PDA

View Full Version : Combining PrCs with Paragon Paths

darkzucchini
2008-07-06, 01:47 AM
I posted this over in Homebrewing, but I guess it isn't really complete enough of an idea to call homebrew yet, so I am posting it over here to see if people have more interest in it.

So, 4e has come out and I haven't been all that thrilled with the feel of the game, and, as maybe a few of you know, I have been working on an overhaul of the 3.5 system. One thought that has come to me is the idea of combining Prestige Classes and Paragon Paths, they would function like Paths in that they are layered over top of the PC's base class, and will function like PrCs in their verity, flexibility, and general power.

I have also thought that I may include the Prestige Path idea as a possible method for multiclassing. Currently, I am thinking that I will include standard 3.5 multiclassing, possibly some feat multiclassing (such as buying 1d6 Sneak Attack), and Prestige Path multiclassing. Prestige Path mutliclassing will be similar to the Gestalt style of play, except that the character will still use their base BAB, saves, and Hit Points instead of the highest of the two. This form of multiclassing will give the PC the abilities of the new PrP as well as access to the skill groups (I am using skill groups instead of class skills) of the added class. Players, of course, cannont have more levels in their base class than they have levels (i.e. a 6th level Mage may not take a level in PrP Mage because that would give them 7 levels of mage at level 6). One drawback of this method is that it is much better to use some classes as the base and others as the Prestige Path (i.e. if you want someone with 1 level in Fighter and 6 in Mage at 6th level, it is better to multiclass Mage 5/Fighter 1 and add a level of Mage PrP on top of the Fighter level).

This method could also be used to give class levels to monsters as well. Just lay some PrP levels over top of the monster's hit dice (though I have no idea how to figure ELC for this).

Anyway, I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the idea. Do you see anyway that it could be seriously abused? Any other problems or questions about it? I am already thinking that no Prestige Paths will be accessible until 5th level, but I am also throwing around the idea of whether people should be able to go in and out of PrPs free (as can be done with PrCs at the moment) or if they should be forced to take all levels in the PrC before moving on to a new one (PrPs will all have 5 levels to them, though some will expand on others, i.e. there will be Fighter PrP, Greater Fighter PrP, and Master Fighter PrP for the Fighter multiclass Prestige Path).

Anyways, tell me your thoughts. I want to see what people think of the idea.

The New Bruceski
2008-07-06, 02:17 AM
Anyway, I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the idea. Do you see anyway that it could be seriously abused? Any other problems or questions about it?

I don't have any, but that's because I don't understand it. When someone levels up, they get to put that level in any class for power/hp gains (all other level-up stats are equal)? When can they choose prestige paths? fifth level and up they gain one as well?

And so many of other classes' powers base on skills of the class. How do you make those available without going overboard? Can someone get sneak attack, warlock curse and hunter's mark for massive damage?

EDIT: Oh, I just caught that you're starting from a base of 3.5, not 4e. My mistake. In that case I'm not sure how prestige paths would work. Adapt the 4e paragon paths as prestige classes, then let folks take a free one?

darkzucchini
2008-07-06, 10:20 AM
EDIT: Oh, I just caught that you're starting from a base of 3.5, not 4e. My mistake. In that case I'm not sure how prestige paths would work. Adapt the 4e paragon paths as prestige classes, then let folks take a free one?

I just kinda explained how they work in my original post, but maybe I wasn't clear enough. First off, you get rid of prestige classes. Instead of being able to change to a prestige class once a person meets the requirements, at 6th level (and as long as the person still meets the Prestige Path prerequisites), they may take a Prestige Path that is added on top of their base class (think of the way that Paragon Paths are added onto base classes in 4e). This part of the idea isn't all that original, the more original part (at least to my knowledge) is using the idea as a method of multiclassing and adding levels to monsters.

So if you wanted a 1st level goblin fighter, you wouldn't add an extra hit die and some BAB and saves to the creature, you would just tack on the abilities of a 1st level fighter to the goblin. Once your want your monster to be a higher level than the amount of HD it normally has, then you start adding on base class levels.

One of the complaints about multiclassing in 3.5 was that there were a lot of builds that weren't very good. It would be cool to be a Fighter/Wizard, but in the end you just suck at being a Fighter and a Wizard. With the Prestige Path method of multiclassing, you can gain the abilities of another class without loosing the abilities or base stats (BAB, saves, hit points) of the base class. For example, you could have 20 levels in Fighter as your base class, and then take 15 levels of Wizard as your Prestige Path. You would then have the fighting capacity of a 20th level Fighter (with the BAB, and the Saves, and the Hit Points, and the bonus feats), and the spell casting ability of a 15th leve Wizard.