PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Player Suggestions?

Pocketa
2008-07-04, 04:00 PM
Must be

*moderately cheap
*something that works
*rugged
*not-expensive-looking

Posting it here because this is a music section as well, this is a music device...

Any suggestions?

I have a PSP, but my mom won't let me bring that to school.

Zakama
2008-07-04, 04:04 PM
So I assume you aren't tied down to iTunes by buying protected music from there?

RTGoodman
2008-07-04, 04:06 PM
I don't personally own an MP3 player, but my cousin got an Insignia (I think that's Best Buy's "in-store" brand) 8G one for around $130 back in February. That's cheaper than a lot (though she might have gotten on sale), it works well, it's pretty used to rough handling (though I think she's got the rubber cover), and it's no more expensive looking than any other MP3 player. She's been much happier with it than my brother was with his Ipod.

EDIT: Also, I just talked to her about it, and it apparently works with Windows Media Player or you can just use files directly from your computer, and you apparently don't have to have a specific program to download stuff, either. And it charges while it's connected to your computer, rather than having to buy a separate charger.

Pocketa
2008-07-04, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I use WMP, have mostly WMA's, so that would be a big plus. I'm looking at the Shaker right now, and that seems neat. I really wish I could just use my PSP though, because it's my all-in-1 device (Skype, internet, games, video, music, movies).

thubby
2008-07-04, 05:07 PM
I've owned 3 different mp3 players, and i gotta say, the ipod is the best I've come across. it's simple ,well supported, and it works.

Felizginato12
2008-07-06, 10:18 PM
The Sansa MP3 player is pretty decent. I have a 4gig one.

I love Ipods just because of how user friendly they are. But, it's a rip how much they cost.

And paying for music? Never! Shh..don't tell the feds. >_>

Anyways, the Sansa MP3 players are cheap and have some cool features. Also, the EQ is amazing on those things. You get radio, recordings, movies, and picture capabilities on there as well.

Little tip though, I would download Itunes if you choose the Sansa. You can organize your music easily, have a nice player to play them on, and convert them into files that take up less space rather easily.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-07-07, 12:00 AM
What's your price range? What I consider cheap may not match with your expectations. :smallwink:

One thing to consider is buying second hand. Don't expect to get any good songs for free, but I personally always end up holding onto my one-prior-generation mp3 player for a long time because I don't know what else to do with it - I tend to update due to space issues long before the hardware is out of date or starting to die. Many of my friends do the same. If you ask around, you might be able to get a last-gen mp3 player in good condition on the cheap.

Blayze
2008-07-07, 02:27 AM
I have a £5 MP3 player I bought from Homebase. It wasn't as cheap as it could have been - had I bought it on one of their "10% off!" days, it would have been £4.50. Gutted. :P

It works perfectly.

H. Zee
2008-07-07, 02:34 AM
Get a Creative!

They do some very cheap MP3 players, and they're all very very reliable. Seriously. I dropped mine from 4 metres up onto a hard concrete floor (by accident of course) and it still worked. Though I didn't repeat the experiment, in case it turned out to be a Christmas miracle rather than just good designing.

I think I got my (screenless) one for about £40, equivalent to $80, but that was five years ago, so it should be much much cheaper now. Unfortunately, I can't remember what specific brand it was, but from what I hear they're all pretty darn good.

Zakama
2008-07-07, 02:40 AM
Well if you've got WMAs, may I suggest a Zune? They do videos, pictures and music, (duh) have great sound quality, and get this: FM radio. They may be a little on the pricey side though, and if you're gonna get a cheap one, I'm pretty sure nanos get you more bang for your buck. But if you do get a nano (like everyone else-- that's one of the reasons I switched to Zune) DO NOT USE ITUNES STORE. CDs or Amazon mp3s are the way to go, but you do not want DRM on your music, especially if you have a PSP.

Man, it's a shame you can't use your PSP though... You're sure you can't talk your parents into it? :smallsigh:

Felizginato12
2008-07-07, 02:52 PM
Check Ebay, theres a bunch of sellers that just buy off other Ipods and sell them pretty cheap.

And since they have the new generation you could probably get 4 gig Ipod cheap.

I havent checked in a while, but it's worth a shot.

Basically if you ever want anything cheap, check Ebay first. If you want cheeper then you may have to do a bit of detection work :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-07, 03:11 PM
I'll second the Sansa. A Sansa Clip 2 GB runs around $60 at Best Buy (I think you can get a 1 GB from Dell's website for around $40).

Avoid the Sansa Express, though. I went through 3 of them in the space of a month because the battery kept failing.

Pocketa
2008-07-08, 11:55 PM
I'm going to try to talk my mom into letting me use my PSP, or I just won't mention it and take it anyways.