PDA

View Full Version : New 4e Wizard Question

continuumc
2008-07-05, 09:11 PM
Heh heh..I just made a Half-elf Wizard. And now I have a question..Alrighty, magic missile counts as a basic ranged attack, and is an int vs reflex attack. Now, as a half elf, I took the at-will ranger power Twin Strike as an encounter power. This ability lets you make 2 basic ranged attacks in one turn; and naturally, it says it is dex vs AC (1W) damage. However, that seems to be assuming that you'r making a normal basic ranged attack. So, my question is, if you'r using this ability combined with magic missile, do you make a dex vs AC attack roll or a Int vs reflex attack roll?

JaxGaret
2008-07-05, 09:22 PM
Twin Strike has the Weapon keyword:

Weapon: Many martial powers, as well as several divine powers, can be used only if you’re wielding a weapon. (You can use an unarmed attack as your weapon.) A weapon’s reach or range determines the reach or range of a power it’s used with.

Therefore, you cannot use Magic Missile with Twin Strike.

Malnourished
2008-07-05, 09:23 PM
I don't think that they combine. In the case of ranged attacks, Twin Strike requires that you are wielding a ranged weapon. Magic Missile counts as a basic ranged attack, but it's a power, not a weapon.

OneFamiliarFace
2008-07-05, 09:49 PM
Yeah, here, magic missle is used in conjunction with things like the Warlord at-will to allow an ally a basic attack against an enemy. You can use your magic missle in response to his use of his ability. And then it would be Int vs Ref, as normal.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-05, 10:38 PM
Yeah, here, magic missle is used in conjunction with things like the Warlord at-will to allow an ally a basic attack against an enemy. You can use your magic missle in response to his use of his ability. And then it would be Int vs Ref, as normal.

Commander's Strike only allows a basic melee attack to be used (PHB 145). I have yet to find a use for basic ranged attacks :smallmad:

JaxGaret
2008-07-05, 10:48 PM
Commander's Strike only allows a basic melee attack to be used (PHB 145). I have yet to find a use for basic ranged attacks :smallmad:

Feather Me Yon Oaf was a playtest Warlord power that utilized basic ranged attacks, but was cut at some point.

Perhaps in the future there will be opportunities for them to come into play, aside from normal attack usage.

SadisticFishing
2008-07-05, 10:54 PM
There are several warlord powers that let someone make a basic attack (Victory Surge), ranged or not. There's also that Stir the Hornet's Nest, which lets people make basic ranged attacks, on a miss.

Also, those Bracers that give bonus damage to basic ranged attacks are good.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-05, 11:01 PM
There are several warlord powers that let someone make a basic attack (Victory Surge), ranged or not. There's also that Stir the Hornet's Nest, which lets people make basic ranged attacks, on a miss.

Also, those Bracers that give bonus damage to basic ranged attacks are good.

Hmm....

Well, Stir the Hornet's Nest is a level 25 Daily, but good eye there!

Victory Surge is a level 19 Daily, and works as advertised too.

Bracers of Perfect Shot are a LV 3+ magic item (PHB 244) and are now on the shopping list for my wizard :smalltongue:

JaxGaret
2008-07-05, 11:03 PM

Duh. I totally forgot about those. I even painstakingly looked through the whole class for Feather Me Yon Oaf type powers, and found those two.

It's been a long weekend.