PDA

View Full Version : Good Shapechange forms but not totally cheesy?

Frosty
2008-07-06, 01:02 PM
I'm looking for a good form 19HD or less for my Familiar to change into so my familiar can wreck havoc on the battlefield. One way to go is to go with big bruisers (maybe a demon or a dragon?) and the other is to go for (Su) effects that do bad things to people. I'm not really sure what forms are nice to have, but not quite in the "I have more gouda than france" category.

As for myself, I will likely want to stay in humanoid shape because I want to cast spells. If I can find a good humanoid form, I might change into that since then I can keep my equipment. But most likely I'll just be Superior Invisibled and raining anti-magic bombs at enemies so my familiar can then walk up and beat them down.

Frost
2008-07-06, 05:47 PM
For your familiar, you could try Shadow Dragons and toss around negative levels, or you could do Beholders with tons of eye rays and and AMF cone.

For you, you want the Shadesteel Golem, since you can cast spells, but become immune to magic (SR infinity) which is pretty cool. And you also get all construct immunities and heal from negative energy, and get an AoE burst negative energy damage.

Frosty
2008-07-06, 06:16 PM
For your familiar, you could try Shadow Dragons and toss around negative levels, or you could do Beholders with tons of eye rays and and AMF cone.

For you, you want the Shadesteel Golem, since you can cast spells, but become immune to magic (SR infinity) which is pretty cool. And you also get all construct immunities and heal from negative energy, and get an AoE burst negative energy damage.

Where is that golem from anyways? I've never seen it myself.

Frost
2008-07-06, 06:21 PM

MMIII? IV?

Tengu
2008-07-06, 06:25 PM
What a cold thread.

Emperor Tippy
2008-07-06, 08:19 PM

MM 3 page 72, 73 or 78 (can't remember which but I think its 72).

Frosty
2008-07-07, 09:32 AM
Thanks it's page 72.

JellyPooga
2008-07-07, 09:53 AM
... I'm not really sure what forms are nice to have, but not quite in the "I have more gouda than france" category...

I hate to be a stickler for detail, but Gouda is Dutch, not French...:smalltongue:

But anyways...I personally prefer forms that are both bizarre and scary for my Familiar to turn into (fear factor, whilst not often portrayed in the rules, is an amazing role-play element to play upon)...thus; aberrations abound! I don't have my books with me at the mo, so I'm going off of memory here, but Umber Hulks, Tendriculouses (Tendriculi?), Gibbering Mouthers, Squamous Spewers, Darkmantles and all those really odd looking dudes from obscure corners of the Monstrous Manuals (or the Grimoires of Gribblies, as I like to call them) are my fancies for this role. Mobile plant creatures like Shambling Mounds are also cool. Shapechange allows you to change the shape you're in throughout the duration right? Mix them up, keep your foes (the DM) guessing what you'll (or your familiar in this case) be next and what abilities they'll have to deal with...will I be Immune to Fire? Spitting Acid? Grappling with 10 arms? Flying? Swimming? Jumping? Burrowing? Who knows!?

I like Aberrations because they have access to just about every ability available between them (as a monster Type), so by using them as your "Shapechange creature type of choice" you can do just about anything, while still retaining a sense of theme (remember; just because the rules say you can do something, doesn't mean you have to...)

Anyhoo, I've finished rambling now so you can go back to ignoring me...:smallbiggrin:

Adumbration
2008-07-08, 10:09 AM
I would suggest a ha-naga, but seeing that we're on the same game and I'm planning on using it myself...