PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Leaping off a pig

bbugg
2008-07-04, 10:06 AM
I have a drunk little dwarf barbarian/cleric of Hanseath (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a) and I'm thinking of getting him a pig to ride. (More accurately, a boar, I guess.) Judging by the brawling personality this guy has, he's not going to be happy sitting high up out of the fight - he'll want to leap off the pig into the fray. How would you rule that? Do I just do a ride or jump check to get to my position? Or should I use Leap Attack? Would that even work from a mounted position? If I don't have leap attak, is there any way to work it with penalties?

If I dismount, will by boar-buddy keep fighting? He's just a pet (not a companion), so can I teach him tricks like, 'please don't attck my other friends'?

Thanks for the help!!

AslanCross
2008-07-04, 05:08 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm

Fast Mount or Dismount

You can attempt to mount or dismount from a mount of up to one size category larger than yourself as a free action, provided that you still have a move action available that round. If you fail the Ride check, mounting or dismounting is a move action. You can’t use fast mount or dismount on a mount more than one size category larger than yourself.

It's a DC 20 Ride check. You'll land in any place beside your mount. I guess you could combine it with a Jump check if you want to land further.
The problem, though, is that you don't have a running start. Without a running start, Jump DCs are doubled.
If you do get the Leap Attack feat, you deal more damage when you jump on a charge. It doesn't allow you to do anything else.

Keep in mind that your mount should be at least one size larger than you. A Dire Boar might be perfect, especially since it's impossible to put down until it reaches the negatives.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-07-04, 05:24 PM
If I dismount, will by boar-buddy keep fighting? He's just a pet (not a companion), so can I teach him tricks like, 'please don't attck my other friends'?

That's mostly up to the DM, unless you use Handle Animal. See the skill description.