PDA

View Full Version : Have you fed the hungry today?

Shadow
2008-07-04, 02:21 AM
I've had that link in my sig for a long time. I click it every single day.

I was just wondering how many others even think about it, let alone actually click it.

So if you haven't yet, click it now!
Then do it again tomorrow!

Thank you.

About the Animal Rescue SiteThe Animal Rescue Site focuses the power of the Internet on a specific need — providing food for some of the 27 million unwanted animals given to shelters in the U.S. every year. Over 10 million animals are put to death every year in the U.S. alone because they are abandoned and unwanted.

Each click on the purple "Click Here to Give - it's FREE" button at The Animal Rescue Site provides food and care for a rescued animal living in a shelter or sanctuary. Funding for food and care is paid by site sponsors and distributed to animals in need at the Fund for Animals' renowned animal sanctuaries (including Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch in Texas and the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in California), pet shelters supported by the Petfinder Foundation , North Shore Animal League , and other worthy animal care facilities supported by the GreaterGood.org foundation.

100% of sponsor advertising fees goes to our charitable partners.
About the Hunger SiteThe Hunger Site was founded to focus the power of the Internet on a specific humanitarian need: the eradication of world hunger. Since its launch in June 1999, the site has established itself as a leader in online activism, helping to feed the world's hungry. On average, over 220,000 individuals from around the world visit the site each day to click the yellow "Click Here to Give - it's FREE" button. To date, more than 300 million visitors have given more than 500 million cups of staple food.

The staple food funded by clicks at The Hunger Site is paid for by site sponsors and distributed to those in need by Mercy Corps and America's Second Harvest . 100% of sponsor advertising fees goes to our charitable partners.Funds are split between these organizations and go to the aid of hungry people in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.

All of us here at The Hunger Site are also deeply moved by the humanitarian crisis in Darfur .

Hunger: Do You Know The Facts?

It is estimated that one billion people in the world suffer from hunger and malnutrition. That's roughly 100 times as many as those who actually die from these causes each year.

About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. This is down from 35,000 ten years ago, and 41,000 twenty years ago. Three-fourths of the deaths are children under the age of five.

Famine and wars cause about 10% of hunger deaths, although these tend to be the ones you hear about most often. The majority of hunger deaths are caused by chronic malnutrition. Families facing extreme poverty are simply unable to get enough food to eat.

The Hunger Site began on June 1, 1999. In 1999, a year marked by good economic news, 31 million Americans were food insecure, meaning they were either hungry or unsure of where their next meal would come from. Of these Americans, 12 million were children.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-07-04, 02:36 AM
Well, Shadow, I feed a hungry animal every day.

You see, when I got my kitty, Nike, she was along in a cage at PetsMart. I'd been looking at the kittens, thinking how adorable they are, and was leaning toward getting one of them. Then I saw this two-year-old cat, declawed (as would be a necessity for a diabetic not wanting his legs used as scratching posts) and fixed (as would be a wise decision for an indoor cat). What's more, she'd been given to PetsMart by an organization called "Arizona Cat Rescue."

Knowing older cats would likely not be taken in as easily as the kittens, I took a chance and brought her home. She has been a furry little blessing for me, giving me cause to get out of bed on days when I'd rather not face the world. Who will feed her if I refuse to face the day?

Not only fed, but rescued. That's my Nike. :smallsmile:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-04, 02:38 AM
Whever I see your sig shadow, I do.

Zakama
2008-07-04, 03:57 AM
Cool, but I'd rather feed hunger people.

Also reminds me that I have to go feed my lizard...

Serpentine
2008-07-04, 04:36 AM
Why yes, yes I have. On time and everything :smallsmile:

Those sorts of things always seem pretty suspect to me, but looking at it I can see how it could legitimately work. I'll keep more of an eye out for it.

Project_Mayhem
2008-07-04, 05:55 AM
Yes, of course. Me.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-07-04, 05:59 AM
*added to bookmarks toolbar*

I will do from now on :smallsmile:

dish
2008-07-04, 09:43 AM
I fed 17 Shanghainese street cats, one dog, two rabbits and a guinea pig.

It's important to support animal rescue. Shanghai doesn't have a single animal rescue shelter, which is something I would like to see change. However, I can understand those who believe that human hunger and issues like child trafficking should be dealt with first.

Mauve Shirt
2008-07-04, 09:56 AM
I fed a hungry dog and a hungry parrot today.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-04, 10:01 AM
I fed my turtle last night... but I don't think he was very hungry.

Shadow
2008-07-04, 10:46 AM
Cool, but I'd rather feed hunger people.
I can understand those who believe that human hunger and issues like child trafficking should be dealt with first.It's something I stumbled across a while back.
Find me a link that feeds the homeless, or the less than fortunate, and I'll more than gladly add that to my sig too!

In the mean time, click-ward ho!

edit:
Having never actually noticed it before, there's a link on that page.
Click 'em both!

@v: That's just mean, dude. Mean.

Victor Thorian
2008-07-04, 10:54 AM
Why don't you just let them die?

Ilena
2008-07-04, 11:48 AM
Why don't you just let them die?

Dude im not even that cold, back a few years ago i wasent .. and that was when if a human died, meh theres 6 billion more ofum .. (again that was a few years ago) even today i would save humans last in a case of a burning building (unless it was a child, thats differnt) but to say that of a creature who is in that situation because of dirrect human interference? no thanks, that additude is why i prefer to spend my time with horses,

Collin152
2008-07-04, 11:54 AM
I think I'd feed my hungry self before I'd feed a hungry animal.
I mean, what has that animal done for me?
Meanwhile, what have I doen for me?
Hmm...
Well, nobody gets fed, looks like.

Victor Thorian
2008-07-04, 12:07 PM
exactly. if you want to do some good for the universe, go do something for yourself first. learn german, do bodybuilding, read a book. spend your resources on something you will get to see advantages of.

Collin152
2008-07-04, 12:10 PM
exactly. if you want to do some good for the universe, go do something for yourself first. learn german, do bodybuilding, read a book. spend your resources on something you will get to see advantages of.

German? Bodybuilding?!
You don't know me at all. I refuse to take any of your advice.
Though I might read a book anyways.

Shadow
2008-07-04, 12:13 PM
spend your resources on something you will get to see advantages of.
No one's talking about spending your resources.
We're talking about getting big companies to spend their resources, as they've agreed to do, if we but click a simple link.

Why the negativity?

Trog
2008-07-04, 12:13 PM
Yup. Now I have. Never noticed the link in your sig before. Thanks for pointing that out. I tend to gloss over sigs, and sometimes turn them off altogether if I am in the mood.

Oooo! Saves the rainforest clicky thing *clicks*

Oooo! Literacy clicky thing *clicks*

Oooo! Saves the boobies clicky thing *clickaclickaclickaclickaclickaclick*

Tengu
2008-07-04, 12:24 PM
Why the negativity?

Because cynical people think their stance makes them look oh so wise. I won't say how does it make them look in my eyes because that'd probably get me banned.

Clicked the links, fed a 'mal and a human. Woo.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-07-04, 12:49 PM

Wait, your schedule is so busy you can't click two links to feed some hungry animals and people? There's something very wrong about your reasoning I think :smallsigh:

Inhuman Bot
2008-07-04, 12:55 PM
I now will do this every day..

Player_Zero
2008-07-04, 01:02 PM
I fed myself today and I was hungry, does that count? :smalltongue:

Also, click button receive bacon.

Ilena
2008-07-04, 02:34 PM
I feel 7 horses everyday (the rest are out on grass where they can eat their fill), and make sure they are watered and all, AND clicked the linkie, ive taken care of the other animals on this planet, at least a few ...

FoE
2008-07-04, 02:41 PM
My girlfriend once said I was an animal in the sack, and I fed myself this morning. Does that count? :smalltongue:

Collin152
2008-07-04, 02:46 PM
Feed the birds, tuppance a bag...

Spiryt
2008-07-04, 02:49 PM
OK, can anybody explain me how my clicks are are helping?
And does any click counts? If I click every 5 seconds does those clicks count?

Pocketa
2008-07-04, 03:34 PM
I clicked all the feeding links and fed my fish, cat, and dog today!

Mr. Moon
2008-07-04, 05:46 PM
Oooo! Saves the boobies clicky thing *clickaclickaclickaclickaclickaclick*

That just made my day. :smallbiggrin:

It works on the same principal as that rice for big words site - you see the ads. The people who the ads are for give the people who host the ads money. The people who host the ads give the money to charity.

Jae
2008-07-04, 06:33 PM
Considering I have four voracious animals myself, Im going to go with yes. I feed at least four hungry animals a day.

Except when Im working at the animal shelter..then I clean and feed food bowls for like...seventy :smallamused:

Tengu
2008-07-04, 06:40 PM
Considering I have four voracious animals myself, Im going to go with yes. I feed at least four hungry animals a day.

I have a cat. And everyone knows that Garfield is an extremely realistic portrayal of domesticated cats (for stray cats, it's Azumanga Daioh). My cat counts for at least 3 animals alone.

The Orange Zergling
2008-07-04, 07:00 PM
I clicked it, and I'll probably click it whenever I remember, although I can't promise that'll be every day.

Raiser Blade
2008-07-04, 08:03 PM
My cat would back me up in my claim that yes I have fed a hungry animal today.

Renrik
2008-07-04, 08:07 PM
Donkey

It tried to bite me

Raiser Blade
2008-07-04, 09:00 PM
Donkey

It tried to bite me

Jeez that donkey was an ass.

Pun to the face

Agamid
2008-07-05, 12:49 AM
all of my lizards are hibernating, so you can have some of their cockroaches if you want shadow?
I assure you that they are fed on the very best guinea pig pellets, vegetables and vitamin and calcium meal :smallsmile:

Player_Zero
2008-07-05, 12:54 AM
I just helped donate 1.1 cups of food to the hungry. That's as many as 0.11 tens. And that's terrible.

*Goes back to mild insanity inducers.*

Shadow
2008-07-05, 01:23 AM
I just helped donate 1.1 cups of food to the hungry. That's as many as 0.11 tens. And that's terrible.

*Goes back to mild insanity inducers.*Sure, it's not a lot. But every little bit helps.

The world changes, the world improves in steps, in bits and pieces.
If we all do our small part, it happens faster.

Little things like this, that take no time and cost us nothing, are our duty for those reasons.

You'll never know the person/animal that you helped, and they'll never know you. That's no reason to not help.
So thank you.

Player_Zero
2008-07-05, 01:27 AM
I would've thought that the stuff that takes time and effort would also be our duty as well, ya' know.

Shadow
2008-07-05, 01:29 AM
I would've thought that the stuff that takes time and effort would also be our duty as well, ya' know.
Absolutely, but these even more so. And these types of things are capable of attracting people that those are not.

ArchivesNinja
2008-07-05, 10:20 AM
Why yes, yes I have. On time and everything :smallsmile:

Those sorts of things always seem pretty suspect to me, but looking at it I can see how it could legitimately work. I'll keep more of an eye out for it.

The Hunger Site, the Animal Rescue Site, and the others associated with them have been around for just shy of 10 years now, I think. I found them way back in college (and I won't tell you when that was. :smalleek:) I've even bought stuff from their webstore - they have some really lovely handmade jewelry and some of the items are worth "extra" rice or pet food or funds towards breast cancer research.

Spiryt, they basically count how many ISPs hit the button every day. If you don't click the "Give" button you won't be counted, but if you click more than once a day you'll only be counted once. But if you work on 4 or 6 machines a day like I do and click the button from each one... :smallamused: Corporate sponsors give x little bit for each click as payment for their advertising space. Thousands of clicks a day adds up to several tons of aid a year.

You should also try Free Rice (http://www.freerice.com). It's a vocabulary game that works on the same idea. The more you play, the more you donate. :smallsmile:

FdL
2008-07-05, 02:17 PM
However, I can understand those who believe that human hunger and issues like child trafficking should be dealt with first.

Well, to be honest, me too. It's ok to help animals and stuff. But there's plenty humans to help before.

And well, by helping humans you're having more people who can help animals, if you want to think it like that.

I am actually intrigued as to what makes people more eager to help animals than human sometimes. I know people who are into feeding and caring for stray animals, and they don't do the same for people. Which would be more logical I think.

Is it the indefension? Are animals more vulnerable than people? Isn't human's situation more desperate, as they actually have more potential resources but can't get them?

Shadow
2008-07-05, 02:46 PM
OK, so click 'the hungry' link instead.
Or even better, click both.
Or better yet, click them all when you get there!
Or better than that, return and do it every day! :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-05, 04:18 PM
Ok, I'l try to click whenever I remember it, see this thread or see your sig Shadow.

And I helped on my last day of school.

A bit of research concluded that every school computer works with a different IP adress.
We have around sixty school computers. I went on each one and clicked both links.:smallcool:

FdL
2008-07-06, 12:20 AM
OK, so click 'the hungry' link instead.
Or even better, click both.
Or better yet, click them all when you get there!
Or better than that, return and do it every day! :smallwink:

Sure, but not the point though, I'm trying to raise some debate about the motives of people to do one over the other.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-06, 12:27 AM
Well let's see. I got hungry today and fed myself so...yes.

Silence
2008-07-06, 12:32 AM
Ditto there. I think I'm good.

dish
2008-07-07, 12:52 PM
Sure, but not the point though, I'm trying to raise some debate about the motives of people to do one over the other.

This is a big, big question FdL.

It's reasonably easy to understand why humans desire to help other humans in need. From a natural selection point of view, a species which helps its own is more likely to succeed, and thus it is to be expected that altruism should be hard-wired into our behaviour. On a more moral/spiritual level, traits like compassion, empathy, and the practical drive to assist others have been held up by countless religious (and non-religious) leaders as being essential components of a true/actualised/ethical human. (See The Golden Rule (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=The+Golden+Rule&gwp=13).)

Explaining why humans have the urge to help starving animals is a bit more difficult. We could suggest that animals form a vital component of the ecosystem on which humans depend, but that's more suitable as an explanation for the support of environmental causes than animal rescue/shelter. Possibly we could argue that companion animals were domesticated way back in human pre-history, and they were obviously domesticated for valid reasons. Dogs were vital both to the success of early hunters, and also to the provision of safety for primative settlements. Cats were so necessary in the development of agriculture (they protected the harvests) that they were revered and worshipped by the ancient Egyptians. Maybe our empathy for these animals could actually be hard-wired into our genetic memory? Finally, we could consider that many modern humans have formed significant bonds of love and attachment with their own companion animals, and are thus prompted to extrapolate out and show compassion to other - needy - pets.

As to the question of prioritisation, I read an interesting comment about that earlier today*. To summarise (because I've gone on for far too long already):
- no one person can correct all the injustices of the world.
- even Bill and Melinda Gates with all their billions have to prioritise and choose which causes they feel to be most deserving of support.
- if we all tend to prioritise differently, based on our own individual backgrounds, interests, psychological make-up and concerns, then at least each worthy cause stands a chance of making a difference. Thus it's idealistic, but possible, that through our sheer diversity humans could end up uniting to make the world a fairer place.

*It was on a boing-boing thread about Clarion West.

_Zoot_
2008-07-08, 08:25 AM
My family have feed lots of hugery animals today..

2 dogs
about 17 fish, one of whom is sick :smallfrown:
2 lizards
3 green tree frogs
2 birds
and all the native birds that live near our house

and i clicked both links...

On the topic of way people want to help animals more than humans I think that it way be simpler to help animal, because they need less help than humans do. (shelter, medical, ect)

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-08, 08:56 AM
No, its because an emiciated cat meowing at your door is much more appealing than a hobo asking for change in front of a liquor store.

dish
2008-07-08, 12:38 PM
If we're talking about practical and personal help, both _Zoot_ and PirateJesus make good points. Helping hungry or homeless people in our societies usually involves a lot more work: co-ordination with governmental organisations, counselling/understanding of psychological factors, etc. Taking in a stray pet is much simpler. Also stray pets generally do look cuter (although some of mine have been pretty mingin').

I say the above as someone who has, on several occasions, brought homeless people home to sleep on the sofa, and who owns a herd of cats - all of whom were directly off the streets.

However, when it comes down to monetary donations and clicking links, there shouldn't be a difference. It's just as easy to donate to one charity as to another. It's just as easy to click on one link as the other. Pictures of starving kittens are just as heart-wrenching as pictures of starving or abused children, so the question still remains...why do different people priortise their charitable works differently?

Collin152
2008-07-08, 02:15 PM
No, its because an emiciated cat meowing at your door is much more appealing than a hobo asking for change in front of a liquor store.

If I feed the cat, he'll just come back more often, even if he isn't starving.

The hobo... I should probably start carrying change.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-09-04, 08:59 AM
Just a heads up that The Breast Cancer Site (which is of similar design to the Hunger Site and the Animal Helping Site) has taken on a challenge to receive 10 Million clicks during the month of September. If they succeed, they will donate an additional 100 free mammograms. I thought I'd point the playgrounders to this and help improve the odds of success.

The Breast Cancer Site. (http://www.thebreastcancersite.com)

Just click on the link and click the "click here to give-its free" button and you win.