PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying an iphone

Eredo
2008-07-07, 03:48 AM
Just before I start, hello to all, just joined the forums a few days ago.

Right, onto my question.

I've been thinking of buying an iphone for a good few months now and always put it off, it looks great, seems reliable and can be used as an ipod, great.
It also seems expensive...in both market price and monthly contract, does anyone have any experience with the iphone that could give me their opinions?

Thanks in advance

-E-

Tom_Violence
2008-07-07, 04:17 AM
I can tell you one thing about it - you'll never be allowed into a pub quiz again! Those 'Wikipedia-anywhere' scoundrels!

Other than that, well, I hate Apple and everything they stand for, so mayhaps I'm not the best to impart info. From what I've heard from friends with one, its nice, if you like that sort of thing and are willing to pay through the eyes for it. But what I've also heard is that, if you can live without a damned touchscreen, exactly the same stuff and more can be done for a lot less.

valadil
2008-07-07, 09:01 AM
I'm getting one. Waiting till after the 11th so I can get the 3g one (3g is not 3gigs, it's a different network that's way faster for browsing). My justification is that being able to receive email on my phone will help me out at work quite a bit. Yes I'm aware that other phones do email.

Zencao
2008-07-08, 12:45 PM
The 3g is also if I'm correct, substantially cheaper.

Super_mad09
2008-07-09, 08:27 AM
My uncle and my aunt have iphones and i will have one if i have a high grade and once my father gets more money.

Jack Squat
2008-07-09, 09:08 AM
I've never seen the point of them. I've never really seen the point of having a phone do more than talk to people...although I do understand the advantages of texting people, and may cave in in the next couple months.

If I wan't to browse the Internet, I'll use a computer. If I want to take pictures, I'll grab a camera. If I want to listen to music while walking, I'll grab my MiniDisc player. If I want to call someone, that's when I'll use my cell phone.

However, personal biases aside, the iphone is supposedly pretty solid in what it does. As others have said, the same stuff can be done with plenty cheaper options, but the iphone does look sleek. If you want one, go ahead and get one, there's no reason not to if you're willing to pay that much.

SAMAS
2008-07-09, 01:49 PM
If I wan't to browse the Internet, I'll use a computer. If I want to take pictures, I'll grab a camera. If I want to listen to music while walking, I'll grab my MiniDisc player. If I want to call someone, that's when I'll use my cell phone.

*shrugs* Most people don't want to lug a camera, minidisc player, and phone around separately. Some people don't have a laptop, and need/want to browse the net while not at home.

Really, my only beef is with the price, and the whole "Gotta get service with AT&T" thing.

Reinforcements
2008-07-09, 02:35 PM
Really, my only beef is with the price, and the whole "Gotta get service with AT&T" thing.
Same here. If I understand it correctly, it's what, like $75 a month for phone service and internet with the iPhone? That is not a small number.

Jack Squat
2008-07-10, 06:06 AM
*shrugs* Most people don't want to lug a camera, minidisc player, and phone around separately. Some people don't have a laptop, and need/want to browse the net while not at home.

Most people wouldn't be carrying a MiniDisc player anyways :smalltongue:

I understand that a lot of people choose the phones with that stuff because they like the convenience of not having the bulk/weight. I just personally don't see the purpose of placing a bunch of sub par features in a phone instead of just using a gadget that was designed for it. I can also wait to get on the 'net until I'm home; although that'll change in the school year, when I start sitting in classes with my laptop out "taking notes."

I know some people need to check email constantly, and I've no problem with other people getting an iphone or blackberry or what have you because they need to do so. I also have no problem with people who get one because they want it, but I hear too many people try to come up with excuses instead of just saying they think it's neat.

Again, I don't see the point, but if you (or anyone else) wants to get one, go for it.

SAMAS
2008-07-10, 05:54 PM
Well, supposedly, the thing about the iPhone is that those features supposedly aren't sub-par, or are at least really really good compared to the same features in other mobile phones.

Jack Squat
2008-07-10, 06:26 PM
Well, supposedly, the thing about the iPhone is that those features supposedly aren't sub-par, or are at least really really good compared to the same features in other mobile phones.

The spec page for the 3G (http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html)

Audio seems good, but that's to be expected, since this is basically an ipod touch on steroids. The headphones it comes with are the same as the crappy $8 ones you get normally. Not a problem for me, since those are the ones I buy :smallwink:

Video supports only one format (H.264), so it's basically only good for stuff you record, unless Apple has some sort of converter (I don't have an ipod (video), so I don't know squat about those formats). It supports up to 640x480. Since the screen's smaller than that (480x320), it doesn't matter much. Also, Youtube seems to be about that size. I wouldn't want to use it to replace an actual video camera, but it suits most peoples uses of recording funny stuff and showing friends.

Camera is only 2.0 megapixels. Probably good for your facebook profile, but it's not something to replace a camera with (heck, the Razor from 2 years ago had a 3.something megapixel camera build in).

GPS, it doesn't say anything about it other than "assisted."

Memory: 6G or 12G. I'm more concerned in how much free memory you have after everything's loaded. I'm sure they won't screw you over, but if I'm going to use it to hold music, pictures, and video, I want to make sure I've got enough room to replace my media player and video enabled digicam. In reality, you've probably got enough.