PDA

View Full Version : Non-sporting Hobby in the Playground

Mercenary Pen
2008-07-06, 03:49 PM
To go alongside the thread, which can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84833) to determine the official sport of the GitP community, I thought I might try finding out what the favoured non-sporting activity of this community was...

Firstly, posting on the internet- particularly these boards- simply doesn't count, on the grounds that everyone within the people answering can be expected to enjoy that...

For me, the answer has to be amateur dramatics...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-07-06, 03:53 PM
Amateur Dramatics is certainly a big winner here with the Djinn, but he also enjoys Improv Comedy, Choir and Musicals, Sculpting, and general Hands-on Projects, the specifics of which aren't really important. Pretty much anything, actually.

Paladin29
2008-07-06, 03:59 PM
well, since i donīt consider martial arts as sports, iīll say here that i love kendo :smallsmile:

Desidus
2008-07-06, 04:11 PM
Riding a motorcycle (in a non-racing format) would have to be mine.... but besides that (I voted motorcycle racing as favorite sport, so I'm rather skewed on my perspective) I'd have to say reading and gym time are my fav hobbies

potatocubed
2008-07-06, 04:41 PM
I like gaming.

...what?

Thufir
2008-07-06, 05:31 PM
Singing or reading for me.

Groundhog
2008-07-06, 05:54 PM
Art, of almost any kind.

Volug
2008-07-06, 05:56 PM
Making youtube poops.

Some ideas for my next one...

"Join me Link! And I will DIE, or else you will DIE."
"This Illegal Dinner is Legal you know."
"Take the traitor and eat him for dinner."
"Mah Boi."

Midnight Son
2008-07-06, 05:58 PM
Reading, watching movies, motorcycling(obviously), gaming(MMOs, board games and role playing), spending time with the people I love.

Purple Cloak
2008-07-06, 06:36 PM
I'm very much a generic geek, Video games, RPGs and Manga

Thanatos 51-50
2008-07-06, 06:41 PM
well, since i donīt consider martial arts as sports, iīll say here that i love kendo :smallsmile:

Kendo is totally an offical sport. School teams, tournaments, scouring system, press coverage and everything.
Its as much a sport as Paintball, Fencing or Boxing.
That said, I enjoy gaming.
And I really need to get into Kendo.

Player_Zero
2008-07-06, 07:16 PM
I'm very much a generic geek, Video games, RPGs and Manga

What this guy done said.

Also, being a professional weirdo.

Purple Cloak
2008-07-06, 07:23 PM
What this guy done said.

That goes without saying, i've never met anyone who liked all three (myself included) who was even remotely normal.

Player_Zero
2008-07-06, 07:27 PM
Normality is overrated.

...As is abnormality for that matter.

Ooo, and watching the same episodes of One Piece again and again. That also is a hobbit of mine.

Burrito
2008-07-06, 07:27 PM
Brinking...Deers....*hic*

Rock hounding is lots of fun too, in a really geeky, outdoorsy way.

Mauve Shirt
2008-07-06, 07:29 PM
Art projects and piano music here.

Paladin29
2008-07-06, 08:46 PM
Kendo is totally an offical sport. School teams, tournaments, scouring system, press coverage and everything.
Its as much a sport as Paintball, Fencing or Boxing.
That said, I enjoy gaming.
And I really need to get into Kendo.

I donīt think so, even the competition kendo (shiai) is not about lose or win only, etiquette is important, tecnique is important, zanshin is important. Other thing is that in recent years Kendo is developing a sport facet (hell, I see even advertising in the do). The most important thing in a sport is to win, in kendo the most important thing is to grow and learn (defeating yourself).

However, the true Kendo is the practice that we do in the dojo, suburi,waza, geiko... a practice with a deep philosophical background, your kendo must be corageous, straight and honest.

That said, i enjoy gaming too.. and reading :smallsmile:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-06, 09:02 PM
Music junky here.

I play it, I listen to it, I snort it.

deepsear
2008-07-06, 09:19 PM
I'm dabbling in voice acting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL_s44PKajQ).

I think I'd be okay in regular theater, or even in musicals, but voice acting seems to be something I think I would really get to have fun with. My character can be anyone, doesn't even have to look like me.

I'm actually gonna take requests right now for anyone who wants accents done.

Agamid
2008-07-06, 10:39 PM
Film photography, darkroom photography, graphite and/or water colour drawing, modeling, sewing, cooking, medieval re-enactment, digital and graphic art projects - like CD covers and booklets, posters, pamphlets, etc - writing (hopefully have my first novel finished soon... have it all in my head, but having difficulty getting it down on paper, already have the second novel forming), fantasy DnD, computer/console RPGs, collecting and playing out-dated computer and console games (old lucus arts games like sam and max, nintendo games like zelda, gameboy games like pokemon, etc.), collecting antique and retro cloths and accessories, beading and jewellery construction, reptile husbandry, rescue and breeding...

I keep myself busy :smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2008-07-06, 10:41 PM
What this guy done said.

Damn, you beat me to it. :smalltongue:

Drawing in Inkscape, reading a lot of Manga, watching a lot of videogames..... I used to enjoy reading a lot, but I pretty much ran out of books. I only have like two or three left.....<.<

B-Man
2008-07-06, 11:39 PM
*snip* watching a lot of videogames.....*snip*

Watching video games? Man, that must be boring. Personally, I'd prefer to play video games rather than watching them. :smalltongue:

Also, subscribe me with the preferences of anime watching, manga reading, RPG playing, and general geekery.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-07-07, 02:49 AM
I donīt think so, even the competition kendo (shiai) is not about lose or win only, etiquette is important, tecnique is important, zanshin is important. Other thing is that in recent years Kendo is developing a sport facet (hell, I see even advertising in the do). The most important thing in a sport is to win, in kendo the most important thing is to grow and learn (defeating yourself).

However, the true Kendo is the practice that we do in the dojo, suburi,waza, geiko... a practice with a deep philosophical background, your kendo must be corageous, straight and honest.

Etiquette is present in many combat sports.
I am, admittidly, not a kendoku (or however you spell it) I can't find a dojo willing to teach a gaijin here in nihon.
And MWR is not helping.
Any combat sport can be practiced with a deep, philosophical background. Many were invented with the express purpose of winning (its combat training, for Pete's sake!). Warriors have philosophies, and these are reflected within the combat sport.

That said, I'm still a big fan of paintball.

evisiron
2008-07-07, 02:56 AM
Warhammer (fantasy and 40k), D&D, video games etc etc

Susil
2008-07-07, 03:31 AM
Latin and Ballroom dancing! Though my last year's partner's off to London in the new semester so I'll be doing it with someone new.

Mind, I do it competetively so it could kinda be considered a sport...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-07, 04:17 AM
Internetz, gaming, reading, eating milk and cookies.... gaming, internetz..... Stuff like that....

potatocubed
2008-07-07, 06:50 AM
...in kendo the most important thing is to grow and learn (defeating yourself).

Hey, I'm a past master at defeating myself! This kendo stuff should be easy. :smalltongue:

Paladin29
2008-07-07, 07:53 AM
Etiquette is present in many combat sports.
I am, admittidly, not a kendoku (or however you spell it) I can't find a dojo willing to teach a gaijin here in nihon.
And MWR is not helping.
Any combat sport can be practiced with a deep, philosophical background. Many were invented with the express purpose of winning (its combat training, for Pete's sake!). Warriors have philosophies, and these are reflected within the combat sport.

That said, I'm still a big fan of paintball.

i donīt see anything philosophical in boxing, but hey, I am not an expert in boxing... I suggest you to ask a kendo master if kendo is a sport. I allways recieve the same answer: No.

coming back to the topic, I love go to the cinema :smallsmile:

Deepblue706
2008-07-07, 11:32 AM
Misanthropy. It's my anti-drug.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-07-07, 06:46 PM
Photography.

Gem Flower
2008-07-07, 06:47 PM
Singing!:smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2008-07-07, 07:08 PM
i donīt see anything philosophical in boxing, but hey, I am not an expert in boxing... I suggest you to ask a kendo master if kendo is a sport. I allways recieve the same answer: No.

sport–noun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Appearantly none of the kendo masters bothered to buy dictionaries. Neither competion nor philosophy factor into whether something is a sport. All that's required is that it is a skillful athletic activity, which kendo most certainly is.

I like to write, I like to game. I've started playing go recently, which is pretty fun, and I've been playing chess for somewhat longer. I also enjoy dancing, and am thinking of taking up sewing, just because it's in-friggin-possible to find clothes my size.

Paladin29
2008-07-08, 04:04 AM
Appearantly none of the kendo masters bothered to buy dictionaries. Neither competion nor philosophy factor into whether something is a sport. All that's required is that it is a skillful athletic activity, which kendo most certainly is.

I like to write, I like to game. I've started playing go recently, which is pretty fun, and I've been playing chess for somewhat longer. I also enjoy dancing, and am thinking of taking up sewing, just because it's in-friggin-possible to find clothes my size.

If you give a wide meaning to a word you can include almost anything you want, however, at least in my language, competition (and its prizes) are primordial in a sport, and in kendo competition is secondary. in addition Kendo is not an anglosaxon concept. And I am sure that a kendo master is more qualified to define kendo than a dictionary writer. (Oh my god, i didnīt want to begin a discussion about sport/kendo differences, it was only a remark in my first post...)

averagejoe
2008-07-08, 11:43 AM
(Oh my god, i didnīt want to begin a discussion about sport/kendo differences, it was only a remark in my first post...)

Don't get me wrong, this isn't an attack. I'm mostly curious because, to me, kendo (and actually martial arts, which is what your statement was about in you first post) pretty clearly are sports, and I have difficulty with the concept that they might not be. "Sport" being the English word which describes certain activities, and which can describ things which do not have a European influence. It's irrelevant if the analogue for sport in your language has a slightly different meaning, or is a slightly different concept; in that case the word isn't "sport" because it means something different.

I am curious, though; you say in your language, for something to be a sport competition and prizes are primary. When I go out and play ball with my friends, I get no prizes either way, and I typically don't even bother to keep score (usually when we do it's because for some reason limiting the length of a game is desirable.) Primarily it's about having fun. Does that make what we do not a sport in your language?

prongs43
2008-07-08, 12:05 PM
Anything related to performing, such as theatre, singing, music, etc. And video games and karate.

Paladin29
2008-07-08, 12:36 PM
I was talking about official sports, not the football match wich you can play with your friends, but i see your point, I was being too narrow. Nevermind, I was trying to make a philosophical difference not a semantic one. Iīm sorryyyy i am too stubborn :smallfrown:

averagejoe
2008-07-08, 02:10 PM
I was talking about official sports, not the football match wich you can play with your friends, but i see your point, I was being too narrow. Nevermind, I was trying to make a philosophical difference not a semantic one. Iīm sorryyyy i am too stubborn :smallfrown:

Ah, that makes more sense, I just didn't understand what you meant. I don't do much thinking about "official" sports, I'm afraid, and it never occured to me to make that connection.

Purple Cloak
2008-07-08, 03:52 PM
"Take the traitor and eat him for dinner."

Thi8nking about it, if your familair with Digital Devil Saga waht might be a good base for you to work with.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-08, 04:02 PM
Lots of them, mostly geeky/eccentric. These are the big ones.

Warhammer, both versions.
Reading
Writing
Art
Video Games
Leatherwork, to a lesser extent
Reading Webcomics