PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Artefact Ideas

Totally Guy
2008-07-07, 06:45 AM
I read the Artefact chapter in the DMG yesterday and although there are only 4 example Artefacts, 2 of them being evil, there is a good scope for homebrewed unique items.

Then I found myself thinking about an idea I'd toyed with for the party to meet some kind of mascot animal that just followed them around. Well what if the mascot animal was in fact using the artefact rules? The animal might give a bonus to diplomacy and perception if treated well. It might attempt some small amount of sabotage to the party if mistreated.

Mood table
Mascot is attacked by anything -2
Party feed it +1 once /day
Party acknowledge it in a part of an RP +1 once / day
Party try to involve it in an encounter -1

Of course normally it would be attuned to an individual choosing the party instead gives equal spotlight to the players involved.

And of course the whole time the players are unaware of any mechanical effects.

Has anyone else got any unusual plans for this technique? Or an artefact to share?

Starbuck_II
2008-07-07, 12:19 PM
I read the Artefact chapter in the DMG yesterday and although there are only 4 example Artefacts, 2 of them being evil, there is a good scope for homebrewed unique items.

Then I found myself thinking about an idea I'd toyed with for the party to meet some kind of mascot animal that just followed them around. Well what if the mascot animal was in fact using the artefact rules? The animal might give a bonus to diplomacy and perception if treated well. It might attempt some small amount of sabotage to the party if mistreated.

Mood table
Mascot is attacked by anything -2
Party feed it +1 once /day
Party acknowledge it in a part of an RP +1 once / day
Party try to involve it in an encounter -1

Of course normally it would be attuned to an individual choosing the party instead gives equal spotlight to the players involved.

And of course the whole time the players are unaware of any mechanical effects.

Has anyone else got any unusual plans for this technique? Or an artefact to share?

Looks good.

I rather like the new Artifacts meself. Though, wish we had a few more in DMG.

nargbop
2008-07-07, 05:58 PM
Cat of Cattiness
====
Does not participate in fights or diplomacy, nor any other human activity. Usually staring off into space or batting at flies. If contact is attempted, the cat ignores everything in its local vicinity and immediately falls asleep.

+100 to everything. Foes flee at its approach.