PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcaster using Sorcerer casting progression as a Houserule...

Maerok
2008-07-03, 08:23 PM
In one of the many different ways people try to fix the shadowcaster, would axing the uses per mystery system in favor of Sorcerer type progression (spontaneous spell slots) look like it would improve the class's accessibility? I am considering doing this in a campaign setting.

Glyphic
2008-07-03, 08:30 PM
There's been a few proposed ways of 'fixing' shadowcasters..

you'll first want to look at Project shadow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44816), which aims to make the warlock correlation; if you give a great idead enough support, it will take off.

Fax (oh, Fax, where art thou!) proposed a tome of battle-esque recover method. You spend a full round action to recover all mysteries of a certain level or path (fundamentals, apprentice, master..), except those that are still in effect.

Edit: if Elsa dies, can I play a shadowcaster? I loves them..

Maerok
2008-07-03, 08:44 PM
:smalleek:

Well I've been working on a desert campaign setting (on a far greater scale than the one we're in; it's like a playtest and I'm passing ideas back and forth between the two).

Shadowcasters are going to be a rising power in the one I'm working on, and since the desert is not compatible with a bunch of evil dudes who like to hang out in the shade a lot, they're committed to deicide to allow themselves to thrive. At least that is how it stands for now. I want each caster to have their own flavor so either wizard or sorcerer get axed; and Clerics will be Cloistered.

I've seen Fax's suggestion but he'll need to work his persuasion to make me see that as balanced. But they have less versatility than Sorc, so just maybe...

I also want to include Truenamers... Hmm, nuff said on the work there...

RTGoodman
2008-07-03, 08:46 PM
Yeah, as Glyphic says, Fax (among others) talked about a mysteries per encounter system. I don't know if anyone did a full write-up, but it shouldn't be that hard.

Also, I can't seem to find it, but over on the ENWorld forums the designer of the class (Ari Marmell, a.k.a. Mouseferatu [sp?]) posted his own "official unofficial" Shadowcaster fix. You can probably find it with Google with a little bit of work.

Maerok
2008-07-03, 08:48 PM
I have every Shadowcaster fix of merit on tap.. Which is best is undecided for me. Fax's might work best as it is simple and reasonable; I'd like to see their casting use one attribute, so maybe just Cha. Sorc is removed, and Wizards must must specialize.