PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Bardic Knack

Arros Winhadren
2008-07-05, 12:33 AM
So, if I understand this right, then for every two bard levels I have, I have one rank in every skill? Can I spend my skill points to add to these ranks, or do skill points spent replace these ranks?

Did that question make sense?

DiscipleofBob
2008-07-05, 01:25 AM
I don't think Bardic Knack affects your skill point distribution in any way. If Bardic Knack gives you Perform (Air Guitar) 2, you still need to spend 3 points to get Perform (Air Guitar) 3.

If for some reason your Bardic Knack score is higher than the actual skill rank, you use the higher of the two scores.

Does that make any sense?

Dhavaer
2008-07-05, 01:26 AM
Bardic knack doesn't give you ranks, it lets you use 1/2 level in place of the number of ranks you have.

LibraryOgre
2008-07-05, 01:28 AM
Your skills points replace these ranks, if higher. However, you are not trained in every skill... in order to get that benefit, you have to spend at least 1 point in each skill.

Starting at 4th level, if you've spread 1 point around to every trained skill, you start seeing residuals.

Draz74
2008-07-05, 02:52 AM
Your skills points replace these ranks, if higher. However, you are not trained in every skill... in order to get that benefit, you have to spend at least 1 point in each skill.

Or take Jack of All Trades. Which is a lame feat, but a Bard with Bardic Knack is the one time that it might actually be worthwhile.

kamikasei
2008-07-05, 06:05 AM
Or take Jack of All Trades. Which is a lame feat, but a Bard with Bardic Knack is the one time that it might actually be worthwhile.

I thought Jack of All Trades gives you a half-rank in all skills, while Bardic Knack requires you to have at least one full rank in any trained-only skills?

LibraryOgre
2008-07-05, 09:08 AM
I thought Jack of All Trades gives you a half-rank in all skills, while Bardic Knack requires you to have at least one full rank in any trained-only skills?

But Jack of All Trades means you can use skills you haven't trained as if they were... so if you don't want to put any points in, say, Knowledge: Dungeoneering, or Forgery, you'd still be able to make DC 11+ checks with it. Combine it with Bardic Knack and you get an actual bonus to all skills, and can use them competently.

kamikasei
2008-07-05, 10:29 AM
Jack of All Trades:

You can use any skill as if you had 1/2 rank in that skill.

Bardic Knack:

If the skill doesn't allow untrained checks, you must have at least 1 actual rank to attempt the check.

Jack of All Trades does not grant the single actual rank required to allow Bardic Knack.

Arros Winhadren
2008-07-05, 02:46 PM
I see! Thanks all. I read about some bard using bardic knack on one of the NuklearPower Red Mage articles, so I was curious as to how it worked.