PDA

View Full Version : Asian film fans?

Bhu
2008-07-05, 02:50 AM
Any asian film fans here?

I've just gotten a job writing reviews of asian films!!

I don't know if any of you have heard of the book the Videohound's Golden Movie Retriever Guide (Site is here http://www.movieretriever.com/ ), but they want to expand their reviews of asian scifi, horror, and fantasy films (Well all films really). The only qualifier is they have to be available for sale in the US.

So if you know of any asian films that deserve attention, let me know, and I'll add them to the list!

Haruspex
2008-07-05, 07:53 AM
Are there any asian films already on your list? So that we don't double up or anything.

I'd say: Infernal Affairs (Chinese), Ong Bak (Thai), Ju-On (Japanese), Hero (chinese), Kung Fu Hustle (Chinese), 2002 (Chinese).

Maybe I can think of some more later. Hope that helps.

comicshorse
2008-07-05, 08:05 AM
Ring ( for horror)
Hard Boiled ( for thrilers)
Bride with White Hair (historical martial arts)
Chinese Ghost Story ( just 'cause it's great)

EvilElitest
2008-07-05, 08:12 AM
if you can ignore, or comment upon the absurd nationalism, Mongol (Chinese/Mongulion
from
EE

SDF
2008-07-05, 08:17 AM
I'm a fan of old samurai flicks. The Hong-Kong action scene is pretty cool as well. (i.e. Kill Zone)

Bhu
2008-07-05, 06:12 PM
Are there any asian films already on your list? So that we don't double up or anything.

I'd say: Infernal Affairs (Chinese), Ong Bak (Thai), Ju-On (Japanese), Hero (chinese), Kung Fu Hustle (Chinese), 2002 (Chinese).

Maybe I can think of some more later. Hope that helps.

There's a search bar on the site you can type movie names into. If it doesn't show up, it's not on there or hasn't been added to the database yet. I have a copy of the database I can reference, and searching it is pretty easy. I'm also the only one working on this so I don't have any worries about doing the same stuff as others.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-07-05, 09:51 PM
Tampopo...the heroic story of a Noodle Shop...and other things. It takes a particular since of humor to appreciate. I still love and quote the part where the wizened old sage is describing in meticulous detail the proper way to eat ramen.

Bhu
2008-07-06, 04:01 AM
Much thanks guys. The editors on vacation, but when he gets back I'll ask how often the site updates. The book updates once a year of course but hopefully the site is a bit quicker :smallwink:

Bhu
2008-07-07, 01:32 AM
Okay between here and other places Ive made the request on I have compiled the following list:

Ringu
Ringu 2
Ringu 0
Rasen
The Ring Virus
Whispering Corridors
Memento Mori
The Wishing Stairs
Matango
Ju-On 2
Dark Water
One Missed Call
One Missed Call 2
Ichi the Killer
Happiness of the Katakuris
Visitor Q
3 Extremes II
The Maid
A Snake of June
Inugami

Hard Boiled
Bride With White Hair 1 and 2
Tomie
Uzumaki
Super Inframan
Yongary, Monster from the Deep
The Yokai trilogy (Spook Warfare, 100 Monsters, Along With Ghosts)
The Great Yokai War
The Daimajin Trilogy
Onmyoji 1 and 2
Legend of the Dinosaurs and Monster Birds
Dragon Wars
Premonition
Negadon: The Monster from Mars
Tetsujin 28
Returner
Frankenstein Conquers the World
Versus
Boogiepop and Others
Orochi, the Eight Headed Dragon
Latitude Zero
The Cave of the Silken Web
Six Strong Guys

Lemme know if you think of more

Swordguy
2008-07-07, 02:34 AM
Anything by Akira Kurosawa, but especially Ran, Throne of Blood, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and The Seven Samurai.

Bhu
2008-07-07, 04:11 AM
Got 'em. No movie review book dares not list Kurosawa :smallsmile:

comicshorse
2008-07-10, 08:14 PM
Can't believe I forgot 'Battle Royale' ( but not the sequel)
While I'm here ' Audition' ( guaranteed to screw with your mind)
'Oldboy' and 'Lady Vengeance' ( never liked 'Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance')

Haruki-kun
2008-07-10, 08:49 PM
*poke*

Nothing by Hayao Miyazaki? :smalleek:

Jorkens
2008-07-10, 09:57 PM
Got 'em. No movie review book dares not list Kurosawa :smallsmile:
Phew.

Also Beat Takeshi?

Zatoichi seems to be most famous these days, but also definitive earlier stuff like Violent Cop, Hana-Bi and Sonatine (my favorite) is worth a look.

A Touch Of Zen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Touch_of_Zen) isn't on your list and is a really awesome (and quite influential, cf the fight in the bamboo forest that inspired part of Crouching Tiger) classic kung fu thing.

Bhu
2008-07-11, 04:23 AM
*poke*

Nothing by Hayao Miyazaki? :smalleek:

I'll attempt to remedy that. Updated list coming shortly.