PDA

View Full Version : Rogueish build help

detrevnisisiht
2008-07-06, 08:01 AM
I am making exactly what the title says. I want some help all around. How to make him more quiet than your average hunk of metal. as well as possible feat selection. The game is starting at 2nd level and will go to 15-17.

*steps back*
Ok, Ready, Set......GO!

Bayar
2008-07-06, 08:11 AM
Talk to your GM and see if oiling yourself gives circumstance bonus to hide/move silently/escape artist and checks to resist grapple.

kamikasei
2008-07-06, 08:25 AM
A warforged is no "louder" than a human except for the built-in ACP. Take Mithral Body and then take Mithral Fluidity twice to get +7 max dex bonus and 0 ACP.

Alternatively, look at the Warforged Scout race, from the MM3. A small version of the warforged which trades the con bonus for a dex.

In either case you can skip Mithral Body and have no ACP and no max dex, though you are missing out on a +3 to AC. Might be a worthwhile tradeoff weighted against three feats.

JeminiZero
2008-07-06, 08:32 AM
Trying to play a Cyborg Commando?

Alternative to mithril fluidity is to get the Unarmored Body feat. You lose Warforged composite armor, but can wear armor like a normal character (letting you use Leather at the start and Mithril Chain Shirt later on).

kamikasei
2008-07-06, 08:36 AM
Alternative to mithril fluidity is to get the Unarmored Body feat. You lose Warforged composite armor, but can wear armor like a normal character (letting you use Leather at the start and Mithril Chain Shirt later on).

Good point, this is probably the best option unless you really need that racial Dex bonus.

JeminiZero
2008-07-06, 08:42 AM
Good point, this is probably the best option unless you really need that racial Dex bonus.

Can't the Warforged Scout take Unarmored as well? That way you can get both the Dex bonus, AC bonus later on.

kamikasei
2008-07-06, 08:58 AM
Can't the Warforged Scout take Unarmored as well? That way you can get both the Dex bonus, AC bonus later on.

So far as I'm aware, yes, but the Scout is Small-sized, with a strength penalty and lower speed and all that. Simply taking Unarmored Body for a regular Warforged is the more straightforward option.

Being Small isn't necessarily bad for a rogue, of course, but it's not mandatory in this case.

detrevnisisiht
2008-07-06, 09:31 AM
Arrg, He changed his mind.

No Eberron races for me. so any ideas for a build up to 17th level. almost any class allowed.

JeminiZero
2008-07-06, 09:33 AM
Arrg, He changed his mind.

No Eberron races for me. so any ideas for a build up to 17th level. almost any class allowed.

If you want you can gun for pseudo-warforged via renegade mastermaker.

What party role are you aiming to fill. We need to know at least that before we can recommend a class/build.

Edit: It might also help to let us know what books are allowed.

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-06, 09:50 AM
are you going for a skill monkey, or a face-of-party?

detrevnisisiht
2008-07-06, 09:55 AM
We have a bard so I am looking for a skill monkey/combat rogue-type.

Just about all classes are allowed in WoTC. Just races being restricted.

SilentNight
2008-07-06, 09:56 AM
Yes, a desired type and what books are allowed would help a lot. Mostly the desired type of build.
EDIT:Hrm, 2nd level, right? There's always the traditional dual shortswords flanker. Alternatively, make a mad alchemist. I think that sneak attack applies to the splash damage on alchemist's fire, two weapon fighting gives you two throws, the penalty doesn't matter because it's a touch attack to hit. Make it a halfling for an extra +2 (+1 for small, +1 for racial bonus). The best part is that being small doesn't reduce your damage output. So probably Rog2 or Rog1/Ftr1. Once you get to higher levels the potency does decrease somewhat. However, I seem to remember seeing spell grenades in the homebrew section a couple weeks back. If you can get them past the DM they are technically thrown weapons so the sneak attack might still apply.

Tengu
2008-07-06, 09:59 AM
Trying to play a Cyborg Commando?

More like a robot ninja. Maybe even a robot ninja pirate!

JeminiZero
2008-07-06, 10:12 AM
We have a bard so I am looking for a skill monkey/combat rogue-type.

Besides Rogue a few other classes (such as Scouts, Beguilers) can manage traps/act as skill monkeys.

So how do you want to fight? Go for Sneak Attack? Skrimish damage? Cast Spells?

DareTheRogue
2008-07-06, 10:42 AM
Take this one and use 1st level spells and zeros as quick ranged touch attacks and the pick up a bunch of diguise spells, knock, and silence.
1Rogue
2Socrerer/Wizard (I'd go Sorc because you'll not need a huge spell list just some specifics)
3Rogue
4Rogue
5Rogue
6Unseen Seer
7Unseen Seer
8Unseen Seer
9Unseen Seer
10Unseen Seer
11Unseen Seer
12Unseen Seer
13Unseen Seer
14Unseen Seer
15Unseen Seer
16Rogue
17Rogue
18Rogue
19Rogue
20Rogue

acid splash for 1d3+5d6SA.

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-06, 10:46 AM
tumble is an often overlooked skill - wonderful for getting into/out of places where you can firmly place a sharp object into the back of another person

detrevnisisiht
2008-07-06, 10:52 AM
Take this one and use 1st level spells and zeros as quick ranged touch attacks and the pick up a bunch of diguise spells, knock, and silence.
1Rogue
2Socrerer/Wizard (I'd go Sorc because you'll not need a huge spell list just some specifics)
3Rogue
4Rogue
5Rogue
6Unseen Seer
7Unseen Seer
8Unseen Seer
9Unseen Seer
10Unseen Seer
11Unseen Seer
12Unseen Seer
13Unseen Seer
14Unseen Seer
15Unseen Seer
16Rogue
17Rogue
18Rogue
19Rogue
20Rogue

acid splash for 1d3+5d6SA.

well I'll look over this but I'm not aiming to be broken. Just useful in combat, and with a 18 in dex and int I was thinking invisible blade for the extra AC( also to see if the DM will let me use a Drow Long Knife for that)

And tumble, LOTS of tumble.

UserClone
2008-07-06, 10:52 AM
Actually, the reason Halflings make great rogues (combat wise) is simple: +3 to all thrown weapon attacks: +1 for size, +1 racial, and +1 form their racial bonus to dex. That having been said, a Whisper Gnome is a flippin' deadly rogue as well, with the speed of a human, racial silence 1/day, (3/day with a racial feat) I believe they still get the +1 save DC with illusions, though I am unsure on that one, and a +4 racial bonus to MS/hide - ON TOP of the +4 size bonus! And, well, Rogue as a favored class. Also, you could toss in some Sorc or Beguiler to make it an Unseen Seer, as has been mentioned. Lots of great options available!

EDIT: and the great thing about Beguiler is that it has UMD as a class skill, just like Rogue, so you can wand those few spells you'll want that you don't already know how to cast. If you do go with a splash of spontaneous caster, pick up Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon - you won't regret it!

Chronos
2008-07-06, 01:27 PM
The best feat for any rogue-type character is Darkstalker, from Lords of Madness. It lets you use your stealth skills against special senses like Blindsight and Scent. Take that, and do a bit of optimizing on your Hide and Move Silently, and nothing will ever detect you.

For classes, if you're planning on having a high Int, then at least three levels of Factotum (Dungeonscape) will do wonderful things for you: It lets you add your Int modifier to all Str and Dex ability checks and skill checks (in addition to your Str or Dex, not replacing it). For that matter, going straight Factotum for all 20 levels isn't a bad choice, though their Cunning Surge ability at 8th level is rather cheesy.

As an aside, I've been thinking of writing up an optimization guide for 3.x skillmonkeys. Would there still be enough of a demand to make it worthwhile?

Chronicled
2008-07-06, 01:37 PM
As an aside, I've been thinking of writing up an optimization guide for 3.x skillmonkeys. Would there still be enough of a demand to make it worthwhile?

YES. Now the post's long enough!

DareTheRogue
2008-07-06, 04:32 PM

A SECOND YES!

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-06, 05:41 PM
most definately - i don't think 3rd ed will be going out of style any time soon

DareTheRogue
2008-07-06, 06:49 PM
i don't think 3rd ed will be going out of style any time soon

No not a single player I know in 6 consistent games is going to be switching for any of there games, and no one is starting a 4.0... A 3.x guide will be useful for a good while here now.