in a heated situation.

Physical Description: The average adult male orc stands about 6 to 7 feet tall and weighs 200-300 pounds. Orcs tend to be a bit taller than humans and much more muscular. Females are generally smaller, with average height around 5'10". Orc skin color ranges from yellow-brown to dark green or sometimes even rust-colored red, while hair color is almost always black or dark brown. Most orcs have relatively little body and facial hair, but keep the hair on their heads long and unkempt. To some degree, all orcs bear a resemblance to elves. Orcish clothing is mostly made from animal pelts, fur and leather, with natural colors. Bone and gem jewelry are popular among some orcs, while the majority have noticeable tattoos or ritual scarring. Both male and female orcs rarely wear shirts, as their preferred climate is warm and the concept of indecency is mostly foreign.

Relations: Orcs do not get along well with others, or even with themselves. Hostility with elves is longstanding, and the ordered life and moral codes of dwarves, gnomes and Rabelian humans also lead to poor relationships with orcish tribes. Baalite humans and giants share the orcish values of freedom, though both tend to be less bloodthirsty. In the past, orcs commanded and in some cases enslaved goblinoids; this relationship persists in some cases, but orcs and freed goblins share mutual hatred.

Alignment: Orcs are inherently chaotic and evil. Moral conduct is limited to only the most basic of ideals, or is nonexistent. A good-aligned orc is almost impossible to find; a lawful one completely impossible.

Orc Lands: Most orcs are nomads, wandering plains, tundra and deserts following herds of livestock. The remainder have built encampments in similar areas, or live in natural caves. There is no united government for any majority of orcs, but instead dozens of warring chieftains with contradictory or unrelated goals.

Religion: Most orcs worship their own god Srohlaz, but also pay respects to Kifan. A small but devoted minority follows Kashil; these tribes tend to be more civilized and less violent than their brethren.

Language: All orcs speak Orc, and most also speak Common. Most know at least a few phrases of Infernal, and those who live with goblins also speak that language. Other languages spoken by orcs include Giant, Draconic, and rarely Dwarven and Halfling.

Names: Similar to their language in general, Orcish names are simple and guttural, using the letters R, K, G and Z with greater frequency than other languages. Most orcs go by only one name; this may be a birth name such as Kazga or Rohklath, or a given nickname or title such as "Throatpuncher" or "Chief".

Adventurers: Orcs place great value on martial accomplishments, so it is not at all uncommon for young adults to spend some time venturing out into the world and facing challenges. Most orc adventurers are barbarians, rogues or rangers, but some have the diligence for a more structured training as a fighter. There are also orcs who adventure as mystics of Srohlaz or as druids. It is rare for an orc to have any dragonblood, but some have the fiendish heritage required to practice magic as warlocks.

Type: An Orc is a Humanoid with the Orc subtype.
Alignment: Almost always Chaotic, tends toward Evil.
Abilities: +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -4 Charisma.
Size: Orcs are medium sized, but they have a powerful build. As such, they count as Large sized for beneficial effects such as using larger weapons and size bonuses for grappling, bullrushing and tripping, but as Medium sized otherwise.
Racial Bonuses: +1 Natural Armor, Darkvision 60ft, +2 to Survival checks.
Rage: Orcs can Rage, as per the Barbarian class ability. This ability is usable once per day, but stacks with any uses of Rage that the Orc has from the Barbarian class or other sources. In addition, when determining a character's access to Mighty Rage, Greater Rage etc, an Orc's level counts as one higher than it actually is.
Languages: Common, Orc. Bonus Languages: Goblin, Terran, Undercommon, Sylvan.
Level Adjustment: +1

brian c
2008-07-03, 07:09 PM
Half-Orcs

Personality: Half-orcs have a wide range of personas, depending mostly upon which race they are brought up with. However, many half-breeds are picked on in any society. This could lead to a reserved personality, or to bullying and intimidation. Half-orcs are generally very tolerant of other races though, as they understand what it's like to be different.

Physical Description: Half-orcs can sometimes pass as exceptionally big and strong humans, or as smallish orcs. They range in height from about 5'6" to 6'6", and are more muscular than humans or elves but not as stocky as orcs. Their skin is usually tan or brown, sometimes tinged with green or red. Half-orc fashions depend primarily on where they are raised, but they tend to follow the orcish preference for natural, minimal clothing; many also sport orcish tattoos.

Relations: Half-orcs are accepted by most orcs, though orc-elf crossbreeds are often treated with distrust. Wild Baalite humans also tolerate half-orcs, but among all other races they face widespread legal and illegal discrimination.

Alignment: Half-orcs favor chaos over law, distrusting authority and protecting personal freedoms. There is no general tendency towards Good or Evil, though a half-orc raised among orcs is more likely to be evil.

Half-Orc Lands: There is no such thing as a half-orc country, though on the borders between Orcish tribes and human lands many cities have sizable halfbreed minorities.

Religion: Religious beliefs and practices vary widely among half-orcs, more so than with any race. Some follow the orcish god Srohlaz, some the demon god Kifan, others worship Baal, Kashil or Ben Sun. It has been said that no god can claim to represent half-orcs, since each deity has at least some worshippers, even Leyanar.

Language: Half-orcs speak common, and most also speak at least some Orc. For other languages, half-orcs speak whatever is spoken among the society of their upbringing.

Names: Half-orcs are named according to Orcish or Baalite custom. Many descriptive names will mention, directly or indirectly, the individual's racial background.

Adventurers: Half-orcs make natural adventurers as they fight back against discrimination and mentally come to grips with their parentage. They are skilled martial combatants, but many seek a more spiritual and cerebral path as mystics, druids, bards or wizards.

Half-Orcs gain the following abilities and characteristics in addition to those of their other half. If the Half-Orc is also Half-Human, they do not get a bonus feat or bonus skillpoints each level, but do gain 4 bonus skillpoints at 1st level.

(In simpler terms, this is pretty much a template for Humans and Elves. You have to already have a race, then you can become a Half-Orc)

Type: A Half-Orc is a Humanoid with the Orc subtype and the Human or Elf subtype. He counts as an Orc and as a Human or Elf when determining effects based on race.
Alignment: Almost always Chaotic, tends slightly toward evil.
Abilities: +2 Strength, -2 Charisma.
Size: Half-Orcs are medium sized. They do not gain the benefits of a Powerful Build.
Racial Bonuses: Darkvision 60ft, +2 to survival checks.
Languages: Common, Orc, (Elven if parent was Elf). Bonus Languages: Goblin, Terran, Undercommon, Sylvan.

brian c
2008-07-03, 09:59 PM
le bump, with an added plea for comments at the start of first post

Lorien077
2008-07-03, 10:54 PM
I really like what you did with half-orcs; that needed to be a template for a long time. And nice fluff all around, though admittedly I'm a bit sad about orcs being 99% evil.

Silence
2008-07-03, 11:42 PM
It annoys me that the PR department had to nuke the race. Seriously, just let the game be.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Wizards eliminated the half orc race because it implied a rape happened. Not good for the parents buying the game for their kiddies.

Back on subject, great work. Thorough, balanced, good stuff.

brian c
2008-07-03, 11:50 PM
I really like what you did with half-orcs; that needed to be a template for a long time. And nice fluff all around, though admittedly I'm a bit sad about orcs being 99% evil.

The whole orcs being evil thing is just a necessary effect of the setting; they were created by a demon god (based on elves, a la LOTR a little). Half-orcs are still allowed to be good though.

And on the subject of how half-orcs came to be, a lot of them were probably, shall we say, unintended, but there are also evil humans in the world that might have special certain feelings toward orcs.