PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber Form Feats and Jedi Duelist [Star Wars SAGA]

ZeroNumerous
2008-07-03, 07:58 PM
These are just the Lightsaber Forms from the Jedi Knight prestige class put into feats.

Lightsaber Form Feats
To use a Form Feat, you must spend a single move action to initiate the feat. Once initiated, you need not continue spending move actions to use the feat. You may only have one Form feat active at a time. You may only initiate one Form feat per round. You may stop using a Form feat as a free action.

Form 0: "Form Zero"
You understand the basics of when and where to use your lightsaber.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13. Weapon Proficiency(Lightsaber).
Benefits: You gain an Insight bonus equal to 1/2 your class level on Perception checks to avoid surprise, sense deception, and sense influence.
Penalties: This feat can only be used if your lightsaber is not ignited.

Form I: Shii-Cho
You understand the basics of lightsaber combat.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13. Dexterity 13. Weapon Proficiency(Lightsaber)
Benefits: Whenever you use the Deflect or Block talents, you only take a -2 penalty for every previous Block or Deflect attempt made this round. You gain a +1 bonus to your Reflex Defense per opponent that threatens you.

Form II: Makashi
You use a specialized form designed to duel an opponent rather than kill through brute force.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13. Form I: Shii-Cho. Dexterity 15. Weapon Proficiency(Lightsaber)
Benefits: Whenever you attack an opponent wielding a lightsaber, you may add your Dexterity modifier to your damage roll(as well as your Strength modifier). You gain an insight bonus equal to 1/2 your class level to attacks against a lightsaber-wielding opponent.
Penalties: You gain no benefit from using your lightsaber two-handed. You take a penalty equal to your opponent's Strength modifier to your Reflex Defense.

Form III: Soresu
You use a specialized form designed to defend yourself against an opponent and wait for the perfect opportunity to strike.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13. Form I: Shii-Cho. Dexterity 13. Level 6. Weapon Proficiency(Lightsaber)
Benefits: You gain a bonus to your Reflex Defense equal to your Wisdom Modifier. You may, as a swift action, reduce your threaten range to your own square. If you do, then you may double the bonus you receive from this feat. You gain an insight bonus equal to your Wisdom modifier whenever you use the Deflect talent.
Penalties: You take a penalty on your attack rolls equal to the bonus you gain from this feat. You cannot redirect blaster bolts to strike your opponent when in this Form.

Form IV: Ataru
You use a specialized form designed for acrobatic combat and employ light touches to damage your opponent.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13. Form I: Shii-Cho. Dexterity 15. Weapon Proficiency(Lightsaber)
Benefits: As a swift action, you may make a Jump or Acrobatics check versus your opponent's Will Defense. If you succeed, then your opponent is considered flat-footed for your attack.
Penalties: You must move atleast five-feet as part of your attack. If you cannot move and then attack your opponent, then you may not use this feat.

Form V: Shien/Djem So
You use a specialized form to defend while attacking, and can counterattack with alot more strength than normal Jedi.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13. Form I: Shii-Cho. Strength 15. Weapon Proficiency(Lightsaber)
Benefits: Whenever you redirect a deflected blaster bolt, you gain an insight bonus equal to 1/2 your class level on your ranged attack roll. Whenever you are successfully hit by a melee attack, you may spend a Force Point to immediately counterattack. You gain an insight bonus equal to 1/2 your character level on damage rolls whenever you counterattack.
Penalties: You run the risk of falling to the Dark Side through this style. Whenever you make a counterattack with Djem So, the GM makes a Dark Side check of 1d20+Your Level. If the check exceeds your Will Defense, then you must increase your Dark Side score by 1.

Form VI: Niman
You use a very general form that covers all the bases. This is the "jack-of-all-trades" style of lightsaber combat.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13. Form I: Shii-Cho. Weapon Proficiency(Lightsaber)
Benefits: You gain a +1 bonus to Reflex, Will, and Fortitude Defense. You also gain an insight bonus to attack rolls equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Form VII: Juyo
You use a specialized form that channels your anger into your strikes, but you toe the edge using this style.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13. Form I: Shii-Cho. Dexterity 17. Weapon Proficiency(Lightsaber)
Benefits: You gain an insight bonus equal to your level on attack rolls. You gain an insight bonus equal to your level up to a maximum equal to your Wisdom score on your Reflex Defense, Acrobatic checks, and Jump checks.
Penalties: You run the risk of falling to the Dark Side through this style. Whenever you attack with Juyo, the GM makes a Dark Side check of 1d20+10+Your Level. If the check exceeds your Will Defense, then you must increase your Dark Side score by 1.

Form VIII: Jar'Kai
You use a specialized form based around wielding two lightsabers in combat. You can defend and attack with exceptional skill.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13. Form I: Shii-Cho. Form VI: Niman. Weapon Proficiency(Lightsaber). Dual Weapon Mastery I.
Benefits: You gain an insight bonus on your Reflex Defense. The bonus is equal to 1/2 your level, but cannot exceed your Dexterity modifier.
Penalties: You must extend your focus to use two lightsabers efficiently. You take a -2 penalty to attacks in addition to the normal Dual-Wielding penalties.

Jedi Duelist

Simply reflavor the Jedi Knight prestige class, remove the Form Style Talents and add this in their place.

Combat Focus Talent Tree
Defensive Fighter: As a free action activated whenever you attack, you may take a penalty on attack rolls up to your level. You gain an insight bonus to Reflex Defense equal to the penalty. The penalty and bonus last only for one round.

Intuitive Fighter: Choose one opponent. You may make a Perception check versus your opponent's Will Defense as a free action. If you succeed, you gain an insight bonus equal to 1/2 your level on the first attack you make against your chosen opponent. This bonus disappears in three rounds if you do not attack. You may use this ability against the same opponent as many times as necessary, but insight bonuses do not stack.
Requirements: Defensive Fighter.

Attack and Away: Whenever you make a successful melee attack against an opponent and before you roll damage, you may opt to deal only 1/2 the damage. If you choose to do so, then you may immediately push your opponent back with your attack. Your opponent moves five-feet in any direction you choose, except toward you.
Requirements: Intuitive Fighter.

Overcome Limitation: You may negate the penalty of using a Form feat by expending a Force Point. This effect only works for a single round.
Requirements: Intuitive Fighter.

Form Mastery: Choose a single Form feat that you know. You may use this Form without penalty. Once selected, your chosen Form cannot change.
Requirements: Overcome Limitation. Jedi Duelist Level 10.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-07-03, 11:07 PM
Hrm...very interesting overall. I have minimal experience with SAGA, but I like these forms. Question, though: why the risk of falling to the Dark Side when using Form V?

Also, what's with the names?

Ceiling009
2008-07-03, 11:51 PM
Form VII channels the dark side when you use it, according to the wiki entries about it, only three people have ever mastered it, and two fell to the dark side. The names are also the "real" names per se...

I have no idea why Form V illicits dark side points...

Zeta Kai
2008-07-04, 01:08 AM
Also, what's with the names?

I believe this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightsaber#Seven_forms_of_lightsaber_combat) should explain sufficiently.

Caewil
2008-07-04, 02:17 AM
Why feats? The talent system seems to work perfectly. Sith characters can also get lightsaber forms thanks to the Stolen Form talent in Threats of the Galaxy. Implementing this is unnecessary and makes access to lightsaber forms too easy and far too feat intensive. Anyway, what else are Jedi Knights going to spend their talents on? Greater Weapon Focus (lightsabers)? Severing Strike?

Amiria
2008-07-04, 02:34 AM
I concur, with ^, I don't see a necessity to transform the forms into feats. Jedi are already starved for feats, there are so many important for them (Force Training x2 or x3, Weapon Finesse (most Jedi build I've seen placed Dex high over Str), other combat feats) that this would only aggravate the situation.

Transforming the Multiattack talents into feats would make more sense. I've read the Jedi Counseling article with their reasoning why they didn't do it (Dual Weapon Proficiency vs. Multiattack), but it failed to convince me.

ZeroNumerous
2008-07-04, 07:00 PM
Implementing this is unnecessary and makes access to lightsaber forms too easy and far too feat intensive.

A single feat to get your preferred form isn't a huge drop in the bucket. As for what Jedi Knights would spend talents on, I had designed a set of talents to replace the Form Feats and renamed the prestige class to Jedi Duelist. But that is homebrew specific to my campaign.

Question, though: why the risk of falling to the Dark Side when using Form V?

"Peace through superior firepower" - The maxim of Form V. Ergo, I introduced the possibility of dark side points from using it. Though the risk is much lower than Form VII.

Spiryt
2008-07-04, 07:07 PM
Those are cool. But since I don't know anything abou Star Wars Saga, I wonder if they would work in normal D&D... Few changes, like Reflex Defense ---> Reflex Save and tada. Some are too powerful though (Juyo)

Instead of Lightsaber there could be just martial weapons...

ZeroNumerous
2008-07-04, 07:20 PM
Those are cool. But since I don't know anything abou Star Wars Saga, I wonder if they would work in normal D&D... Few changes, like Reflex Defense ---> Reflex Save and tada. Some are too powerful though (Juyo)

Instead of Lightsaber there could be just martial weapons...

You could convert it to 4e pretty directly, except Form V and VII, as they would need new penalties.