PDA

View Full Version : Large-Scale Construction

kjones
2008-07-04, 10:09 PM
In my campaign, the players recently cleared out an abandoned wizard's tower. They're planning to take it over and use it as a sort of headquarters, which I had kind of expected. However, they're also planning to found a town based around it, which I hadn't expected. It's not unreasonable - the only reason it's not currently settled is because the entire region was recently ravaged by war - but I'm put in the somewhat difficult position of having to come up with ad-hoc rules for settlement, construction, etc.

My question, then, is this: Are there rules for determining cost and construction times for different kinds of buildings? What about the amount of specialized knowledge required? How about the viability of the region in attracting settlers?

If not, would anyone like to help me come up with some?

JeminiZero
2008-07-04, 10:14 PM
building cost: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#tableBuildings

Edit: As for attracting settlers, that largely depends on your own fluff of the area. Easiest way might be find some refugees and offer them farmland in the area (since its after a war and all). If something seriously profitable is aroun (e.g. Gem mine), the PCs could also hire miners from other areas to come in, and bring their families along.

TheOOB
2008-07-04, 10:20 PM
Generally speaking, it's best to handle such endeavors off screen. The players and their gold pieces should be used to purchase their equipment. When building esates/buissnesses, it's easiest to say that any profits go into improving the esate/buissnes.

Crow
2008-07-04, 10:52 PM
13,000gp and somebody with the perform (string) skill will buy all the building you will ever need.

martyboy74
2008-07-05, 06:30 PM
13,000gp and somebody with the perform (string) skill will buy all the building you will ever need.

Yeah, and they only need 17 ranks to run continuously. :smallamused:

Crow
2008-07-05, 06:38 PM
Yeah, and they only need 17 ranks to run continuously. :smallamused:

Actually, they need 8, and then take 10 on the checks. So a level 5 character with perform as a class skill, at most (less with high charisma).

Bob the Urgh
2008-07-05, 07:18 PM
I'd recommend the stronghold builders guidebook. Older but has useful information, plus its a fun read.

monty
2008-07-05, 07:27 PM
Bards find a use!

Dervag
2008-07-05, 08:07 PM
Generally speaking, it's best to handle such endeavors off screen. The players and their gold pieces should be used to purchase their equipment. When building esates/buissnesses, it's easiest to say that any profits go into improving the esate/buissnes.True, although in that case the PCs should see visible evidence that their estate is getting better over time.

More generally:

Watch out about details. Something almost exactly like this happened in my first D&D campaign. Our DM got very much bogged down in the details of organizing the stronghold and of the troops we were hiring and mustering to guard the place. It weakened our ongoing adventures, because so much of our time and mental energy was nailed down to what was happening at the fort.

He did a good job with the fort, mind; if we'd been more interested in playing the commanders of an army I think the campaign would have gone on rather nicely. As it is, we ran out of steam shortly before entering the domain of the BBEG. Pity.

So don't get obsessed with the details. If you find this taking up a large fraction of your total time spent planning adventures, it's time to cut back.