PDA

View Full Version : Question for tome of battle {B of 9 swords}

AjaxTorbin
2008-07-03, 10:44 PM
now i just got this book and there i somthing i need clarified, i quested Wizards but they had nothing on their site. directly answering this.

let's say i have a swordsage, level 2. i know 7 maneuvers and can ready 4 of them,
now lets say i have burning blade, wind strike, destracting strike, and clinging shadow strike readied.
can i use, shadow strike, on round one, burning blade round two, and then use shadow strike again on round 3? as long as i don't use more than 4 in one encounter?
basicly, is a swordsage 'maneuvers readied' like a sorcerer's spell casting, or a wizards?

if it is like a wizard, can i 'prepare' the same maneuver multiple times? like burning blade, burning blade, burning blade and wind strike?

Chronicled
2008-07-03, 10:47 PM
It's like a wizard's casting, and you can't ready more than one copy of any maneuver. You can use more than one maneuver in a round, if one of them is a swift or immediate action.

AjaxTorbin
2008-07-03, 11:10 PM
gotcha. thanks.

Draz74
2008-07-03, 11:17 PM
But at least you can change it anytime you have 5 minutes to spare (IIRC), rather than once/day like a Wizard.

Vortling
2008-07-03, 11:46 PM
But at least you can change it anytime you have 5 minutes to spare (IIRC), rather than once/day like a Wizard.
Or six seconds to spare if you take the adaptive style feat.

Chronicled
2008-07-03, 11:52 PM
Or six seconds to spare if you take the adaptive style feat.

This also allows you to use the same maneuver two times (or more, though it's unlikely that you'll spend two full round actions in one fight just recharging) in one encounter. When you reselect your maneuvers, all expended ones that you select are refreshed and able to be used again--you actually don't even have to change your list of readied maneuvers at all.

Adaptive Style is the "must have" feat for a Swordsage, and Extra Readied Maneuver is worth its weight in gold pieces.

Draz74
2008-07-04, 12:11 AM
Adaptive Style is the "must have" feat for a Swordsage, and Extra Readied Maneuver is worth its weight in gold pieces.

*Gets greedy look in eyes* How much does a feat weigh?

I love Adaptive Style for a Swordsage myself, but I've heard a few people say that they've played Swordsages very effectively without it.

Meat Shield
2008-07-04, 12:51 AM
*Gets greedy look in eyes* How much does a feat weigh?

I love Adaptive Style for a Swordsage myself, but I've heard a few people say that they've played Swordsages very effectively without it.

I think that is possible, if you are very wise and lucky in your maneuver selections and readied choices. Most combats I have been in run about five rounds, so if you have enough to go the distance there, you could be good to go.

But it certainly is easier to play swordsage with adaptive style.

Chronos
2008-07-04, 01:02 AM
My impression is that how important Adaptive Style is depends on how fast you expect to burn through your maneuvers. If other aspects of your build favor full attacks, then you'll mostly just be using your maneuvers for boosts, and you probably won't run out of them in a single encounter. If you're built around strikes, though, you'll probably be using two maneuvers per round, in which case there is a real chance of running out (or at least running out of the particular ones you want to use), so Adaptive Style becomes much more useful.

Chronicled
2008-07-04, 01:13 AM
Just being able to use some of the utility maneuvers (teleporting, jumping, etc) once every 12 seconds can be huge. A Swordsage in a campaign I ran managed to get out of more non-combat traps and annoyances this way (between that, general Swordsage survivability, and being a race that didn't need to breathe, it was incredibly difficult to get him in a worrisome situation that wouldn't kill the rest of the party).

I agree that you could get by without it, but I wouldn't recommend doing so to a first-time Swordsage.