PDA

View Full Version : VOTE, the Democracy Demon's Devilishly Devious and Decidedly Diabolical Desultory Derision (Random Banter) #100

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Phase
2008-07-24, 12:20 PM
I... uh... came back from swimming and... uh...

None of you are particularly attached to cuba, are you?

Calamity
2008-07-24, 12:30 PM
I played Metal Gear Online all week. No idea why, it's so frustrating. Yet addictive.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-24, 12:32 PM
Where did you go swimming, Phase? I've never been to Cuba. What's it like?

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-24, 12:47 PM
*sigh*
Phase is the moon.
The moon controls the tides.
The moon went swimming.
The moon is implying that he drowned Cuba.

:smallconfused:
I was linked this (http://daegaer.livejournal.com/20533.html) by a friend.
My mouth has been hanging open since I read the title. And began reading it.
The concept: The Sound of Music crossed over with Good Omens.
Yes.
The Sound of Music and Good Omens. I don't know what else to say. I honestly don't.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-24, 12:48 PM
I know that (it wouldn't have been as amusing if I'd have been ignoring his character while asking about it, though).

Shadow
2008-07-24, 01:14 PM
I worked. A lot. Like I always do. I'm posting from work now, since I have an hour to kill.
And to be perfectly honest, as much as I missed the forums, I enjoyed not thinking about them as well.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-24, 01:48 PM
I enjoyed not thinking about them as well.
Blasphemy! Burn the heretic!

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-24, 01:51 PM
I worked. A lot. Like I always do. I'm posting from work now, since I have an hour to kill.
And to be perfectly honest, as much as I missed the forums, I enjoyed not thinking about them as well.

In all honesty, I felt kinda the same way. I was burning out quick when the server downtime came along. If it hadn't of gone down when it did, I probably would've disappeared for awhile.

Shadow
2008-07-24, 01:54 PM
Everyone needs a break once in a while, man.

Thufir
2008-07-24, 02:33 PM
I was linked this (http://daegaer.livejournal.com/20533.html) by a friend.
My mouth has been hanging open since I read the title. And began reading it.
The concept: The Sound of Music crossed over with Good Omens.
Yes.
The Sound of Music and Good Omens. I don't know what else to say. I honestly don't.

Right there with ya. I imagine it would be even more mind-boggling if I'd ever actually seen The Sound of Music. My head a splode.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-24, 02:50 PM
True.

But don´t we have vacation for that? :smallconfused:

Supagoof
2008-07-24, 03:39 PM
Everyone needs a break once in a while, man.
And Everybody huuuuurts.....sometimes..[/REM]

Too much of a good thing can be bad. :smallwink:

Shadow
2008-07-24, 03:49 PM
Oh.... oh.... oh....
I'm not alo-o-o-one [/REM]

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-24, 04:10 PM
@Thufrir: it'd confuse you worse if you'd seen the film. The angel as the young nun . . . Shadwell as a nun!
Shadwell!

Player_Zero
2008-07-24, 04:11 PM
Shadwell by name, shad very well by reputation. Fofofofofofof.

...Wait, what?

Shadow
2008-07-24, 04:12 PM
Shadow as a nun!
Just wait for Halloween :smallwink:

Thufir
2008-07-24, 04:41 PM
Shadwell as a nun! Shadwell!

Yeah, that's a whole new level of disturbing right there. My brain won't let me think about it, thankfully.

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-24, 04:54 PM
Just wait for Halloween :smallwink:

...and now ranking in at #35 on the list of mental images I really never wanted to have...

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-24, 04:55 PM
Semi-seconded there Cristo.
Except it's actually number 21.

Shadow
2008-07-24, 05:01 PM
Until Halloween gets here, and I jump straight to the top ten with an actual visual image.

MUAHAAHAAA!

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-24, 05:14 PM
AHA! That's where you fail. As an AMENite I have an endless supply of brain acid with which to earase any horrifying image I please.
Except for one horrible, horrible picture.

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-24, 05:42 PM
and my misspent time on gamefaqs.com and Nationstates general has inured me to many forms of brain attack from disturbing images.

randman22222
2008-07-24, 08:03 PM
Blech. I just toured West Virginia University, and its forensic science department is absolutely amazing. Hands down, if I go to university in North America, this is where I'll go.

But, (there's always a but) I was told by a forensics undergrad (honors student, smart person, and someone I wouldn't hesitate to ask out if I lived around here. :smallbiggrin:) that WVU is known as a party school. :smallfrown:

I'm tired of this obsession with "feelings" and sex and booze and parties because the people at my school can't think of anything better to do with their useless lives.

And now I'll just have to watch more of that crap.

Well, I want to check out University of Strathclyde at some point, and if its forensic science program is as incredible, and there's less of this nonsensical obsession with what feels good in the moment, I'll go there.

...I don't suppose we have any Strath graduates around, do we?

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-24, 08:06 PM
But, (there's always a but) I was told by a forensics undergrad (honors student, smart person, and someone I wouldn't hesitate to ask out if I lived around here. :smallbiggrin:) that WVU is known as a party school. :smallfrown:

Psh. They're all party schools. No matter where you go, the party scene is going to be there: Western Illinois University (my alma mater)-full of drunks, Harvard-full of rich drunks, Jack Daniels School of Bartending-well, you get the picture.

It's just something you're going to have to live with. It might be easier in some places than others, but it's always going to be there.

Player_Zero
2008-07-24, 08:10 PM
I'm tired of this obsession with "feelings" and sex and booze and parties because the people at my school can't think of anything better to do with their useless lives.

I'm so tired. So very tired.

And naturally everyone else appears to have fun doing such things when I cannot glean even an ounce of attraction to such a thing...

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them? To die: to sleep; no more; and by a sleep to say we end... To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub; for in that sleep of death what dreams may come?

randman22222
2008-07-24, 08:13 PM
Nope, dreaming doesn't help anything. Well, not alone.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them? To die: to sleep; no more; and by a sleep to say we end... To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub; for in that sleep of death what dreams may come?

"to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them". That is nobler in the mind.

Player_Zero
2008-07-24, 08:17 PM
You mean it's better to kill yourself? :smallconfused:

That's what Shakespear was on about, I'm pretty sure.

randman22222
2008-07-24, 08:19 PM
The difference is I know where the troubles start. Not in me...
Though I do have my own faults. Not gonna pretend otherwise. And certainly not gonna just say, "Oh, well that's just me."

Player_Zero
2008-07-24, 08:26 PM
Wait, what? You lost me there.

Maybe it's the sleep deprivation, but I'm fairly sure you took one of my comments literally. A grave mistake. I should get a disclaimer or something... 'Do not take me seriously, I am the internet.' maybe...

randman22222
2008-07-24, 08:30 PM
Heh, I do that. :smalltongue:

And... I'm not sure when to take me seriously or not. Or rather, I can't give anyone here a guidebook that tells you how to determine whether I'm being serious or not.

But just now I was being serious. The current state of society does annoy me. What's the counter for, Player_Zero? All this obsession with feelings and the current moment. It's a complete lack of foresight, and it doesn't do a damn thing to help out. That was not a subliminal question. Answer it. If I were elected dictator of the world, I'd slowly slowly slowly phase alcohol out of existence.

Groundhog
2008-07-24, 08:33 PM
If I were elected dictator of the world, I'd slowly slowly slowly phase alcohol out of existence.

Have fun with that. There's a reason Prohibition in America didn't work. No matter what you do, people will always find ways to get drunk and/or high.

*sigh* Want to start a utopian society with me?

randman22222
2008-07-24, 08:35 PM
<snip>
*sigh* Want to start a utopian society with me?

Hell yes. I'm convinced that oligarchy is the way to go.

EDIT: In more seriousness, I don't want to try to create a new society; I'd rather do what little I can to help out already existing ones.

EDIT2: Hmm... I wanna go to a GitP meetup.

Phase
2008-07-24, 09:23 PM
Want to start a utopian society with me?

Huh, if given half the chance, I would start a dystopia instead, but, to each his/her own!

Serpentine
2008-07-24, 10:50 PM
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them? To die: to sleep; no more; and by a sleep to say we end... the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to.
...I think. Damn, I used to have that speech completely memorised...

Alchohol's actually very useful. Deodorant, perfumes, medicine, etc. etc. all need it. Also plants naturally produce it as they decompose, so you'll have to start a comprehensive world-wide constant clean-up of fallen fruits. Methinks your world would, indeed, be a dystopia :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2008-07-24, 10:55 PM
There's actually nothing wrong with alcohol, alcohol is actually quite good for you. The problem is with alcohol abuse or excessive alcohol consumption.

Zeb The Troll
2008-07-24, 11:16 PM
EDIT2: Hmm... I wanna go to a GitP meetup.I highly recommend them. :smallcool:

Rei_Jin
2008-07-24, 11:34 PM
Ye gods, this thing is still running?

I remember Random Banter thread #1... man, those were the good old days

*Starts rambling about the old days*

Shadow
2008-07-24, 11:59 PM
I highly recommend them. :smallcool:
As do I. :smallbiggrin:
But be warned, late night drunken KUBB games abound....

wadledo
2008-07-25, 12:23 AM
I'm backkkkkk!
And I brought picturesssss! (http://picasaweb.google.com/bethniece)

Now if you don't mind me, I'm going to go fall down in a corner.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-25, 01:15 AM
Welcome back, Waledo. Did you enjoy your trip? Those pictures are quite nice.

Jibar
2008-07-25, 02:22 AM
Ye gods, this thing is still running?

I remember Random Banter thread #1... man, those were the good old days

*Starts rambling about the old days*

Rei Jin!
My God man, where have you been?

And now you've got me all nostalgic again.

rubakhin
2008-07-25, 03:31 AM
I just got into the strangest conversation.

Over whether or not Photoshopping my head onto Lenin's body makes me look fat.

ಠ_ಠ

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 05:45 AM
Well... Would it?

Lenin didn't look too out of shape to me.

Thufir
2008-07-25, 06:13 AM
the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to.
...I think. Damn, I used to have that speech completely memorised...

To be, or not to be: That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune; or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and, by opposing, end them? To die, to sleep; and by sleep to say we end the heartache and the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to; 'tis a consummation devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep; to sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub: For in that sleep of death what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause; there's the respect that makes calamity of so long life. For who would bear the whips and scorns of time? The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely, the pangs of dispriz'd love, the law's delay, and the spurns that patient merit of th'unworthy takes, when he might himself his quietus make with a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear, to grunt and sweat under a weary life, but that the fear of something after death, the undiscovered country, from whose bourn no traveler returns puzzles the will; and makes us rather bear those ills we have than fly to others we know not of? Thus does conscience make cowards of us all, and the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, and enterprises of great pitch and moment in this regard their currents turn awry, and lose the name of action.
Soft you now, the fair Ophelia. Nymph, in thy orisons be all my sins remembered...

:smallcool:
Perhaps not word-perfect as I used to be, but still.

Charity
2008-07-25, 06:18 AM
Wooo Serp's pole dancin!

*Gets his deckchair out*

^ Copypasta is too easy on da net to prove memory

Thufir
2008-07-25, 06:37 AM
You dare impugn my honour?! Take that! *Punches Charity, then goes to collect swords*

I did it all from memory. A couple of bits I got wrong and I had to go back and correct them at the end, but I did not consult any other internet source, or the copy of The Complete Works of Shakespeare in the next room.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-25, 07:38 AM
My sister memorized that speech for the sole purpose of pulling it out whenever someone said "To be, or not to be?" within earshot of her.

rubakhin
2008-07-25, 07:41 AM
Well... Would it?

You tell me. (http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z118/ya_kochevnik/leninshop1.jpg)

I think it's just that my head is too small for Lenin's body.

(If I do look fat, I blame Ilyich.)

randman22222
2008-07-25, 07:55 AM
Scale the head down ever so slightly, and if it doesn't match up at the neck, the rubber stamp tool can create neck. I think you need to scale it down, and give yourself some neck.

Charity
2008-07-25, 08:00 AM
Better get my dueling gloves and give him a slap

http://www.kropserkel.com/Images/wk2.jpg
If I can remember where I put them...

Rawhide
2008-07-25, 08:06 AM
Better get my dueling gloves and give him a slap

http://www.kropserkel.com/Images/wk2.jpg
If I can remember where I put them...

Here (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=y-01kzxLKLo) perhaps?

Phase
2008-07-25, 08:21 AM
Here (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=y-01kzxLKLo) perhaps?

Funny, I just watched that whole movie on youtube yesterday. Thank you internet.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 08:36 AM
I claim full credit for linking to Robin Hood Men In Tights on youtube first. :smalltongue:

Also, what can i get my brother for his birthday? Given that he's not quite as silly as me and I want to order it from the internetwebbloogspheretube.

Rawhide
2008-07-25, 08:42 AM
I claim full credit for linking to Robin Hood Men In Tights on youtube first. :smalltongue:

*looks at your join date*

That's impossible.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-25, 08:43 AM
That's an awesome movie. I've got a two disk set with it and Spaceballs.

As for birthday gifts, I guess it depends what he likes. After all, not quite as silly as you could apply to an astoundingly large portion of the population. :smalltongue:

Phase
2008-07-25, 08:44 AM
Also, what can i get my brother for his birthday? Given that he's not quite as silly as me and I want to order it from the internetwebbloogspheretube.

Well, given that you can get anything from root canals to human lives online, I suggest something that doesn't get boring.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 08:51 AM
*looks at your join date*

That's impossible.

Yeah, well I travelled back in time and did it before you were born!

Besides, I was referring to the fact that I did so in The Guy Thread but a day ago.

Also, he likes anime and games and whatnot like me.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-25, 08:56 AM
In that case, I'd say whatever anime he likes but doesn't own, or a gaming book, or, if this extends to video games, a system-appropriate and sufficiently awesome title from the current lineup.

Don't you just love how I can give advice without actually giving any advice?

Charity
2008-07-25, 09:17 AM

he needs one of these (http://www.ragingkraut.com/archives/GATGUN_pop.jpg)

Rawhide
2008-07-25, 09:20 AM
he needs one of these (http://www.ragingkraut.com/archives/GATGUN_pop.jpg)

Not to outdo you charity, but one of these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GAUnuuBkW4) would be better.

Charity
2008-07-25, 09:36 AM
Drool.....

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 10:13 AM
...So... No real ideas then?

So far I've got him Okami, Team Fortress 2, some One Piece manga, a munchkin expansion, a D&D campaign dealie and I'm burning some anime onto DVD for him, but since I'm the only one who's gonna' get him anything I reckon that ain't enough, really... :smallfrown:

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-25, 10:14 AM
If he doesn't have Portal yet you should get that as well. Assuming that by 'TF2' you don't mean "The Orange Box". Because it's Portal, and it's awesome.

Serpentine
2008-07-25, 10:15 AM
I have a copy of Spaceballs with the awesomest glitch ever... You know that bit, where Colonel Sandurz goes to turn off the screen, and he accidentally turns off the whole movie? Well, on this copy, the screen goes black... then nothin'. That's it. The end of the movie. There's nothing on the disc after that point. Good thing I've got an extra copy...

Phase
2008-07-25, 10:15 AM
Yeah, Portal...

Oh, and the creature creator for Spore! But the full version, otherwise you're cheap.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-25, 10:16 AM
Randman, I'm sorry I forgot to say this earlier, but I'd say that there's a good chance that yoiu'd have that problem wih all of the places you look at. It may be worth trying to find accomodation which is a distance away from the main campus if it's going to be practical. (To be honest, I haven't touched anything more alcoholic then chocolate liqures for over 10 months due to alcohol making me feel ill).

YPU
2008-07-25, 11:02 AM
one of these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GAUnuuBkW4)

hm, i would sugest the nerf equivelent;
The eyes of fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTm8UYsSYXA)

Volug
2008-07-25, 11:31 AM
...So... No real ideas then?

So far I've got him Okami, Team Fortress 2, some One Piece manga, a munchkin expansion, a D&D campaign dealie and I'm burning some anime onto DVD for him, but since I'm the only one who's gonna' get him anything I reckon that ain't enough, really... :smallfrown:

Smart:smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 11:39 AM
I did it all from memory. A couple of bits I got wrong and I had to go back and correct them at the end, but I did not consult any other internet source, or the copy of The Complete Works of Shakespeare in the next room.

I got the Complete Works as well! Best ever buy. Still haven't got around to reading it. Maybe next week or month. Holidays do equal plenty of spare time.

My sister memorized that speech for the sole purpose of pulling it out whenever someone said "To be, or not to be?" within earshot of her.

I'd love to be able to memorise one of Shakespeare's speeches. I certainly know enough little quotes.
I certainly got to study some of his good plays: Macbeth, I Henry IV and King Lear.
Still, I'm going to do my best to learn some speeches off by heart. I can partially do the St. Crispian's Day speech and 'Once more unto the breach' because we saw the Kenneth Branngh version when we studied I H IV and saw speeches in print. Scared the heck out of my brother during his War Poetry 'study session'. Except by study session I mean forced rewrite.
I loved the look on his face. :smallcool:

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 11:40 AM
I KNEW as soon as I said Okami you'd show up. It's like a magic summoning word or something. :smalltongue:

Also, I've now ordered Ł100 or so of other stuff off of Amazon, so it should be okays...

More also, the 'To be or not to be' speech is particularly easy to remember if you ask me. Seems like a good way to be crazy and creep people out. Maybe I'll try it. :smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 11:52 AM
So, I AM THE MAN WHO WILL BECOME THE PIRATE KING! isn't enough for you?
If crazy's what you want I also suggest the 'Hubble bubble' speech from Macbeth and anything by Lady Macbeth.
She's so crazy.
I also hear Falstaff's good.

Ohohoh, definitely the Fool and Lear (after he goes crazy) from King Lear. This is truly a quote said by King Lear: "look, look, a mouse, a piece of toasted cheese'll do't"

Thufir
2008-07-25, 12:02 PM

I did find it neat that I could do that. But actually memorising it was pretty much an accident on my part: I just started quoting one time and found I knew almost all of it from memory, so I looked up the rest. And I still remember it now, 3 and a half years later.

I got the Complete Works as well! Best ever buy. Still haven't got around to reading it. Maybe next week or month. Holidays do equal plenty of spare time.

I didn't get it myself, it's my parents' copy.
Holidays are good for spare time, which can be used for reading. Personally I'm reading the entire Discworld series at the moment.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 12:06 PM
Hmm... Which is your favourite book so far?

I didn't like the most recent ones so much. Making Money wasn't bad, but I didn't like the ones with the other witch in 'em, even if they did include the Feegle.

Anyone else got a preference? I seem to recall Small Gods being pretty popular. I'm a Soul Music kinda' guy, personally. But that may be because of the cartoon that they made about it. :smalltongue:

Thufir
2008-07-25, 12:12 PM
What do you mean so far? I've read them all before.
And, I have no idea. I find it hard to compare things individually, it's more sort of this set of things I absolutely love, this set are really good, this set still pretty good, etc. But things in the same set I find it hard to compare.
That said, if I had to choose, at the moment I would pick either Mort or Reaper Man. I'd forgotten how good some of the earlier books were.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 12:17 PM
I had assumed because you didn't say 'rereading', see.

Anywho, I think I'm gonna' have a nice dry chicken curry dinner. Num num num num nom.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 12:46 PM
Discworld eh?
I love all the Death and Watch books (especially Reaper Man and Night Watch) although The Fith Elephant wasn't as good as the rest of the series for some reason.
Making Money was very goo, if only for the fact that Pratchett made fun of all the theories about vetinari being a vampire but I didn't like the ending much. "Look out! He's got a pie!"?
The Witches ones were great with the exception of Equal Rites and the Tiffany/Witch books are fantastic if only for the Feegles.
Oh, and Thud! is priceless for five minor sentences: "THAT! IS!! NOT!!! MY!!!! COW!!!!!"
The stand alones are wonderful as well. Monstrous Regiment is probably the worst of the stand alones though.

Also; for the past two days I've been watching random Star Trek movies. Currently I'm watching Star Trek: Insurrection. And the Llama makes an appearance. Curse him.
Yesterday was the famous KHAAAAAN! scene.
And I also watched The Chronicles of Narnia: TLTWATW and I couldn't stop pointing at the screen and shouting out various trope names. Fridge Logic was a very common one.
And historical inaccuracy.
A house in London. During the Blitz. With no blackout curtains (or paint over the windows) or tape over the glass to prevent large pieces possibly killing inhabitants. The whole Blitz scenes (which weren't even in the book) were so inaccurate I was shouting at the screen the whole time.

Supagoof
2008-07-25, 12:51 PM
So, because the realism wasn't real enough in a fictional movie, you got upset Curly?

Remind me to be careful when writing up scenes for you if you ever play in one of my WW games again.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 12:53 PM
Geez, let it go, it's just a movie... Noone is perfect, they'll always be a couple of flaws in any movie, no matter how good.

In LotR: TFOTR Frodo was wearing shoes at one point, I believe...

YPU
2008-07-25, 12:59 PM
*Is quite entertained by the mental image of curly sitting in front of the tv calling out one trope name after another.*

Ah, discworld. Feet of clay was quite quite good. I found the tiffany books to be especially amusing for the whole smart girl in a not particularly smart family, or village, or country for that mater.

On reading in general, did anybody read the black magician trilogy? I found them rather good, even tough it shows it’s the writers first series of books. Was the first comment a good friend of mine gave as well after reading them; ‘very good, but her first books right?’
It seems to take a not to heavy but amusingly realistic approach to the effect magic can have on people. Ie; most wizards take the stairs, once they learn how to levitate to the top they will do so for a few days, then it gets old. Ofcourse there is always the oddball who never got the memo saying it did. Also the book is adult but not forcefully so, things take a adult theme when it would be the logical approach.
But if you start reading them, bear with the first few chapters, they are rather cliché and trope filled, it gets better after that.

@^ its is true, greater knowledge takes the fun from simple amusement.
Acutely, one of my psychology books says getting over that point is one of the steps in self improvement, according to one theory. That’s along with stopping with laughing at the stupidity of others and starting to laugh at the stupidity of mankind.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 01:14 PM
So, because the realism wasn't real enough in a fictional movie, you got upset Curly?

Remind me to be careful when writing up scenes for you if you ever play in one of my WW games again.

Sure it's fictional. But there is such a thing as acknowledging facts.
How hard is it for people in Hollywood to watch other films (even Bedknobs and Broomsticks acknowledged what was happening in the countryside and it's Disney!) or do basic research.

And I intend to play in your WW games as often as the fancy takes me so I wait eagerly for the first lampooning of this.

Supagoof
2008-07-25, 01:21 PM
Sure it's fictional. But there is such a thing as acknowledging facts.
How hard is it for people in Hollywood to watch other films (even Bedknobs and Broomsticks acknowledged what was happening in the countryside and it's Disney!) or do basic research.

And I intend to play in your WW games as often as the fancy takes me so I wait eagerly for the first lampooning of this.
Heh, kinda shows how the attention to detail has dropped, the Chronicles of Narnia was also Disney.

Though speaking as a fan, Disney's best animation to me was Sleeping Beauty. The attention to the detail on the walls, shadows, light and variation in rooms in the castle was a level that isn't seen as much in newer animations (digital animation aside). That, and it was done in an age where a lot more backgrounds weren't machine printed.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 01:27 PM
Useless Fact Time!

Sleeping Beauty's backgrounds were designed so that everything was either vetical or horizontal with so much edtail to copy the tapestries of the time it was set. Around about the fifteen or sixteenth I guess. It also took six to eight days to do one background because of the sheer attention to detail because every tree or bush had up to five individual layers on it.

How do I know this?
I watch the extras for films.

Supagoof
2008-07-25, 01:37 PM
Useless Fact Time!

Sleeping Beauty's backgrounds were designed so that everything was either vetical or horizontal with so much edtail to copy the tapestries of the time it was set. Around about the fifteen or sixteenth I guess. It also took six to eight days to do one background because of the sheer attention to detail because every tree or bush had up to five individual layers on it.

How do I know this?
I watch the extras for films.
Heh, I learned that from taking a college course on the art of Walt Disney. Though back when I was in college everything was primarily in VHS...:smallbiggrin:

And Maleficent is the best Disney villain of all time.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 01:41 PM
Paying obsessive detail to Disney movies without regard for common sense? I approve wholeheartedly!

CRUSH ZEUS!

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 01:41 PM
Agreed.
Ursula's a close second, then Scar just for the whole mind screw with SImba and his villain song with a hyena/nazi march. Disney could use more scary villains.
Frollo was creepy because of his 'should I rape, seduce or kill Esmerelda?' song and the classic Wicked Step-Mothers were always nice. You know what I mean.
The Queen got what she deserved. Actually, now I think about it you could grade the Evil of Disney Villains by how graphic thier onscreen death was.
Maleficent got stabbed through the heart quite openly.
Ursula was impaled on a ships prow.
Scar was eaten alive by hyenas.
Frollo quite clearly plummeted to his death, with very obvious hell images.
Wicked Queen fell off a cliff, had a boulder roll on top of her (in case she was still alive) and lightning was also involved.
Shan Yu from Mulan had death by fireworks! And humiliated as he was out tricked by a mere girl.
In comparison: Cinderella's wicked step-mother only got humiliated; Yzma was turned into a kitten and the Rat/Siamese cats from Lady & the Tramp was killed/got away with it all.
See.

Supagoof
2008-07-25, 01:46 PM
Word. Though you have to give Hades some credit. He loved being evil, it was a sport to him.

Though admittedly he sucked in playing the sport.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 01:48 PM
Personally Hades was fantastic, great and cocky. But he wasn't quite in the same evil scale as the others. See: hi punishment. His hair was put out and . . . something else. See? So bland I can't remember the - oh yeah. Chucked into te river Styx.
He's the god of death people. That would hardly inconvenience him for long.

Groundhog
2008-07-25, 01:55 PM
About the graphic deaths: Sometimes it surprises me how much violence there is in Disney movies. Maybe it doesn't count if it's happening to the bad guys.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 02:01 PM
Three words: Nightmare Fuel: Disney (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NightmareFuelExamplesPartFour)

Disney has an entire page on TV Tropes involving nightmare fuel.

YPU
2008-07-25, 02:02 PM
Wait, is there a tv trope about always starting in a tavern? Cause I could not find it, and if there is it woulnt seem to be in the list on the dnd page.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 02:05 PM
Most every villain in Disney is there for the specific purpose of getting the short end of the stick. Then when they try to do something about it they get horrible over-the-top retribution. Mostly, anyway.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 02:10 PM
You know what would be the ultimate subversion for Disney?
The bad guys winning and the main character (and their little dog too) dying. Or simply ollowing a fairy tale exactly. :smallamused:

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-25, 02:17 PM
You know what would be the ultimate subversion for Disney?
The bad guys winning and the main character (and their little dog too) dying. Or simply ollowing a fairy tale exactly. :smallamused:

Disney presents: Sleeping Beauty-The Original Tale

This movie has been rated R.

I'd actually pay to see that.

FoE
2008-07-25, 02:17 PM
The most subversive movie Disney ever done was Lilo and Stitch. I love that movie. :smallsmile:

Since it's technically a Disney movie, my favourite Disney villain hands-down is Oogie Boogie, followed closely by Maleficent.

"Now shall you deal with me, O Prince, and all the powers of HELL!"

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-25, 02:18 PM
There's a reason Maleficent was chosen to be the head of the Disney villains in Kingdom Hearts...that woman/faery/dragonthing is scary.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 02:19 PM
A lot of Aesop's Fables had the main character dying horribly at the end... I doubt they'd make very interesting Diney movies, though. They're mostly about magic foxes and temptation and whatnot.

Also, not really what you want to be teaching the kids... Maybe some sort of animation aimed at young adults would be better... Ya' don't generally get them outside of Japan, though. :smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 02:21 PM
The most subversive movie Disney ever done was Lilo and Stitch. I love that movie. :smallsmile:

Since it's technically a Disney movie, my favourite Disney villain hands-down is Oogie Boogie, followed closely by Maleficent.

"Now shall you deal with me, O Prince, and all the powers of HELL!"

I was going by Disney canon. If you include all the Disney films and cartoons ever made Oogie Boogie gets into my top four as well. Because he tries to kill and eat Father Christmas and Sally and just kill Jack.

But I don't think that was the exact quote for Maleficent. But seeing as I haven't seen it for a while I'll have to go rewatch it. But I can't stand Aurora (however you speel it) or the Prince.
Stupid princess.
I shall manage though. If only for Maleficent, the very drunk kings and the background.

Supagoof
2008-07-25, 02:41 PM
It's hell. Remember though the movie was made in 1959, so having the princess be a "dumb blonde" stereotype was standard practice for the time.

"Did you hear that, my pet? All these years, they've been looking for a baby." she says to her pet Raven. She's a dragon, and has a raven for a familiar.

I love that TVTropes page Curly. It's great, thanks for linking it.

So, how about for best short ever - Bambi meets Godzilla?

Jibar
2008-07-25, 02:45 PM
An Open Letter To Everybody Ever.

Screw you
Screw you and your damn ideas about walking.
"Oh yeah, let's go for a walk."
Yeah, that sounds nice. Until I then have to walk from the middle of town to one end, and then walk from there all the way to the other side of town. Up and down several hills. With a very heavy bag.
WHILE DEHYDRATED.
I am half dead right now, and I've had like a couple hours rest now.
I'm gonna kill whoever suggested that damn walk.
At the least, the picnic went well, and I picked up two huge books of narrow lined paper so I can get back to writing. I haven't found a new journal, but I got like a month and a bit until college starts again.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-25, 02:49 PM
An Open Letter To Everybody Ever.

Screw you
Screw you and your damn ideas about walking.
"Oh yeah, let's go for a walk."
Yeah, that sounds nice. Until I then have to walk from the middle of town to one end, and then walk from there all the way to the other side of town. Up and down several hills. With a very heavy bag.
WHILE DEHYDRATED.
I am half dead right now, and I've had like a couple hours rest now.
I'm gonna kill whoever suggested that damn walk.
At the least, the picnic went well, and I picked up two huge books of narrow lined paper so I can get back to writing. I haven't found a new journal, but I got like a month and a bit until college starts again.
Oh noes.
I hate walking.
If I need to go somewhere out of the house I go on my cycle.
Or if I need it to stay somewhere for longer then 6 hours then I use my old cycle...

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 03:09 PM
And now it's time for me to incur the wrath of the Cat - Muffin. I love walking. Maybe it's because I don't like in Norfolk, butin the nice (but provincial) Cornwall.
Maybe it's because for eight of the first ten years of my life I'd walk up a hill with a 16ish% gradient once a week. The road is between one-third and half a mile high.
And maybe because Cornwall's a very nice place to walk. And because it has lots of hills you get used to hills and walking up and down them. Norfolk's flat isn't it?

@Goof: no problem. But now I insist that you run a Disney WW. Run eet!

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-25, 03:12 PM
I don't mind walking...alone. It's walking with people that gets to me (especially a certain directionally-challenged young woman...). Alone I can set my own pace and enjoy the walk. Walking with people invariably results in one of us getting left behind.

Jibar
2008-07-25, 03:14 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, walking is lovely.
But walking a couple miles odd while you're half dead already is not fun.
Euagh. Everytime I cough it feels like a lung is exploding in opposite direction to the future.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 03:14 PM
I may've already stated my opinion on walking, I can't remember, but anyway: I would love to go walking. Watch the leaves fall from the trees, clouds in the sky, all the pretty foilage and the birds in the sky. Problem is that there are people outside.

Supagoof
2008-07-25, 03:30 PM
As you wish, m'lady. Perhaps the next iteration of LLD will have a Disney theme. Lots of characters to choose from.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 03:42 PM
Exxxxcellent.
Also I think I have decided to get a blog. This bodes poorly.

Phase
2008-07-25, 04:28 PM
Blargh.

Why is it that, whenever I get a new game, my computer reacts badly and tries to drive me away from the game. "Water Hazard" keeps crashing on me, so I'm trying a new driver.

Dragonrider
2008-07-25, 05:15 PM
On walking:

I actually quite enjoy it. Most of the time. When my family went to Paris, though, we walked ten miles having not slept in 24 hours, and that would have sucked if we hadn't been, well, in Paris.

I always used to loathe exercise in most forms, but of late I've found that if I don't get it in in the morning, my whole day drags a little. I like the kick to my metabolism and I like the sort of...pleasant tiredness, I suppose. I ran three miles this morning with my mom, and days I don't do that, I play tennis.

The one drawback? As my legs get stronger, my jeans get tighter. :smallannoyed:

Calamity
2008-07-25, 05:22 PM
On walking:

I actually quite enjoy it. Most of the time. When my family went to Paris, though, we walked ten miles having not slept in 24 hours, and that would have sucked if we hadn't been, well, in Paris.

I always used to loathe exercise in most forms, but of late I've found that if I don't get it in in the morning, my whole day drags a little. I like the kick to my metabolism and I like the sort of...pleasant tiredness, I suppose. I ran three miles this morning with my mom, and days I don't do that, I play tennis.

The one drawback? As my legs get stronger, my jeans get tighter. :smallannoyed:

I absolutely hate walking. I think my hatred got worse when my back gate had sort broken, and I was unable to get out of the house for 10 mins, making me late for my exam. Towards the last quarter of my joureny, I tired to run... but I didn't have any energy. I made.. by about 5 seconds. But I'd gone redder than... well my avatar. Everyone kept asking me afterwards if I was alright.

I was after the exam
I certainly didn't feel alright when I started it.

Oh, my school's a fair distance away.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 05:35 PM
I think I beat you though. If I missed my bus to get to college I'd miraculously have to run forty miles in under an hour or miraculously have to find a lift.
Which is why for my AS exams I'd get up at six, walk into town and catc the early express bus into the town where my college is. And the bus stops across the road from college so yay. I'd still end up hanging around for around about half an hour before going to wait outside the exam hall.
By Io the waiting's worse than the exam if you've got to get up at six to get to college in time for a nine fifteen exam.
And there's always one smug sod who only has to walk a few minutes from the estate type thing by the college to arrive in more than enough time for the exam. Smug, smug sod.

Calamity
2008-07-25, 05:36 PM
I think I beat you though. If I missed my bus to get to college I'd miraculously have to run forty miles in under an hour or miraculously have to find a lift.
Which is why for my AS exams I'd get up at six, walk into town and catc the early express bus into the town where my college is. And the bus stops across the road from college so yay. I'd still end up hanging around for around about half an hour before going to wait outside the exam hall.
By Io the waiting's worse than the exam if you've got to get up at six to get to college in time for a nine fifteen exam.
And there's always one smug sod who only has to walk a few minutes from the estate type thing by the college to arrive in more than enough time for the exam. Smug, smug sod.

I know one of those smug sods who got a lift depsite living 2 minutes away. I'm deadly serious.

Dihan
2008-07-25, 05:37 PM

That would be me. :smalltongue:

Calamity
2008-07-25, 05:39 PM
That would be me. :smalltongue:

*glares*

Lazy, lazy lazy lazy. :smalltongue:

Dihan
2008-07-25, 05:40 PM
What?! I don't get lifts to school. I walk... Sometimes >.>

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 05:44 PM
We are gathered here today to mourn the passing of DoIhaveaname? and Calamity in an unfortunate accident.
These two young promising lads had thier lives cut short when they gloated about how close they lived to their college in front of a college student who lives over forty miles away from her own place of education.
This college student, who shall remain nameless, promptly attacked the two boys with her dagger and kittenskull which she was carrying to a Shakespeare performance.
The two boys died of bloodless within minutes. They will be sorely missed.

The young college student has however, gotten off scot free as she pleaded extreme stress and moderate temporary insanity. The judge and jury (who coincidentally all lived over ten miles away from their colleges) all agreed that the boys deserved it.

Calamity
2008-07-25, 05:45 PM
What?! I don't get lifts to school. I walk... Sometimes >.>

Well, I admit I get a lift quite a lot, but as I said, I live a fair distance away. Besides, it's college next year for me. And that's even further away.
White text does not fool me, lazy one

@Curly: Now that's just mean. :smallfrown: :smalltongue:

Dihan
2008-07-25, 05:46 PM
Well, I admit I get a lift quite a lot, but as I said, I live a fair distance away. Besides, it's college next year for me. And that's even further away.
White text does not fool me, lazy one

I've only ever had a lift when my mum was going shopping that morning.
Beware the spooky white text! Oogy boogy boo!

@Curly: I know you love me really. :smallwink:

Dragonrider
2008-07-25, 05:48 PM
*note to self*

(Do not disclose to CurlyKitGirl the distance between school and home)

Calamity
2008-07-25, 05:48 PM
I've only ever had a lift when my mum was going shopping that morning.
Beware the spooky white text! Oogy boogy boo!

Hmm, then I suppose I can forgive you. Maybe.
It's a ghost!

And Curly, what? I said I live far away from my (future) college

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 05:52 PM
*note to self*

(Do not disclose to CurlyKitGirl the distance between school and home)

Not to DRider: Curly still knows that you're homeschooled. Until whenever you head off to wherever it is your (American) college is.

@DoIhavea and Calamity: serves you right for living near school/college. Or in the case of at least one of you: getting lifts!
And Curly forgives Calamity as he'll soon learn the annoyances of public buses hired by colleges to transport students.
And the dread of oversleeping or missing the bus home.
Buhahahahahahahaha!

EDIT:
Also; I did cave. I now blog.
<.<
>.>
*sends non-subliminal messages*
*stops*
I wonder if the urge to have a blog is contagious?

Rawhide
2008-07-25, 05:54 PM
forty miles away from her own place of education.

Try 1,600km

Tragic_Comedian
Man, I missed the discussion about Disney villains and TV Tropes! Consarn it!

Calamity
@DoIhavea and Calamity: serves you right for living near school/college. Or in the case of at least one of you: getting lifts!
And Curly forgives Calamity as he'll soon learn the annoyances of public buses hired by colleges to transport students.
And the dread of oversleeping or missing the bus home.
Buhahahahahahahaha!

My college won't need to hire a bus, it's already on one, no in fact, two of the town's bus routes. And both of those buses stop at the nearest bus stop to my house.

Thufir
2008-07-25, 05:55 PM

That was me in school. My middle school is just past my back garden, my high school is at the end of my street.
Of course now, it takes me 40 minutes to get into uni. Took me a while to adjust. Still sometimes miss my metro, though not for exams. For exams I'm very careful and at worst I arrive exactly on time and out of breath.

I love walking. Next friday I'm off to the Lake District for a week. Lots of walking will be done.

Dihan
2008-07-25, 05:56 PM

Would you prefer your current situation of living far away from your college or my situation of living close by but the school isn't particularly good?

I know people who live closer to the school than I do and they drive themselves. At least I walk 99% of the time.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 05:59 PM
1600km? For uni right? Still. Loooong way to travel.
40km = 25 miles.
160km = 100 miles.
1000 miles!?
That bigger than the UK is long! (Land's End to John O'Groats long)
And I did need to work that out on screen.

@Calamity:
You. You!
Why? Bu-
I have to catch a local bus from my village into the town bus station (two miles) and then catch one of the college buses. There is a bus service that stops outside the college but the time's are far too incovenient and in their defence three double deckers are sent to my station to for the whole route. And two-thirds of the buses are already full up by the time we get on the main road.

Kneenibble
2008-07-25, 06:02 PM
Hey, all you banter-happy UKers, how widespread are Fringe Festivals in that country? Anyone attend them? Tell me. Ours is ending on Sunday, and there have been some fantabulous shows, I tell you.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-25, 06:05 PM
Well, I'm not going to school right now, but when I was, well, let's see...

My Elementary school was down the block.
My High School was up the hill.
the College I might go to in the future is across the river.

In travel times, those translate to 5 minute walk, 15 minute walk and one half hour bus ride, one 5 minute train ride and 10 minutes walk, respectively. The bus stop is 5 minutes from my house, or practically on my doorstep, depending which bus I catch.

Dihan
2008-07-25, 06:07 PM
Hey, all you banter-happy UKers, how widespread are Fringe Festivals in that country? Anyone attend them? Tell me. Ours is ending on Sunday, and there have been some fantabulous shows, I tell you.

According to Wikipedia there are annual ones in Brighton and Edinburgh.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 06:10 PM
What the hell is a 'Fringe Festival'?

...We have the Riverside festival which has fireworkds but is generally rather piss-poor, and that other one that is even more lame and expensive.

Dihan
2008-07-25, 06:12 PM
According to Wikipedia they are Arts Festivals. I had to look myself.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-25, 06:12 PM
What the hell is a 'Fringe Festival'?

It's where everyone dresses up in clothes with fringes on.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 06:20 PM
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I'm facing a horrible conudrum over sleeping and who sleeps on my bed tonight.
Problem the first: it's always so darn hot up here that I only use my very light sleeping bag fully opened as a duvet. I also share a room so no other option works. And this is with the window wide open.

Problem the second: there's ccurrently a group of about ten moronic ASBO holders getting drunk within twenty yards of my house. The window is fully shut (so both my sister and I will prolly end up boiled alive tonight) and I can still hear them.Clearly I will not sleep.

Problem the third: the cat. I am squeezed into the bottom fifth of my bed (including laptop) while she occupies the middle three fifths of the bed. I fear that even if I can contort my body around hers I wil end up falling off my bed onto the pile of borrowed vidoes, books, The Box of Stuff Used Daily, my bag containing college stuff and things which are very pointy.
And I can't get her to leave.

Cursed problems. :smallsigh:

Thufir
2008-07-25, 06:23 PM
I'm told the Edinburgh Fringe Festival is very good. However, I'm not too clear on what happens there. Music, I'm pretty sure. Folk music? It's good, anyway, whatever it is.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 06:25 PM
Let the cat have the bed. Cats need beds. Besides, cats are fuzzy-wuzzy adorable. You should just sleep on the ceiling like regular folks.

Volug
2008-07-25, 06:29 PM
Let the cat have the bed. Cats need beds. Besides, cats are fuzzy-wuzzy adorable. You should just sleep on the ceiling like regular folks.

^-^ (http://happycatlol.ytmnd.com/)

I like dogs/wolves more then cats as you can tell >.>

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 06:29 PM
Attic room in a 100+ yr old house. Slanted ceiling. The ceiling also counts for roughly 25% if the walls as well.
Luckily, in a way that makes me suspect Smudge can read, she vacated my bed in fqavour of my sisters within a minute of me posting my problems.

Dihan
2008-07-25, 06:31 PM
Of course Smudge can read, she is my shapeshifting doppelganger after all!

Kneenibble
2008-07-25, 06:33 PM
The Fringe Festival is an annual summer carnival of uncensorable amateur theatre, you goofs! You should totally go.

The shows can be hit-and-miss, but there's always gems.
There is a lot of clothing with fringes, but that is incidental.

I was curious, because I figured the UK festivals would have a distinctly different flavour than the Canadian. There's five across the country here. My city's is the biggest festival, but is the smallest of the five hosts.

Curly -
Nothing disperses drunken chavs like a discrete slingshot barrage from upper-storey window. Twenty yards isn't so great an impairment to accuracy.

Player_Zero
2008-07-25, 06:34 PM
If you have a shapeshifting doppelganger then why would you use it for the purpose of annoying people while they try to sleep anyhow?

...I'd use it for practical jokes, personally.

Curly -
Nothing disperses drunken chavs like a discrete slingshot barrage from upper-storey window. Twenty yards isn't so great an impairment to accuracy.

Ummm... You have rather well-behaved chavs in your parts, huh? You'd be lucky if they just put in your windows 'round here...

Dihan
2008-07-25, 06:36 PM
You think I control these doppelgangers? This one just happens to be one of the lazy ones, some have quite a good work ethic.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 06:41 PM
The twenty yards away is also around two corners and a fairly substantial house.
I may be a muse, but I can't change the laws of physics. And I'd also rather not get my house egged or have rocks thrown at my windows.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-26, 12:08 AM
I like walking to be honest. I like to get at least 50 minutes in everyday, but sometimes I go for 1 hour long walks. Why wouldn;'t films about magic foxes be interesting, Player_Zero? It's probably a good job that you're not a HALO member if you don't like that sort of creature. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2008-07-26, 01:13 AM
Try 1,600kmThat's a helluva walk... Or do you ride?

4.5km, about half uphill, to my uni. I try to walk most of the time <.<

Midnight Son
2008-07-26, 02:39 AM
The one drawback? As my legs get stronger, my jeans get tighter. :smallannoyed:That's no drawback. That's an asset.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-26, 02:43 AM
I would have classed it as more of a problem (tight jeans can be uncomfortable). Why would that be a good thing?

Amotis
2008-07-26, 02:48 AM
That's no drawback. That's an asset.

Haha, that was bad. XD

Jibar
2008-07-26, 03:43 AM
I wish Pokemon were real.
I'd catch myself a Wobbuffet as soon as humanly possible.
Trainers would challange me, and I'd send out Wobbuffet, and they'd be like "Wtf?" and just start laughing as they send out Tyranitar or something.
And then my Wobbuffet would kick their asses.

I like Wobbuffets.

If I ever meet someone knew, when somebody tries to tell to tell them my name, I always introduce myself as Wobbuffet.
At least two people have believed this until someone told them my actual name.

Rawhide
2008-07-26, 03:47 AM
4.5km, about half uphill, to my uni. I try to walk most of the time <.<

Isn't it uphill both ways?

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-26, 03:52 AM
Rawhide, what did you mean about me missing the point when you were asking about what we did while GitP was down? I'm not sure how I could ave misunderstood the question.

Rawhide
2008-07-26, 03:57 AM
I wish Pokemon were real.
I'd catch myself a Wobbuffet as soon as humanly possible.
Trainers would challange me, and I'd send out Wobbuffet, and they'd be like "Wtf?" and just start laughing as they send out Tyranitar or something.
And then my Wobbuffet would kick their asses.

I like Wobbuffets.

If I ever meet someone knew, when somebody tries to tell to tell them my name, I always introduce myself as Wobbuffet.
At least two people have believed this until someone told them my actual name.

Wobbuffet is the best Pokemon evah in Super Smash Bros Melee, haven't seen one in Brawl yet though.

Serpentine
2008-07-26, 03:57 AM
...it actually kinda is.

Rawhide
2008-07-26, 04:10 AM
Rawhide, what did you mean about me missing the point when you were asking about what we did while GitP was down? I'm not sure how I could ave misunderstood the question.

I wasn't actually asking the question that I asked verbatim.

bosssmiley
2008-07-26, 05:45 AM
Curly -

I have a recipe for tear gas somewhere if that's any help (stinking cloud > pinging people with rocks :smallbiggrin: ). Failing tear gas, I understand that classical music has much the same effect on chavs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPWzLQn53V0)...

@Jibar: why bother capturing and training something rare and precious like a Wobuffet when you can just pay teenagers (moronic, monosyllabic animals better off under human control that they are) a pittance to fight on your behalf instead?

"Radgie-chu, I choose you!"

Jibar
2008-07-26, 06:09 AM
But I am a teenager. Doesn't that just raise even more questions, like what if Mewtwo ever learnt to use Pokeballs?

Wobbuffet is the best Pokemon evah in Super Smash Bros Melee, haven't seen one in Brawl yet though.

Doesn't seem to be as good in Brawl. I dunno. It's just rare that he becomes a giant hazard like in Melee.

Also, after doing a little research, turns out Wobbuffets are considered the best non-Legendary Pokemon for battling.
More proof of my genius.

Lyesmith
2008-07-26, 06:19 AM
I disliked Wobuffet. He ruined Team Rocket :smallfrown:

...Speaking of which.
Surrender now, or prepare to fight!

Calamity
2008-07-26, 06:22 AM
Now you've that song and video in my head.

I'm not complaining though. :smalltongue:

Lyesmith
2008-07-26, 06:32 AM
Yay, Team Rocket!
A common ritual between myself and a close freind is to jump each other with that song. And if I ever get the chance to meet her properly, we'll wind up singing it.

That, or 'Wonder-twin powers! Activate!'.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-26, 06:44 AM
Okay thanks (I didn't realise it was a rhetorical question). If Pokemon were real, do you think it would even be legal to kidnap them and make them fight each other?

Player_Zero
2008-07-26, 07:03 AM
Yes. Because if pokemon were real then we would be living in a fictional world where the laws of the real world don't apply.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-26, 07:07 AM
If pokemon were real, I´d run for it with a few good ground and steel pokemon. And then hole myself up in a mountain, living there for the rest of my life.

YPU
2008-07-26, 07:22 AM
Yes. Because if pokemon were real then we would be living in a fictional world where the laws of the real world don't apply.

Also, we would be living in a world where walking trough caves is one of the more common modes of transport.

Calamity
2008-07-26, 07:24 AM
Also, we would be living in a world where walking trough caves is one of the more common modes of transport.

My front lawn would also be a good place for catching pokemon.
Overgrown grass areas, get it?

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-26, 09:48 AM
Mine wouldn't. Pokemon don't hide in short grass :smallmad:

We do, however, have loads of forests near here. And an old gravel quarry, I think. At any rate, I reckon I could get a good selection of the little buggers.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-26, 09:50 AM
In real life, wouldn't they band together to kill any humans who tried to capture them? :smalltongue: I can't imagine them milling around on their own waiting to be caught like in the games.

Player_Zero
2008-07-26, 09:55 AM
In real life, wouldn't they band together to kill any humans who tried to capture them? :smalltongue: I can't imagine them milling around on their own waiting to be caught like in the games.

In real life they don't exist.

You cannot apply real world logic to fantasy settings; that way madness lies.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-26, 10:46 AM
If Pokemon were real I think I'd live as far away from any of those Gyms as possible. And big forests, and the sea; I can't stand Pokemon.
But I'd take great joy in attacking Mr. Mimes. And Jigglypuffs. And Jynx. But I'd love to meet Team Rocket.
This is assuming that sudenly the Pokeverse and the real 'verse combined.
I'd prolly join Team Rocket, but not take part in their routine. Wobbufett really did ruin their song.

Today I bought myself a quarter of midget gems and you get a surprisingly large amount for your money. So I hereby name miget gems as one of the best sweets by the quarter you can buy.
And I also bought myself a pack of fruit pastilles and there were only threeof the orange/lemon flavoured ones that noone particularly likes. All the rest were the delicious green, red and black ones.
And they are the ones everyone loves, so when you offer them a fruit pastille they say, "Can I have a red/green/black [delete whichever are inapprpriate] one instead?"
Actually, it's like that with most sweets. Noone likes peach melba yoghurts, noone really likes the orange starburst or gems or pastilles.
Wonder why.

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-26, 10:48 AM
...I like orange Starbursts...

Jibar
2008-07-26, 10:50 AM
But Pokemon like their trainers.
Most of them treat them good, give them good food, love and care for them.
And get hourly hugs if you're a Wobbuffet.
Sure, they don't like the initial catching, but afterwards, given some time to warm up, most pokemon are glad they were caught.

DraPrime
2008-07-26, 11:01 AM
But Pokemon like their trainers.
Most of them treat them good, give them good food, love and care for them.
And get hourly hugs if you're a Wobbuffet.
Sure, they don't like the initial catching, but afterwards, given some time to warm up, most pokemon are glad they were caught.

Yes, but they regularly get shoved into balls the size of apples. Has anyone ever wondered what the hell pokemon do while inside a pokeball? Especially when they can be in there several days, or even weeks at at at.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-26, 11:02 AM
You could easily be mistaken for a Pokemon!
Look at you; small, mysteriously mobile, unusual shape and no apparent reason you've survived as long as you have.
Such a rare Not-Really-A-Pokemon would have would-be trainers trying to catch you every time you left the house.

And what you said only proves that the Pokemon are weak minded. I could brainwash them into robbing for me. Or performing various dastardly deeds. Hmmmm. Hold on a sec.

EDIT: And what about the whole you're trapped in a small sphere with nothing to do thing? You're telling me that no Pokemon has ever resented the boredom and cramped living conditions?

Griever
2008-07-26, 11:17 AM
I always figured they had a big flat screen t.v. in there with a COMFY CHAIR! [/end reference] and other small, but greatly helpful appliances, such as an automated ukulele tuner.

Rawhide
2008-07-26, 11:22 AM
I seriously can't believe I looked this up...

Inside, the Poké Ball features many of what appear to be mirror panels. The inside of a Poké Ball is supposedly designed to make the Pokémon feel as comfortable as possible while inside it. While never fully explained in the anime, manga, or core video games, Super Smash Bros. Melee states that this is done by creating a holographic environment that suits the Pokémon. However, the anime has shown examples of Pokémon that do not like being in their Poké Balls; a notable example is Ash's Pikachu. In the first episode of the series when Ash tries to get his Pikachu to go into the ball, it refuses. Ash says that Pikachu should go in because that's what all Pokémon are expected to do, having his Pokédex state this for confirmation. However, Pikachu presses another button on the Pokédex to give more information on the subject and it is revealed that some Pokémon do not like feeling confined.

The conversion of a Pokémon into energy when inside a Poké Ball explains how some Pokémon can be many times the Trainer's height and weight, yet still fit in a Poké Ball and not make it any heavier. Nevertheless, it seems that a Pokémon inside a Poké Ball still maintains some kind of awareness, another state of consciousness, as many trainers been shown giving orders to their Pokémon before they have emerged from the Ball. Some Pokémon, most famously Ash Ketchum's Pikachu, dislike staying in Poké Balls, because they would feel trapped in it. In the anime, some Pokémon can escape from their Poké Balls, usually for comic relief. Notable examples include Misty's Psyduck, May's Skitty, Jessie's Wobbuffet, and Brock's Croagunk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9_Ball

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-26, 11:26 AM
I seriously can't believe you looked it up. And I can't believe I actually want to read the article as well.

Pandaren
2008-07-26, 11:32 AM
((^ I can.))

Could you put people(finished article) in poke' balls, or normal animals, it's very confusing....

I live in the desert during the school year and next to the ocean during the summer, I reckon I could get quite a variety of them. How much would pokeballs cost in real-life...

Artemician
2008-07-26, 11:46 AM
Living in the Pokemon Universe is like living in Gensokyo.

It sounds neat and fantastic, until you realize that just about anything can and will kill you. Humans are weaklings. The only things keeping wild Pokemon out of cities are more Pokemon under the thrall of human trainers.

That, and guns.

But still.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-26, 11:49 AM
Except that, as the show has clearly shown, injuries last for approximately 5 seconds, vanish immediately if anyone attractive is nearby and Pokemon attacks don't cause any lasting damage. :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2008-07-26, 11:50 AM
Also, why does there never appear to be any wildlife other than pokemon in the pokemon world. Are all animals sentient creatures with super powers? Because if so why are the humans in control?

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-26, 11:57 AM
No, no, no, no. The Pokemon have systematically wiped out nearly every other species on the face of the earth through bloody minded determination and a terrible hirst for blood.
How often do you even see a cat or dog anyway hmm? All et by Pokemon.

Jibar
2008-07-26, 12:08 PM
Apparantly Farfetch'd taste brilliant with leek, which sucks 'cos all Farfetch'd hunt out leeks to use as weapons, so if you find a wild one, hey, score. One quick Flamethrower and you got yourself a meal.
There's also mention every now and then that some pokemon food is actually other pokemon. Weird.
I find it more interesting that they actually point out several times that pokemon can become endangered as well, and they seem to have their own agencies in place to protect them. That's why Farfetch'd hunting is illegal, and why Kanghaskhan and Tauros are kept in the Sarfari zone.

...the last game I played was Collesium, and then I hadn't played any since Red/Blue.
*feels the need to go buy himself a cuddly Wobbuffet... and then hurl it at people while shouting "Mirror Coat, now!"*

Volug
2008-07-26, 12:47 PM
POKE'MON!??!? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV8nOLsf9HU)

Quincunx
2008-07-26, 01:13 PM
(shunted over from Depression Thread)

Hands up, anyone who's had to plan a funeral. The mere cost of coffins (the only bespoke item left in most people's life shopping lists) is enough to give me the heebie-jeebies. Got the organ donor cards for here and home, and hope to end up pickled at some med student's side, but for a distant second-place preference I'd like funeral customs of 200 years ago or so down to the smallest detail and burial someplace away from other burials. Puzzle the life out of the future's archaelogists.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-26, 01:34 PM
I want to become a lich and un-live my way through the rest of my soulless existence as the world around me burns to ashes. Sadly, liches don't actually exist, so I'll have to settle for the second bit. Failing that, having a tomb would be the coolest thing ever.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-26, 01:35 PM
A tomb would be awesome.

Failing that, I would like to be send down a river in a flaming raft.

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-26, 01:35 PM
I don't need to plan a funeral, the whole world's coming with me when I go anyway.

err...I probably shouldn't have mentioned that.

DraPrime
2008-07-26, 01:38 PM
I'd like my funeral to be Wacken. No, not at Wacken. I want my funeral to actually be Wacken. When the music finally stops playing I will be completely buried in a coffin signed by all the great heavy metal legends.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-26, 01:55 PM
Yeah, or that.(What Cristo said)

Semidi
2008-07-26, 02:02 PM
I want my body to be fed to grizzly bears or wolves or something. You know, my own special way of giving back to the ecological community.

Failing that, it'd be nice to be cremated and have my ashes spread in people's drinking water so that there would be a little bit of me in everyone.

Eldpollard
2008-07-26, 02:45 PM
"I don't care what you do with me when I'm gone. Use me as a lamp stand. Put a bit of flex up my back passage and a bulb in my mouth. I suppose that you'd have to dry me out first." - Sir Henry at Rawlinson End. An excellent film/ radio series. Very surreal, done by one of the members of The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-26, 02:50 PM
I want them to throw me over the wall so the animals can eat me. I won't mind this at all as long as they give me a stick to chase them away with. :smallbiggrin:

If it's real funerals they're talking about, I want them to make fun of me all the way through, and sing songs like "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life," and "Isn't It Grand to be Bloody Well Dead?"

Midnight Son
2008-07-26, 03:01 PM
I wish to be the first one cremated by being shot into the sun, and my tombstone should be a very large neon satellite orbiting Venus.

Shadow
2008-07-26, 03:04 PM
I wish to be the first one cremated by being shot into the sun, and my tombstone should be a very large neon satellite orbiting Venus.

I'll probably be cremated too.
By accident.
In a fiery inferno.
On the side of I-80.
Westbound.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-26, 03:05 PM
People over here seem to have some big problem with cremation. No clue why.

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-26, 03:05 PM
Ah...serious time...a rare moment for me right now...

I don't want a funeral, period. Funerals are sad occasions filled with sad people. Let each person remember me on their own in their own way when I finally leave this world (kicking and screaming), but I don't want them crying over my coffin as they put it in the earth. Let them get together with friends at a bar or somewhere, swap stories, drink, and have fun instead of listening to someone they might not even know give a tearful eulogy.

Eldpollard
2008-07-26, 03:07 PM
People over here seem to have some big problem with cremation. No clue why.

I know I would... if I was alive. Also, I love the Ain't it grand to be blooming well dead song.

Midnight Son
2008-07-26, 03:07 PM
I'll probably be cremated too.
By accident.
In a fiery inferno.
On the side of I-80.
Westbound.I-80 goes right through Salt Lake City. Planning a trip to come out and see us? If so, please refrain from cremating yourself till after your visit.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-26, 03:11 PM
When I go out it'll be spectacular.
If it's young then it'll involve me (paraphrasing from Top GEar) driving through the Pearly Gates backwards in a raging ball of fire.
But I refuse to be cremated (I'd rather be a partially burnt corpse than ash) or donate the body to medical science.
As for the ceremony itself? I'm taking a leaf out of mum's book. The last song played will be Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. I'll be buried with my teddy and my granny's jewelry and a Discworld book.
If it's old then I fully intend to give the finger to society. Probably in my will. Which will be read out on national television (I will be very very famous by then and also the oldest person in the world) and reference many many things.
Providing I'm not senile.
Well, providing I live to be 132 years old I'll then insist on being buried in some mythical place which has four disputed locations (ie Camelot). I will then say that if the real place isn't I found I will be buried at all four places until such time as Camelot has been found and named so archaeologically.
See how they sort that out!
But it won't be Camelot as there's a place called that.
And if they disobey my wishes I'll haunt every last bally one of them.
Oh I'm going to be a vindictive old lady.:smallbiggrin:

Shadow
2008-07-26, 03:16 PM
I-80 goes right through Salt Lake City. Planning a trip to come out and see us? If so, please refrain from cremating yourself till after your visit.
Salt Lake City is westbound.... In fact, it's is pretty far west. I guess I could try it sometime, but I couldn't promise I wouldn't go up in a ball of flame before I got there.

Even if I made it, that doesn't leave me much more 'westbound' to produce said ball of flame. :smallwink:

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-26, 03:19 PM
Oh, I forgot. There's one more song I want played at my funeral, Voltaire's "Zombie Prostitute". How's this for an epitaph? Here Lies Tragic_Comedian: As Useless In Death as He Was in Life.

V: That is awesome, but nobody would get it over here.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-26, 03:32 PM
"Under this sod lies a poor sod."
That's a real epitaph somewhere, or at least something very similar.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-26, 03:40 PM
Has anyone here read Waiting for Godot?

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-26, 03:46 PM
Well, providing I live to be 132 years old I'll then insist on being buried in some mythical place which has four disputed locations (ie Camelot). I will then say that if the real place isn't I found I will be buried at all four places until such time as Camelot has been found and named so archaeologically.
See how they sort that out!
But it won't be Camelot as there's a place called that.
And if they disobey my wishes I'll haunt every last bally one of them.
Oh I'm going to be a vindictive old lady.:smallbiggrin:

Pick Atlantis! I'd love to see them figure THAT out.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-26, 03:48 PM
Pick Atlantis! I'd love to see them figure THAT out.

If someone told me to bury them in Atlantis, I'd just chuck them into the ocean, because they'd be sure to get there eventually.

DraPrime
2008-07-26, 04:04 PM
If someone told me to bury them in Atlantis, I'd just chuck them into the ocean, because they'd be sure to get there eventually.

Assuming the fish don't get them first.

Quincunx
2008-07-26, 04:23 PM
dragonprime, I have just put on a hat for the sole purpose of removing it in respect to the greatness of your funeral plans.

*lifts hat by the bill*
*crumples hat over heart*
*pours a libation from Wacken souvenir glass over dragonprime*

Or were those burial arrangements? Nah, both.

DraPrime
2008-07-26, 04:32 PM
Indeed they were both. The burial would be at the very end. Preferably with all the bands playing some sad song all at once. Perhaps the song should be Fade to Black.

Dragonrider
2008-07-26, 04:32 PM
I attended my first funeral last winter. A family friend. She had five children, nineteen grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. The ceremony was somewhat grim - I mean, people always cry at funerals - but actually not too depressing.

And then we went to a farewell party at her daughter's house that was very nice.

When I die, I want to be buried with a mysterious couplet inscribed on my tombstone.

<.< >.>

Not really.

Rawhide
2008-07-26, 07:12 PM
http://www.zombieharmony.com/

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-26, 07:28 PM
http://www.zombieharmony.com/

Wow. That's... odd.

Dragonrider
2008-07-26, 07:34 PM
Guess what -

My Hobbit name (http://chriswetherell.com/hobbit/)is Bramblerose Bleecker-Baggins of Fair Downs.

...and my Elvish name (http://chriswetherell.com/elf/) is Eáránë Falassion.

Cool! :smallbiggrin:

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-26, 07:49 PM
Guess what -

My Hobbit name (http://chriswetherell.com/hobbit/)is Bramblerose Bleecker-Baggins of Fair Downs.

...and my Elvish name (http://chriswetherell.com/elf/) is Eáránë Falassion.

Cool! :smallbiggrin:

Mine are Gorbulas Boffin of Needlehole and Angrod Calafalas respectively.

DraPrime
2008-07-26, 09:22 PM
Mine are Till Chubb-Baggins and Elessar Oronar. Cool, I'm apparently related to Frodo.

randman22222
2008-07-26, 09:26 PM
Fastolph Sackville-Bracegirdle

and

Lólindir Tasardur

I like the elven last name. :smallsmile:

Katonta
2008-07-26, 10:36 PM
Ooo, My Hobbit name is Falco Took, location is Great Smials.

My Elven name is Mahtan Tîwele. Pretty interesting, really. I can sort of see how they got my Hobbit name, but how they got my Elven one eludes me.

Dragonrider
2008-07-26, 11:18 PM
My Elven name is Mahtan Tîwele. Pretty interesting, really. I can sort of see how they got my Hobbit name, but how they got my Elven one eludes me.

Heh. It's pretty simple.

It's an algorithm: they have an entry for every combination of first and last letter. So if your name is Anna, you get Lúthien or Fëanor depending on your gender (both fairly iconic Tolkien names...though I can't imagine a male named Anna, at least, not where I come from.). It is the same with Anya and Aurelia and *help me think of a male name beginning and ending with A*.

In other words, there are 436 possible variations. Thus, they do not have to have an entry for every single name on the planet (impossible). It is the same with last names.

Rawhide
2008-07-26, 11:41 PM
Heh. It's pretty simple.

It's an algorithm: they have an entry for every combination of first and last letter. So if your name is Anna, you get Lúthien or Fëanor depending on your gender (both fairly iconic Tolkien names...though I can't imagine a male named Anna, at least, not where I come from.). It is the same with Anya and Aurelia and *help me think of a male name beginning and ending with A*.

In other words, there are 436 possible variations. Thus, they do not have to have an entry for every single name on the planet (impossible). It is the same with last names.

To add insult to injury, you could have just used Ann, Aaren, etc. and Aaron, Aiden, etc....

Groundhog
2008-07-26, 11:52 PM
I did that one a few times, and got different names each time. Then I had some fun with it by entering names for objects such as "Hot Microwave" and "Apple Core"

Shadow
2008-07-26, 11:59 PM
Shadow's Random Rantings of the Night from Hell

Wow.

Ok, so as some of you know, I'm the Bar Manager at a sushi bar called Blu Coral. Tonight, aside from my usual running of the bar (liquor, not sushi), the other manager had some personal things to attend to, so I was running the floor as well.

And what a night to be overworked....

I got there a little early at about 3:30 instead of 4:00. I unlock the door and walk inside. I turn on the lights. The lights go on.
And then they go out.
As I'm checking the breaker box the phone rings. It's John, the manager from the Italian restaurant next door. He's asking me if my lights just went out too, or if it's just them.
Nope. Us too.
We both call Com-Ed. They're aware of the problem and have sent units to work on it. Great.

When my employees show up, they seem to think we'll be closed for the night. Had this happened on a Tuesday, maybe. But tonight is Saturday. We're playing the waiting game folks.

Finally, at 6:00, the power comes back on.
I enter the office to turn the computer system on.
My closet at home is larger than the office at work. Not joking. There are three computers in this office. One to record video feed from the security cameras, one for general use, and one for the Aloha system that runs the restaurant via orders and what-not. The last is the one I need to turn on.
The power button does nothing. Nada. Zilch.
Remember how I said that there were thee computers in this tiny little room? Well there is also a giant network switch with 24 ports. There are also phone lines. There are also routers. There is also plenty of other crap. Basically it's just a GIANT mess of cables under/behind the desk. And I need to find out why the computer has no power.... Not fun.

Eventually I realize that the backup power supply that the computer is plugged into is fried. So I bypass it. No big deal. Computer's up and running again, and we can do business.

Except we can't.
The terminals won't link up with the PC.
Eventually I figure out that, somewhere in that mess of cables, a network cable came unplugged.
Terminals are working, and we can do business.

Except now that the computers are up, and all of the orders that my servers were doing by hand are being rung into the system, at which point we realize that our credit card system is down.
I eventually figure out that one of the routers, while drawing power, simply isn't routing anything!
So I run to the store and grab a new one.
Credit cards are working, and we can do business!

Immediately following, one of my bus boys drops a bunch of plates in the dining room. One of the shards of ceramic cuts a woman's leg up pretty badly.
Finally, after quite some time, I get the group laughing again. The woman is no longer upset. She's smiling again. I know she'll be back, and I know that there won't be any more issues from her. Crisis averted.

Then the compressor on my soda fountain decides that it wants the night off. All of my servers are now diverted to the bar for their drinks. Mike, the poor bastard that was supposed to be working with me tonight, is now even more swamped. Not only does he have to pick up the slack for me while I've been dealing with all of this crap, but now he has to make every single drink for every single customer on top of this.
I give him the Cubs tickets that I got from a liquor rep. He's smiling again, but now I can't go to the game.

The large compressor for the main fountain that just decided not to work? Well after about an hour, his little buddy at the bar decides the same thing.
No more sodas, folks. Sorry. I have some nice flavored teas here for you to choose from. I won't mention that I never sell a ton of those, and that I'll probably run out in about 30 minutes if everyone decides to drink them....

OK, so it took 45 minutes. Now we have ONLY green tea. Oh, you don't like warm green tea on a hot summer night? How does some refreshing water sound? Because that's all we have.

Finally, the kitchen and sushi bars closed. Just a few minutes ago. Mike's at the bar. I hopped in the office to vent for a while.

Now I have to get back out to the crowd at the bar and try to finally make some money for myself for the night.

Thanks for letting me vent! :smallwink: Be back later.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 12:12 AM
My Hobbit name is either Fosco Gamgee-Took of Bywater or Mongo Baggins of Bywater depending on whether I use my legal name or my screen name. My Elf name is either Lenwë Telrúnya or Oropher Anárion. I'm not bothered about what happens to my body when I die, but I'd like my tombstone to say "Life has come to terms with the release of Tempest Fennac.It wishes him all the best in future endevers" (I think it sounds amusing).

Serpentine
2008-07-27, 12:15 AM
Wow. Helluva night, Shadow :smalleek:
It's cold and raining and I need to fetch wood and then I was gonna go to my sister's place and it's cold :smallfrown:

Phase
2008-07-27, 12:32 AM
Yikes, tough break, dude. Good news, you seem to be good enough to elicit a promotion should one arise.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-07-27, 12:55 AM
Why do devils' tails always end in a spade shape (spade as in the suit in a deck of cards)?

Serpentine
2008-07-27, 01:01 AM
I've been wondering about that too, Osari. Same with dragons. I was thinking that maybe it's a sort of simplified sting, like a scorpion's? I know dragons are often described as having stings, and they're also sometimes associated with the Devil...

Phase
2008-07-27, 01:48 AM
Well, they're likely based off long tailed pterosaurs. They frequently sported vane-like structures on the ends of their tails to aid in manuevering. Devils, demons, and dragons likely only gained this once we had evidence of this structure in the fossil record.

Shadow
2008-07-27, 02:05 AM
Yikes, tough break, dude. Good news, you seem to be good enough to elicit a promotion should one arise.
Already have.
We're opening a sports bar in a couple of weeks. It's mine to run.
Good thing too, because I would have left that place months ago if this hadn't been in the works.
And thanks. :smallwink:

Phase
2008-07-27, 02:12 AM
Nice! Just be sure to send me some drinks on sunday nights! all you need is a weapons grade rocket and the tenacity to fire at my face!

Shadow
2008-07-27, 02:13 AM
Anyone that knows me knows that one thing I do NOT lack is tenacity.

Somebody find me a rocket....

Jibar
2008-07-27, 04:45 AM
A problem has risen.
Namely, Super Mario Strikers and the skill my sister's boyfriend has gained.
Usually, whenever he's home from Uni, he is my game buddy. We play whatever we've got together and I kick his ass. Every time. Sometimes he gets lucky, and wins a match or two.
Video games are about the only thing I know I'm good at, and one of the few areas of my life where I have confidence, but now he is beating me.
I'm practicing a lot, so I can reinstate the status quo, but this is still disturbing. Somewhere, out of the mystic blue, he has pulled some magical amount of skill out of his arse and proven that he is not as bad as I once thought.
I just have to teach him that he's not as good as me yet.
The good part though is he's forcing me to think a lot more about how I play. I'm now thinking about my choice of captain, my choice of team mates, the tactics I use, when before it was just Luigi, this team, play, ick the ball at the goal.
Maybe I should buy some more sports games, since he seems to be kinda good at them.
...or just buy Soul Calibur IV and really destroy him.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-27, 04:50 AM
Buy some more sports games. Try winning at those, get his moral up, get his hopes up.

Then utterly destroy him with Soul Caliber IV which you have been practicing in secret.

Rawhide
2008-07-27, 04:56 AM
Four words.

Super.
Smash.
Bros.
Brawl.

Jibar
2008-07-27, 05:02 AM
Four words.

Super.
Smash.
Bros.
Brawl.

Four more words.

Kick.
His.
Ass.
Daily.

Lyesmith
2008-07-27, 05:11 AM
Try altering your strategy a little? I was in the same situation with a freind of mine, untill I changed playstyle and he had to adapt.

Player_Zero
2008-07-27, 06:06 AM
People like it better when they win; just let him win.

Also, hot England is hot.

Calamity
2008-07-27, 06:08 AM
Also, hot England is hot.

And rare. :smallwink:

happyturtle
2008-07-27, 06:23 AM
I bought a Playstation 2 this week, and tried to install it yesterday. Total fail. Cables everywhere, dust everywhere, happyturtle having an anxiety attack because it was pissing me off and apparently my meds are a little out of balance. Mr happyturtle is out of town, so I call the game store and ask if I can return it. They aren't supposed to allow it, but the manager is nice and says I can.

So I get to the store, and the manager is totally flirting with me. To the point where I'm pretty sure he would have asked for my number if I hadn't mentioned Mr Me. And I've been feeling old lately, so that was an ego boost. Most of the men I work with are babies just out of school, so I rarely get flirted with. Not that I'm looking to have an affair or anything like that--I adore Mr Me and we're very happy--but I enjoy it when a man thinks I'm attractive enough to be worth a little innocent flirtation.

(And I totally would have gone out with the manager guy if I were single. He was really cute!)

So that made up for not getting the playstation, and the refund money will go back in the bank while I save up to get a PSP instead, so I don't have to mess around with wires. And when I buy it, I'll have to go back to the same store when the manager is around. :smallwink:

Rawhide
2008-07-27, 06:24 AM
Honestly, if I'm kicking someone's proverbial ass in SSB[M/B], I change to a different character I don't know so well. Not only does it level the playing playing field and gives me experience and learning with other characters, but it makes it more fun for both parties.

Jibar
2008-07-27, 06:46 AM
The problem is that I use every character already (apart from the Ice Climbers. Stupid Ice Climbers), and I'm good with all of them as well.
I believe you underestimate just how much I play this game Rawhide.

Dihan
2008-07-27, 06:46 AM
Honestly, if I'm kicking someone's proverbial ass in SSB[M/B], I change to a different character I don't know so well. Not only does it level the playing playing field and gives me experience and learning with other characters, but it makes it more fun for both parties.

Same, but then I still win. The only character I've never touched is Wario... I'd rather not touch him either.

I use Zelda and Game and Watch the most. My friends get fed up of me winning with them so they make me pick another. I tried Falco, Zero Suit Samus, Ganondorf, Luigi and Pit among others and they still lost. They then decided to 3v1 me with me using those characters. I lost a few times, but I won the most with Ganondorf and Zero Suit Samus.

I even used to win all the time against them with Mewtwo and Pichu in Melee!

Rawhide
2008-07-27, 06:50 AM
Ice Climbers rock.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 06:52 AM
I don't know much about SSBB, but asre your friends making any obvious mistakes a lot, Doihaveaname? That could explain why they job to you as often as they do regardless of your character.

Calamity
2008-07-27, 06:59 AM
I don't have SSBB. (Oh, how I wish I had). But I always frustrate my friends when I play Beat Em' Up games with them. So much so now that whenever we play they gang up on me first.

Still, I'm an expert at evading thier attacks. :smallwink:

Dihan
2008-07-27, 07:18 AM
I don't know much about SSBB, but asre your friends making any obvious mistakes a lot, Doihaveaname? That could explain why they job to you as often as they do regardless of your character.

I'm just a better player than them. I'm sure they don't know how to shield or dodge.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 07:21 AM
You could suggest that they try some battles with you where they do nothing but use defensive moves. That would hopefully get them into the habit of using them during real fights.

Dihan
2008-07-27, 07:23 AM
They don't see the point though. One of them does shield a tiny bit but the other two just rely on the same tactics and never shield because "it doesn't do damage"...

They're the kind of people who would teach a fire Pokemon all fire moves, or a water Pokemon all water moves.

Jibar
2008-07-27, 07:26 AM
When truly the greatest idea is to get a Starmie and teach it Thunder and Psychic and laugh evilly as it remains undefeated forever.
Ah... I miss my Blue/Red team.

I shield and dodge all the time, and I'm trying desperately to teach sis' boyfriend to do the same. Mostly so if we try and do Subspace together he won't die so much.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 07:30 AM
That sounds annoying, Doihaveaname (I can't see any reason why they shouldn't alter their blatantly ineffective tactics). How can Starmies be made invincible with Psychic and Lightning moves, Jibar? I've not played enough Pokemon games to know how it would work.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-27, 07:31 AM
When truly the greatest idea is to get a Starmie and teach it Thunder and Psychic and laugh evilly as it remains undefeated forever.
Ah... I miss my Blue/Red team.

I shield and dodge all the time, and I'm trying desperately to teach sis' boyfriend to do the same. Mostly so if we try and do Subspace together he won't die so much.

Did that in pokemon silver.
lvl 87 starmie. undefeated.

Dihan
2008-07-27, 07:35 AM
That sounds annoying, Doihaveaname (I can't see any reason why they shouldn't alter their blatantly ineffective tactics). How can Starmies be made invincible with Psychic and Lightning moves, Jibar? I've not played enough Pokemon games to know how it would work.

They get STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) from the Psychic, and bother Thunder and Psychic use Special Attack. Starmie is VERY fast.

I'd personally give it Thunderbolt though. Unless you have Rain Dance of course.

Totally Guy
2008-07-27, 07:35 AM
I've come to random banter for advice as this doesn't deserve it's own thread. I keep forgetting one of my best friend's names. No. What's actually happening is that my friend is changing her name wants to be called by another name. I'm just so used to called her by her female name that it's instinctive. Plus while I like the long version of the male name she's got everyone shortens it to a name I don't like, a kid with that name used to bully my brother.

Anyway, any tips for severing the instinct for the name I know and rebuilding the new name.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-27, 07:36 AM
Call her Obzy for a month. Then you´l get it.