PDA

View Full Version : Hutts (3.5e - Monster/Race)

Obrysii
2008-07-04, 08:25 AM
I got bored and after watching the newest version of A New Hope decided these needed a D&D treatment.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/d/d7/Jabbathehutt94.JPG/768px-Jabbathehutt94.JPG

Hutts (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hutt)
Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30hp)
Initiative: -3
Speed: 5ft., Swim 20ft.
AC: 10 (-1 size – 3 dex + 4 natural)
BaB/Grapple: +3/+10
Attack: Tailslap +6 (2d6+3)
Full Attack: Tailslap +6 (2d6+3)
Face/Reach: 10ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Hold Breath, Immunity to Bullrush, Poison Resistance, Resistance to Mind-affecting Effects, Slow Regrowth
Saves: Fort +4, Reflex –2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 4, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14
Feats: Leadership (b), Crime Lord*, Negotiator
Skills: Appraise +6 (4), Bluff +9 (7), Diplomacy +7 (3), Gather Information +7 (5), Intimidate +11 (7), Knowledge (Local) +4 (2), Sense Motive +8 (4)
Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
Organization: Solitary or in groups (2 to 6)
Advancement: As class level
CR: 3
LA: +3

A large and very bulky slug-like creature slowly slithers towards you, leaving a minor slime trail as it goes. It appears to be a slug except that it holds its head upright, and its head consists of a massive maw, two large cat-like eyes, and a pair of nostril holes. Just below, two small arms wave about.

Hutts are gastropod gangsters, usually found running large criminal cartels. Strong, durable creatures able to regenerate (if slowly) from nearly any wound, the Hutts possess superior intellect, wisdom, and charisma compared to the majority of humanoids, and often attract followers.

Hutts are massive, even for their size – they regularly weigh as much as 2200 pounds.

Hutts are extremely long-lived, reaching adulthood around one hundred, and often living beyond a thousand years.

Combat:
Hutts rarely enter combat, but when they do they bring a potent tail slap attack to the field. When possible, they make liberal use of tanglefoot bags or other methods to slow their enemies down, as it is relatively easy to outrun a Hutt.

Hold Breath (Ex): Hutts have large, powerful lungs and can hold their breath for 6 x con rounds.

Stomapod (Ex): Hutts possess a single powerful "foot" on their bellies, which provides them an ample amount of tractive force and surprising stability; a Hutt receives a bonus to resist any bullrush attempt, trip attempt, or other action that would cause it to fall prone equal to its Strength score; the Hutt still takes damage from attacks as normal. In addition, they have a +6 racial bonus on Balance checks.

Poison Resistance (Ex): Hutts have an inherently powerful metabolic system, and thus have a +4 racial bonus on Fort saves made to resist poisons.

Resistance to Mind-affecting Effects (Ex): Hutts’ powerful minds are hard to manipulate. They gain a +4 racial bonus on saves made to resist Mind-affecting Effects.

Slow Regrowth (Ex): Hutts can survive nearly any major wound – they automatically stabilize when brought to negative hit points, and can regenerate over many years a lost limb. An arm would take about a decade to fully regenerate, and a more extreme example would be the loss of the majority of a Hutt’s head (the brain is located in sections of the Hutt’s body) – which would take about a century to regenerate.

----

As a player race:
Str +6, Dex –6, Con +6, Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +4
Aberration type
Natural Armor +4
Speed: 5ft., Swim 20ft.
Natural attack: Tailslap that deals 2d6+str
Large-sized
Stomapod, Poison Resistance, Resistance to Mind-affecting Effects, Slow Regrowth and Hold Breath. See above for details.
4 racial HD, granting 4d8 hp, Fort +1, Reflex +1, Will +4, BaB +3
Leadership as a bonus feat
LA +3

A Savage Progression:

Lvl HD BaB Fort Reflex Will Skill Points Racial Abilities
1 1d8 +0 +0 +0 +2 (2 + int mod)x4 Str +2; Con +2; Cha +2; Stomapod
2 2d8 +1 +0 +0 +3 (2 + int mod) Int +2; Natural Armor +1; Hold Breath
3 2d8 +1 +0 +0 +3 ********* Str +2; Wis +2; Natural Armor +2; Poison Resistance
4 3d8 +2 +1 +1 +3 (2 + int mod) Large-sized; Dex -2; Con +2; Cha +2
5 3d8 +2 +1 +1 +3 ********* Str +2; Int +2; Natural Armor +3
6 4d8 +3 +1 +1 +4 (2 + int mod) Con +2; Wis +2; Resistance to Mind-affecting Effects
7 4d8 +3 +1 +1 +4 ********* Natural Armor +4; Slow Regrowth; Leadership(b)

Starting Stats:
*Medium-sized
*Dex -4
*Aberration traits
*Speed: 5ft., Swim 20ft.

*See feat description in Debihuman's post

Zeta Kai
2008-07-04, 11:19 AM
Immunity to Bullrush (ex): The powerful foot that provides their tractive force grants them surprising stability – they are immune to bullrush attempts and have a +6 racial bonus on Balance checks.

I'm inclined to take issue with this ability. Full immunity is a powerful thing, & I don't think you took into account scenarios where a creature of truly awesome strength (like say, a Tarrasque) would try to bullrush a Hutt. Under this rule, the Tarrasque automatically fails, which is absurd. Also, a Hutt's steady footing isn't going to help it walk a tightrope. I'd suggest changing this to the following:

Stomapod (Ex): Hutts possess a single powerful "foot" on their bellies, which provides them an ample amount of tractive force & surprising stability; a Hutt receives a bonus to resist any bullrush attempt, trip attempt, or other action that would cause it to fall prone equal to its Strength score; the Hutt still takes damage from attacks as normal.

Other than that, this looks nice.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-07-04, 11:30 AM
Why do you even mention slow regrowth in the special abilities.

Since it would (probably) never happen in-game, shouldn't it be part of the fluff text?

Debihuman
2008-07-04, 12:55 PM
Aside from the fact that these have already been statted out in the Star Wars RPG, I think you've started out well.

I'm not so sure it's Leadership that they should have as bonus feat -- they're bullies not negotiators. Persuasive is a good bonus feat.

All aberrations have Darkvision 60 ft. You should add that.

Immunity to Bullrush should only apply to creatures that are Huge or smaller. They should still be vulnerable to creatures that are Gargantuan or larger.

Slow Regrowth is really just Slow Regeneration. It works the same as regeneration but takes longer and they cannot reattach lost limbs. I think this is already a special ability (I'm pretty sure I've seen this before).

"Hutts can survive nearly any major wound – they automatically stabilize when brought to negative hit points." This should be a separate special ability. Perhaps they should have a bonus to save from Death from Massive Damage.

Debby

Obrysii
2008-07-05, 01:45 PM
I've changed the immunity to bullrush to be similar to Zeta Kai's suggestion.

The reason I made this instead of just using the version in the Star Wars d20 system(s) is I felt it did not do justice.

insecure
2008-07-05, 02:46 PM
This looks nice, but shouldn't the LA be +3? Mostly because of the racial HD.

Obrysii
2008-07-05, 02:52 PM
I figured, compared to a centaur, they're pretty balanced. Sure, their overall stats are better ... but they're big, slow, and easy to hit ...

Do you think an LA +3 would be more balanced?

Edit: I've added an ECL 7 savage progression table to the main post.

Debihuman
2008-07-06, 08:46 PM
It looks pretty good. I've been looking at some feats for the Hutt.

The "Large and In Charge" Feat from Sword and Fist (page 61) would work for example.

Here's one I just made up for the fun of it.

Crime Lord
Prerequisite: Int 13+, Evil, Must be in charge of a Crime Syndicate
Bonus: Due to your keen business acumen, you have accumulated a threatening reputation. You gain a +2 bonus to Intimidate and if successful, your dire threats of bodily harm leave your foes shaken for 1d6 rounds.
Normal: Intimidation does not leave foes shaken.
Special: Anyone who owes you money has a -2 penalty to avoid being intimidated.

Obrysii
2008-07-07, 02:58 PM
Alright, I've added in skills and the feats.

What class would Jabba be? Or simply an archetypal gangster-type?